Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited December 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Venutius wrote: »
    Try this:

'How many were there? Six?'
    'Eight - but I had a dart, so...'
    Classic.

Bland. Does nothing for me, I’m afraid. Don’t like his voice or accent, btw. Just hear Dalton or Craig speak, they make him sound like a little boy.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    If only. DDL would have nailed the part so hard it would have brought Fleming back to life. Old article, but interesting read nonetheless.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/james-bond-daniel-daylewis-would-make-ideal-007-says-solo-author-william-boyd-8839104.html#comments-area

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,935
    It's true that Sope doesn't have the same level of charisma and acting ability as Craig - but that shouldn't rule him out, because nor does anyone else that's been suggested so far. IMO, obvs. And it's not as if he's lacking in ability or charisma - far from it. Bland? Comparing Sope with the various other suggestions, I'd say that he has more of the necessary masculine presence, swagger and charm, but also the vulnerability, sincerity and empathy needed in the actor that plays Bond.
    Could Sope hold his own in a dramatic scene with the likes of Mads Mikkelson? Is it realistic to think he'd be able to seduce women of the calibre of a 30-year-old Monica Bellucci? Does he look like he could put up a decent fight with Mr. Hinx before having the intelligence to resort to his wits to win? I'd say yes to all three. Can't think of any of the others who I'd say could do all three, tbh. But each to their own, so fair enough. I don't think it's going to be Sope, anyway - I don't think EON either want to or are ready to take the leap. And that's also fair enough - Bond's their character, after all.
    It's true that Sope doesn't have the same level of charisma and acting ability as Craig - but that shouldn't rule him out, because nor does anyone else that's been suggested so far. IMO, obvs. And it's not as if he's lacking in ability or charisma - far from it. Bland? Comparing Sope with the various other suggestions, I'd say that he has more of the necessary masculine presence, swagger and charm, but also the vulnerability, sincerity and empathy needed in the actor that plays Bond.
    Could Sope hold his own in a dramatic scene with the likes of Mads Mikkelson? Is it realistic to think he'd be able to seduce women of the calibre of a 30-year-old Monica Bellucci? Does he look like he could put up a decent fight with Mr. Hinx before having the intelligence to resort to his wits to win? I'd say yes to all three. Can't think of any of the others who I'd say could do all three, tbh. But each to their own, so fair enough. I don't think it's going to be Sope, anyway - I don't think EON either want to or are ready to take the leap. And that's also fair enough - Bond's their character, after all.

I will say that Callum Turner could conceivably do all that, plus he has a great voice.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2023 Posts: 5,869
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    ...plus he has a great voice.
    He sure does :)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,935
    Somewhat oddly, there's a vague similarity between Callum Turner and Hoagy Carmichael in some shots. Lookswise, he's not what I'd want as Bond, tbh - but then neither was Dan until I actually saw CR! So, I'm happy to give most of them the benefit of the doubt this time around.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Somewhat oddly, there's a vague similarity between Callum Turner and Hoagy Carmichael in some shots. Lookswise, he's not what I'd want as Bond, tbh - but then neither was Dan until I actually saw CR! So, I'm happy to give most of them the benefit of the doubt this time around.
    I agree with Callum sometimes having a Carmichael vibe. I think what would be interesting to see is what he'd look like after going through the training that's required a James Bond actor. He's not really been a part of any kind of action film so hasn't really had to train in that way, so as I said would be really interesting to see.

Maybe he'd be higher on other people's lists if we saw that of him, but I think for me I just see a lot of potential already and, unlike actors like Sam Claflin and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (as much as they're also in my list of top choices), he's quite unknown among general audiences so really has a opportunity to really become James Bond in the public eye.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Callum Turner is a fine actor, no doubt about it. But he lacks that tough, masculine edge that Bond needs to have.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Benny wrote: »
    But he lacks that tough, masculine edge that Bond needs to have.
    I generally disagree personally, I think he does but even so, I think again things like that can be portrayed through acting and helped by training. As I’ve said before we’re looking for someone to portray and become James Bond on screen, not be James Bond in their day to day.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Callum Turner is a fine actor, no doubt about it. But he lacks that tough, masculine edge that Bond needs to have.

This is how I feel about most of the candidates to be honest. Most would be more suited following on from Pierce rather than Daniel
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I agree with Callum sometimes having a Carmichael vibe. I think what would be interesting to see is what he'd look like after going through the training that's required a James Bond actor. He's not really been a part of any kind of action film so hasn't really had to train in that way, so as I said would be really interesting to see.

