The Perils of the Democratisation of the Internet and the Rise of the "Expert" Commentator

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited January 24 in General Discussion Posts: 17,805
This is something I have noticed since the prophetic year of 2020 and the advent of the Covid-19 pandemic in particular. It has continued unabated into 2023 and will no doubt most likely stretch out until the crack of doom given the ever increasing information technology revolution that is still ongoing. To sum it up in a simple phrase, it would be "Everyone's an expert nowadays." The democratisation of the rollout of the internet worldwide, the advent of smartphones we can hold in the palm of our hands and the dissemination of information via the relatively new phenomenon of social media have all combined top create a perfect storm of misinformation, "expert" opinion, wildcat conspiracy theories, AI fakery etc. I know that the Internet is largely still governed by the law of the jungle and that despite new legislation like the Online Safety Act 2023 in the UK and the existing defamation laws there is still a problem with anonymous people sharing disinformation, propaganda and the purest libel worldwide. It's very difficult for individual sties, social media companies etc. to govern and police everything that is posted, shared and uploaded to the internet, to say nothing of the nefarious activities on the Dark Web. I think we have arrived in this unenvious position of the writ of the internet run wild due to the democratising effects of internet accessibility even in the farthest corners of the globe. The internet is a great Leveller and that can be both a blessing and a curse. There are pros and cons, just like anything else.

In the UK context the Iraq War of 2003, the Great Recession of 2007-2009, the MPs' Expenses Scandal of 2009, Brexit, the Covid-19 pandemic, Partygate, the rise of ring-wing populism and 40-year-high inflation and a cost of living crisis have no doubt all played a part in stripping away respect and faith in politicians, institutions, the monarchy, the Establishment and elites, the world of finance, medicine and so on. It's all part of a slow drift in society from perhaps the time of the Profumo Scandal in 1963 onwards that has seen as increasingly dangerous cynicism and world-weariness with authority figures and the mainstream media which is increasingly viewed as their puppet and official mouthpiece a la Joseph Goebbels' control of the press in Nazi Germany. Did the rot of public distrust in the UK Government perhaps even set in earlier than that during the Suez Crisis of 1956? In 2023 in the UK, as one recent example, the mass speculation about the disappearance of the tragic Nicola Bulley and all the various true crime documentary inspired theories about her "murder", "kidnap" and other unfounded and malicious rumours perfectly illustrates where we are nowadays in terms of the democratisation of news delivery. We have seen a shift away from traditional formerly trusted media sources like the BBC or ITV and a move towards TikTok etc. and influencers and commentators on social media, particularly amongst the young. You could say that Dr Google and his ilk cures all ills or at least "he" gives that false impression...

So what do we think of these musings of mine? Do you agreed, disagree or are you indifferent to the seemingly inevitable decline towards a lowest common denominator form of the internet?

FMWCCPKVgAE27zG.jpg

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    It has been interesting times and very turbulent times when it comes to information. There has been an erosion of trust in the Mainstream Media. Political slants that used to be hidden or at least dampened are now out in the open for all to see. In Canada we have our state broadcaster failing to call Hamas a terror organization and instead call them less threatening names. We have media black out on Social Media right now as our Government in their infinite wisdom has said that Meta, Google et al have to compensate the media when someone shares an article. The Social Media giants have decided that they will just ban such information from being shared. This results in a greater hole and less information being shared.

I have seen the same videos of the Middle East Conflict shared by both sides but edited or cut in such a way to support their side. I have seen some go down some dark rabbit holes with this conflict, 9-11, etc. It is scary how firm these wild theories are held. I have heard some say Israel deliberately let Hamas attack them. That 9-11 was an inside job of the US government. No amount of talking to these folks can move them off their point and they will tell you that you aren't "awake".

In short the world is becoming a dangerous place where facts are twisted and beliefs are held. Mocking those, name calling them will not stop it from happening. Nor will government bills and over-reach.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2023 Posts: 17,805
    It's a Brave New World. AI will soon be the new "expert" commentator:

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, if anyone is interested in information management and information wars...

but I'll try to keep it short and simple.

first off, it's not new, since papers started to work from politicial standpoints, their news explanation and sourcing has adopted accordingly. And yes, even the BBC has been (very) guilty of that over the years.

What HAS changed, is our interaction with the news, and the social media algorithms that steer in a certain direction to keep you on their platforms. If I'm interested in, say, playing marbles, Facebook and the likes will offer me more pages about marbles. No matter how well-informed these are about marbles.

So, if I'm slightly inclined to think all marbles should be blue, over time my facewitter will only give me news-offerings that support this way of thinking. That more extremist sites will also claim those who like red marbles aren't really worthy humans, will only strengthen my way of thinking, keep me longer on facewitter and thus create more revenue for the Mark Musks of this world.

