Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Does anyone know when it will be available for renting or streaming? I know today is the digital purchase release. I missed it in theaters.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's available for digital purchase now and will be on 4K/blu-ray/DVD on October 31st. I'll probably watch the digital version here ASAP and patiently await the 4K as a Christmas gift.
    Does anyone know when it will be available for renting or streaming? I know today is the digital purchase release. I missed it in theaters.

According to iTunes, digital rental is on 6th November.

I would suspect it will go on Paramount+ around christmas.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,530
    Dead Reckoning Part One, the first 2 acts I enjoyed and forgave a lot because of COVID, though I was to aware of the film repeating way too many beats from previous films in the series and Bond films.

Then we get to the 3rd act which was bloody awful and the worse act of the entire series.

Dead Reckoning Part One has some genuinely great scenes which really makes this film a waste on a huge scale. Right now this film is not in the top 5.
    Shame, I thought the third act was the strongest one and a phenomenal conclusion to a damn great installment.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Shame, I thought the third act was the strongest one and a phenomenal conclusion to a damn great installment.

The CGI looked terrible in 4K and the lack of practical stunts or even when there was practical stunts it was hijacked by bad CGI. The train scene was glaringly bad, clearly volume looked really fake, took me out of the film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Which bits of the train scene? I think everything they did on the roof of the train was being done for real.
    Hayley Atwell was great and grounded the film when it desperately needed it.

The tone was a bit all over the place at times and did become a bit hokey.
    mtm wrote: »
    Which bits of the train scene? I think everything they did on the roof of the train was being done for real.

Inside the carriages.
    Its only my first time watch, I hated Ghost Protocol when I first saw it then grew to love it.

First 2 acts of DRp1 were enjoyable.

The CGI looked terrible in 4K and the lack of practical stunts or even when there was practical stunts it was hijacked by bad CGI. The train scene was glaringly bad, clearly volume looked really fake, took me out of the film.

I didn't have those complaints in both of my viewings, and I'm usually heavily against CGI dominating the action. Maybe I was just too engrossed to notice. I plan on watching the digital version soon though, maybe it'll stand out more then.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,075

Inside the carriages.

Well, blimey, the view out of the windows isn't going to be a big problem for me, I must say.
    I think shooting train interiors for real is fairly unusual.

Inside the carriages.

Well, blimey, the view out of the windows isn't going to be a big problem for me, I must say.

I meant inside the carriages. I said nothing about windows and views.

when the carriages were
    crashing and falling.
    Funny, the carriage collapsing bit was the most breathtaking and nervewracking sequence in the entire film for me.
    Funny, the carriage collapsing bit was the most breathtaking and nervewracking sequence in the entire film for me.

I will watch the film again over the weekend, I did tear up during one scene in the second act which was brilliant.

The 3rd act just lost me, I was probably expecting something else though when its the first part of two films you are not going to get a resolution, I will probably reevaluate the ending because of that.

I will watch the film again over the weekend, I did tear up during one scene in the second act which was brilliant.

The 3rd act just lost me, I was probably expecting something else though when its the first part of two films you are not going to get a resolution, I will probably reevaluate the ending because of that.

A lot of emotion packed into that second act. It's why I still believe:
    The retcon stuff with Ethan losing an old love to Gabriel was unnecessary, especially when Gabriel winds up killing Ilsa anyway.

I did appreciate the film feeling rather tied up as a complete package while clearly setting the groundwork for what'll come in Part 2. There was no huge cliffhanger or anything that left me bummed or feeling like I was cheated out of a complete experience, but that's just me. I get a real kick out of Gabriel shouting "Ethan!!" (or Tom Cruise, technically) when he realizes he's been duped.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Inside the carriages.

when the carriages were
    crashing and falling.

They built the interior of those carriages for real. Or do you mean the ones below them?

I do agree with your take overall on the film though; for me it's not quite up to scratch. I may end up buying it and watching it again; I'll let you know!

A lot of emotion packed into that second act. It's why I still believe:
    The retcon stuff with Ethan losing an old love to Gabriel was unnecessary, especially when Gabriel winds up killing Ilsa anyway.

I did appreciate the film feeling rather tied up as a complete package while clearly setting the groundwork for what'll come in Part 2. There was no huge cliffhanger or anything that left me bummed or feeling like I was cheated out of a complete experience, but that's just me. I get a real kick out of Gabriel shouting "Ethan!!" (or Tom Cruise, technically) when he realizes he's been duped.

Part 2 hopefully will expand upon the concepts they teased in the first film.
    A few characters succumbed to determinism and you could argue fatalism based on them being aware of a outcome because of what Gabrial told them, concept's I don't subscribe to though it is interesting nonetheless. I hope the second film explores this further.

Ethan Hunt on the other hand is all about free will, Ethan and Gabrial are binary opposites which makes the overall arc compelling.

The Ethan/Gabrial back story right at the start did feel a bit shoehorned.

