Where does Bond go after Craig?

1241242244246247590

Comments

  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 9,102
    Oh wow, @LucknFate !! That’s cool and yes, I remember Gawker and the entire Hulk Hogan thing!! That would have been interesting times to work there.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,567
    peter wrote: »
    Oh wow, @LucknFate !! That’s cool and yes, I remember Gawker and the entire Hulk Hogan thing!! That would have been interesting times to work there.

    I was very fortunate to be as insulated as possible from that mess. That case crushed a lot of egos. I won't lie, some may have had it coming. But I miss what we had before the suit, it was a fun place to work. Gawker was sold off separately, the rest of the sites acquired by Univision at the time, so I've also worked for them.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 9,102
    I could definitely see such a high profile lawsuit crushing egos — and, as you say, some may’ve had it coming.

    From the outside looking in, it appeared to be a wild place to work.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,567
    peter wrote: »
    I could definitely see such a high profile lawsuit crushing egos — and, as you say, some may’ve had it coming.

    From the outside looking in, it appeared to be a wild place to work.

    Kombucha fountain, mid-day drag shows, riding e-scooters through the offices, it was one of those places for sure. I really think it would have been a "new type of [new york] media company" if it'd survived. Maybe it belonged on the West Coast.

    I now am technically employed by Warner Brothers Discovery but please don't ask me about anything film-related, I haven't a clue.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 9,102
    That really does sound wild.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Posts: 3,489
    I've just realized that the Craig Era leaned too much on damaged Bond Girls, I think it's one of the aspects why his tone was also dour and serious.

    The 'Bird With A Wing Down' aspect has been overused in the Craig Era (with an exception of Paloma or maybe Strawberry Fields), all of Craig's Bond Girls had that sort of inner heavy baggage in them, they're burden.

    I understand Vesper, but the rest, like Camille, Severine, Lucia Sciarra and Madeleine Swann, they're all very dour to watch because all of them were tragic, could we rest from that?

    I'd liked to see Bond Girls with sense of humor and fun, and witty as Bond himself.

    That's why it's a breathe of fresh air to see someone like Paloma, just playful and fun, a woman with no problems and not complicated.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,969
    Check your PM’s @SIS_HQ
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Posts: 3,489
    Benny wrote: »
    Check your PM’s @SIS_HQ

    Just checked it now @Benny thanks for the greetings! 😊 Even though I can't seem to remember when was the specific date I've joined here (still trying to find it), I'm still happy that there's one member in this community that still remember it.....Thank you 😊
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Posts: 571
    peter wrote: »
    @talos7 .. I said the same thing a few weeks back, but;

    The release date for Oppenheimer is July 21.

    By that time, we could be in the midst of a full on writers strike (May 1is when the contract expires). The last strike lasted one hundred days.

    If something isnt agreed upon by May 1, the prediction is this will be the longest and nastiest strike to date. Why? Because streaming has changed everything:

    1/now more than ever, producers want content, content and more content, but writers are spread thin and writing rooms have been cut significantly, which means the writers are pumping out more episodes for less money.
    2/because feature films have been going direct to streaming, producers have been hiring writers to create features but, have been paying them under the definition of “tv movie”— which is a difference to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Which means;
    3/the reps for the writers and the reps for the producers are going to have to come together to properly define what is now a TV movie and what is a feature that went straight to streaming (kind of like the argument: I don’t know how to define porn, but I know it when I see it. See how this, alone, will create chaos), and;
    4/they’ll have to agree on what the fees are for each.

    IF these points and others, aren’t resolved by May 1, this is going to be long and ugly and will likely last far longer than the 100 days we saw back in ‘07 (which cost the industry 1.5 to 2 billion). This is not good.

    Which is my long winded way of saying: I don’t think EoN is waiting for Nolan to at least get a script going.

    There’s something bigger going on.

    Bigger than Nolan? Or the strike is bigger than EON?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Posts: 1,351
    I don't want to speak for others, but I think peter means there's something bigger than just EON waiting for Nolan to finish Oppenheimer. Due to the possible strike he describes, there are potentially very serious hurdles in the way of B26 if they don't move now (when aren't there?), which means they have to have a very good reason - something bigger - to seemingly be going nowhere in a hurry.
    I have no inside knowledge and kind of bank on peter to correct me, but if they had at least a treatment or an outline or maybe even a first draft they could go on with other parts of development - most importantly casting, but also location scouting and design and stuff like that - while a strike is going on. If they have nothing because they are waiting for a director to free up - especially if that director will insist on fundamentally rewriting whatever script they have - they are potentially hamstringing themselves because then nothing can get done that is in any way dependend on script - which is almost everything.

