What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A stray thought just crossed my mind:

Now that development on Bond 26 can truly get underway, we could be getting the film much sooner than expected and Amazon are probably breathing down EONs neck to get a move on so...

What's to stop Babs from simply hiring P+W, Martin Campbell and David Arnold again to start the next era? I mean if they want to hit a November 2025 release - it would work and be much less likely to cause problems/delays than another Boyle/Mendes type.

Call me crazy but I still think Campbell can pull off a great bond film if hes given the right material to work with.

I would be all in on this. Campbell get's Bond and he is still fit and energetic; age is a non issue.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,113
    talos7 wrote: »
    A stray thought just crossed my mind:

Now that development on Bond 26 can truly get underway, we could be getting the film much sooner than expected and Amazon are probably breathing down EONs neck to get a move on so...

What's to stop Babs from simply hiring P+W, Martin Campbell and David Arnold again to start the next era? I mean if they want to hit a November 2025 release - it would work and be much less likely to cause problems/delays than another Boyle/Mendes type.

Call me crazy but I still think Campbell can pull off a great bond film if hes given the right material to work with.

I would be all in on this. Campbell get's Bond and he is still fit and energetic; age is a non issue.

Exactly, Campbell is far from your average 79 year old mentally or physically. When it looked like Bond 26 might not happen until 2027 I would have said that was pushing it, but if its a case of EON wanting to get a film out quickly, and needing a reliable pair of hands NEXT YEAR, then I think its perfectly feasible.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Campbell is still my first go-to pick to helm the new one. Let this man introduce us to a new 007 for the third time in a row. He knocked it out of the park with the last two. His non-Bond fare may not be terribly impressive (and a lot of his more recent work is pretty garbage) but he gets Bond through and through.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Campbell is still my first go-to pick to helm the new one. Let this man introduce us to a new 007 for the third time in a row. He knocked it out of the park with the last two. His non-Bond fare may not be terribly impressive (and a lot of his more recent work is pretty garbage) but he gets Bond through and through.

I've used the analogy , I want a great steak, and there is a restaurant that serves incredible steaks; I tell someone that I want a great steak and that I'm, going to restaurant "X". they respond that the chef can't cook fish, chicken or pork very well. I reply, that doesn't matter, I want a great steak.

It's obvious that Campbell has a great chemistry with Barbara, Michael and the creative staff at EON; they bring out the best in each other. I would love to have them cook up a new Bond.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 487
    @Mendes4Lyfe Campbell will turn 80 this year. How many times have 80 year olds directed movies as huge as Bond? As for Arnold, the Arnold era ended 15 *years* ago. Also, in the past 12 years he composed the scores of only 3 motion pictures, none of them noteworthy: "Paul", "The Inbetweeners 2" and "Confess, Fletch". I think it's time to let the Arnold era go.

Btw, even if Campbell were 10-20 years younger, I would still want Nolan to direct Bond 26.
    Campbell is in great shape and still capable of handling a Bond film. Look at Ridley Scott, George Miller , Martin Scorsese and more. People age at different rates. Campbell could still handle the task.

https://www.thewrap.com/oldest-directors-still-making-movies-over-80/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Campbell would be my first choice, Nolan if that deal fell through. Difference is, Campbell would deliver another great Bond movie that felt like a Bond movie. Nolan would deliver a great Bond movie that felt like an epic movie starring James Bond, if that makes any sense. I'd love either.
    @Mendes4Lyfe Campbell will turn 80 this year. How many times have 80 year olds directed movies as huge as Bond? As for Arnold, the Arnold era ended 15 *years* ago. Also, in the past 12 years he composed the scores of only 3 motion pictures, none of them noteworthy: "Paul", "The Inbetweeners 2" and "Confess, Fletch". I think it's time to let the Arnold era go.

Btw, even if Campbell were 10-20 years younger, I would still want Nolan to direct Bond 26.

That's assuming that bond 26 would be on the same epic scale of SP and B25, but what if they want a down to earth thriller to start off the era, around the 100 - 150 million range?
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 2,954
    Wait, David Arnold composed the score of The Inbetweeners 2?

