DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2023 Posts: 23,449
    Yeah… sorry Cavill, I’m not gonna miss you.

Let’s not dismiss Cavill like that already, especially when we haven’t even seen a frame of footage of Corenswet as Superman, because while you may not miss him, Cavill still has legions of fans from his take, and he’s going to be a tough act to follow.

Totally agree, I am fan of Cavill and he was great as Superman.

Same here! I think the man perfectly embodied everything about the character, even if some of the material he was given was questionable. Ben Affleck was quite marvelous too.

I am a fan of Snyders trilogy though it was not perfect, I see it more as an Elseworld story.

Regarding the so called reboot I think the way things have gone with many of the DC films I think a total clean slate is needed across the board, I would recast everybody.

I am not convinced that superhero fatigue exists, though I think the audience is fed up with mediocre films which Marvel and DC have delivered by the bucket load recently.

Personally I would dump the whole extended universe thing and just concentrate on making a good movie, unfortunately studios are obsessed with the extended universe despite the fact its starting to fail..
  • Yeah… sorry Cavill, I’m not gonna miss you.

Let’s not dismiss Cavill like that already, especially when we haven’t even seen a frame of footage of Corenswet as Superman, because while you may not miss him, Cavill still has legions of fans from his take, and he’s going to be a tough act to follow.

Same here! I think the man perfectly embodied everything about the character, even if some of the material he was given was questionable. Ben Affleck was quite marvelous too.

I am a fan of Snyders trilogy though it was not perfect, I see it more as an Elseworld story.

Regarding the so called reboot I think the way things have gone with many of the DC films I think a total clean slate is needed across the board, I would recast everybody.

I am not convinced that superhero fatigue exists, though I think the audience is fed up with mediocre films which Marvel and DC have delivered by the bucket load recently.

Personally I would dump the whole extended universe thing and just concentrate on making a good movie, unfortunately studios are obsessed with the extended universe despite the fact its starting to fail..

That’s about where I’m at really. I really enjoyed MOS, BvS, and the Snyder Cut, but it’s hard to deny that they have flaws, and I’m looking forward to a more traditional take on these characters, which I don’t think we’ve been getting in the DCEU. Much like Bond, I think the characters are bigger than the actors who play them, and that’s how it should be in my opinion. I think Gunn knows that too many DCEU films haven’t respected the source material in ways that they should, and he also realizes that people are getting sick and tired of the same generic output from DC and Marvel, so I honestly think the brand is in great hands.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah, whatever, Cavill has already vanished from the rear view mirror as far as I’m concerned.

It’s not his fault. He was saddled with a director who didn’t understand Superman and a studio that didn’t know what to do with that property. But that’s all in the past now.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    We'll see whether they've learned from it. I'm not entirely convinced about the direction they're going in. It feels just as reactionary as anything else they've done in the last ten years.
  • Yeah, whatever, Cavill has already vanished from the rear view mirror as far as I’m concerned.

It’s not his fault. He was saddled with a director who didn’t understand Superman and a studio that didn’t know what to do with that property. But that’s all in the past now.

But you seem to have a whiff of negativity about the guy. I mean if you didn’t like the portrayal then more power to you, but if he really “vanished from the rear view mirror” for you, then why do you feel the need to make passive aggressive remarks about him? Especially when you kind of undermine your remarks in your next paragraph and put the blame on Snyder instead. Can’t you just be happy about the fact we’re getting a new Superman movie with a new cast WITHOUT putting down Cavill or Snyder?
    I’m happy to celebrate the dawn of a new era. I’m also happy kicking down a director’s vision to the curb. I’m a multitasker. ;)
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,084
    I’m happy to celebrate the dawn of a new era. I’m also happy kicking down a director’s vision to the curb. I’m a multitasker. ;)

But a lot of what you’ve said has been anti-Cavill and not anti-Snyder has it not?
    We'll see whether they've learned from it. I'm not entirely convinced about the direction they're going in. It feels just as reactionary as anything else they've done in the last ten years.

Can’t blame you there. I’ve been severely disappointed with how reactionary WB has been. For all we know, this new DCU could be an even bigger disaster knowing WB’s incompetence.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 8,026
    They’re the same thing as far as I’m concerned. That whole universe initiated by Snyder is tainted. A soft reboot with Cavill being directed by someone else was never going to change the fact that MOS and BVS still happened. Lex Luthor still let Mercy Graves die in an explosion he planted. Jimmy Olsen got shot in the head after being exposed as a CIA op.

I could probably roll with Peacemaker being it’s own thing since that’s just a TV series, but for the most part the Snyderverse is done.
    Can’t blame you there. I’ve been severely disappointed with how reactionary WB has been. For all we know, this new DCU could be an even bigger disaster knowing WB’s incompetence.

I’d be just as concerned, but with James Gunn involved I have waaaaaay more confidence in this than I ever felt in a Superman film since like ever. I actually don’t care about the DCU. My only concern now is this Superman project. The focus should just be on that for now.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,084
    They’re the same thing as far as I’m concerned. That whole universe initiated by Snyder is tainted. A soft reboot with Cavill being directed by someone else was never going to change the fact that MOS and BVS still happened. Lex Luthor still let Mercy Graves die in an explosion he planted. Jimmy Olsen got shot in the head after being exposed as a CIA op.