Stately actors, notably Russia and North Korea, believe that they can devide the West, make them weaker and in the end destroy all liberal democracies. One of the ways to do this is to support extremism on all sides. So, BLM has had Moscow's support as much as Tucker Carlson (it's an old SOviet techique known as Maskirovka, and goes far further than the simple explanation I'm giving here). When you check out channels like Zero Hedge, you'll find that their articles often have only half-supporting truths behind them, twisted logic, or plain false sources. At the same time, quite a few editors have links to Moscow-run institutions.

Then there's human biology. Sadly, we humans tend to believe experts only when the subject is something obscure. However, when it comes down to main topics in the news, we tend to follow those around us we've come to trust. That, in combination with the social media factor I mentioned earlier, results in people beeing obsessed with their truth, not willing to accept any other way of thinking.

Dragonpol wrote: »
    It's a Brave New World. AI will soon be the new "expert" commentator:

And here's Elon doing Moscow's bidding. Has AI evolved to the power of human thinking? Not in the slightest, but this narrative plays into one of our primal fears (to be replaced, to be outdone by something we've created ourselves) and thus will get a lot of traction.
    But we already knew Elon just wants Ukraine to stop fighting so he can use Russia's resources for Space X and Tesla.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Is Rishi planning his new career? One can hope.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Just yesterday/Friday I had a surprise requirement that members of a conference I was hosting plus some from my own organization be subjected to a film crew recording our descriptions of the work we do.

On several sides it was uncomfortable, unorganized, not what we expected, and not a good way to end our event.

But in this case I admit I would welcome AI to take our images, record some sample voice audio to evaluate and process, then either streamline what was recorded (and re-re-re-recorded) or create something from whole cloth for promotional purposes.

edited November 2023 Posts: 17,805
    Is Rishi planning his new career? One can hope.

He may have to after the 2024 UK General Election result though whether he can pull a John Major in 1992 act against expectations or whether Sir Keir Starmer will win a landslide or a smaller majority for Labour remains to be seen. I'd say it's still all to play for though Sunak coming in at the fag end of a government in 2022 after 12 years in power won't help his chances much. Nor will the now well publicised actions of his predecessors during the Covid-19 emergency do him or his party any favours.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Just yesterday/Friday I had a surprise requirement that members of a conference I was hosting plus some from my own organization be subjected to a film crew recording our descriptions of the work we do.

On several sides it was uncomfortable, unorganized, not what we expected, and not a good way to end our event.

But in this case I admit I would welcome AI to take our images, record some sample voice audio to evaluate and process, then either streamline what was recorded (and re-re-re-recorded) or create something from whole cloth for promotional purposes.

Don't worry, you'll be amazed at what good editing can do. Was interviewed for a TV programme last year, and I thought I'd made a genuine fool out of myself, but the end result was bearable for me, and others say it was actually good. Still hate seeing myself stumble through videos though.
    As referenced in the OP, the Nicola Bulley case earlier this year and the "TikTok frenzy" that ensued from it helped to crystallise some of my thoughts on the evolution of the internet in this modern day and age. Both it and the Covid-19 pandemic that preceded it really saw the rise of the internet/armchair "expert" who more often than not rushed in where angels would've feared to tread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-67475416
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Yes, 1963 would be an interesting year from which to chart the phenomena discussed in the original post; but in a North American context, not so much because of Profumo but because of the Kennedy assassination.

Almost from even before the release of the Warren Commission report there has been widespread scepticism about the official story.

So began post-modernism, for lack of a better phrase, especially in the academy but also in popular discourse, a belief not in absolute truth per se but rather in a multiplicity of perspectives and potential narratives on such things.

Of course the lies told about America's involvement in, and escalation of the Vietnam War (as charted in the Pentagon Papers, for example); Watergate; the lies about WMD in Iraq; and much else have have only coarsened any belief in official stories of any kind.
    edited January 29 Posts: 17,805
    Here is just one example of the dangerous kind of clickbait posing as a real BBC News web link that comes up when I sign out of my Outlook email account. The discerning will see that it's not a BBC News link at all but it's designed to look like one and is a cynical attempt, right down to the presumably fake comments section, to get people to try to invest their money in a scam website:

https://janshareb.com/swggy.php?camp_id=71165&clickid=00969cc44c934a4eb2a9b418a45845f0&creative_id=1022711569&eng_click=00969cc44c934a4eb2a9b418a45845f0&eng_source=241060&eng_subid=null&key=0k0yc1lsx8vzi3w1xy6y&pixel=237700&website=241060&widget=241060