Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 15,017
    007HallY wrote: »
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, everything about Connery in that photo just radiates Bond. Couldn't be improved. What's also great to me is that while Connery's suit would've looked out of place to a lot of people at various times over the intervening decades, say when wide lapels and double-breasted jackets were almost ubiquitous, it looks fantastic across the board now and would've done so at any point after the 00s. Gives me some hope that taste and style will prevail over fashion. Said it before, but I prefer Bond to look timeless rather than on-trend. Although if he starts the trend (eg. the SF suit and the Barbour), that's fine, obvs! ;)

Connery's suits have a much fuller fit than most modern suits (not just Craig's trendy shrunken ones) and are made of heavier cloths. The trousers also sit higher on the waist and have pleats. As cool as Connery looked in the 60s, if Craig had worn a suit in exactly the same style (at any time during his tenure) he would've looked old-fashioned and out of place. Lazenby's suits in OHMSS actually have more in common with contemporary fashion, while still being classic and timeless.

Yes, actually Lazenby is one of the most stylish Bond's. Many of his outfits in OHMSS really are timeless. Probably the best one is the grey suit during the Gumbold office scene.

OHMSS_PrinceOfWales-4.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I always felt that a few of Lazenby's costumes were particularly horrific. So extravagant and colourful in a strange late 60s sort of way.

ie. the frilly ruffled shirt which I can't ever get past for some reason and just generally find un-Bondian.

George-Lazenby-Ruffled-Shirt-2.jpg

The cream white suit and pink shirt combo which I suppose is a precursor to Connery's in DAF.

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

The orange jumper and light brown jacket/trouser combo.

On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-Brown-Golfing-Outfit.jpg

And the double breasted suit, which is less indicative of my issues, and is actually ok in itself, but I just don't think Bond should ever wear double breasted suits.

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Some of his darker suits are nice though, I agree. But otherwise I've always felt Lazenby's wardrobe was a bit too 'dandy'-ish for Bond.

I don't think of that way, if any, Moore's clothing for me are the worst of the Bond wardrobes.
    Safari Suits? Bell Bottom Trousers? Colored printed neckties?

Half of his suits where he did looked more like a Game Show Host than Bond, but maybe it's just me.

When it comes to the double breasted suits, it depends upon the design, Connery and Lazenby did it well.

Moore? Not so much.

I just think that Moore had the most un-Bondian wardrobe collection of any Bond actor.

And it's one of the things that makes him less credible in the role, his wardrobe, and Moore in his suits did looked a lot more dandy, because of that debonair aspect in him and his clothing.

I do find it funny that since they kept the same gun-barrel for Moore's later films you have this strange situation where the first image you see of Bond in an 80s film is him walking across the screen in flares.

I love it :)

FvVO319WIAIZIVO?format=jpg&name=medium

:)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Deleted - double post
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,393
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes, everything about Connery in that photo just radiates Bond. Couldn't be improved. What's also great to me is that while Connery's suit would've looked out of place to a lot of people at various times over the intervening decades, say when wide lapels and double-breasted jackets were almost ubiquitous, it looks fantastic across the board now and would've done so at any point after the 00s. Gives me some hope that taste and style will prevail over fashion. Said it before, but I prefer Bond to look timeless rather than on-trend. Although if he starts the trend (eg. the SF suit and the Barbour), that's fine, obvs! ;)

Connery's suits have a much fuller fit than most modern suits (not just Craig's trendy shrunken ones) and are made of heavier cloths. The trousers also sit higher on the waist and have pleats. As cool as Connery looked in the 60s, if Craig had worn a suit in exactly the same style (at any time during his tenure) he would've looked old-fashioned and out of place. Lazenby's suits in OHMSS actually have more in common with contemporary fashion, while still being classic and timeless.

Yes, actually Lazenby is one of the most stylish Bond's. Many of his outfits in OHMSS really are timeless. Probably the best one is the grey suit during the Gumbold office scene.

Maybe it's just me, but I always felt that a few of Lazenby's costumes were particularly horrific. So extravagant and colourful in a strange late 60s sort of way.

ie. the frilly ruffled shirt which I can't ever get past for some reason and just generally find un-Bondian.

The cream white suit and pink shirt combo which I suppose is a precursor to Connery's in DAF.

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

And the double breasted suit, which is less indicative of my issues, and is actually ok in itself, but I just don't think Bond should ever wear double breasted suits.