Maybe he'd be higher on other people's lists if we saw that of him, but I think for me I just see a lot of potential already and, unlike actors like Sam Claflin and Aaron Taylor-Johnson (as much as they're also in my list of top choices), he's quite unknown among general audiences so really has a opportunity to really become James Bond in the public eye.

He looks like a BBC presenter.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    echo wrote: »

What BBC programmes are you watching?

I’m starting to get the impression that the only way some of you will find your ideal 007, is if he’s created by AI…

Not seen him in much so can’t comment… but I must say he’s going an admirable job of trying to talk fondly about a Fantastic Beasts film (not an easy thing to do). So I suspect he’s a pretty decent actor.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

What BBC programmes are you watching?

I’m starting to get the impression that the only way some of you will find your ideal 007, is if he’s created by AI…

Haha. I think many are still in the trenches of 2015/2016 and don't recognize just how far the front has moved.
    If only. DDL would have nailed the part so hard it would have brought Fleming back to life. Old article, but interesting read nonetheless.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/james-bond-daniel-daylewis-would-make-ideal-007-says-solo-author-william-boyd-8839104.html#comments-area

Considering how boring solo was honestly i dont want him making 007 decisions
    Univex wrote: »
    Try this:

'How many were there? Six?'
    'Eight - but I had a dart, so...'
    Classic.

Bland. Does nothing for me, I’m afraid. Don’t like his voice or accent, btw. Just hear Dalton or Craig speak, they make him sound like a little boy.

Same here. Looks to me like box standard tough guy persona. Nothing bad per se, but nothing outstanding either.

Example?
  • Ok, after all those pages of rather, how do I put that, woke-discussions, I'm sorry I didn't check them all to see if this guy's been mentioned. But I saw 'The Invitation' last night, and though it's a rather forgettable film, I did like Thomas Doherty in it. Still very young and up and coming actor. And he's a Scot, which perhaps works.
    TD%201.jpeg
    4d51b2c2959cd4fb57a111009fdcdb39b449bca7.gifv

The-Invitation-Cast-Netflix-Thomas-Doherty-De-Ville-2048x1063.jpg

That's the movie that put him on my radar as well. He looks like Connery for sure. But, it was more than that for me. This role wasn't very Bondian it was much to not spoil anything darker but, I can see him becoming Bond because it is acting and if he can go that dark he'd easily be able to go Bond I think.

The Dior behind the scenes stuff previously posted where interesting as he comes across as a almost boyish Sean Connery but in The Invitation there's none of that
  • 007HallY wrote: »
    Sutter’s another one who gives me similar vibes to Henry Cavill. There’s just something a bit too conventional about him for Bond, and I don’t personally see anything that makes him stand out. As usual that’s nothing against him, and I’m happy to be wrong (I tend to be drawn to more left field candidates anyway).

007HallY wrote: »
    I dunno, I suppose with Suter he’s the kind of actor whose face I struggle to remember even if I’ve seen him in multiple roles. He’s a good looking boy, certainly can do charm, has a good physique, nice voice but…. I dunno, as Bond it doesn’t click for me. He doesn’t quite have something distinct like the blue eyes that Craig or Moore had, or that hint of darkness to his face that Craig, Connery and Dalton did. His charm doesn’t quite have that raw magnetism from what I’ve seen. His physique is good but I can’t say about his physicality as these are different and I don’t have enough to go on. His natural voice onscreen is almost a bit too posh without the intonation or deepness of Moore or Craig, and consequently to me he comes off as more ‘nice but not overly clever’ former public school boy rather than James Bond, and more importantly it’s a vibe I get in some of his performances.

Again, I could be wrong, and he is legit a good actor, but there’s just something that doesn’t quite click in place with him as 007 for me.

I'm the one that first mentioned Suter here a couple years ago, back when nobody knew who he was. I do agree with you mostly (I hate conventional too and Cavill is my least favorite candidate), but however I will point out that he came across much differently in his role in a show called Beecham House, which is what I first saw him in and why I threw his name out at the time.

It was this period drama show that takes place in India where he plays the main character's (played by Tom Bateman, who was also fairly Bond-like, but in a more Dalton way) younger womanizing brother. He was more of a "bad boy" character that had a darker side to him and an arrogance that was very Bond-like. I'm glad he ended up getting a big role, but in the Vikings show he's a big, wholesome hunk and honestly kind of boring. But he almost seemed like a different person in Beecham House. Also charming, but in a different way.

