Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Neither have I. Apparently, they are hard to find, and quite expensive.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Life is hard. Or expensive.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Gregory-Peck-Cape-Fear-Robert-Mitchum-J.jpg

CAPE FEAR (1962)

It's the original, the one I still prefer despite Scorsese doing a great job recreating the tension three decades later. J. Lee Thompson directed this movie which was initially going to be a Hitchcock film. The Bernard Herrmann score, along with a chilling Mitchum and an energetic Peck, make this film worth every viewing I can give it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    DarthDimi wrote: »

CAPE FEAR (1962)

It's the original, the one I still prefer despite Scorsese doing a great job recreating the tension three decades later. J. Lee Thompson directed this movie which was initially going to be a Hitchcock film. The Bernard Herrmann score, along with a chilling Mitchum and an energetic Peck, make this film worth every viewing I can give it.

Agreed. A chilling film, with an incredible performance from Mitcham.

I thought the remake was risible. Nothing but a glorified slasher film.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

CAPE FEAR (1962)

It's been years since I watched it, and the same goes for the remake. But I do think I preferred the original, although I don't think the remake was bad in any way. I guess I'll have to give both of the a rewatch.

CAPE FEAR (1962)

Totally agree mate. Hated the remake. Mitchum is superb, and far more threatening than DeNiro biting lumps out of people!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

CAPE FEAR (1962)

I feel that by changing the ending, Scorcese totally missed the message that the original film had. Which still surprises me, considering he's rarely put a foot wrong when it comes to character.

But then again, I don't think even he likes his version very much.

CAPE FEAR (1962)

I feel that by changing the ending, Scorcese totally missed the message that the original film had. Which still surprises me, considering he's rarely put a foot wrong when it comes to character.

But then again, I don't think even he likes his version very much.

If I recall, it was Spielberg pressured him to do something more commercial, and Scorcese was very reluctant to take on the film!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I feel that by changing the ending, Scorcese totally missed the message that the original film had.

Can you please elaborate?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll have to add that to the list. Mitchum is incredible and I'm sure he kills it in the role. I've only seen Scorsese's remake.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I find both Cape Fears equally good. I have this DVD set:

https://gumtreeau-res.cloudinary.com/image/private/t_$_58/gumtree/fd735981-d537-4a7f-8b64-20fab695cd8a.jpg

The original is worth watching just to hear Mitchum call out, "Hey, buster!".
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am a big fan of Scorcese's Cape Fear a great homage to Hitchcock.
    I love both versions as well.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Rewatched the Superman 5 film 4K Steelbook set I bought several times in the past few weeks. The restored films looks phenomenal....

3000 Years of Longing, which was 2999 years too long.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »

CAPE FEAR (1962)

Totally agree mate. Hated the remake. Mitchum is superb, and far more threatening than DeNiro biting lumps out of people!

Yep. I love De Niro, but in this he's character is laughably OTT and ridiculous.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Neither have I. Apparently, they are hard to find, and quite expensive.

i believe my blu player came region free or easy to make it region free , a Phillips and it wasnt expensive
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant

It is a pretty decent military action flick. Wouldnt look out of place as a few levels of Modern Warfare though 😅
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited June 2023 Posts: 3,390
    Bullet Train

Comedy outside it's a serious action movie inside, it's a good film overall, although I'm not taken by those make fun violence kind of thing in there, and I'm not sold on Michael Shannon as the villain, just not fitting, he looked more like a Rockstar than a Japanese villain! 😅

And here's the thing: Aaron Taylor Johnson, a Bond #7 contender, I liked his acting in here, he had the swagger I guess, and I liked him to be in a Bond film, but! Not as Bond! I repeat, not as Bond.

Watching him here, his performance as Tangerine, one thing that comes to my mind is the guy that could play a villain, but his humor just wasn't enough, and as of now, I realized that there's a character that can fit him.

Read:
    Bill Tanner! Yes! Aaron Taylor Johnson could play Bill Tanner, although there's that serious aspect in him, he could still play a buddy type kind of character, if he's an American, he'd be perfect as Felix Leiter, but since he's British, it's Tanner whom I'd liked him to play, I mean he could make it closer to the books, the way Tanner acted like in the books, badass as a guy yet a friendly one.

I'm casting my vote for Aaron Taylor Johnson as Fleming's version of Bill Tanner!

There are two character where I could see Aaron Taylor Johnson: Felix Leiter and Bill Tanner.
    WE WHO ARE YOUNG from 1940.

We_Who_Are_Young-502656615-large.jpg

Similar to MARRIAGE IS A PRIVATE AFFAIR about young newlyweds. This hit the spot for me and my Lana Turner obsession. Very light weight drama.

MV5BZDk4ZTAzMmQtMjkyYi00ZTVhLTgxNmQtNWYwM2I5ZTg2YjA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Needless to day it was cute and I loved it.