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Some of his darker suits are nice though, I agree. But otherwise I've always felt Lazenby's wardrobe was a bit too 'dandy'-ish for Bond.

I don't think of that way, if any, Moore's clothing for me are the worst of the Bond wardrobes.

Half of his suits where he did looked more like a Game Show Host than Bond, but maybe it's just me.

When it comes to the double breasted suits, it depends upon the design, Connery and Lazenby did it well.

Moore? Not so much.

I just think that Moore had the most un-Bondian wardrobe collection of any Bond actor.

And it's one of the things that makes him less credible in the role, his wardrobe, and Moore in his suits did looked a lot more dandy, because of that debonair aspect in him and his clothing.

I do find it funny that since they kept the same gun-barrel for Moore's later films you have this strange situation where the first image you see of Bond in an 80s film is him walking across the screen in flares.

53136518581_fdd9495215_b.jpg

A bit similar to the second set of pictures.
    Another one:

laldblack-main.jpg?ssl=1
    517jmZNAstL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,971

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Moore? Not so much.

:))
    Another one:

laldblack-main.jpg?ssl=1

I must admit, I actually like Bond's outfit there and think it's one of the more tasteful outfits of Moore's era, as 70s-ish as it looks.

I always felt it was a sort of 'modern' take on the black polo/trouser combo that Connery's Bond used for covert tasks in GF and TB:

Thunderball-Black.jpg
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,393

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Moore? Not so much.

Another one:

laldblack-main.jpg?ssl=1

I must admit, I actually like Bond's outfit there and think it's one of the more tasteful outfits of Moore's era, as 70s-ish as it looks.

I always felt it was a sort of 'modern' take on the black polo/trouser combo that Connery's Bond used for covert tasks in GF and TB:

Thunderball-Black.jpg

It's been copied in Bullitt and to the lesser, Archer

TACTLENECK!

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Moore? Not so much.

Another one:

laldblack-main.jpg?ssl=1

Thunderball-Black.jpg

It's been copied in Bullitt and to the lesser, Archer. 😁

TACTILENECK!

Haha, yes it is basically Steve McQueen's outfit in Bullit, isn't it? As that clip from Archer implies as well, it's probably some of the most impractical clothes for such a mission considering the location Bond is in (the climate's probably too warm for a thick long sleeved turtleneck, and it doesn't exactly camouflage him etc.)

Must say though, perhaps this is controversial, but I think Moore wears it better.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Moore? Not so much.

Another one:

laldblack-main.jpg?ssl=1

Thunderball-Black.jpg

I did like that look: Bond not actually going too far with a jumpsuit and all that silly stuff, just classily going undercover.

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Moore? Not so much.

Another one:

laldblack-main.jpg?ssl=1

Thunderball-Black.jpg

I did like that look: Bond not actually going too far with a jumpsuit and all that silly stuff, just classily going undercover.

There's definitely a sense of 'I found this black polo shirt and trousers in my wardrobe and this will do for the purposes of this'. No need for anything too elaborate, I agree. I don't think Bond needs to have a specific 'covert suit' with boots, pouches, and armour etc. like the one that seems to pop up in the earlier video games.

5919581-007-agent-under-fire-render-bond-combat.jpg

the-nightfire-crew.large.jpg

darren-pattenden-brosnan-bond.jpg?1473900985

I mean, why would he? He's a secret agent, and of course the point of such attire in those situations is to draw the least attention to himself. I suspect such a suit would be very cumbersome and heavy anyway.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2023 Posts: 13,894

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Moore? Not so much.

Another one:

laldblack-main.jpg?ssl=1

Thunderball-Black.jpg

It depends on the situation. Bond uses a jumpsuit when parachuting onto Gibraltar, and a dark polo shirt and trousers look to infiltrate Whittaker's home. Both looks work for the situation.

Lazenby-Cream-Suit.jpg

ohmss8-main.jpg?ssl=1

Moore? Not so much.

Another one:

laldblack-main.jpg?ssl=1

Thunderball-Black.jpg

It depends on the situation. Bond uses a jumpsuit when parachuting onto Gibraltar, and a dark polo shirt and trousers look to infiltrate Whittaker's home. Both looks work for the situation.

