The Film Noir Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,327
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Luckily, THE HITCH-HIKER (1953) appears to be in the public domain:

Also, a nice documentary on Ida Lupino's career.

Thank you for that I will download the film to my PC if its public domain, will double check.

---

Just been looking in the local charity shops and found this canvas, I moved quick to get it out of the window lol...

C3Wg1jW.jpeg
    It is in excellent condition.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A nice find @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. I'm envious! :D

For @ToTheRight .....

...and something from a later in her career...

As I've stated in the past, it's the eyes.......
    Is there some good film noire boxsets on Amazon?

For @ToTheRight .....

...and something from a later in her career...

As I've stated in the past, it's the eyes.......

Great stuff, @Dwayne!

I'm watching POSTMAN as we speak and commenting in the non- Bond film commenting thread :D

Annex%20-%20Garfield,%20John%20(Postman%20Always%20Rings%20Twice,%20The)_NRFPT_01.jpg

Hello, @HitchBondUSA!

There was a series of noir sets in the mid 2000s that were great, but some OOP and rather expensive now. This one is excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Collection-Border-Incident-Dangerous/dp/B000FI9OCW

@ToTheRight. I will also be watching POSTMAN later tonight.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 118
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Hello, @HitchBondUSA!

There was a series of noir sets in the mid 2000s that were great, but some OOP and rather expensive now. This one is excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Collection-Border-Incident-Dangerous/dp/B000FI9OCW

Oh Ok I suppose film noire has a lot of films @ToTheRight

Hello, @HitchBondUSA!

There's a ton of great noirs in the classic era.

Many are in the public domain, and there are a handful of DVD sers that included those public domain titles.

Here's a good one..........

https://www.amazon.com/Film-Noir-Collection-Humphrey-Bogart/dp/B00GOYHSKQ/ref=asc_df_B00GOYHSKQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312191060363&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6615255493794216946&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005009&hvtargid=pla-524061197508&psc=1&region_id=674469
    @ToTheRight. I will also be watching POSTMAN later tonight.

Excellent!

Hello, @HitchBondUSA!

There are literally hundreds of noir titles from the classic era (i.e., 1945-1955 or so). For individual films, Kino Classics, WB Archive Collection and The Criterion Collection are your best bets for the quality of the film print used and the number of DVD extras. That said, even if you limit yourself to fifty or so "essentials" it can get very expensive.

As a result, I usually check to see if a film is in the public domain (many older films are). If a given title is AND I don't really care about film quality, a google search usually reveals where the film can be streamed or downloaded (i.e., YouTube).

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,327

It's a great painted canvas it looks better than the photo I took, it's on the wall right next to my PC where I play my old Noir DVD's which seemed appropriate.

MV5BM2EzNWEwNmYtMGE2NC00Y2NiLTk5NGEtZmRlZDE0Y2M0Yzg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Caught the new MARLOWE movie today, and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. The film is still sinking in, but I rather enjoyed it. Loved Neeson as Marlowe.
    MV5BM2EzNWEwNmYtMGE2NC00Y2NiLTk5NGEtZmRlZDE0Y2M0Yzg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Caught the new MARLOWE movie today, and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. The film is still sinking in, but I rather enjoyed it. Loved Neeson as Marlowe.

Did you watch it at the cinema or is it on streaming services? Hopefully Neesen will do more than one Marlowe movie. What stories did the film source?
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,625
    That is good news @ToTheRight. I'm hoping to see it next weekend.

The reviews have only been "so-so" and it has really underperformed at the box office thus far. That said, I'm curious to see how they did a retro flick in 2023 and why it got an "R" rating.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 15,803

Did you watch it at the cinema or is it on streaming services? Hopefully Neesen will do more than one Marlowe movie. What stories did the film source?

I saw it in the cinema. Based on The Black Eyed Blonde by John Banville. I suppose that would be like a Bond movie based on a Raymond Benson novel or something.
    That is good news @ToTheRight. I'm hoping to see it next weekend.

The reviews have only been "so-so" and it has really underperformed at the box office thus far. That said, I'm curious to see how they did a retro flick in 2023 and why it got an "R" rating.

Yeah, there were only a few people in the cinema I attended. Everyone else going to see ANT MAN I assume. I can see why the reviews are mixed. It's leisurely paced and not exactly a Liam Neeson action movie. Still as a Marlowe period detective film it ticks quite a few boxes. Enough that I enjyed it and will get the DVD or Blu ray when that gets released.

Not the sort of genre that general audiences especially younger ones would go to. They love their superheroes today. MARLOWE really plays like something you'd see on a cable station that specializes in well made period adaptations of classic mysteries. So I'm glad to have seen it on the big screen. The R rating is a bit harsh, I thought. A few F bombs, some minimal bloodshed.
    I may see it again on another day off (providing it's still in cinemas next week).
    :D
    To update my January 10th posting: THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) was the final winner of the "film noir bracket challenge":

Screenshot_2023_02_27_at_8.47.41_PM.png

While I'm a little surprised that THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS lost to ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (a fine film BTW) and IN A LONELY PLACE lost to THE BIG HEAT, I have no complaints.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 23,327
    To update my January 10th posting: THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) was the final winner of the "film noir bracket challenge":

Screenshot_2023_02_27_at_8.47.41_PM.png

While I'm a little surprised that THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS lost to ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (a fine film BTW) and IN A LONELY PLACE lost to THE BIG HEAT, I have no complaints.

Was this a running poll done online?

I would have picked different winners for some of the earlier rounds (admittedly some of the films I have not seen or are not fresh in the memory) though the two final films are top tier. I really need to update my Noir collection, many of the films listed I had on VHS and never upgraded.

There is a game shop in town that also sells hundreds of DVD's which I never look through, today I will see if I can find any Noir as I have plenty of time to do so as on leave currently.