So I'd recommend someone watching that if you want to better see how he'd be as Bond (though you have to get past his young age in the show). Not that it's that great of a show though. But you can also see how Tom Bateman would be, and there are also a couple beautiful Indian actresses (that Suter's character flirts with of course) that would make great Bond Girls. Suter in Beecham House:

6005bcd18bf313ed92c6f090cee6221c.jpg

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Great shout mate. Suter is my favourite choice for the role, I think he's worthy of a screentest at least. He ticks all the boxes
    Sutter’s another one who gives me similar vibes to Henry Cavill. There’s just something a bit too conventional about him for Bond, and I don’t personally see anything that makes him stand out. As usual that’s nothing against him, and I’m happy to be wrong (I tend to be drawn to more left field candidates anyway).

I dunno, I suppose with Suter he’s the kind of actor whose face I struggle to remember even if I’ve seen him in multiple roles. He’s a good looking boy, certainly can do charm, has a good physique, nice voice but…. I dunno, as Bond it doesn’t click for me. He doesn’t quite have something distinct like the blue eyes that Craig or Moore had, or that hint of darkness to his face that Craig, Connery and Dalton did. His charm doesn’t quite have that raw magnetism from what I’ve seen. His physique is good but I can’t say about his physicality as these are different and I don’t have enough to go on. His natural voice onscreen is almost a bit too posh without the intonation or deepness of Moore or Craig, and consequently to me he comes off as more ‘nice but not overly clever’ former public school boy rather than James Bond, and more importantly it’s a vibe I get in some of his performances.

Again, I could be wrong, and he is legit a good actor, but there’s just something that doesn’t quite click in place with him as 007 for me.

I'm the one that first mentioned Suter here a couple years ago, back when nobody knew who he was. I do agree with you mostly (I hate conventional too and Cavill is my least favorite candidate), but however I will point out that he came across much differently in his role in a show called Beecham House, which is what I first saw him in and why I threw his name out at the time.

It was this period drama show that takes place in India where he plays the main character's (played by Tom Bateman, who was also fairly Bond-like, but in a more Dalton way) younger womanizing brother. He was more of a "bad boy" character that had a darker side to him and an arrogance that was very Bond-like. I'm glad he ended up getting a big role, but in the Vikings show he's a big, wholesome hunk and honestly kind of boring. But he almost seemed like a different person in Beecham House. Also charming, but in a different way.

So I'd recommend someone watching that if you want to better see how he'd be as Bond (though you have to get past his young age in the show). Not that it's that great of a show though. But you can also see how Tom Bateman would be, and there are also a couple beautiful Indian actresses (that Suter's character flirts with of course) that would make great Bond Girls. Suter in Beecham House:

6005bcd18bf313ed92c6f090cee6221c.jpg

Fair enough, I’ll have to check that one out then as I’ve not seen it.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 155
    Well Nolan 'dropped' out
    Well Nolan 'dropped' out

Did he ever 'drop in' ?
    edited December 2023 Posts: 155
    Well Nolan 'dropped' out

Did he ever 'drop in' ?

Nolan was recently (again) openly flirting with the idea of directing Bond. He preferred to do period Bond, following the books but I don't think that went down well with Barbara. Alas, my hopes and dreams are in tatters now ;)

https://screenrant.com/bond-26-christopher-nolan-not-direct-good/
    Don't worry old chap, you're forgetting we will get a new Bond film. Who knows when is a mystery. Also, it won't be starring Daniel Craig, so that should make you happy too.
    Everything is coming up roses for you. ;)
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Well Nolan 'dropped' out

Did he ever 'drop in' ?

Nolan was recently (again) openly flirting with the idea of directing Bond. He preferred to do period Bond, following the books but I don't think that went down well with Barbara. Alas, my hopes and dreams are in tatters now ;)

https://screenrant.com/bond-26-christopher-nolan-not-direct-good/

As far as I'm aware that was just a rumour. Nothing was ever actually confirmed.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I think we should take Eon at their word that they haven't started professional discussions with actors or talent yet, and we should take Nolan on his word that he hasn't been approached to do it (yet).

Those are true statements and leave room for possibilities, as neither party would reveal their cards, especially right now during what could be negotiations.
  • LucknFate wrote: »
    I think we should take Eon at their word that they haven't started professional discussions with actors or talent yet, and we should take Nolan on his word that he hasn't been approached to do it (yet).

Those are true statements and leave room for possibilities, as neither party would reveal their cards, especially right now during what could be negotiations.

True, I also think fans should brace themselves for the possibility of Nolan having no involvement with B26.
  • Leo Suter remains the only young actor I can really see in the role. The acting ability, physicality, voice and charisma are all there.

The whole of this short can be seen at channel4.com. Suter plays an actor called David Murphy. Ironically, in the film, an internet search reveals James Bond next to Murphy's name!

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,381
    One thing I have noticed about Bond is, he doesn't look like the everyday man. There's always something unique about his face. Like ATJ, I partly buy Mescal's Bond rumours because of that.