I genuinely did not know that until now….
    What do people think about Alfonso cuarón directing bond? I know his harry potter movie is highly regarded. I was gutted to hear he nearly directed twine back in the day, he would have done a much better job than apted.
    I don't think he's at the point of his career where he has to do gun-for-hire studio work anymore.
  • Cuaron would be just as diffucult for EON to control as Nolan. But unlike Nolan, he isn't a huge Bond fan and hasn't directed big budget, Bondian action-adventure films before. So he would be a far bigger risk. Saying this as someone who loves Cuaron.
    But Bond is different than that. Bond is a family business. Listen to Martin Campbell describe his experience making bond with making "the green lantern" for instance, it's chaulk and cheese. Part of Babs and Micheals jobs is to act as a buttress against the studios coming in and meddling with everything, giving the directors the freedom the make the movie they want to make (within limits obviously).
  • How does that contradict my comment?
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 487
    This obviously could be completely made up, but someone wrote this about Nolan on reddit 12 days ago: "I recently saw him at baggage claim at LAX and he was reading a bond book lol"
  • Looks like we can cross Matthew Vaughn off the list of potential Bond 26 directors: https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/10/14/1zbcptjyi3v2r8s0vky6wi33kdir7y
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Looks like we can cross Matthew Vaughn off the list of potential Bond 26 directors: https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/10/14/1zbcptjyi3v2r8s0vky6wi33kdir7y

He was never in the running.

The only chance he had at directing Bond was during the Craig era.

And there’s a very good reason why that never happened.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Come on, Peter, don't leave it at that, mate... :D
    What do people think about Alfonso cuarón directing bond? I know his harry potter movie is highly regarded. I was gutted to hear he nearly directed twine back in the day, he would have done a much better job than apted.

Didn’t know that. Would have been interesting as Cuaron wasn’t the big name back then as he is now. I think he could have done a good job with TWINE.

TWINE really is an odd film. It had so much potential but nothing in it comes together. I remember reading a young Javiar Bardem was considered for Renard too. Honestly, it makes so much more sense than casting Robert Carlyle. A parallel universe TWINE with a better script, a darker atmosphere, and Bardem/Cuaron attached sounds cool to me, even if I don’t know how it would have played out.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Venutius wrote: »
    Come on, Peter, don't leave it at that, mate... :D

@Venutius … PM me (I’m not going to risk getting in trouble, 😂!!)

:)) Love it!
  • peter wrote: »
    Looks like we can cross Matthew Vaughn off the list of potential Bond 26 directors: https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/10/14/1zbcptjyi3v2r8s0vky6wi33kdir7y

He was never in the running.

The only chance he had at directing Bond was during the Craig era.

And there’s a very good reason why that never happened.

This new video pretty much confirms your comment:

At least they added two additional names to the list: Yann Demange and David Mackenzie.
    I wonder if they really are in discussions with EON. MacKenzie would be among my top choices to direct a Bond movie, I think his directing style would fit very well with Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Colonel_Venus , I was told by someone close to the productions Vaughn was never considered. Vaughn says he had an opportunity, but there’s more chance of him being cast as Bond than directing Bond.

There’s a very good reason why he himself stated that, and doesn’t conflict at all with the news I heard.
    Didn’t Vaughn once say that EON would never touch him with a stick because they don’t like him for whatever reason? I mean, I don’t know whether him and the producers have ever met but it seems pretty clear he won’t be directing a Bond film. Which is fine. Not sold on him myself.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Colonel_Venus can always contact me via DM, and when he hears the story in context, he'll see it gels with Vaughn's certainty that he has more chance at being cast as Bond than directing (which means he's very well aware there not a snowballs chance in Hell...).

I don't know if he met with EoN, but my gut very strongly suggests it never got to that point. What I heard was Vaughn was shut down swiftly (and for good reason).
  • Anyway, Guy Ritchie is better.
    Anyway, Guy Ritchie is better.

Yes, especially because he seems to have discovered the action genre with his last films. I wasn't a fan of Ritchies films, but I really enjoyed his latest movies.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’d like for them to get someone, whoever it is, whose quite a fan of the series. They don’t have to be a fan of the books, but after seeing what Matt Reeves did with The Batman, where he seemed to deeply understand the world and the characters on multiple levels, I’d just love to get someone on the same level as that.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,934
    peter wrote: »
    Vaughn says he had an opportunity, but there’s more chance of him being cast as Bond than directing Bond.
    :))