Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 14,957
    007HallY wrote: »
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    To be fair there have been some odd fashion choices in many of the films. Personally I find things like Lazenby's frilly ruffled tuxedo shirt or Moore's flared trousers much more strange.

Also, one thing I've noticed about Craig's Bond films is that he wore braces quite a lot with a number of his Bond outfits (for Americans/Canadians these are straps that go over your shoulder and are attached to the trousers - I think they're called suspenders over there). It's something that always stood out to me as no other Bond wore them before, and Craig not only seemed to wear them quite a lot as Bond, but also when he played Benoit Blanc. I do wonder if that was a personal preference Craig had over a belt that was incorporated when he had his costume fittings.

Actually Dalton's suits are both also strange looking to me, not spy looking, and Bond in the books was also a fine dresser, but with Dalton's suits, they looked like an 80's Action Police would've likely to wear, yes, sorry here folks, but more like something out of Miami Vice, especially in that scene with Pushkin in his hotel, that's strange or when he's in the Hemingway house in LTK.

Brosnan's suits are more like those of the executives, more like corporate, doesn't looked Bondian either.

Even Connery's outfit in DAF PTS when he dispatched Blofeld, that's kinda strange looking, and of course, who could've forget the pink tie? 😅

Yes, who can forget Connery's pink tie with the very wide Windsor knot (Fleming would have had a field day with that one) and white suit combo?

One of things I find interesting about Dalton's costumes is that there seemed to be less of an attempt to make him look 'trendy' in the way that was done with Moore, Connery and Lazenby (again, there are some very dated flares, frilly shirts, and light coloured suits in there). I suspect it was part of Dalton's attempt to play the character closer to the one from the novels, but you get much darker suits and more muted colours in his wardrobe. I suppose it makes sense - Fleming's Bond was a sharp albeit simple dresser, but it wasn't a sort of 'in vogue' fashion sense for the time necessarily (ie. he only seems to have two dark blue lightweight, single breasted suits even though heavier material and double breasted suits were more the trend back in the 50s).

It's tricky dressing Bond in these films. So much of it is intwined with brands and the trends of the time.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Mind you, Dan's sporting something uncomfortably close to beige flares when he gets off the helicopter on his return from Miami in CR - now those pants were weird, man!

Christ, you're right.

cr8-main1.jpg?ssl=1

I actually think Bond's outfits in CR are pretty good as well. But man, those trousers are very strange.
    This is Craig at his coolest. I hunted those trousers down for years and never managed to find a pair. I've got quite a few of the Riviera tops he is wearing though, in different colours.

I think it's just because my memory of Craig's outfits in CR were that they were more tight fitting (which is probably more a feature of his later films). Honestly, I really like the casual wear that Bond has in that film.

What's quite cool about CR is he does a lot of mixing and matching of various items, like his T-shirts, trousers, throughout the film, more like a real person does when they're travelling.

Go on then, have CR too (yes, I did try to show the flares!) :)

il_1588xN.4318077919_njh3.jpg
    To be fair there have been some odd fashion choices in many of the films. Personally I find things like Lazenby's frilly ruffled tuxedo shirt or Moore's flared trousers much more strange.

Also, one thing I've noticed about Craig's Bond films is that he wore braces quite a lot with a number of his Bond outfits (for Americans/Canadians these are straps that go over your shoulder and are attached to the trousers - I think they're called suspenders over there). It's something that always stood out to me as no other Bond wore them before, and Craig not only seemed to wear them quite a lot as Bond, but also when he played Benoit Blanc. I do wonder if that was a personal preference Craig had over a belt that was incorporated when he had his costume fittings.

Actually Dalton's suits are both also strange looking to me, not spy looking, and Bond in the books was also a fine dresser, but with Dalton's suits, they looked like an 80's Action Police would've likely to wear, yes, sorry here folks, but more like something out of Miami Vice, especially in that scene with Pushkin in his hotel, that's strange or when he's in the Hemingway house in LTK.

Brosnan's suits are more like those of the executives, more like corporate, doesn't looked Bondian either.

Even Connery's outfit in DAF PTS when he dispatched Blofeld, that's kinda strange looking, and of course, who could've forget the pink tie? 😅

Yes, who can forget Connery's pink tie with the very wide Windsor knot (Fleming would have had a field day with that one) and white suit combo?

One of things I find interesting about Dalton's costumes is that there seemed to be less of an attempt to make him look 'trendy' in the way that was done with Moore, Connery and Lazenby (again, there are some very dated flares, frilly shirts, and light coloured suits in there). I suspect it was part of Dalton's attempt to play the character closer to the one from the novels, but you get much darker suits and more muted colours in his wardrobe. I suppose it makes sense - Fleming's Bond was a sharp albeit simple dresser, but it wasn't a sort of 'in vogue' fashion sense for the time necessarily (ie. he only seems to have two dark blue lightweight, single breasted suits even though heavier material and double breasted suits were more the trend back in the 50s).