    The distinction I wonder about is: Are BB and MGW in the WGA and at what point does their development work as producers ("We want this film to be funny") turn into writing? I don't expect them to write a screenplay, but could they go so far as to lock in locations and general roles (Bond, a Bond woman, a villain, M, Q, Moneypenny) f.e., get started on that and then "just" have a screenwriter write dialogue around this once the strike is over? That would again mean we won't see any of the current crop of high-level auteur writer-directors, mind.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,102
    Typically they'll have a draft at hand and begin to conform it to however they want. I'm pretty sure they have one right at this moment, but they'll tell the press there's no work done in order to get them off their backs. There has ALWAYS been drafts in development since DR. NO, even during the big gaps there were drafts always being worked on.

    What really matters at this point is hiring a director to start bringing things together and then selecting an actor.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2023 Posts: 6,115
    Honestly, I think BB and MGW are giving themselves a break. It's hard to come up with something new after 25 go-'rounds.

    I hope they are going back to Fleming, like they usually do with a new Bond actor. Fleming, and Eon's interpretation of Fleming, and yes, the "special event" quality of every Bond film, is what distinguishes Bond from everything else.
  • Posts: 6,690
    I think in a world in which we have the brilliancy of John Wick and Mission Impossible films, James Bond has a new chance of securing itself has a different kind of escapism. If they need the quality that a Chris Nolan production brings, then I say get him, because the other franchises are killing it right now. They dominate where Bond should.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Posts: 1,662
    Univex wrote: »
    I think in a world in which we have the brilliancy of John Wick and Mission Impossible films, James Bond has a new chance of securing itself has a different kind of escapism. If they need the quality that a Chris Nolan production brings, then I say get him, because the other franchises are killing it right now. They dominate where Bond should.

    I couldn't agree more.
  • Posts: 1,583
    Univex wrote: »
    I think in a world in which we have the brilliancy of John Wick and Mission Impossible films, James Bond has a new chance of securing itself has a different kind of escapism. If they need the quality that a Chris Nolan production brings, then I say get him, because the other franchises are killing it right now. They dominate where Bond should.

    You sure got that right.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,102
    Ironically, John Wick was heavily influenced by SKYFALL. There’s a sequence in CHAPTER 2 that feels like a big riff on the Shanghai skyscraper scene.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Posts: 2,712
    I'll just post this .... without comment.
  • Posts: 12,369
    JFC. I love Craig and most of his Bond movies, but I’m so over it. It’s time to turn the page.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,102
    My sweet summer child. It’s clearly 2027.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Posts: 1,567
    Let's be serious. Craig is dead in the water, almost literally. That's not a source or anything, that's just nonsense.
  • Posts: 15,954
    My sweet summer child. It’s clearly 2027.

    Nope, I think it will be 2035 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of SPECTRE and the Madeleine story arc.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 8,116
    Daniel Craig returns as Ian Fleming’s James Bond in ,
    “Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust”
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,340
    Bond 26 title reveal.
    Names is for Tombstones Baby
  • Posts: 2,161
    Murdock wrote: »
    Bond 26 title reveal.
    Names is for Tombstones Baby

    That would please me to no end.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Posts: 3,489
    talos7 wrote: »
    Daniel Craig returns as Ian Fleming’s James Bond in ,
    “Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust”

    Fun to funky, we know James Bond's a junky.....
  • Posts: 12,369
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Daniel Craig returns as Ian Fleming’s James Bond in ,
    “Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust”

    Fun to funky, we know James Bond's a junky.....

    Man. I want a David Bowie Bond song so much :(
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,102
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    My sweet summer child. It’s clearly 2027.

    Nope, I think it will be 2035 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of SPECTRE and the Madeleine story arc.

    Why not 2042? Celebrate the death of Bond and the squirming of pearl clutching fans!
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Posts: 1,351
    I respect Bill, but that just doesn't make any kind of sense. 10 years ago, if Bond had died at the end of Skyfall and then they said: You know what, the next few films are just going to be set in between QoS and Skyfall indefinitely. Maybe. But the way Craig has approached all of this, the way NTTD sets it all up, that is the full stop to end all full stops. Craig is over.
    I do wonder if they ever talked to him about staying on as a producer. I wouldn't like that either, but that's about the extent of any future cooperation I could stomach.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 2023 Posts: 9,102
    That's one of the silliest things yet.

    From what I've read, Bill has often laid a lot of his complaints about the recent films at Craig's feet. It seems he's still doing that again, even though Craig clearly resigned.

    He also has passively painted BB as a schoolgirl in love with her leading actor (which frankly turns my stomach. It's disrespectful of a producer who genuinely is respected in the business for shepherding James Bond into a more grounded character (whether fans agree or disagree with the direction)).

    I'm guessing not even Craig fans (me being one of them), want him back.

    And with the release of NTTD, they essentially did a world tour of Craig saying good bye.

    Methinks Bill's displeasure with the actor and his childish perspective of Broccoli, has clouded his judgement (again).
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 8,102
    I thought Bill was just making a joke?
Sign In or Register to comment.