Would you rather be a sidekick OR the main villain of the next Bond adventure?

Comments

Easily DAF. The movie YOLT was ruined for me after reading the Novel YOLT.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    YOLT. And it isn't really close.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    This one is tough for me but I am going with DAF mainly due to the dialogue and the supporting cast. Morton Slumber, Shady Tree, even the lady who takes her umbrella lest it rain, all shine. I do love YOLT for the rooftop sequence at the docks, the incredible volcano set and Barry's score, but I am sticking with DAF.

Okay this next one might not be close BUT you just never know. Lets do a battle of the finales' between Dalton and Craig

Would you rather watch Dalton's finale LTK OR Daniel's finale in NTTD?
    LTK without question.
    LTK. I do think NTTD is a good Bond film on the whole, but this is still a clear-cut choice for me.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Winky the Fountain Fish all the way! I mean, the truck chase which trumps any action scene in NTTD.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It just depends upon my mood.
    If I want something utterly light and fun and silly, then Dalton. If I want the most serious, moving, and appropriate final goodbye for Craig's Bond, then NTTD.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I have a lot more issues with NTTD than LTK, so therefore, I'd go with LTK.
    LTK without question!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    NTTD.

LTK will always be in the bottom for me.
    thedove wrote: »
    This one is tough for me but I am going with DAF mainly due to the dialogue and the supporting cast. Morton Slumber, Shady Tree, even the lady who takes her umbrella lest it rain, all shine. I do love YOLT for the rooftop sequence at the docks, the incredible volcano set and Barry's score, but I am sticking with DAF.

Okay this next one might not be close BUT you just never know. Lets do a battle of the finales' between Dalton and Craig

Would you rather watch Dalton's finale LTK OR Daniel's finale in NTTD?

LTK....by several millions light years.
  • Licence to Kill
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    LTK is one of my favourite films in the series.

And NTTD... isn't.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Licence to Kill doesn’t make me sick…

Oh, and James Bond is in it!
    If I want something utterly light and fun and silly, then Dalton. If I want the most serious, moving, and appropriate final goodbye for Craig's Bond, then NTTD.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe Dalton's performance in LTK as light, fun, and silly!

Anyway, in terms of the films I prefer LTK. NTTD does, however, have the edge in terms of filmmaking, but it's the script that I think puts LTK over the edge.

Performance wise, I think Craig has moments which rank amongst the best acting of his Bond tenure (him visiting Vesper's grave is an example), and it's clear there was a specific direction that was taken with the character in this film. You have a Bond who has been out of the spy game for five years, and in his isolation seems much more relaxed and willing to form connections with those around him. Obviously there are some controversial moments within that performance (the interrogation scene is the most apparent one, which I'm not terribly fond of either), but I get what they were doing.

That said Dalton is at his best as Bond. Dalton didn't quite have Connery's irony or Moore's tongue in cheek-ness so that side of the cinematic Bonds dialled back in this one slightly, but it really shows a Bond who is ruthless, dark, and actually quite human. So I'll go for Dalton.
    007HallY wrote: »

I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe Dalton's performance in LTK as light, fun, and silly!
    That's what I was thinking. LTK is as dark and serious as it gets in certain places, and there is nothing remotely light, fun or silly about Dalton's performance at all.

That's what I was thinking. LTK is as dark and serious as it gets in certain places, and there is nothing remotely light, fun or silly about Dalton's performance at all.

Yeah, like I said it very much played to Dalton's strengths as a dramatic actor. But some of the lighter moments are very humanising. I really like him giving a big grin when he commandeers the plane with the money, or the 'switch the bloody machine off' line.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2023 Posts: 40,492
    LTK for me, easily. I really dig that one but the emotional impact of NTTD has lessened with each new viewing and it has a lot of fat that needed trimmed. LTK strikes that "dark yet fun" balance much better.

Yeah, like I said it very much played to Dalton's strengths as a dramatic actor. But some of the lighter moments are very humanising. I really like him giving a big grin when he commandeers the plane with the money, or the 'switch the bloody machine off' line.

I think Dalton's portrayal in LTK is unbeatable. After that, I would have to go all the way back to Connery in GF in terms of an amazing performance to match it.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,954

I think Dalton's portrayal in LTK is unbeatable. After that, I would have to go all the way back to Connery in GF in terms of an amazing performance to match it.

I think it's a really interesting performance. Dalton in that film just looks much more tired and almost haggard throughout most of it, which is of course unusual for a Bond performance but very fitting for this story. There are moments when his ruthlessness is almost scary (the bit when he holds Lupe at knife point in the boat is an example) which is a side of Bond I like seeing brought out from time to time. But again there are those more human moments too which are much lighter. It's a different performance to Connery's in GF (which I agree is excellent, has moments of vulnerability, but still really epitomises the essential qualities of the cinematic Bond). I'd say it's more comparable to Connery's performance in FRWL, which is I think the first time we see a Bond who is less self-assured.

I can see why younger Bond fans and viewers gravitate a bit more towards Dalton nowadays than in his time. I often speak to people who tell me that until Craig, Dalton's Bond was the first truly rounded and multifaceted version of the character. Whether true or not it's certainly something that's felt with a lot of modern audiences, and it says something.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    NTTD.

LTK is a solid entry, but the first half was riddled with poor lighting and photography, giving it that tv- look.

The story, acting and filmmaking pick up with Bond arriving in Isthmus City. But the production values are still dodgy in places...

NTTD is beautifully shot and more pleasing to my eye (and I love the story, warts and all).
    NTTD. Easily It's a harder watch, but for the sheer risk and ambition, as well as the aesthetic, I'll go for it. And I must confess it again, I'm not a fan of LTK. Too much of an 80s generic action movie where Bond has a looong cameo.
    LTK by a mile over NTTD. Dalton's era was much closer to Fleming and the addition of the Brofeld element in the Craig era compromised it.
    delfloria wrote: »
    LTK by a mile over NTTD. Dalton's era was much closer to Fleming and the addition of the Brofeld element in the Craig era compromised it.

Looks like LTK is the clear winner so far. My faith in humanity has been restored... <:-P
    delfloria wrote: »

Looks like LTK is the clear winner so far. My faith in humanity has been restored... <:-P
    Yep ;) Mine too. Also, I knew the NTTD histeria would settle down at some point and people would recognize its many faults.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    LTK for me also. There's something endlessly rewatchable about it. I don't feel the same about NTTD.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    NTTD has a runtime/pacing issue, making it tougher for me to easily rewatch. I'd like to see the next one make every sequence count and go no longer than 130 minutes max or somewhere around there.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    LTK is better than NTTD.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 13,060
    NTTD easily. And Dalton is my favorite Bond actor.

smug-daniel-craig.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    LTK. I have no plans on seeing NTTD again.