The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

"And that's for 009!"
    The race to the circus is really well executed by Glen and his team!
    The bomb diffusing scene is really tense! Bond dressed as a clown just adds a little Fleming macabreness!!
    It is quite unbelievable how quickly 007 puts on the make up. A) cos he shouldn't have wasted so much time doing it, when a bomb was about to go off any minute, and B) I've done face painting, no way you can get it that perfect in such a short space of time!!🤣
    Octopussy and her girls kick ass!
    Rog sliding down the bannisters shooting a gun is as cool as Laz sliding on his belly doing same in OHMSS!
    Love Bond on horseback chasing the plane. Apparently very difficultl as horses hate the noise of the engine!
    Eat you heart out Tom Cruise! Great stuntwork
    "Go out and get him!!"🤣
    This should have been a great swansong for Rogers Bond. Sailing off into the sunset with Octopussy!
    Ah well.
    Glorious watch of 'Octopussy', on this Bank Holiday. Wonderful entertainment!
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 15,818
    Great write up, @Mathis1. OP never fails to entertain!
    Thanks mate. Yes, great enjoyment, and nostalgia wise, one of my favourite visits to the cinema!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I learned a few things there, thanks @Mathis1. Love the PTS - when the Acrostar leaves the horse trailer, the two soldiers in the jeep look at each other and the guy driving reminds me of a young Shaun Micallef. And how cool is that back projection shot of the hangar blowing up!

Yes, after Rog' slides down the bannister, he goes to pick up the rifle and realizes it's out of ammo. The way he handles that weapon in a few seconds like a pro.
    Thanks @QBranch, actually now you mention it, one of the soldiers whose parachute gets pulled, reminds me of Nigel Planer from 'The Young Ones' series! 😉
    I'm watching Octopussy while eating Indian curry!

One of the best PTSs - although I think we could've seen a bit more of the plane in flight after the explosion, as this last bit feels a little rushed.

Love the fictional Latin American country. I like the fictional locations in general: San Monique, Isthmus, Nambutu etc. Makes Bond's world feel a bit more exotic and expansive.

The girl in the title sequence tries really hard to smile. She'll get there, with practice.

When Mischka (or is that Grischka?) throws the knife next to 009's head, the guard on the bridge turns around to look, but then turns back! Nothing to see here! From that angle, he would've seen the twins for sure. The guard turns back around and continues to discuss with his comrade just how underpaid he is.

One guy at the auction can't stop looking at the camera. He does it at least twice, from behind the catalogue.

Vijay is wowed by the stacks of money on the tray, but when Bond hands a couple to him, he takes them as if they were already his.

When Bond is stabbed in the tuk tuk, the Bond theme plays. Wait, this is not a 'Bond Moment'! Maybe when Bond gets blown up in NTTD, the Bond theme should've kicked in.

After the tuk tuk flies over the camel and lands, we cut back to see the camel's low-key reaction, which is to merely turn its head from the front to the right. All in a day's work for a camel.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I'm watching Octopussy while eating Indian curry!

One of the best PTSs - although I think we could've seen a bit more of the plane in flight after the explosion, as this last bit feels a little rushed.

Love the fictional Latin American country. I like the fictional locations in general: San Monique, Isthmus, Nambutu etc. Makes Bond's world feel a bit more exotic and expansive.

The girl in the title sequence tries really hard to smile. She'll get there, with practice.

When Mischka (or is that Grischka?) throws the knife next to 009's head, the guard on the bridge turns around to look, but then turns back! Nothing to see here! From that angle, he would've seen the twins for sure. The guard turns back around and continues to discuss with his comrade just how underpaid he is.

One guy at the auction can't stop looking at the camera. He does it at least twice, from behind the catalogue.

Vijay is wowed by the stacks of money on the tray, but when Bond hands a couple to him, he takes them as if they were already his.

When Bond is stabbed in the tuk tuk, the Bond theme plays. Wait, this is not a 'Bond Moment'! Maybe when Bond gets blown up in NTTD, the Bond theme should've kicked in.

After the tuk tuk flies over the camel and lands, we cut back to see the camel's low-key reaction, which is to merely turn its head from the front to the right. All in a day's work for a camel.

Haha! :D :D :D

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »

When the guard at the airbase shouts down the radio "And he's wearing a red shirt!!!!" It got a massive laugh from the audience when I first saw it at the cinema 😁
    Mathis1 wrote: »

When the guard at the airbase shouts down the radio "And he's wearing a red shirt!!!!" It got a massive laugh from the audience when I first saw it at the cinema 😁

Yes, same, I wonder was it originally scripted? Great line!
    Meant to mention in my comments the legendary stuntman Dickie Graydon, who plays Francisco the Fearless! Graydons one of the regular Bond stuntmen of old, John Glen speaks warmly about him in his book! Sounds quite a character!
    edited June 2023 Posts: 13,933
    Continuing on with my OP viewing (watching it in parts over a few weekends)

Bond: "Vijay - the money I gave you."
    Vijay (thinking): "There goes my new tennis shoes."

Gobinda and his men lose Bond, but don't think to ask the only possible witness - some guy sitting right next to the hidden entrance to Q-Branch.

A local puts a garland of marigold flowers over Bond's head. Soon after, Bond puts it over Q's head, who promptly passes it on to Vijay. Vijay puts it over lab assistant Karen's head. Karen returns with Bond's jacket and the garland is gone! That prop sure gets around.

Q lab assistant seated in the background stares at the camera while waiting for his cue to look busy.

Bond gets nauseous from the sheep's head and looks away. Hard zoom to Gobinda's eyes also avoiding the sight of said sheep's head.

Bond dissolves the window bars with his acid pen. Hadn't crossed my mind until now, where a similar moment happens in the other 1983 Bond film: escaping from Largo's prison cell at the North African fort.

You can feel Kamal's heartbreak when Orlov smashes the genuine egg. Louis Jourdan is a joy to watch.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,347
    I have almost given up on modern cinema there is so much mediocre stuff. So I am going to watch one of my favorite Bond films Moonraker.

I still find the sky diving sequence exhilarating, incredible stunt and photography.

Roger is in good form in this film, this film always feels big in scope.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bond getting his wrist activated dart gun, which reminds me that Bond does not use his PPK at all in this film.
    Corrine :x
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,347
    Great blending of models, mat painting's and aerial photography during the trip to Drax's residence.
    Drax is top tier villain.
    This film must have the most stunning women in the entire series.
    Easily one of the most visually stunning films, the sets are phenomenal.
    'Look after Mr Bond, see that some harm comes to him'. classic line.
    The dynamic between Bond and Goodhead is often hilarious.
    Roger Moore really does sell the centrifuge sequence, you believe Bond is in trouble.
    JB's ominous score is fantastic.
    Chang looks incredibly disappointed that Bond survives.