I could probably roll with Peacemaker being it’s own thing since that’s just a TV series, but for the most part the Snyderverse is done.

I’d be just as concerned, but with James Gunn involved I have waaaaaay more confidence in this than I ever felt in a Superman film since like ever. I actually don’t care about the DCU. My only concern now is this Superman project. The focus should just be on that for now.

Personally I try to separate the actors and their performances from the story making decisions made by Snyder, Terrio, Goyer and the rest of them, that’s why I think that both Cavill and Affleck shine despite the scripts. But fair enough on all of those story points because those annoyed me to no ends as well. I was just confused why you were putting that more on Cavill than Snyder, because I’m sure if Cavill had the chance to play a more traditional take, he would’ve leaped at that opportunity, and I do get the sense he sincerely loved the character, and the circumstances surrounding his “departure” are a huge shame. So I don’t disagree with you entirely. I just want a traditional DCU, one that won’t make the same story errors going forward. Something akin to the old Timmverse from the 90’s-2000’s, and I think Gunn will deliver.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought Cavill was, as he is in everything, fine. Not particularly bad, not particularly good. I'm not hugely bothered that they've moved on from him, I could survive if he had remained, but maybe it feels like settling for second-best slightly.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2023 Posts: 23,449
    Superpowered: The DC Story | Official Trailer | DC

Never cared for Alex Ross art 40s pastiche style.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yeah… sorry Cavill, I’m not gonna miss you.

Count me in as well. Cavill was an awesome Superman.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 15,842
    Sounds like DC has their new Man of Steel.
    Wow, that was fairly quick casting with what only seemed like a few months of speculation.
    We've had years and years of rumors on who might replace Craig as Bond, and probably several more laughable years of the same.

David Corenswet looks good. He's definitley the right age and certainly heroic.
    Thats said, it's been years since I've eagerly anticipated a new Superman movie, so i'm indifferent. Actually, it's doubtful I'll spend money to go see SUPERMAN: LEGACY.

Extremely unlikely.

However..............................put the iconic emblem back on his cape, and I'll go without hesitation.
    Even if LEGACY turns out to be a shot for shot remake of QUEST FOR PEACE.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is crazy... He called it 3 years ago.

• edited June 2023 Posts: 348
    Wow, the next Doctor Who is my age and the next Superman is younger than me (only by 7 months but still). That makes me feel old! 😆
    This is the first Superman I’m older than. He’s six years younger than me, whereas Henry Cavill is four years older than me. Either way, we’re all millennials. It doesn’t feel that dramatic age wise.

For me, the real kind blower will be when they inevitably cast a Bond that’s younger than me. All the Bonds have been significantly older than me, so I saw them all as actual grown ups to my younger self. I was only 18 when Craig was cast, so he was still very much a grown up compared to me.

I suspect we may see the biggest age gap between Bonds with Craig and whoever gets the next gig. Currently, Moore and Dalton are 19 years apart. Anyone younger than Craig by that many years would only be 36 right now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »

Ha! That's bizarre. I hope he put a bet on!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It occurred to me, it’s possible that Nicholas Hoult was never actually screntesting for the role of Superman/Clark Kent.; he may have already been cast as Lex Luthor and he may have been there to test screen chemistry with the two actual contenders. Weeks ago Gunn stated that one person had been cast; perhaps it was Hoult. 🤔
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 991
    talos7 wrote: »

Wow, that's interesting!

Waiting for him to call Bond 26.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 991
    I recently heard that WB is apparently planning not only James Gunn's DC Cinematic Universe, but to turn the Matt Reeves' Batman into a cinematic universe as their "Plan B" if the Gunnverse fails.
    Just watched the BB Final trailer, wow talk about giving away the entire movie.

---
    I recently heard that WB is apparently planning not only James Gunn's DC Cinematic Universe, but to turn the Matt Reeves' Batman into a cinematic universe as their "Plan B" if the Gunnverse fails.

WB should do a Snyderverse as well lol
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I don't think there's going to be any surprises in that film though: it looks like it was made by AI which was asked the question 'What would Spider Man (2002) look like if he was blue and had worse jokes?'.
    mtm wrote: »

I don't think there's going to be any surprises in that film though: it looks like it was made by AI which was asked the question 'What would Spider Man (2002) look like if he was blue and had worse jokes?'.

Reminds me of Ms Marvel though that borrowed heavily from Spiderman, Blue Beetle may have been better suited as a TV show.
    Superman Legacy Adds Three More Superheroes To Its Cast Including Nathan Fillion As Guy Gardner
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/superman-legacy-adds-three-more-superheroes-to-its-cast-including-nathan-fillion-as-guy-gardner/1100-6515874/
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 302
    Superman Legacy Adds Three More Superheroes To Its Cast Including Nathan Fillion As Guy Gardner
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/superman-legacy-adds-three-more-superheroes-to-its-cast-including-nathan-fillion-as-guy-gardner/1100-6515874/

So The Detachable Kid (from The Suicide Squad) became a Green Lantern in DC Universe :D
    There is NO WAY we are not getting an appearance by Mxy in one of these films by Gunn. That’s almost guaranteed.
    Gunn does tend to gravitate towards quirky characters.