Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    there's no going back. What did I get myself into?
    I'd say do the 'guy thing' and make a complete 'orrible mess of it, so you never get asked to do it again - but that won't work if you're actually really good at baking cakes and have been doing it for years, eh! Ah, well, back to the mixing bowl, mate...

I've been doing it for years, I'm just not very good. In the end we did it together, with only two layers. She did most of the work I must say, but I did the washing up.

Where's Nick Nack when you need him?!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    there's no going back. What did I get myself into?
    I'd say do the 'guy thing' and make a complete 'orrible mess of it, so you never get asked to do it again - but that won't work if you're actually really good at baking cakes and have been doing it for years, eh! Ah, well, back to the mixing bowl, mate...

I've been doing it for years, I'm just not very good. In the end we did it together, with only two layers. She did most of the work I must say, but I did the washing up.

Where's Nick Nack when you need him?!

He was last seen in the basement, looking for the Tabasco.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Something that has always annoyed me are those conspiracy theory tropes that go "[Celebrity that died at a young age] faked their death" or "[Celebrity who's 30+ years old] is actually dead and was replaced by a lookalike".
    edited November 2023 Posts: 17,809
    Something that has always annoyed me are those conspiracy theory tropes that go "[Celebrity that died at a young age] faked their death" or "[Celebrity who's 30+ years old] is actually dead and was replaced by a lookalike".

I saw some clickbait like that the other day concerning celebrities who were going to be sued for libel by the Bank of England. When you clicked on the headline it looked like a BBC News page but it was soon clear it was a scam wanting you to get involved in a get rich quick scheme. It's shocking how much false information is out there these days and sadly some people are taken in by it too.

Edit: Here's one of the dodgy links I found:

https://novcapi.com/swggy.php?camp_id=69734&clickid=193d07002b4445a58ea5f0ceb2bdfc1a&creative_id=1020993086&eng_click=193d07002b4445a58ea5f0ceb2bdfc1a&eng_source=241060&eng_subid=null&key=stn1nlvmz6poafotje9e&pixel=236274&website=241060&widget=241060
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Better still, young actor dies. "Killed by Covid vaccines and you're next." Sure.
    I've seen local accidents called "murder" just to get you to click on them. Such fakery and clickbait is an iniquitous thing, as I point out in my latest thread:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/21514/the-perils-of-the-democratisation-of-the-internet-and-the-rise-of-the-expert-commentator
    edited November 2023 Posts: 989
    No but for real, people always try to find "evidence" for those kind of theories i mentioned earlier, and that "evidence" always ends up being utter nonsense, just watch.
    No but for real, people always try to find "evidence" for those kind of theories i mentioned earlier, and that "evidence" always ends up being utter nonsense, just watch.

It's similar to all the theories about Paul McCartney having died in 1966 and having been replaced with a double.

It's similar to all the theories about Paul McCartney having died in 1966 and having been replaced with a double.
    Exactly, people say "they don't even look alike", ignoring the combination of natural aging, drug consume and different haircut.
    05efcaa3e21d3899451ebf45847b40c0.jpg
    Because believe me, when i look in the mirror either shaved or bearded or with long or short hair, i do notice that i look different.

Exactly, people say "they don't even look alike", ignoring the combination of natural aging, drug consume and different haircut.
    05efcaa3e21d3899451ebf45847b40c0.jpg
    Because believe me, when i look in the mirror either shaved or bearded or with long or short hair, i do notice that i look different.

Not to mention they managed to get a double who sounded the same, could write hit songs and play musical instruments. That's good going.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    And yet they must have thought it would be a great idea to have the double cross Abbey Road barefoot, as supposedly a sure sign that Paul was dead.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    And yet they must have thought it would be a great idea to have the double cross Abbey Road barefoot, as supposedly a sure sign that Paul was dead.

... along with having a VW Beetle in the photo giving his age "if he had lived" (28IF). But like all conspiracy theories, their facts were off. Paul McCartney was "27" at the time that ABBEY ROAD was released.

Yes, I'm sure walking with bare feet is a sign of something. One sign it could be is that you have no shoes.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Better still, young actor dies. "Killed by Covid vaccines and you're next." Sure.