Listening to DRpt1 through Dolby Atmos was insane, the sand storm scene I felt like I was actually in that storm it was surreal.

I enjoyed the pre title scene with all the dutch angles, clearly a homage to Brian De Palma. which sporadically re appeared during the film..

Inside the carriages.

when the carriages were
    crashing and falling.

They built the interior of those carriages for real. Or do you mean the ones below them?

I do agree with your take overall on the film though; for me it's not quite up to scratch. I may end up buying it and watching it again; I'll let you know!

The film maybe too vivid and colors too saturated on my TV, I have toned everything down and watching the final act again.

The G force on Tom is awesome.
    Zola not noticing his own sisters
    eye color
    is amusing.
    eye color
    is amusing.

That's one "plot hole" that I've not been hung up on. Would everyone instantly recognize the eye color of those close to them, brother and sister or not? I may not recognize if my girlfriend or mom passed me with different eye colors for a second or two, especially if I was tensely engaging in a world-altering transaction.

The film has some plot issues, for sure, but that's not one of them for me.
    eye color
    is amusing.

That's one "plot hole" that I've not been hung up on. Would everyone instantly recognize the eye color of those close to them, brother and sister or not? I may not recognize if my girlfriend or mom passed me with different eye colors for a second or two, especially if I was tensely engaging in a world-altering transaction.

The film has some plot issues, for sure, but that's not one of them for me.

I think because the film makes the brown contacts so obvious its difficult not to be constantly aware of them when watching the scene, it also seems a bizarre oversight by Ethan and team, especially as nobody else even noticed plot wise.

It does feel as though it was exclusively done for the audience to pick up on just to say by the way this is Hayley Atwell.

In the larger scheme it is minor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I did end up buying it tonight (it's not much!) and, well, even though I'm only up to the airport scene my gripes remain. It's so.. baggy. In Fallout you have a longish opening sequence, but that's rounded off by a punchy trick/plan gag and then immediately after that you're on a plane and parachuting- it's thrilling. This one it's overlong sub sequence, followed by a slightly murky and not very interesting desert shootout, then an immense amount of talking in the CIA, then more talking in the airport... the punch has just gone. I kind of want to put Fallout on instead. And it pains me: I love MI.
    And on my TV I am struck by how poor it looks- it just has a slightly cheap video sheen to it. Indiana Jones looks gorgeous on my telly; this does not look great.
    Hayley Atwell does look amazing, I'll grant it that. But the Cruiser is starting to look his age- all of these very tight closeups are maybe not the best idea. Or, Tom, baby- maybe it's time to let the grey show.
    I did end up buying it tonight (it's not much!) and, well, even though I'm only up to the airport scene my gripes remain. It's so.. baggy. In Fallout you have a longish opening sequence, but that's rounded off by a punchy trick/plan gag and then immediately after that you're on a plane and parachuting- it's thrilling. This one it's overlong sub sequence, followed by a slightly murky and not very interesting desert shootout, then an immense amount of talking in the CIA, then more talking in the airport... the punch has just gone. I kind of want to put Fallout on instead. And it pains me: I love MI.
    And on my TV I am struck by how poor it looks- it just has a slightly cheap video sheen to it. Indiana Jones looks gorgeous on my telly; this does not look great.
    Hayley Atwell does look amazing, I'll grant it that. But the Cruiser is starting to look his age- all of these very tight closeups are maybe not the best idea. Or, Tom, baby- maybe it's time to let the grey show.

Hayley Atwell is the stand out for me, some of Tom's shots are jarring as his look and hair change a lot though because of COVID I gave that a pass.

There is a bizarre amount of close ups early on and the dialog could have been trimmed down. Fall Out is a much leaner film and straight to the point with little excess baggage if any, great movie.
    @mtm you know my feelings on DOD though technically it is a better film than DRp1, saying that I would have to watch the films back to back to see which is worse.
    I'd say Fallout is a much better made film but I think I actually prefer Dead Reckoning P1, if that makes sense? I really thought I'd enjoy it but did not expect to love it as much as I did or find it as gripping or tightly paced.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I definitely think that ‘best’ and ‘favourite’ are two different things, so I can totally understand that. I wish I liked this film as much as you do, genuinely!
    I finally watched the film and I have to ssy I didn't love it, it just seemed to move on from scenes without developing an engaging story.

But the retconned backstory is just sich a cliche now, Kingsmen and The Grey Man even did it somewhat recently and it wasn't new then.

Weirdly it contradicts dialogue from the 3rd movie. The dialogue from that movie was awful but they didn't even replace it with something better.
    Watching DRp1 from the start I skipped the submarine sequence, I never liked those openings in Bond films.

The problem with the submarine scene and I guessed the outcome first time, once you have seen it it hold's no interest. I actually thought about the shop scene at the beginning of RN and wanted to watch that instead.

At the Airport and Hayley is gorgeous.