Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Covid isn't any differnt from the flu anymore, other than it beeing a different family of corona-virusses. And @j_w_pepper , some people are just immune to it, because they've had a different corona-virus before, or are just not suseptible. My father, in his seventies, didn't get ill, even though his wife was rather ill from it for 6,7 weeks. My wife never caught the virus but was quite ill from vaccination, I got it twice, but it didn't do much. It's just another desease we'll have to live with. Thankfully, the lethal versions are now all gone.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Covid isn't any differnt from the flu anymore, other than it beeing a different family of corona-virusses. And @j_w_pepper , some people are just immune to it, because they've had a different corona-virus before, or are just not suseptible. My father, in his seventies, didn't get ill, even though his wife was rather ill from it for 6,7 weeks. My wife never caught the virus but was quite ill from vaccination, I got it twice, but it didn't do much. It's just another desease we'll have to live with. Thankfully, the lethal versions are now all gone.

While I agree with your conclusions (in that it seems that finally Covid-19 is no longer worse than a flu), my understanding is that the influenza virus is not another type of coronavirus, but a different kind of virus altogether. Anyway, I got my shots today and don't feel anything negative except when touching the puncture sites (left and right), but the latter is normal with whatever vaccination one gets.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

While I agree with your conclusions (in that it seems that finally Covid-19 is no longer worse than a flu), my understanding is that the influenza virus is not another type of coronavirus, but a different kind of virus altogether. Anyway, I got my shots today and don't feel anything negative except when touching the puncture sites (left and right), but the latter is normal with whatever vaccination one gets.

You're right, I was mistaken, some of the common cold virusses are corona-virusses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

(and have been around far longer than Covid.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2023 Posts: 17,816

You're right, I was mistaken, some of the common cold virusses are corona-virusses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

There's talk that there's a new Covid variant coming from China and there have been a lot of cases of something called white lung syndrome pneumonia recently. China does seem to have a knack for being a kind of state plague factory. Not sure what's going on there but being a dictatorship it's no doubt more interested in covering things up than providing the answers. Unnatural habits (such as selling and eating bats) and poor hygiene may go some way to explaining it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

There's talk that there's a new Covid variant coming from China and there have been a lot of cases of something called white lung syndrome pneumonia recently. China does seem to have a knack for being a kind of state plague factory. Not sure what's going on there but being a dictatorship it's no doubt more interested in covering things up than providing the answers. Unnatural habits (such as selling and eating bats) and poor hygiene may go some way to explaining it.

Depends on what you call "unnatural habits". Industrial livestock farming played its role in the BSE outbreak and consecutive vCJD cases in humans (although there were "only" about 230 of these as the latest figure I could find...compare this to Covid casualties). And there are lots of people in the world who consider our obsession with eating pork "unnatural", especially produced from pigs being crowded together under conditions which are clearly unnatural indeed. (Disclosure: I love eating meat, but try to purchase it from where I can be half-way certain the animals haven't suffered so much in their short life.)

Depends on what you call "unnatural habits". Industrial livestock farming played its role in the BSE outbreak and consecutive vCJD cases in humans (although there were "only" about 230 of these as the latest figure I could find...compare this to Covid casualties). And there are lots of people in the world who consider our obsession with eating pork "unnatural", especially produced from pigs being crowded together under conditions which are clearly unnatural indeed. (Disclosure: I love eating meat, but try to purchase it from where I can be half-way certain the animals haven't suffered so much in their short life.)

Indeed, they do have a point. At the same time, in many places in China hygene is abysmal, and eating animals that are known virus carriers like baats, rats and pigeaons certainly isn't helping either. At least our bused and stuffed animals have been cleaned of virusses as much as possible...
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 1,641
    Munich & Scottland-drownd in-snow-now

similar happnd 55 yrs ago in swiss 1968 whn OHMSS filmd
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    In the last four months I have had:
    A twisted ankle leading to a partly ruptured tendon (still need a brace when working out),
    back spasms that meant I could only lay flat or walk for three days,
    several minor tooth operations,
    a bike accident that lead to both hands being bandaged for two days,
    a broken finger (seperate from the bike thing),
    and now what I strongly suspect to be plantar fasciitis.
    Meaning all four of my extremitis as well as my back have been hurt in some way and I think I've been at some kind of doctor's office on average once a week since the summer. Seriously, why??!!