Yes, depends upon the situation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    One thing I do like is that when he does it in Goldfinger to sneak around Auric's factory, he's actually got a smart little V neck jumper on.
    I'm still baffled when Craig wore a jumpsuit in the SPECTRE poster akin to LALD, but never wore it in the actual film.
    I'm still baffled when Craig wore a jumpsuit in the SPECTRE poster akin to LALD, but never wore it in the actual film.

Does he not wear that sort of tactilneck but with a jacket over it during the climax in London?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It's tricky designing for Bond. It has to be classic and at the same time stylish for the era it's in. I actually think the efforts during Craig's era were good in this sense. We never got anything like this, for instance:

Pierce-Brosnan-looked-suave-with-his-brown-tinted-sunglasses-4346536.jpg?r=1666039120317

So something missed, then.

615444b92fb46b0019be8a84?width=700
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Thing is, Bond's suits need to evoke Bond vibe, like in this:
    x3a214xzfpdk.jpg
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I wish Craig had a haircut more like that as Bond. Ideally that’s how we would have seen him in SF, rather than the more military buzz cut.
    It's tricky designing for Bond. It has to be classic and at the same time stylish for the era it's in. I actually think the efforts during Craig's era were good in this sense. We never got anything like this, for instance:

Pierce-Brosnan-looked-suave-with-his-brown-tinted-sunglasses-4346536.jpg?r=1666039120317

So something missed, then.

615444b92fb46b0019be8a84?width=700

And that angered Piers Morgan 😅
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Wasn’t it the baby sack that upset Morgan?
    One thing I do like is that when he does it in Goldfinger to sneak around Auric's factory, he's actually got a smart little V neck jumper on.

Apparently that was a John Smedley jumper (I have one similar). Craig also wore one in SF.

Sure, there's that too, but he'd also called out that Pink suit.

No, here's the article:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/piers-morgan-ridiculed-daniel-craigs-121426277.html
    Strange, not like Piers Morgan to get so wound up about these things....

It was a horrid jacket though. Velvet suit jackets need to be darker I find. Rory Kinnear's red one from the same premiere, while not to my taste, was better.

rory-kinnear-attending-the-world-premiere-of-no-time-to-die-held-at-the-royal-albert-hall-in-london-picture-date-tuesday-september-28-2021-2GP4NC4.jpg
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    There Tanner goes, blending into the carpet again. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think I'd take Craig's one there; I think he looked great.

As I recall, Brosnan turned up to one of the premieres (TWINE I think..?) in a weird cravat and morning suit affair, looked like he was going to a wedding/playing an Edwardian time traveller. Very odd.

Yes, here you go:

james-bond-actor-pierce-brosnan-and-his-partner-keely-shaye-smith-as-they-arrive-for-the.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=dvX1B2Q6Xnhw7_qkcvScXnzktQBYc9fJQ_sSt3y3ubo=
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

As I recall, Brosnan turned up to one of the premieres (TWINE I think..?) in a weird cravat and morning suit affair, looked like he was going to a wedding/playing an Edwardian time traveller. Very odd.

Yes, here you go:

james-bond-actor-pierce-brosnan-and-his-partner-keely-shaye-smith-as-they-arrive-for-the.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=dvX1B2Q6Xnhw7_qkcvScXnzktQBYc9fJQ_sSt3y3ubo=

A bad outfit to accompany a bad Bond film.
    I wish Craig had a haircut more like that as Bond. Ideally that’s how we would have seen him in SF, rather than the more military buzz cut.

Yes, I championed for a haircut like that for years and years. Alas, no.

Yes, here you go:

What a random thing to wear.

There have been some odd fashion choices at some of these Bond premieres. I suppose a part of Brosnan's Dr. Who outfit there or Craig's pink velvet jacket is to separate themselves from Bond in some way. Maybe I'm thinking a bit too much about it though.
  • @mtm Which movie are the pics on the left from in your comparison?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

What doesn't upset him is the better question.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes, here you go:

What a random thing to wear.

There have been some odd fashion choices at some of these Bond premieres. I suppose a part of Brosnan's Dr. Who outfit there or Craig's pink velvet jacket is to separate themselves from Bond in some way. Maybe I'm thinking a bit too much about it though.

I think that's absolutely it, they don't want to look like they've in costume as 007. But that Brosnan get-up was awful at the time.
    @mtm Which movie are the pics on the left from in your comparison?

They're all from Carry On Camping, which was shooting at Pinewood Studios in 1969...