Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited August 2023 Posts: 3,037
    007HallY wrote: »
    @Benny
    Acting is in my blood. I have grey hair. I can sing and I don't have a Welsh accent.
    Every day I get stronger.
    You'll need to dye the hair, like Connery, Moore, Dalton and Brozza had to do... ;)

Does anyone know if Craig had dyed his hair at all playing Bond?

I think he specifically said when he got the role that he didn't want to dye his hair. His other contribution was suggesting he cut his hair shorter because his suited his Bond more.

I think dye may have been added in NTTD, as he is looking visibly greyer now, and there are certain shots when his hair has an unnatural brown/orange tint edge to it.

Ah I get you now. I dunno, his hair's lighter anyway, his greying is pretty subtle, and there's stuff like lighting/colour grading in the film to account for, so it's a bit hard to tell. To be fair I noticed his temples looking a little greyer at times during the film, but it's quite subtle and he's playing a Bond in his 50s anyway.

It'd make sense if they did for the Matera sequences just to highlight the time gap maybe.

EDIT: Apparently no, he didn't dye it, at least for the majority of the film. In fact it was allegedly embraced due to the character being older in this one: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7793325/Daniel-Craig-James-Bond-grey-locks-No-Time-Die.html

According to that article, he dyed his hair in QoS. I can't say I really noticed.

Can't say I did either. Then again given how much the hair department has done on the Bond actors throughout the years it's pretty minor I suppose (there's of course Connery's toupees, Moore's need for hair thickening by AVTAK, Dalton's Count Dracula hair hiding his thinning locks etc.)
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Univex wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    I don't think naming a POC is race baiting. I just don't.... AND...

I STILL think Sope is the best candidate. He's alpha, he has great fashion and looks good in most things he wears, he's athletic, has swagger...

I don't care what his skin color is. He exudes all the traits I want to see in Bond, and the other candidates don't have them like this guy does.

And I don't have an agenda. I just don't, lol. I just find this actor very appealing on all fronts-- it's as simple as that.

And I understand why others disagree with me. Doesn't make that person a racist, and it doesn't mean I have an agenda, lol!

It's just an opinion.

I also think casting a man of color has problems when it comes to marketing and distribution in certain countries. I just don't see it happening just yet. At one time I thought it was possible, not anymore.

Sadly.

I think there's still a chance. They changed Dr. Who into a woman without much problem. I agree he's the best candidate at the moment, although I don't think much of him myself. He's just the best of a not very special bunch, in my opinion.

The chances are EON may be choosing a complete unknown, who is not on anyone's radar.

And in my opinion there are only 2 possible candidates that I would be happy with currently - Aidan Turner or ATJ.

This ^ Absolutely this.

3dd06040-3573-4d3c-83cd-66b42ef74113.jpg
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,393
    @Benny
    Acting is in my blood. I have grey hair. I can sing and I don't have a Welsh accent.
    Every day I get stronger.
    You'll need to dye the hair, like Connery, Moore, Dalton and Brozza had to do... ;)

Does anyone know if Craig had dyed his hair at all playing Bond?

I think he specifically said when he got the role that he didn't want to dye his hair. His other contribution was suggesting he cut his hair shorter because his suited his Bond more.

I think dye may have been added in NTTD, as he is looking visibly greyer now, and there are certain shots when his hair has an unnatural brown/orange tint edge to it.

Ah I get you now. I dunno, his hair's lighter anyway, his greying is pretty subtle, and there's stuff like lighting/colour grading in the film to account for, so it's a bit hard to tell. To be fair I noticed his temples looking a little greyer at times during the film, but it's quite subtle and he's playing a Bond in his 50s anyway.

It'd make sense if they did for the Matera sequences just to highlight the time gap maybe.

