Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Based on this BMW spot alone I can see why he was considered by some; heck, I think the entire crew of this spot could have made an exciting Bond film . As far as the action, it does what was attempted in QoS but is much more effective; and I am a fan of QoS.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yeah, that's about the most plausible I've seen him look, tbf.
    The name's Spade. Samuel Spade. Clive Owen perhaps could scratch that period Bond itch, if only just a little, it is welcome.

“Monsieur Spade centers around the infamous protagonist of American writer Dashiell Hammett’s 1930 classic novel The Maltese Falcon.

The year is 1963, and the legendary Detective Sam Spade (Owen) is enjoying his retirement in the South of France. By contrast to his days as a private eye in San Francisco, Spade’s life in Bozouls is peaceful and quiet. But the rumored return of his old adversary will change everything.

Six beloved nuns have been brutally murdered at the local convent. As the town grieves, secrets emerge, and new leads are established. Spade learns that the murders are somehow connected to a mysterious child who is believed to possess great powers.”

This looks godawful. Was discussing it with fellow crime fiction aficionados and yes, the consensus is very negative. Clive Owen is not Sam Spade.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's weird I quite like Clive Owen in most things I've seen him in, but I've never thought of him as a potential Bond.

I wonder if he was ever in contention or it was all just media and agent speculation?
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    It's all beside the point. At least it's something and tbf none of us have seen it yet. So let's wait and see.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    It's weird I quite like Clive Owen in most things I've seen him in, but I've never thought of him as a potential Bond.

I wonder if he was ever in contention or it was all just media and agent speculation?

I doubt he was seriously considered. It's a rumour that literally started from the BMW add.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I doubt he was seriously considered. It's a rumour that literally started from the BMW add.

And the film Croupier.

Thinking in comparison who's this era's Daniel? Because it seems like we have a lot of Clive Owen's and Hugh Jackman's, but nobody stands out as a favourite like Daniel seemed to in 2004/05
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Daniel Craig was a favourite in 2004/05? That’s News to me. His casting was a complete surprise as far as I know it. There was a short build up to it, sure. But he wasn’t a favourite, no.

Unless that was irony, of course ;)
    Univex wrote: »
    Daniel Craig was a favourite in 2004/05? That’s News to me. His casting was a complete surprise as far as I know it. There was a short build up to it, sure. But he wasn’t a favourite, no.

Sorry my friend it's my fault I wasn't clear, I meant in the sense that Daniel was the producers favourite from 2004ish, Barbara said "she kept freaking the studio out because there was no one else".

I was wondering if the producers have their man this time round and we just don't know it yet.

Thinking in comparison who's this era's Daniel? Because it seems like we have a lot of Clive Owen's and Hugh Jackman's, but nobody stands out as a favourite like Daniel seemed to in 2004/05

Assuming 2023 is like 2005, and that's a BIG assumption, this era's Daniel Craig can probably be found in small roles in critically acclaimed big movies and big roles in small independent movies. To find the new Craig, you need to find first this era's Elizabeth, Layer Cake, Road to Perdition, etc.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 6,677

Sorry my friend it's my fault I wasn't clear, I meant in the sense that Daniel was the producers favourite from 2004ish, Barbara said "she kept freaking the studio out because there was no one else".

I was wondering if the producers have their man this time round and we just don't know it yet.

You are, as ever, quite right, my friend ;)

And yes, I'm hoping that is the case, that they have their man already in that same sense.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 303
    Sam Spade was an archetypal American detective. To call him Monsieur Spade sounds wrong. It implies he's French. The character has retired to France but even so... strange title.

There was a rumour - who knows if it was true - Clive Owen was approached to play Bond but wanted a percentage deal contract. A cut of the profits.
    An article in Variety from 2005 alleged that Owen was approached but turned the part down because he was refused "gross profit points" on his contract – meaning he'd receive a percentage of the profits from each new Bond film.

