Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Joke or commentary….?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I read that tweet as sarcasm rather than a genuine thought on what he thinks will go down with BOND 26. He’s always had a dry sense of humor, or at least that’s how he’s always struck me.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Imagine if Craig came back back for Bond 26 haha, I thought they'd paint themselves into a corner with Spectre's ending

I don't know him, but I think Bill was just messing around
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I knew Safin had an invisible bomb shelter on that roof...
  • peterpeter Toronto

I read that tweet as sarcasm rather than a genuine thought on what he thinks will go down with BOND 26. He’s always had a dry sense of humor, or at least that’s how he’s always struck me.

I dunno, I’m biased, but he seems to bitch about BB and Craig on podcasts and on his own blog. If it is humour, it’s become humourless when that’s his one-note joke. It’s been repeated, seemingly, any chance he gets. I find myself listening to him and rolling my eyeballs.

But, I don’t know the guy, I don’t know what’s running through his head, and so it could just be me, and I may be sensing a bitterness about him that I’m imagining.

There’s something I do find quite off-putting about him.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA

Jordo007 wrote: »
    Imagine if Craig came back back for Bond 26 haha, I thought they'd paint themselves into a corner with Spectre's ending

I don't know him, but I think Bill was just messing around

"Somehow Bond returned."
    EM-aYgvU0AAaXQH.jpg
    Craig coming back to Bond? Is it even possible? We never saw the body, did we? We saw big explosions and it appeared that he was atomised in the blast, but what if (miraculously), the floor beneath him gave out and he fell directly into Safins bomb proof pod and he was actually.......😂😂😂
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 6,665
    I’d rather slash my wrists.

And not because of Craig, but because that would surely mean the scooby gang and soap opera ethos would be back.
    peter wrote: »

I dunno, I’m biased, but he seems to bitch about BB and Craig on podcasts and on his own blog. If it is humour, it’s become humourless when that’s his one-note joke. It’s been repeated, seemingly, any chance he gets. I find myself listening to him and rolling my eyeballs.

But, I don’t know the guy, I don’t know what’s running through his head, and so it could just be me, and I may be sensing a bitterness about him that I’m imagining.

He has a tendency to be very nitpicky even over things he actually likes, which originally gave me an initial impression of him being negative. I was actually surprised that he gave NTTD an A- grade, because it seemed like he had more complaints than compliments but I guess that’s how he expresses himself.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    edited March 2023 Posts: 203
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I'll just post this .... without comment.

I can believe it, truth be told. There’s a couple of ways to do it, and it ties with Bond in the books ‘dying’ as well. It may even have been lightly planned — hence no contradiction in ‘James Bond’ will return. I am also in mind of the Tv series Doc Martin which had a down ‘ending’ until they got pressured and funded into coming back.
    Let’s not forget that literary Bond was thumping around into his fifties and sixties anyway. If they wanted to they could squeeze one more out.
    And if we aren’t getting Cavill, most of the runners I find a bit naff, and would probably rather see an epilogue for Craig, and reinvention as the aging spy, family man, and how the hell he got out of this pickle when he washed up in Japan would a bit of a reinvention. I suppose.

And he was wheeled out again for the Omega launch recently… maybe he’s down, but not as out as we think.
    I mean, we see Bond literally struck by missiles. I think they made a very conscious decision to make sure his death was indisputable. To walk back on that and claim he survived would be nothing more than an act of cowardice.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 6,665
    Craig is not the sort of person to make that send off we saw in the documentary, and then come back. He was very emotional and I think he had his closure. I would ad that he’s not the sort of person to be swooned over a paycheck in this particular situation. So all of this is just moot discussion, IMO.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,419

I won't speak for Peter but I think mine and his reaction is more about the tweet being taken seriously in this forum thread. It is indeed a poor attempt at humor, please let's not take the prospect of Craig returning seriously.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    I mean, we see Bond literally struck by missiles. I think they made a very conscious decision to make sure his death was indisputable. To walk back on that and claim he survived would be nothing more than an act of cowardice.
    Univex wrote: »
    Craig is not the sort of person to make that send off we saw in the documentary, and then come back. He was very emotional and I think he had his closure. I would ad that he’s not the sort of person to be swooned over a paycheck in this particular situation. So all of this is just moot discussion, IMO.