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Trouble is, I don't have a region-free BD player.

You can find modified all-region Blu-Ray players on Ebay and 220-electronics. Many go for reasonable prices.

In the days of DVD you could modify players by entering a code, but most modern Blu-Ray players now require more detailed reprogramming. My old Seiki BR player is an exception, but it's no longer in production. I've bought a spare player from 220 Electronics and had no problems.
    The Duke. A nod to Dr. No at the end.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    CrabKey wrote: »
    The Duke. A nod to Dr. No at the end.

Trivia
    EON productions, who are the producers of the official James Bond film series are notoriously protective of their property and rarely give permission for clips to be used in other studio's movies for fear of the clips being misused or lampooned. In this case Dame Helen Mirren and director Roger Michell personally asked the Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson for permission to use the Scene from Dr No (1962) and promised the scene would be used in context and not adulterated in any way. A small fee was paid (which was donated to charity) and Broccoli and Wilson were allowed to view the finished film with the promise of that if they didn't like how the scene was used then it would be removed before release. Fortunately they had no complaints.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 23,337
    00001.mpls_snapshot_01.04.17.552.png
    Mission Impossible 4K

I am rewatching the 4K Steelbook's I have of the series in preparation for the release of Dead Reckoning Part 1. The first is outstanding still my favorite, there are shots in this film that are better than entire movies the genius of De Palma. Fall Out is not far behind in second place.
    Revelator wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Trouble is, I don't have a region-free BD player.

You can find modified all-region Blu-Ray players on Ebay and 220-electronics. Many go for reasonable prices.

In the days of DVD you could modify players by entering a code, but most modern Blu-Ray players now require more detailed reprogramming. My old Seiki BR player is an exception, but it's no longer in production. I've bought a spare player from 220 Electronics and had no problems.

Thanks, but yes, I know. It's just that I'm not ready to pay more than twice as much for a run-of-the-mill Sony BD player that someone tampered with, especially if that company is registered in the U.S. and I won't be likely to be able to claim (from Germany) any guarantee if something goes wrong. Plus I don't know what additional customs charges would arise if I order from the U.S. The least I'll have to pay is another 19 percent of the price as import VAT, and I'm sure the shipping costs will also be in the vicinity of what I paid for my (Region B only) Sony player three years ago. That is, 80-some euros. And it works better than my first BD player from 2010, a Pioneer that cost eight times as much.
    Mission Impossible 4K

I am rewatching the 4K Steelbook's I have of the series in preparation for the release of Dead Reckoning Part 1. The first is outstanding still my favorite, there are shots in this film that are better than entire movies the genius of De Palma. Fall Out is not far behind in second place.

Thanks for the reminder, I really need to do the same before Dead Reckoning Part 1 is out because I'll definitely be there opening day for it. It's still odd to me that it's releasing on a Tuesday.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Mission Impossible 4K

Thanks for the reminder, I really need to do the same before Dead Reckoning Part 1 is out because I'll definitely be there opening day for it. It's still odd to me that it's releasing on a Tuesday.

I know little of Dead Reckoning I stayed away from trailers etc as much as possible, I have avoided all the TV spots. Not sure exactly when its released here though will check local cinema times leading up.

Such great films they are up there with revisiting Bond.
    Purely from an action perspective, they've been crushing it in ways Bond hasn't lately. It even goes beyond Cruise actually doing his own stunts; the action is so frenetic and jaw-dropping and well shot, I almost can't believe what they manage to come up with in each new installment. Bond hasn't really blown my mind in that department, past maybe the one shot during NTTD's finale, since QoS.
    Purely from an action perspective, they've been crushing it in ways Bond hasn't lately. It even goes beyond Cruise actually doing his own stunts; the action is so frenetic and jaw-dropping and well shot, I almost can't believe what they manage to come up with in each new installment. Bond hasn't really blown my mind in that department, past maybe the one shot during NTTD's finale, since QoS.

Totally agree, though I did like the pre title sequence in NTTD and the stair well scene. Though beyond QoS Mission Impossible has been way ahead in action and story for me, I am not a fan of the direction they took with SF and SP too much melodrama and sloppy hokey writing.

Totally agree, though I did like the pre title sequence in NTTD and the stair well scene. Though beyond QoS Mission Impossible has been way ahead in action and story for me, I am not a fan of the direction they took with SF and SP too much melodrama and sloppy hokey writing.

The PTS of NTTD is very enjoyable, I only ruined it because I felt like the hottest moments from it were spoiled in the marketing. There's reason #1,000 I should stop watching trailers before checking out films, but I'm too impatient and lack self-control. Seeing Bond escape the bridge by grabbing the wire and launching himself off would've been jaw-dropping for me to see for the first time in cinemas.