EDIT: Apparently no, he didn't dye it, at least for the majority of the film. In fact it was allegedly embraced due to the character being older in this one: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7793325/Daniel-Craig-James-Bond-grey-locks-No-Time-Die.html

Yes, like what I've said, the film was intended to show Bond a little more older and matured (more seasoned than usual), although it's also one of the reasons why I always find his romance with Madeleine a bit uncomfortable, because of the more obvious age gap, Craig and Madeleine, especially in the Norway scenes, felt like Father and daughter already, more like Moore and Tanya Roberts in AVTAK).

Thanks for the link @007HallY
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 3,279

I STILL think Sope is the best candidate. He's alpha, he has great fashion and looks good in most things he wears, he's athletic, has swagger...

I don't care what his skin color is. He exudes all the traits I want to see in Bond, and the other candidates don't have them like this guy does.

And I don't have an agenda. I just don't, lol. I just find this actor very appealing on all fronts-- it's as simple as that.

And I understand why others disagree with me. Doesn't make that person a racist, and it doesn't mean I have an agenda, lol!

It's just an opinion.

I also think casting a man of color has problems when it comes to marketing and distribution in certain countries. I just don't see it happening just yet. At one time I thought it was possible, not anymore.

Sadly.

I think there's still a chance. They changed Dr. Who into a woman without much problem. I agree he's the best candidate at the moment, although I don't think much of him myself. He's just the best of a not very special bunch, in my opinion.

The chances are EON may be choosing a complete unknown, who is not on anyone's radar.

And in my opinion there are only 2 possible candidates that I would be happy with currently - Aidan Turner or ATJ.

This ^ Absolutely this.

Now to me that is most people's image of Bond.

Not this, which I am really not getting -
    Shutterstock_13984466ab.jpg

• edited August 2023 Posts: 6,677

It's just an opinion.

Sadly.

This ^ Absolutely this.

That photo was taken 8 years ago. Unfortunately, now Aidan is too old, fat and bald to play Bond. He has aged terribly (please note the sarcasm) ;)

MV5BOTg3YmJiYzAtNzIxMy00MTAzLWI5MDMtYTlmZmMxNzY0MTEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0MzQwMjgz._V1_.jpg

Still my favourite.

Now for the next post, someone will lecture us on posting photos of Aidan Turner, which is somewhat distraughting to some who find them too canonical and square. We mustn’t, we really mustn’t. Let the Chalamet/ Dirisu supporters chime in with their respectively shiny man dresses and muscle clad brutes pictures.

Now now, just good fun ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Having been a barber/ stylist for 37 years, in my opinion Craig had some form of hair coloring in all of his Bond films, with the possible exception of Skyfall , and I’d have to rewatch that to verify.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 307
    john-allen-james-bond-sean-connery.jpeg?itok=a0CLGIXN

Yadda yadda yadda....

Never Wear A Wig Again

James-Bond.jpg

In cinemas summer 2025

;))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7 …. His eyebrows, especially his right one, had a strange color in NTTD.. I didn’t know if this was a result of color correction in post, or a dye job to bring out his eyes.

It’s about the only thing I did t like about that film (his right eyebrow, 😂)
    😂
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Craig Bond's hair was at its darkest in Blood Stone. It doesn't really suit him to have it that dark.
  • Again, Turner has the looks of a Sicilian mafioso. Not Bond material.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Again, Turner has the looks of a Sicilian mafioso. Not Bond material.

Now i'm imagining Turner in a Scarface loose sequel.
    Turner's look are okay. It's his acting skills and charisma that I find lacking. I suspect he'll be the new Clive Owen, with a dedicated base of supporters, but nothing else.
  • Someone posted a pre-CR interview when Craig addresses the Bond rumours, and he talks about having grey hair. It's a sign lol
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Turner's look are okay. It's his acting skills and charisma that I find lacking. I suspect he'll be the new Clive Owen, with a dedicated base of supporters, but nothing else.

Yep I think so too mate, sadly as he's my pick for the role.

