Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,052
    At the Airport and Hayley is gorgeous.

Yes, I'm not one to drool over women online, and I must say I've always found Rebecca Ferguson properly, naturally beautiful in these films, but in the airport there's something about the way they've done her hair, and I'm a weird sucker for eye makeup which is heavy on the top eyelashes! I think it also helps that we've been treated to extreme closeups of three guys in their late middle age (to be generous) for the previous 15 minutes, so any release from that is welcome! :)

I do also think that there's a surfeit of wonderful suede jackets in this film. She gets the first one in the airport, and then Esai Morales gets a couple more in the rest of it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Funny, the carriage collapsing bit was the most breathtaking and nervewracking sequence in the entire film for me.

Those kinds of scenes generally don't make me move in my seat, but this one did.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Second watch really enjoying this film, how I respond to the final act will determine any rank jump.

It was mentioned earlier the quality of a film can be secondary to just enjoying a movie.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    At the Airport and Hayley is gorgeous.

Yes, I'm not one to drool over women online, and I must say I've always found Rebecca Ferguson properly, naturally beautiful in these films, but in the airport there's something about the way they've done her hair, and I'm a weird sucker for eye makeup which is heavy on the top eyelashes! I think it also helps that we've been treated to extreme closeups of three guys in their late middle age (to be generous) for the previous 15 minutes, so any release from that is welcome! :)

I do also think that there's a surfeit of wonderful suede jackets in this film. She gets the first one in the airport, and then Esai Morales gets a couple more in the rest of it.

Rebecca Ferguson is stunning, my ex girlfriend could not understand my attraction to her, Rebecca has understated beauty.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You make it sound like you broke up over her!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,515
    You make it sound like you broke up over her!

lol it was a few years later from that observation.

The scene with all the main players in the club is really good.

I need to buy this score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must say, watching it again tonight, I do like the sort of feel of a 70s conspiracy thriller which feed into the score in places- those sort of suspended strings.
    The bridge scene gave me chills, it is really good.

On first watch the first 2 acts did grab me, I know what you mean with the 70's conspiracy vibe. I am a huge fan of All the Presidents Men and The Parallax View etc.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    For me, part 2 will be crucial to its ultimate ranking.
    I think because the night club and bridge scene is literally world class in tension and action, anything that followed was going to fall flat for me.

The night club and bridge scene might have been the best way to end part 1 if they could have reworked the story.
    Watched the bridge scene 5 times in a row it bloody awesome, this is better than NTTD.
    I have felt that helplessness and Tom's scene on the roof top after is incredible.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Shame, I thought the third act was the strongest one and a phenomenal conclusion to a damn great installment.

The CGI looked terrible in 4K and the lack of practical stunts or even when there was practical stunts it was hijacked by bad CGI. The train scene was glaringly bad, clearly volume looked really fake, took me out of the film.
    Octopussy has better effects.
    Shame, I thought the third act was the strongest one and a phenomenal conclusion to a damn great installment.

The CGI looked terrible in 4K and the lack of practical stunts or even when there was practical stunts it was hijacked by bad CGI. The train scene was glaringly bad, clearly volume looked really fake, took me out of the film.
    Octopussy has better effects.

I definitely prefer practical effects.
    The Volume in the 3rd act looks really bad even after de saturating color on my TV. I hate this tech... put people in a set ffs.
    Literally everything on the train in the third act of DRp1i s CGI background, look at the outline of the actors if you watch in 4K.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Which shots do you mean specifically?
    It's not the Volume anyway: this was made at Leavesden.
    Which shots do you mean specifically?
    It's not the Volume anyway: this was made at Leavesden.

90% at a guess of the shots, just because it was shot in a studio does not mean they built sets for everything. It is pretty blatant the volume used in the final act.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,052
    They don't have a Volume at Leavesden is what I'm saying. They may have LED screens, but not the Volume.
    And they did build the train carriages: here's a shot from McQuarrie's Instagram-

Mission-Impossible-7-Christopher-McQuarrie-train-behind-the-scenes.jpg

Unless you say specifically which shots you're talking about, I'm not sure what you mean.
    Tom jumping off a crappy CGI cliff to do an awesome stunt I have major issues with, I wish they had just kept the ramp.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Tom jumping off a crappy CGI cliff to do an awesome stunt I have major issues with, I wish they had just kept the ramp.

That's not a train?
    Why would there be a ramp on a cliff in the fiction of the thing? Just because you know it's CG doesn't make it bad CG. The Moonraker wasn't real either.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Having rewatched Fallout recently, I'm finding it hard to believe they went from that to the most recent film in just one installment.

It's miles ahead of Dead Reckoning in nearly every way.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    My own feeling is that Dead Reckoning was a massive improvement over Fallout. More interesting story, characters and action.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Having rewatched Fallout recently, I'm finding it hard to believe they went from that to the most recent film in just one installment.

It's miles ahead of Dead Reckoning in nearly every way.

I tend to agree, sadly.
    My current ranking...
    MI
    MI Fallout
    MI Ghost Protocol
    MI Rogue Nation
    MI Dead Reckoning Part 1
    MI III

MI II

I finally bought Dead Reckoning Part 1 score, Amazon kept blocking me from buying it for some reason. DRp1 is easily the largest score from the series (39 tracks) and I have all of the scores and soundtracks.

The music stood out for me during the film so this has a good chance of being one of my favorite M:I soundtracks.

va-13.jpeg
    Dead Reckoning Part 1 watched this several times over the last few days and the more I watch it the more brilliant subtle moments I am seeing. I really like this film a lot, multiple layers of story telling. There is a lot of symbolism in this film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dead Reckoning Part 1 watched this several times over the last few days and the more I watch it the more brilliant subtle moments I am seeing. I really like this film a lot, multiple layers of story telling. There is a lot of symbolism in this film.

I want to find the alone time to watch this in one sitting now that it's available digitally. I am dying to return to it for another viewing. Can't wait to discuss it even further with you and others.

I want to find the alone time to watch this in one sitting now that it's available digitally. I am dying to return to it for another viewing. Can't wait to discuss it even further with you and others.

The issues I have with the third act are lessening, overall this is just a really fun movie. At one point I did think this is like watching a good Bond film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

The issues I have with the third act are lessening, overall this is just a really fun movie. At one point I did think this is like watching a good Bond film.

Really, really fun movie. I'd say the fun/entertainment factor, the flawless pacing, and the new characters were some of the strongest elements of this installment.