Yeah, I don’t *think* he will be back, but I can see how it would happen.

Especially as we *didn’t* see Bond literally struck by missiles. Near enough, mind you. But you know, maybe he went plop down into the water, and since he already had nanobots he didn’t have to worry about what was in the water. Other Bondian Science-Fact explanations are available. XD

I think the YOLT setting borrow gives *just enough* wiggle room if they really really really wanted an Amnesiac Bond Identity next time out for an epilogue. Treatment for burns could even cover a recast, but there would be no point in keeping it in the Craig continuity, and the story has an ending.

Basically, I can see it, I can see it being made to work… but… should they all do it? Probably not. I think it works perfectly as is, and an epilogue would run the risk of undoing that for the sake of a happy ending. I imagine they might look at the response and gauge whether it would benefit the franchise though…
  • peterpeter Toronto
    LucknFate wrote: »

I won't speak for Peter but I think mine and his reaction is more about the tweet being taken seriously in this forum thread. It is indeed a poor attempt at humor, please let's not take the prospect of Craig returning seriously.

Bingo @LucknFate
    Money *does* talk xP but seriously it would be ridiculous at this point for a variety of reasons. It’d have to be done in a very unique and unexpected way to work, like if it was a vignette-styled movie chronicling the five years between Matera and Jamaica.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Money *does* talk xP but seriously it would be ridiculous at this point for a variety of reasons. It’d have to be done in a very unique and unexpected way to work, like if it was a vignette-styled movie chronicling the five years between Matera and Jamaica.

Would people take the black and white 50s-set Moonraker one-off that's been pitched ad nauseam if it was Craig in the role?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If they finally had the balls to kill off Bond, just to have Craig return somehow, that'd be even worse. Time to move on with a new actor and a new approach.

...having said that, if they managed some one-off of an accurate MR adaptation like that, I'd be all in. I'd kill to see all the novels get the same treatment.
    Yes. Direct sequel to NTTD should be out of the question. And preferably a new actor / start altogether. But I could at least be openminded to a NTTD prequel or alternative universe Craig one-off I suppose.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Dan coming back after NTTD wouldn't just jump the shark, it'd pole vault the Meg.
    Craig's my favourite Bond, but it's a hard no from me. We've had Dan's run, let's move on I reckon.
    DC is 55 years old. Not that he couldn't play Bond again, but he shouldn't. Not that I believe for a second there is any consideration of this by anyone involved with the series. His time is up, as was Connery's and Moore's. Time for a clean break with all previous Bonds and storylines. No more SPECTRE, Vesper, and Tracy. Nor do I want to see a young Bond learning to become a double O. Start fresh with a pulse pounding PTS and keep it going. It should be brash and brazen, announcing 'this is the new Bond.'

When the new Bond does arrive, I would love to see a thread that asks if our ideas about actors, titles, and storylines were accurate in the years prior to the film.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,969
    Honestly I think I could stomach Craig returning for another film just so that they could retcon that stupid ending out of existence. Have it turn out to be a new form of holographic technology Q was trying out and bond really escaped off the island to spend his life with madeline, until one of Safins disciples tracks him down. 90 minute movie to wrap things up properly this time.

It's absolutely bananas to me that EON had 2+ years to get Bond 26 off the ground and now they are likely to hit another road bump, and possibly delay the movie until 2027. This is exactly the same thing that happened with Bond 25, they delayed and delayed and delayed and suddenly BOOM - pandemic. It they can't get a solid outline down on paper by May (which seems doubtful), then this production is going nowhere for the foreseeable future. It makes you wonder whether Babs and Micheal are even making plans for another film, or are they looking to sell their stake in the franchise. Micheal is in his 80's and Babs seems interested in creating a legacy for herself outside of Bond with other projects. Something is definitely awry about this whole situation and I'll certain we'll be in for some shocking revelations in the coming months...

