Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Sorry. Maybe one of the mods can edit it in the appropriate thread.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 13,091
    With Dalton and Brosnan, they're still with us looking great is the thing.

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,393
    Lazenby is still alive too, and guess what, he's over 80 and still looking good.

Edit: Have you seen what Google did to his bio before? They've made Lazenby dead (they've accidentally put 2023), so a likely mistake from Google, but the guy is still alive, thankfully, it's fixed immediately.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Lazenby is great but he doesn't look Dalton or Brosnan good.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Obviously these are highly subjective statements.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Lazenby is the oldest so it makes sense that he would look the oldest, even though he looks fine for his age. Ultimately, no matter how good any of them look, it doesn't mean they're still capable or willing to do it again.
    What still surprises me is the fact that people actually want Pierce and Timothy to return as Bond even though they're both in their 70's, with Tim being almost 80.

Well,if Harrison Ford can still play Indy when he’s 80…

• edited August 2023 Posts: 2,087
    I doubt either Pierce, or Timothy would return even if they were asked.
    As much as I’d love seeing them back for one more, it seems a bit too out of the realm of possibility.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    What still surprises me is the fact that people actually want Pierce and Timothy to return as Bond even though they're both in their 70's, with Tim being almost 80.

Not everyone wants to be an action star at 80.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

I think it only works for Ford, because he IS Indiana Jones.
    Where as Pierce hasn't played Bond for 21 years.
    Timothy's not been Bond for 34 years. There's a difference.
    Benny wrote: »

I think it only works for Ford, because he IS Indiana Jones.
    Where as Pierce hasn't played Bond for 21 years.
    Timothy's not been Bond for 34 years. There's a difference.

Indeed. And as much as some of us might be fans of the idea, I can't see it being of that much interest to general audiences really.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’d be more excited by the prospect of a new Bond actor rather than the return of any of the previous Bonds. Of course, I have no childhood attachment to any of the Bonds like some fans do, especially Brosnan fans as I see on Twitter.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it would be a terrible idea. And so presumably would all of those fans who have called for the next film to be a standalone completely removed from any sense of continuity.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As amusing at the thought of a past Bond coming back is, it just wouldn't work. This isn't Doctor Who. Doctor Who can get away with bringing back previous actors, as the idea has been baked into the shows DNA since 1973. With Bond, it wouldn't work. The best we could hope for, and I have brought this up in the past, is an animated film made during the current gap, where we don't have a current Bond.

I would rather think of Dalton:Bond as this:

livday.jpg

Not older and slower as he naturally be at 80.
    Any of the living former Bonds could come back as M or some other high ranking MI6 official. But as Bond? No. We don't need old codger jokes and seeing Bond sitting around in his slippers and underwear yelling at the neighbors, which DOD seemed to think characterizes old men.

I am an original Bond fan who has always missed the Connery era and still believe it is the best, flaws acknowledged. No actor since has been as enjoyable in the role as Connery, even though I liked GL, TD, and DC. I have no expectation future Bond films will recapture what I liked about the SC era. Even the actors and films I've liked since Connery's time didn't capture what made those films special. Those films had a unique combination of elements that has not been duplicated. But that's okay. You roll with times.

I hope Bond 26 finds its unique Bond identity and does end up like a knockoff of MI, Fast and Furious, or an overblown Netflix CGI extravaganza starring a pretty boy with zero believability.

Craig was a great Bond. In some respects a better Bond than a couple of films themselves were Bond films. But that's an opinion.

The wait has been long and portends to be much longer. I hope the anticipation and expectation for Bond 26 doesn't reach a point that the film itself cannot deliver. If it can come close to CR, I think most audiences will be pleased.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Any of the living former Bonds could come back as M or some other high ranking MI6 official. But as Bond? No. We don't need old codger jokes and seeing Bond sitting around in his slippers and underwear yelling at the neighbors, which DOD seemed to think characterizes old men.

I am an original Bond fan who has always missed the Connery era and still believe it is the best, flaws acknowledged. No actor since has been as enjoyable in the role as Connery, even though I liked GL, TD, and DC. I have no expectation future Bond films will recapture what I liked about the SC era. Even the actors and films I've liked since Connery's time didn't capture what made those films special. Those films had a unique combination of elements that has not been duplicated. But that's okay. You roll with times.

I hope Bond 26 finds its unique Bond identity and does end up like a knockoff of MI, Fast and Furious, or an overblown Netflix CGI extravaganza starring a pretty boy with zero believability.