MI6 reported the story:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=2850

In 2005 Owen was a higher profile actor than Craig so it's very likely the producers would have approached Owen. Owen denied any suggestion he was offered the role.
    But Owen himself told GQ in 2007 that he was never offered the role in the first place: “I didn't turn it down,” he insisted. “I was never offered it. It was all hype. My wanting the role was never an issue.

You are, as ever, quite right, my friend ;)

And yes, I'm hoping that is the case, that they have their man already in that same sense.

I think this is a strong possibility.
    It's interesting that the rumours regarding potential directors have centred around Vaughn, Nolan,... who have all worked with ATJ. That's probably just due to reverse engineering and the Oppenheimer and Kraven bandwagons. Still...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think we’re clutching at some pretty big straws here.
    Nothing is going to happen till the writer / actor strike is over.
    Sorry to say.
    Was the script for CR complete when Barbara locked in on Daniel; or was he on her radar prior to that? I really don’t know the timeline.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2023 Posts: 8,507
    He was on her radar, but by the time he auditioned, a draft of CR was ready. Once he was cast there were more rewrites.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Slightly off topic. But reading this thread got me thinking;
    How exciting must it have been for Bond fans between 1969 and 1973. We had 3 different actors in 3 new films in just 4 calendar years. In comparison to recent years/right now we would suffer whiplash injuries.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Just wait for them to cast Paul Mescal. You thought Craig took too much time between films and the character was too dour? You'll love this generation's Philip Seymour Hoffman trapped in the body of a matinee idol with a list of proposed projects from here to Pinewood. We'll finally get 007 in New York. Which will be exclusively set in an airport lounge with him reminiscing about the mission and his live as an assassin. No other actors. Coming 2032.

LOL!
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic. But reading this thread got me thinking;
    How exciting must it have been for Bond fans between 1969 and 1973. We had 3 different actors in 3 new films in just 4 calendar years. In comparison to recent years/right now we would suffer whiplash injuries.

I'd go back in time any ol day of the week!
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Thing is, we have to consider that the next Bond is probably going to be 30-35 when Bond 26 starts filming.
    Thing is, we have to consider that the next Bond is probably going to be 30-35 when Bond 26 starts filming.

Yep, as I said several pages back, when the times comes that actual script writing and preproduction gets rolling we are going to see a whole new crop of " candidates" . Many of the actors mentioned over the past decade, or so, will have aged out while more will have come of age and will be in the running.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    He's probably been mentioned on here before, but what do people think of Damson Idris?
    Personally, while I suspect there’ll be surprises in terms of who is rumoured/who will eventually get the part, I don’t think for anyone keeping up with this forum it’ll be wholly unexpected. It’s unlikely someone like Henry Cavill will get it, and even more ‘fan favourite’ picks in certain circles (ie. Aidan Turner) probably won’t either.

It seems likely Bond 26 isn’t too far away (2ish years to a release perhaps) so the next actor is probably in his 30s at the current time. Even a candidate in their mid 30s would be younger than the majority of Bonds at their debut.
    He's probably been mentioned on here before, but what do people think of Damson Idris?

Difficult to say for Bond, but he’s a good actor. I’d like to see him in the franchise in some capacity, even if it’s not as the lead.
  • Damson? He'd be good in a jam, at least... :D
    edited September 2023 Posts: 155
    Gents, we may be in for a ride...

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/9/26/lluj1u172l3gwejmovm5wcaf3fftqu

"EON wants a full reboot/restart in the modern era with Nolan wanting to make adaptations of the Ian Fleming novels, in period settings, that stick close to the original source material."

In Nolan I trust! (but not ATJ)

"EON wants a full reboot/restart in the modern era with Nolan wanting to make adaptations of the Ian Fleming novels, in period settings, that stick close to the original source material."

As with so many stories, it seems like a patchwork of unsubstantiated rumors.
    talos7 wrote: »

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true.
    talos7 wrote: »

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true.

No, Nolan would not be a surprise.