Stuff like this makes me wish it were true (the “you’re next” part). We’re living in a Lovecraftian dystopia where man’s relentless pursuit of knowledge has given us the internet, which in turn gave us practically limitless quantities of information (both good and bad), but not the ability to process it or assess it for quality, and as a result no one trusts anything anymore and otherwise fairly benign diseases, or those that are easily treated / dealt with, kill millions.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Stuff like this makes me wish it were true (the “you’re next” part). We’re living in a Lovecraftian dystopia where man’s relentless pursuit of knowledge has given us the internet, which in turn gave us practically limitless quantities of information (both good and bad), but not the ability to process it or assess it for quality, and as a result no one trusts anything anymore and otherwise fairly benign diseases, or those that are easily treated / dealt with, kill millions.

I see. Are you in fact a James Bond villain? ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I wonder if I should clarify I meant myself regarding the "you're next" comment, not Darth. ;)
    If I were a Bond villain I'd definitely send sharks (with laser beams on their heads?) to the big internet cable in the ocean in hopes of disabling it.
    If yesterday was more or less a good day (what with the return of Doctor Who), today was not. I had decided to go to Paris to see the movie The Boy and the Heron (and if you're asking me why I go to Paris to see a movie I could see nearby, it's because in Paris, I can see it in the original japanese instead of dubbed in french). So, I had planned everything : take the bus at 12.57, take the train at 13.20, arrive at the Montparnasse station ar 13.56, which gave me ample time to buy my ticket for the 15.15 performance at the closest theater near the station.

Well, guess what ? The bus didn't arrive at the stop I was waiting for it. Which screwed up my plans big time. Because, on sundays, there's only a train by hour going to Montparnasse. I still decided to go, figuring I might be able, if I ran a little, to get a ticket for the performance I wanted to attend. So, I took the 13.27 bus, the 14.20 train, arrived at the station at the station at 14.56, walked to the theater, only to discover that there were no place anymore for that movie. DAMNIT !!!! Let's hope it will still be there next week, and that the bus service doesn't screw up my plans this time.
    Need to vent about a coworker for a minute. There is this person in my department who has always been overly loud, obnoxious, and inserting herself into everything. That’s not the main issue though - the main issue is she keeps on noisily talking politics, even in front of patrons without a care in the world. And then she took it to the next step today and wrote “go woke, go broke!” on a board that’s meant to be used for business.

Putting my own political differences out of the equation, I find it inappropriate to discuss politics and invite controversy when we’re all here to do a job. If she wants to whisper to someone who agrees and isn’t offended, fine, but stop making it everyone else’s business please. This rhetoric has become super common and made me uncomfortable, and I interpret the phrase and other things she has said as creating a non-inclusive workplace. I hate ever going to a supervisor about things like this but I felt like it was the right thing to do today, or it’d just keep escalating. Hoping everything is straightened out - no one needs or deserves this extra drama in the workplace.
    I completely agree, @FoxRox. Whether we agree with someone or not, a workplace is not where politics should be discussed, unless they directly affect the job. Still, it sounds to me like your coworker isn't at all interested in discussing politics but merely in forcing her views on everyone else. The board writing is an obvious example of that. Such an attitude is inexcusable. It makes the workplace unpleasant and unsafe.

Until she owns a business of her own, she is in no position to decide who's welcome and who isn't. No matter what her own convictions are, she has to contribute to an inclusive workspace since coworkers cannot scare others away.

I'm not a snitch myself, but I'd consider talking to my supervisor too. You did the right thing. Above all, you didn't act politically, nor ratted out someone you fundamentally disagree with. What you did was point out the toxic element in the crew, and your department will benefit from having her removed or, at least, from having her attitude 'corrected'. Being a good colleague and a valuable asset to your company is about more than the work you do. It's also about being a team player, and about doing good 'PR' for your employer by being polite, neutral, and respectful. Reporting a controversial employer who is dragging your department down is nothing if not logical.
    @DarthDimi Thank you, I very much appreciate your backing in this. The whole ordeal has made me feel like I’m in middle school again or something! I hate snitching too, I just feel like it’s gone on too long and especially the fact there may be minorities who aren’t speaking up who feel even worse than I do.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @DarthDimi Thank you, I very much appreciate your backing in this. The whole ordeal has made me feel like I’m in middle school again or something! I hate snitching too, I just feel like it’s gone on too long and especially the fact there may be minorities who aren’t speaking up who feel even worse than I do.