(I mean, I know it's at least partly, because I am overweight. But still. WHY??!!)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,434
    In the last four months I have had:
    A twisted ankle leading to a partly ruptured tendon (still need a brace when working out),
    back spasms that meant I could only lay flat or walk for three days,
    several minor tooth operations,
    a bike accident that lead to both hands being bandaged for two days,
    a broken finger (seperate from the bike thing),
    and now what I strongly suspect to be plantar fasciitis.
    Meaning all four of my extremitis as well as my back have been hurt in some way and I think I've been at some kind of doctor's office on average once a week since the summer. Seriously, why??!!

(I mean, I know it's at least partly, because I am overweight. But still. WHY??!!)

Very sorry for your pain and hope some remedies come soon. I recently did a bout of physical therapy that came with weekly massages and it really, really helped my back! Highly recommend if you have insurance etc. and don't mind another office visit. They would massage me and then the therapist would do cupping techniques to pull blood into tight areas around my spine and it worked a trick! So long as I stretch etc. like a good boy it should keep up alright. Massage might also help the foot, and you might want physical therapy for the injured hands in time anyway!
    Went to the local M&S today for Christmas food shop. They have plenty of desserts, but barely anything else.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Went to the local M&S today for Christmas food shop. They have plenty of desserts, but barely anything else.

You could say that the shop was desserted.
    Simply their just desserts.

Ouch. That said their buches de Noel were great.

You can always rely on me to ignore the basic rules of comedy and deliver some terrible puns.

You can always rely on me to ignore the basic rules of comedy and deliver some terrible puns.

Well that didn't make me laugh, but I did smile.

No but more seriously, I'm really getting worried about Christmas Dinner. It's like there's nothing anywhere this year. And my wife is vegetarian, which makes things more challenging.

No but more seriously, I'm really getting worried about Christmas Dinner. It's like there's nothing anywhere this year. And my wife is vegetarian, which makes things more challenging.

It is a stressful time of year in retail environments. Hopefully the other big supermarkets like Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys still have stuff left and will surely have more Christmas food stock coming in?
    Having started collecting 4K Blu-Rays this year, I’ve run into the annoying issue of some titles I want only being available in the Steelbook format (The Wicker Man, Matilda), and I don’t like Steelbooks. Does anyone know if these exclusives usually end up on the normal format later on, or should I expect it to be permanently Steelbook only?

Don't worry, it's worse in France. Here, M & S has been one of the early victims of Brexit. Now, it's been taken over by a french chain, which only sells non-perishable M & S products. So, no more Scotch eggs for me.

No, my turn : this morning, at work, I was tasked with sorting the "Return to Sender" letters. And I'm still baffled by the number of letters I see where the "Return to Sender" stickers has been put... on the sender's address ! Can you tell me how I'm supposed to do my job in this conditions ?
    You see, you should never have left us. ;)

:))

Yes, we now really know what "continent isolated" means.
    Lord Dragonpun.

Alright alright I'm going let me get my coat alright?

Yes, we now really know what "continent isolated" means.

And they say that the British have terrible food... ;)
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Lord Dragonpun.

Alright alright I'm going let me get my coat alright?

It's still better than Lord Dragonpoo. I don't think anyone's called me that yet. 8-X

I'm so insanely funny I should really be called Lord DragonLOL. :D

As someone here once observed, Dragonpol is an immensely punable name. So, it therefore fits me like a glove.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,973
    Speaking of gloves there, Draggin'pole.
    Lord Dragonball.

64913dd80f965ab83fb21cc170623ffe.jpg
    QBranch wrote: »
    Speaking of gloves there, Draggin'pole.

The gloves are off!

24_e254a778-277a-4369-b214-a141f0f88cab_1800x1800.jpg?v=1659575873

No more Mr Nice Dragon! ;)
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Lord Dragonball.

64913dd80f965ab83fb21cc170623ffe.jpg

I like Nick Nack's funky new hairstyle!

It is a stressful time of year in retail environments. Hopefully the other big supermarkets like Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys still have stuff left and will surely have more Christmas food stock coming in?

I've been to Lidl today. Interesting stuff, but mostly cheese and bread type things. Got back to M&S and found a little more. But need to get back closer to the date for lots of fresh stuff. Alcohol wise I should be okay.

I've been to Lidl today. Interesting stuff, but mostly cheese and bread type things. Got back to M&S and found a little more. But need to get back closer to the date for lots of fresh stuff. Alcohol wise I should be okay.

Yes, they should have Christmas stock in again pretty soon as they'll want to maximise their sales in the run up to the big day. Hope you get all you need in order to make Christmas a special time for you and your family. 🎄
    That's why the Lidls and Aldis of this world generally start selling Christmas stuff in September, so people can stock up in time.