Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• They are mummy's boys and hubbys. It's more than just an acting role.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    One thing I have noticed about Bond is, he doesn't look like the everyday man. There's always something unique about his face. Like ATJ, I partly buy Mescal's Bond rumours because of that.

Yeah that's true mate. It's the one thing all the actors have in common (Perhaps Lazenby was the only exception ironically with him being a model)
    But they all have that unique look
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Leo Suter remains the only young actor I can really see in the role. The acting ability, physicality, voice and charisma are all there.

The whole of this short can be seen at channel4.com. Suter plays an actor called David Murphy. Ironically, in the film, an internet search reveals James Bond next to Murphy's name!

+1
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I’ve never really warmed to Suter to be honest. He’s a good enough actor and he might do an amazing job. Who’s to say? But every time I see him he just reads as a generic action hero rather than James Bond. In my opinion he’s more of a Jack Ryan or Jack Reacher or even Jason Bourne, not James Bond.
    One person’s generic is another’s classical; I can understand not wanting to cast a cookie cutter good looking guy , but, for me, going too far out of the box would be very alienating.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    They are mummy's boys and hubbys. It's more than just an acting role.

Would you care to elaborate?

Nah. Think about the long term responsibility.
    They are mummy's boys and hubbys. It's more than just an acting role.

Sure, but Connery, Moore, Brosnan, and Craig were all married for at least some of their tenures. I don't know about the 'mummy's boy' thing.

Sure, but Connery, Moore, Brosnan, and Craig were all married for at least some of their tenures. I don't know about the 'mummy's boy' thing.

Oh I didn't know that. However, it would be good (for the fantasy aspect of the character) to appear "available" to audiences. We are in the The Experience Age after all.

I check out actors' interviews mostly. The first one I watched he was talking about his mum, haha, I'm trying to say they are just young men.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,938
    Tbf, there is something in this. After Craig, I'd say it's a given that the actor who plays Bond should have some innate masculine presence and weight about him - and I'm not seeing much of that, tbh. Even on a superficial level, some of these guys just look too boyish for it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Venutius wrote: »
    Tbf, there is something in this. After Craig, I'd say it's a given that the actor who plays Bond should have some innate masculine presence and weight about him - and I'm not seeing much of that, tbh. Even on a superficial level, some of these guys just look too boyish for it.

Except Sope Dirisu.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Suter is my choice for the role admittedly, but objectively his casting would tick a lot of boxes I think is vital to be the next Bond.
    Age, look, acting ability and voice espicially. I think his age and his lack of fame at this point are in his favour
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Suter is my choice for the role admittedly, but objectively his casting would tick a lot of boxes I think is vital to be the next Bond.
    Age, look, acting ability and voice espicially. I think his age and his lack of fame at this point are in his favour

Absolutely; he has the right mixture of charm and the capacity for brutal physicality. His lack of being strongly associated with another character is definitely a plus; if cast he will become James Bond. That is all the public will see him as.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My assignment this week: watch something that Suter is in.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    peter wrote: »
    Except Sope Dirisu.
    Agreed. Sope's got more of the qualities needed to play Bond than any other prospective candidate (again, IMO) and that masculinity and presence are definitely there. Combine that with his ability to play intelligence, wit, guile and empathy and he could be a great Bond, given the chance.
  • How is Sope pronounced? Is it like soap?
  • I still haven’t checked out Sope in anything I’m afraid. But then again I haven’t really familiarized myself with any of these other candidates as well.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Going back to Callum Turner quickly. Just wanted to say that I'm really intigued to see him in Masters of the Air.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.manners.nl%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2023%2F10%2FMastersOfTheAir_102_90955F-1.jpg
    c393eefa7a33d23e1088fd758df5051d384efd01.jpg
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 305
    Sounds completely made up....
    How is Sope pronounced? Is it like soap?

Lol

In the old days actors had names that sounded like actors. Rock Hudson, Tyrone Power, Marilyn Monroe etc. ;)
    Venutius wrote: »
    Somewhat oddly, there's a vague similarity between Callum Turner and Hoagy Carmichael in some shots. Lookswise, he's not what I'd want as Bond, tbh - but then neither was Dan until I actually saw CR! So, I'm happy to give most of them the benefit of the doubt this time around.

My guess is that's very likely to happen with Bond actor #7. Some fans may not be super excited by the casting, may not like his appearance or whatever, but give him the benefit of the doubt. Daniel Craig got a mixed reception when cast but most fans accepted him after seeing CR.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 566
    How is Sope pronounced? Is it like soap?

I think it's pronounced show-pay.

EDIT: Or possibly shopay (like shop).
  • Tom Bateman has the look but don't know if he is a good actor.
    bondywondy wrote: »
    In the old days actors had names that sounded like actors. Rock Hudson, Tyrone Power, Marilyn Monroe etc. ;)

Rock Hudson was born Roy Scherer Jr. and Marilyn Monroe was Norma Jeane Mortenson. Do they sound like actors?
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    This is, what's the word, sweet?

Mescal doesn't read Bond to me, but he is very charismatic. The press tours will be fun.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,383
    One thing I have noticed about a Bond candidate is, until they nail their own scene, they don't look Bond. The thing is, because we keep imagining them in scenes from the previous Bond. Just like some people imagined Craig in Brosnan's Bond scenes and they couldn't see it, until Craig's Bond said "Yes, Considerably". Now we would also be imagining the new Bond in Craig's Bond scenes and it wouldn't work, because he's not Craig's Bond. My point is, we won't see a Bond candidate as Bond, until he appears as Bond and creates his own Bond world.
  • Peter's obsession with Sope Dirisu is getting even more intense than my obsession with Nolan. 😂 (Just teasing!)
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 305
    bondywondy wrote: »

Rock Hudson was born Roy Scherer Jr. and Marilyn Monroe was Norma Jeane Mortenson. Do they sound like actors?

No but they had the good sense (or the studio had the good sense) to change it. Sean Connery was Thomas Connery. Cary Grant was Archibald Leach. Michael Caine was Maurice Micklewhite.

I guess it's less fashionable to change names these days. Recent Doctor Who actor David Tennant is David McDonald. One advantage of changing your name - it may sound more memorable and suit your acting persona. Cary Grant sounds more 'film star' than Archibald Leach. And Brandon Stone* may sound more memorable than Sope Dirisu.

*Just a random name I came up with.

;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Going back to Callum Turner quickly. Just wanted to say that I'm really intigued to see him in Masters of the Air.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.manners.nl%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2023%2F10%2FMastersOfTheAir_102_90955F-1.jpg
    Continuing on the Callum Turner train, I still think he's worth of screentest and he's got such an interesting look that I feel with the required training he'd look even more suited to the role.

231213_V_MAN_02_060_Digital-1577x2048.jpg
    231213_V_MAN_01_070_Digital.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Continuing on the Callum Turner train, I still think he's worth of screentest and he's got such an interesting look that I feel with the required training he'd look even more suited to the role.

It looks like you're alone on that train @Denbigh. I'll join you for the journey and say while he's not someone I'd choose, I do agree that he has an interesting look.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

It looks like you're alone on that train @Denbigh. I'll join you for the journey and say while he's not someone I'd choose, I do agree that he has an interesting look.
    Yeah I noticed there were a few empty seats on this train haha ;)
    I’m not in the train either but will say that in interviews I find him to be impressive. While generally not a fan of his look that shot of him in the aviator gear shows a glimmer of potential. It that an outlier or is he improving with age?