It's tricky dressing Bond in these films. So much of it is intwined with brands and the trends of the time.
    Mind you, Dan's sporting something uncomfortably close to beige flares when he gets off the helicopter on his return from Miami in CR - now those pants were weird, man!

Christ, you're right.

cr8-main1.jpg?ssl=1

I actually think Bond's outfits in CR are pretty good as well. But man, those trousers are very strange.
    This is Craig at his coolest. I hunted those trousers down for years and never managed to find a pair. I've got quite a few of the Riviera tops he is wearing though, in different colours.

I think it's just because my memory of Craig's outfits in CR were that they were more tight fitting (which is probably more a feature of his later films). Honestly, I really like the casual wear that Bond has in that film.

The tight-fitting really came later when Tom Ford took over.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    One thing I was wondering when I watched CR the other night; when he's in the villa with Solange and then rushes off to catch the next flight to Miami, why does he take the time to change his shirt? :D
    mtm wrote: »
    Dalt's looks in LTK have certainly always felt quite Fleming-inspired; especially his look in Key West at the beginning.
    Yes I agree. And the white casual shirt he wears at Sanchez place with black trousers looks very Flemingesque.
    I'd say it was more late 90s/very early 2000s, when men were wearing long sideburns and things. I thought it had gone by '06.

Maybe I was stuck in a time warp (I still am)!
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    One thing I was wondering when I watched CR the other night; when he's in the villa with Solange and then rushes off to catch the next flight to Miami, why does he take the time to change his shirt? :D

Probably because he knew s***t was going to go down and a t-shirt is easier to move in than a button up.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,901

That's a really interesting thought; certainly his Blayden outfit is perhaps the least fashionable Bond had been for some time with all that tweed (although Pierce would give it a run for its money with his Alan Partridge-esque cravat and blazer looks in Monaco in GE :-& )
    Dalt's looks in LTK have certainly always felt quite Fleming-inspired; especially his look in Key West at the beginning.

I made this record of The Living Daylights :)

il_1588xN.4306919514_tmp6.jpg

Christ, you're right.

cr8-main1.jpg?ssl=1

What's quite cool about CR is he does a lot of mixing and matching of various items, like his T-shirts, trousers, throughout the film, more like a real person does when they're travelling.

Ah nice, well done on both of those, they look great! I actually never noticed the mixing and matching of CR either.

Christ, you're right.

cr8-main1.jpg?ssl=1

The tight-fitting really came later when Tom Ford took over.

It did indeed. Even that's a product of its time. Given how much younger crowds seem to like 80s culture, I've noticed there's a trend towards oversized tailoring nowadays.

One wonders what kind of costumes the new Bond will get, and indeed how much they'll age. Personally I don't want to see a future Bond wearing drawstring trousers that are ever so slightly too short.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 3,279

Nice job! :-bd
    I wouldn't mind a poster size version of that.

Personally I don't want to see a future Bond wearing drawstring trousers that are ever so slightly too short.

:))
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,928
    To me this was the coolest Craig ever looked as Bond.
    I dunno, jetset, I reckon it's literally impossible for flares to look cool, tbh. Bootcut's one thing, but those were perilously close to Lionels. That purposeful stride from the helicopter looks great til you notice the pants flapping around his ankles, man. Agree with everyone about the polo, though: just right.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Have you done those outfit artworks for any of the other movies @mtm? They're very well done.
  • i want Bond going up to Northern England for a change
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I never minded Connery's pink tie, although it's too short.
    This is great, mtm - good one, mate!

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Have you done those outfit artworks for any of the other movies @mtm? They're very well done.

Thank you yes: I also did Goldfinger and Live and Let Die (LALD's probably my favourite!). They're on my Etsy shop, although I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it or not.
    I will get around to doing some more at point: OHMSS is an obvious one to do.

Thank you yes: I also did Goldfinger and Live and Let Die (LALD's probably my favourite!). They're on my Etsy shop, although I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it or not.
    Oh yes, OHMSS will look great, with the kilt and the Prince of Wales suit, and the orange/beige combo, and the skiing suit.
    i want Bond going up to Northern England for a change

:)) It didn't go well for him last time, though...
    https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/sheffield-man-named-james-bond-triggers-armed-response-after-carrying-bb-gun-into-busy-office-building-4110554
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/19214/looking-for-james-bond-merchandise-or-do-you-want-to-sell-some

Feel free to post in this thread. I'm sure many would appreciate it.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Everything Craig wears in CR looks great apart from the trunks. All the colors work on him and he looks appropriate everywhere he goes, neither too garish nor too mundane. It's a testament to Lindy Hemming's eye. As for the loose trousers, it's probably because he's in Nassau and you don't typically wear slim fit pants in hot regions.