Craig was a great Bond. In some respects a better Bond than a couple of films themselves were Bond films. But that's an opinion.

The wait has been long and portends to be much longer. I hope the anticipation and expectation for Bond 26 doesn't reach a point that the film itself cannot deliver. If it can come close to CR, I think most audiences will be pleased.

Well said!
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Maybe they could reprise their roles in videogame form like Connery did with the From Russia With Love game.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Maybe they could reprise their roles in videogame form like Connery did with the From Russia With Love game.

I'm still a bit annoyed they didn't do one with Roger after FRWL. Hopefully he'd have been up for it.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,393
    mtm wrote: »

I'm still a bit annoyed they didn't do one with Roger after FRWL. Hopefully he'd have been up for it.

The 007 Legends already messed it up, in what should've been a game for every Bond actor.

GF for Connery, MR for Moore, LTK for Dalton and OHMSS for Lazenby, and SF for Craig, and DAD for Brosnan.
  • mtm wrote: »

Agent Under Fire was originally going to feature Moore’s likeness, and presumably he would’ve came back to voice the character, but they opted for a more generic player model for Bond instead.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Me too.
    Imagine, a game based on The Spy Who Loved Me.

SIS_HQ wrote: »

The 007 Legends already messed it up, in what should've been a game for every Bond actor.

GF for Connery, MR for Moore, LTK for Dalton and OHMSS for Lazenby, and SF for Craig, and DAD for Brosnan.

I mean, it was kinda obvious they wouldn't have all the Bond actors' appearances since $$$, but at least they could have tried to make something more original rather than forcefully putting Craig's appearance, like, i don't know, mashing all the Bond actors' faces into one.
    james-bond-face-meld-513x700.png
    I must admit, a part of me actually wants a short film (not a feature length one) with Brosnan reprising his Bond as an older man. That said EON won't do it, it likely wouldn't add anything, and Bond is just one of those series that has to look forward really.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess the thing is we've literally just had a film with a retired Bond who's called back for Just One More Job; it would be silly to get two in a row.

Me too.

Yes indeed. Of course those old enough to remember know we got computer games based on Spy (and LALD!) in the 90s, but a modern game with Roger actually in it (and I think his voice would have aged even better than Sean's did) would have been such fun.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I guess the thing is we've literally just had a film with a retired Bond who's called back for Just One More Job; it would be silly to get two in a row.

Me too.

Yes indeed. Of course those old enough to remember know we got computer games based on Spy (and LALD!) in the 90s, but a modern game with Roger actually in it (and I think his voice would have aged even better than Sean's did) would have been such fun.

Agreed on both counts. I don't think it's something EON would consider, bringing back a past Bond. It limits them very much as to what they can do with the character, and has a very limited timeframe as to how long the actor can stay in the role.
    As too a Roger Moore voiced video game, it is a real shame that this never happened. Thinking about it, so many of his Bond films would transfer well to a video game, LALD, TSWLM, MR and FYEO especially. One of those what could've been in the world of Bond.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 305
    As amusing at the thought of a past Bond coming back is, it just wouldn't work. This isn't Doctor Who. Doctor Who can get away with bringing back previous actors, as the idea has been baked into the shows DNA since 1973. With Bond, it wouldn't work. The best we could hope for, and I have brought this up in the past, is an animated film made during the current gap, where we don't have a current Bond.

I would rather think of Dalton:Bond as this:

livday.jpg

Not older and slower as he naturally be at 80.

It's almost impossible for a much older actor to convey the same vibe as when they were in their prime. This advert kinda sums it up I guess...

;)

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I don't really want to see this idea and Eon would never allow it but:

I could see Dalton as the older Bond in a flashback-heavy TV miniseries that was basically the plot of Pearson's The Authorized Biography of 007.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 566
    Another thing to consider is it would be the second film in a row to feature an aging Bond (or fourth film if you want to count SF and SP). It'd be like 1983 all over again.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 305
    Speaking of aging actors...

PSX-20230813-014312.jpg
    ;))

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited August 2023 Posts: 1,443
    Potential plot: lacking U.S. naval oversight in the Alaskan region prompts its allies (our naval commander) to investigate mysterious activity and sabotage attempts at establishing a new naval base of operations to counter the Russo-Chinese fleet.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/china-russia-flotilla-near-aleutians-prompt-calls-for-naval-base-in-alaska

Maybe it turns out the region has been vastly polluted by energy companies mining for oil or something and they're trying to cover it up. I don't know I don't do this for a living.
    @LucknFate Seems to be better for Jack Ryan than Bond.