Leo Suter would be my pick if it wasn't Turner. Suter would be an exciting younger Bond, but he'd still possess the gravitas needed for the role
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

Yep I think so too mate, sadly as he's my pick for the role.

Leo Suter would be my pick if it wasn't Turner. Suter would be an exciting younger Bond, but he'd still possess the gravitas needed for the role

I like Leo for it. He's in the perfect position career-wise, notable but not too big yet.
    Good to Lee Leo Suter mentioned; he’s got potential.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 12,837

It's just an opinion.

Sadly.

Without much problem? I don't know about that, it caused a bit of noise. Chibnall wanted a female Doctor from the outset, and I suspect cast the first actress he could think of, without stopping to think of whether she could do it. She was badly miscast, but his awful writing certainly didn't help.

Well I don't watch the show so I can't comment on the quality. I know some people weren't keen on it, but enough people seemed to like it or at least thought it was good enough. Did the ratings drop significantly?

Her first episode pulled in (over a seven day period) 10.54M views, while her last pulled in 5.1M view. Though the lowest of her era, was one of the specials which had 3.4M, the lowest in Doctor Who history. The overnight figures are even worse (so it is being generous to look at the 7 day figures). Compared to her predecessor who had a slightly higher high, and not quite as low a low. The decline has been happening for some time.

The ratings got worse and worse because it was shit (I didn’t watch past her first season personally). Nothing to do with her being a woman and the initial success shows that.

And even though it caused a bit of noise at the time, I think the point George was making is, is anybody bothered now? You didn’t want a woman Doctor Who, you still watch it. I bet most of the fans against it still do, and obviously that’s not all the fans in the first place, let alone the whole audience.

I don’t know if the same would be true of a black or asian actor as Bond though. Sometimes I think it would be. But Doctor Who’s so different that I don’t think you can compare them the same way. People expect big sudden changes with that show, it’s baked into its DNA, reboots itself every few years. Bond has changed a lot but it’s always been a bit more incremental. And changing his race unfortunately seems to me like it’d be a bigger deal than it would’ve been a decade or so ago. I think Sope could be good but part of me wonders if it’s the right time.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 163
    Again, Turner has the looks of a Sicilian mafioso. Not Bond material.

Would you like to tell that to Lazenby, Dalton and Brosnan as well? The guy is dark and handsome defined, tall enough at 180cm too.

Funny.

skynews-aidan-turner-fifteen-love_6223711.jpg?20230719181749
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    I mean, when Craig was announced as the new Bond everyone said he had more of a "russian boxer"'s looks, and also that he was "blonde".
    And nowadays he's a fan favourite.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    talos7 wrote: »

I Lee what you did there.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

I Lee what you did there.

Oops, “ see”
    Suter has a good face, but with him it seems more 'attitude' than real acting chops
    If I were a betting man…

cover1-64d50ed0effef.jpg?resize=980:*

p01343-04-155-bw-64d512ae715ad.jpg?resize=980:*

Also, here’s the interview: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a44730888/aaron-taylor-johnson-interview-2023/

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,943
    Y'know, when you put it like this...

It's a good looking ship, I'm afraid it's sailed.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    It's a good looking ship, I'm afraid it's sailed.

Yes, I think so too, unfortunately.
    If I were a betting man…

Also, here’s the interview: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a44730888/aaron-taylor-johnson-interview-2023/

It has to be him. ATJ is the next Bond, I'm almost certain of it.
    If I were a betting man…

It has to be him. ATJ is the next Bond, I'm almost certain of it.

Yes, I think so too.

Btw, @jetsetwilly, my old friend, each time you write something, you make me feel redundant ;) More and more so. We are quite aligned in our views. Cheers
    I do think that, if conditions were permitting and things organized, and if the rumors are smoke where there's fire, he would be the choice at this moment. That doesn't mean the choice is able to officially have been made, though, and the role is infamously notorious in these inbetween interludes.