It's a shame Craig fired Hemming after that. He still looked fine in QOS but starting with SF he begins to look fussy and un-Bondian in terms of what he wears.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Yes I agree. And the white casual shirt he wears at Sanchez place with black trousers looks very Flemingesque.

I think those are his dress shirt and tuxedo trousers from the previous evening. They were in his room washed/dry cleaned when he woke up.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited August 2023 Posts: 8,025
    slide_99 wrote: »
    It's a shame Craig fired Hemming after that.

She wasn’t fired. That’s not how it works. Crews are hired on a film by film basis. Eon had no obligation to hire her again.

That said, I think Tom Ford’s suits looked better for Craig’s Bond. I don’t think Brioni works for his iteration of the character. It’s way too posh for his version of Bond. At times Brosnan looked like an expensive lawyer or executive. There should be a modicum of modesty to Bond’s wardrobe, and that didn’t exist with Brosnan being dressed up like clothes horse.
    The next one should wear a Saville Row brand, and Floris (not that we’d smell it). If they’re doing product placement, why not use some more British brands, just like they use Aston Martin? The answer is, of course, obvious. They’re not made to wear, they’re tailored. Isn’t there a British suit brand that’s off the rack? Even if expensive?
    Univex wrote: »
    The next one should wear a Saville Row brand, and Floris (not that we’d smell it). If they’re doing product placement, why not use some more British brands, just like they use Aston Martin? The answer is, of course, obvious. They’re not made to wear, they’re tailored. Isn’t there a British suit brand that’s off the rack? Even if expensive?

Totally agree. Anthony Sinclair suits and Floris 89 or the new Floris 007 range (I have both).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I dunno, jetset, I reckon it's literally impossible for flares to look cool, tbh. Bootcut's one thing, but those were perilously close to Lionels. That purposeful stride from the helicopter looks great til you notice the pants flapping around his ankles, man. Agree with everyone about the polo, though: just right.

The only person to ever look good in bell-bottoms was Elvis Presley. Okay, and Roger Moore.

Univex wrote: »

Totally agree. Anthony Sinclair suits and Floris 89 or the new Floris 007 range (I have both).

Me too, I prefer the 89 myself. And yes, Anthony Sinclair suits! ;)
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States

She wasn’t fired. That’s not how it works. Crews are hired on a film by film basis. Eon had no obligation to hire her again.

That said, I think Tom Ford’s suits looked better for Craig’s Bond. I don’t think Brioni works for his iteration of the character. It’s way too posh for his version of Bond. At times Brosnan looked like an expensive lawyer or executive. There should be a modicum of modesty to Bond’s wardrobe, and that didn’t exist with Brosnan being dressed up like clothes horse.

I wouldn't be surprised if Craig did fire her. He did have quite a bit of power from EON that he probably had final say on a lot of things.
  • I thought Craig’s wardrobe throughout his run was excellent. QoS in particular is very underrated in that regard. Even his casual looks like the Harrington jacket with the polo and jeans were pitch perfect for his iteration of the character.

I’m really excited to see where they go with the wardrobe in the next iteration, but Craig is up there with Lazenby (minus the frilly shirts) for me as the best dressed Bond.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What was old is new again. So why not bring back this...
    9q4j6j9cvo8o.jpg
    nfiirx5rdsk3.jpg
    hn3ix6zuvqw4.jpg

Benny wrote: »
    9q4j6j9cvo8o.jpg
    nfiirx5rdsk3.jpg
    hn3ix6zuvqw4.jpg

I'd definitely love that!
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Benny wrote: »
    9q4j6j9cvo8o.jpg
    nfiirx5rdsk3.jpg
    hn3ix6zuvqw4.jpg

:)) Safari Suits?
    Well, as long as the collar and cuffs match.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 14,957

Yeah I wasn't too keen on the Brioni; I think Craig looks better in the later films. And Skyfall has several of Bond's most iconic looks, I'd say. At the time everyone was slathering over that Barbour: he looks fantastic in it.

The only person to ever look good in bell-bottoms was Elvis Presley. Okay, and Roger Moore.

Hard to argue with that. I love seeing Roger's flares flapping about in his gunbarrel sequence!
    Youse guys and your Vince Elairs... And now with the safari suits?! :-O