Is it possible that in a act of desperation they revert back to the trusted hand of Martin Campbell to sail them through some testy waters? I absolutely love the man and his contribution to the franchise, plus his work in recent shows he still has his ability. If an 80 year old can be president, why not a Bond director, right? Campbell seems to get bond on a deep level, and I think being of the generation that would have grown up with the books originally has something to do with that. Maybe we should cherish what we still have before it's gone and we have to rely on directors with manbuns and translucent glass frames who skim through a few chapters of CR and say "wouldn't it be cool if bond did THIS..."

I have to admit, even though he's not my first choice, the stars do appear to be aligning hard for Nolan right now. The coincidences are becoming spooky, like it's written in the stars that he will direct Bond 26 somehow. Firstly the scheduling seems to line up perfectly. Nolans OPPENHIEMER premiers in July of this year, he typically takes 3 years per film, which means his next film should release around July 2026, pretty much exactly where we can expect Bond to be targeting at this rate. Also its true that Nolan said years ago that he had a definitive plan for Bond that he has been thinking about "since he was a boy" but that he couldn't do it unless it was a complete "reinvention", which just happens to be the exact phrase that barbara has been using in interviews for months now, that they are looking for someone to help "reinvent" the character. Then there is the matter of Nolan not having played around with a franchise since Batman, and if OPPENHIEMER is the critical darling that everyone is expecting it to be (I'd be very surprised if Nolan and Murphy aren't at least nominated), it's quite possible that he would looking for something less serious to unwind and have fun with, which Bond fits perfectly for. Also, consider that the Bond films have been getting more costly and grandiose in recent years, and the pool of directs who have a track record of success in that arena is exceedingly small. Nolan would be a snatch for EON, simply the branding of his name along side the 007 logo on the poster would instantly guarantee a 300 million domestic haul in the US, and 150 million in the UK. The stars really are aligned for Nolan to become Bonds golden child in the near future.

But I remain steadfast in my believe that EON should DOWNSIZE and hire a somewhat quirky British director like Edgar Wright, who is distinctive without being "artsy" and deliver a solid, meat and potatoes Bond mission, a palette cleanser, breezy film in the old style, with all the bells and whistle, and a bit of the old humour amd charm thrown in. So much of Bond iconic stature has fallen into disrepair since the 2000's, revive those elements again for a new generation and the theatres will literally be shaking from the applause and hollering of fans young and old.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I know this isn't the thread for that but @Mendes4Lyfe kind of got to me right now. If Nolan does indeed get the director's chair and they at least take his input on casting, does that mean Tom Hardy's odds are suddenly sky-rocketing out of the basement they should realistically be in? He's Nolan's guy. He's a huge name. I don't know how these timetables work, but I don't think it's inconceivable he'd be done with Venom 3 soon enough to get into a Bond film.
    Which then leads to another question: What would your reaction be, if at some point this year the announcement was made: Christopher Nolan will direct Tom Hardy as James Bond. Both of them are contracted to do one film.
    I know this isn't the thread for that but @Mendes4Lyfe kind of got to me right now. If Nolan does indeed get the director's chair and they at least take his input on casting, does that mean Tom Hardy's odds are suddenly sky-rocketing out of the basement they should realistically be in? He's Nolan's guy. He's a huge name. I don't know how these timetables work, but I don't think it's inconceivable he'd be done with Venom 3 soon enough to get into a Bond film.
    Which then leads to another question: What would your reaction be, if at some point this year the announcement was made: Christopher Nolan will direct Tom Hardy as James Bond. Both of them are contracted to do one film.