Yes, and that's exactly the point. Politics aside, when we go to work, we expect to be given the same chances as everyone else. When someone who doesn't know us then judges us on the basis of a characteristic that is, above all, irrelevant to the job, we cannot function well. The one who turns this into a middle school drama is your coworker. She's pointing fingers; no one at work asked her to do that.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Makes me glad that archaeology tends to attract very similar personalities, with very similar views, so conflicts like this don't arise. Or haven't done, in the 20 years I've been doing it, anyway. But a girl that used to work with us left to join Scottish Woodlands and she rang me up a bit appalled at how many Tories she was suddenly working with! Shows how you can take something for granted, eh. Sorry it's come to this, FoxRox - can't have been a great position to be in, mate.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I agree with the statements above, and personally wouldn't allow people to behave like that in my company. Mind you, plenty of companies make a political statement, I do as well with my business (no worries, not in the woke-subjects), but you can't as a single employee decide what those statements should be. And personally, this is way too extreme. Ask Bud ;-)
    I got a cold again. At least I think it's a cold. I cough as if I'm going to throw up my lungs.
    I got a cold again. At least I think it's a cold. I cough as if I'm going to throw up my lungs.

Same here. It's a cold/flu but I'm trying to work through it. It's like a computer program or virus where every day it reveals itself a bit more until it's fully implanted in your system. It starts off as hoarseness and a sore throat, then progresses to a cough, then an annoyingly constant runny nose and phlegm production. It doesn't help that it's absolutely freezing outside and in my house too to be honest. Remind me what the purpose of colds is again? I seem to have forgotten.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Same here. It's a cold/flu but I'm trying to work through it. It's like a computer program or virus where every day it reveals itself a bit more until it's fully implanted in your system. It starts off as hoarseness and a sore throat, then progresses to a cough, then an annoyingly constant runny nose and phlegm production. It doesn't help that it's absolutely freezing outside and in my house too to be honest. Remind me what the purpose of colds is again? I seem to have forgotten.

Same here, only not only myself, which is ok, but also our 5y/o, which means sleep deprication for the whole family...
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,928
    The common cold exists to make the human miserable. Or even more miserable, in my case. Oho, etc.

It's been running around lately. A very potent bug. I'm considering taking the day off tomorrow, I get so many coughing fits.

I hope it's not going to be like last year, where I spent the Christmas holidays with a fever.
    My wife had some sort of cold or mild flu-like infection for about ten days recently. According to two quick tests, at least it wasn't Covid (we seem to be about the last two persons who haven't caught that one yet). Anyway, I didn't catch that infection from her either, whatever it was. Still, I'm going to get my annual flu shot and my fifth Covid shot today. I never had a vaccination in my life that caused me any problems.
    The common cold exists to make the human miserable. Or even more miserable, in my case. Oho, etc.

I started thinking about the purpose of the common cold and flus some years ago after being infected yet again. I'm sure there's a great philosophical reason for them but the best I can come up with is that life would be too enjoyable without them. Seemingly we have to suffer a bit as we continue to exist. That's the way it goes.

It's been running around lately. A very potent bug. I'm considering taking the day off tomorrow, I get so many coughing fits.

I hope it's not going to be like last year, where I spent the Christmas holidays with a fever.

I remember that. I hope so too. I'm sure you'll feel a lot better this festive season as you've hopefully got the cold out of the way in good time!
    My wife had some sort of cold or mild flu-like infection for about ten days recently. According to two quick tests, at least it wasn't Covid (we seem to be about the last two persons who haven't caught that one yet). Anyway, I didn't catch that infection from her either, whatever it was. Still, I'm going to get my annual flu shot and my fifth Covid shot today. I never had a vaccination in my life that caused me any problems.

There is still Covid about too. I had it last December myself for the first time. I don't think that this is bad enough for it to be Covid but it makes me about as miserable anyway.