I was about to shoot down this idea, since Tom Hardy is basically 50 and would have no longevity in the role, but if it was a 1 film arc, like a 3 hour epic and they just hand over as much creative control to Nolan as possible knowing they will scrub everything, then perhaps it could work...

I'm kinda convinced that if it IS Nolan, and the rumours ATJ meeting with EON were true (and they went well), then it's almost CERTAIN he is the next Bond, because it would please all parties. Nolan is at the level now where he won't just accept any actor being thrown his way without any input (WB begged Nolan to hire Dicaprio as the riddler for Rises for instance, he refused them), and I get the feeling like babs is keen on ATJ, because he has a lot of same qualities as Craig, which is clearly her vision of Bond, but is different ENOUGH to not come off like a clone, or craig 2.0, and ATJ worked with Nolan on TENET who has shown great loyalty to his actors in the past. I think it could be a bit like he situation with Craig "hiring" mendes for Skyfall but in reverse, the director putting in a good word for the actor, and being the tiebreaker which ultimately solidifies the direction they take.

ofcourse this is just my personal speculation, but that's all we can do at this stage, and possibly for some time to come...
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 2023 Posts: 539
    Although I doubt the validity of the Nolan rumours, it would seem strange for Eon to not consider him. He's a hugely acclaimed director and lifelong Bond fan whose terms of involvement happen to be exactly the position they're in now. If they're going to do a Nolan Bond film, then now would seem to be the obvious time. Who knows if Nolan will still be making films by the time Bond #8 is making his debut? Or if there'll even be a Bond #8 of course.

But personally, I believe Babs and Mike when they say they haven't made any progress. I think if we're lucky we'll get a release date by the end of the year.
    Although I doubt the validity of the Nolan rumours, it would seem strange for Eon to not consider him. He's a hugely acclaimed director and lifelong Bond fan whose terms of involvement happen to be exactly the position they're in now. If they're going to do a Nolan Bond film, then now would seem to be the obvious time. Who knows if Nolan will still be making films by the time Bond #8 is making his debut? Or if there'll even be a Bond #8 of course.

But personally, I believe Babs and Mike when they say they haven't made any progress. I think if we're lucky we'll get a release date by the end of the year.

If there's a writers strike we might not have any updates until next year. They can hardly move forward without a single word on the page, I think they learned their lesson from quantum.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring

If there's a writers strike we might not have any updates until next year. They can hardly move forward without a single word on the page, I think they learned their lesson from quantum.

Quite right.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    There is a Bond video game in development, isn’t there? I wonder if they are hoping that it will up Bond’s profile with the younger generation. Would they delay a new film until after the game has hit?
    There is a Bond video game in development, isn’t there? I wonder if they are hoping that it will up Bond’s profile with the younger generation. Would they delay a new film until after the game has hit?

I don't know about any of that, but I do know that the new hogwarts legacy game has revitalised interest in the Harry Potter franchise, and they actually found that sales of the books increased in the wake of the games release, so its possible (if the game is good, that is).
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    The video game is a bit tricky, I think. You're not wrong that a high profile Bond release in a different medium would be a tide that lifts all boats. On the other hand IOI - the game's developer - has stated that they got the go-ahead from Eon and MGM to create their own Bond and that it's going to be an Origin story of some sort. Which then begs the question, is it just going to be additive or would the two projects cannibalize each other? Wouldn't there be general confusion if f.e. an actor for the films is announced, then the game comes out and the model looks and sounds totally different from whoever is in the film and then the film comes out and it's just a completely different story with a totally different tone. At the end of the day, if you are going to release in two different mediums, that's just what happens, but I wonder whether they are in talks with IOI about this or they are just largely let loose to develop and release the game as they see fit.
    (A possible middle ground would be to include a model of the film actor in the game as additional content. We've long speculated whether the first six Bonds will be in the game. I think that's rather unlikely due to rights issues, but a deal could easily be struck with the current actor).