P.s. Kiss Me Deadly vs Double Indemnity I would find very difficult to choose a winner from those two superb films.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. It was done as weekly online poll by Josh Timmers- starting in December 2022.

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2022/12/6/23495873/bcb-after-dark-chicago-cubs-free-agency-jacob-degrom-justin-verlander-mets-rangers

Billed as the "BCB Winter Noir Classic", every week or so, two films would be paired off against each other and readers would vote for their favorite between the two. And while the column is aimed at fans of the Chicago Cubs (US baseball team), I really found his writing to be fun and engaging. Naturally, I didn't learn about this until January, when this online column began to come up in some of my film noir google searches.
    No OUT OF THE PAST in that poll?
    Nice to see THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE get pretty far, though.
    I do prefer THE MALTESE FALCON to DOUBLE INDEMNITY.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,625
    No OUT OF THE PAST in that poll?
    Nice to see THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE get pretty far, though.
    I do prefer THE MALTESE FALCON to DOUBLE INDEMNITY.

The absence of OUT OF THE PAST was a bit of a surprise, but when you limit yourself to only 26 or so films.....

As for THE MALTESE FALCON vs. DOUBLE INDEMNITY, I currently watching the latter (it's on TCM) as I type this. While both are great, I actually prefer DI.

deal-with-it-double-indemnity.gif

:))
    A John Garfield appreciation post to mark the occasion of his birthday (March 4, 1913). One of the pleasures of getting into classic film (from the “Golden Age”) has been discovering that the icons were icons for good reason. And Garfield, who died way to young, was one of the best. Plus, he was from New York! :D

76391_v9_ba.jpg

The introduction that TCM (Turner Classic Movies) used when he was their Star of the Month back in February 2021.

And, finally, something for @ToTheRight :Garfield and Lana Turner
    MV5BNTM3ZTI0MjAtMDYzZi00YjM4LWE1NjktZTJiMGY5ZTk3ODk4L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
    A John Garfield appreciation post to mark the occasion of his birthday (March 4, 1913). One of the pleasures of getting into classic film (from the “Golden Age”) has been discovering that the icons were icons for good reason. And Garfield, who died way to young, was one of the best. Plus, he was from New York! :D

76391_v9_ba.jpg

The introduction that TCM (Turner Classic Movies) used when he was their Star of the Month back in February 2021.

And, finally, something for @ToTheRight :Garfield and Lana Turner
    MV5BNTM3ZTI0MjAtMDYzZi00YjM4LWE1NjktZTJiMGY5ZTk3ODk4L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Haha! Great picture, @Dwayne! Here's another one I like..........

Annex%20-%20Garfield,%20John%20(Postman%20Always%20Rings%20Twice,%20The)_NRFPT_01.jpg

I'll have to watch a John Garfield movie night tonight in his honor. I may pop in HE RAN ALL THE WAY..
    @ToTheRight. As if the tragic story line of HE RAN ALL THE WAY wasn't enough, that film proved to be Garfield's final movie. A nice summary of both the film and the tragedy that surrounded it.

http://www.classicmoviehub.com/blog/film-noir-review-he-ran-all-the-way-1951/

HRATW-GUN-SW.jpg?ssl=1

Since I don't have the film on DVD (yet), I plan to watch FORCE OF EVIL - which I think is being released in an updated blu-ray later this year.
    @ToTheRight. As if the tragic story line of HE RAN ALL THE WAY wasn't enough, that film proved to be Garfield's final movie. A nice summary of both the film and the tragedy that surrounded it.

http://www.classicmoviehub.com/blog/film-noir-review-he-ran-all-the-way-1951/

HRATW-GUN-SW.jpg?ssl=1

Since I don't have the film on DVD (yet), I plan to watch FORCE OF EVIL - which I think is being released in an updated blu-ray later this year.

I need to get FORCE OF EVIL. One I've never seen.
    I like HE RAN ALL THE WAY, solid final film for Garfield.
    I'm also watching THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL tonight. Garfield and The Dead End Kids!
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Simce we're discussing John Garfield, I'd like to put in a good word for The Breaking Point (1950), an underrated film noir based on Hemingway's To Have and Have Not (but a much different film than the Hawks version). Criterion released it on Blu-Ray a couple years ago and it's a must-buy. Garfield co-stars with Patricia Neal and the always-superb Juano Hernandez. The film is directed by the great Michael Curtiz--apparently it was he who came up with the devastating final shot. This one belongs on the list of great noirs!
    Revelator wrote: »
    Simce we're discussing John Garfield, I'd like to put in a good word for The Breaking Point (1950), an underrated film noir based on Hemingway's To Have and Have Not (but a much different film than the Hawks version). Criterion released it on Blu-Ray a couple years ago and it's a must-buy. Garfield co-stars with Patricia Neal and the always-superbJuano Hernandez. The film is directed by the great Michael Curtiz--apparently it was he came up with the devastating final shot. This one belongs on the list of great noirs!

Great noir!
    Revelator wrote: »
    Simce we're discussing John Garfield, I'd like to put in a good word for The Breaking Point (1950), an underrated film noir based on Hemingway's To Have and Have Not (but a much different film than the Hawks version). Criterion released it on Blu-Ray a couple years ago and it's a must-buy. Garfield co-stars with Patricia Neal and the always-superb Juano Hernandez. The film is directed by the great Michael Curtiz--apparently it was he who came up with the devastating final shot. This one belongs on the list of great noirs!

Great point @Revelator. As I wrote in an earlier post on this thread (page 11?), it was a Sunday TCM screening of THE BREAKING POINT that made me a film noir fan back some years ago.

Unlike TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, here the focus is squarely on the push and pull of Morgan's family life. The things that he was good at during the war aren't paying the bills now that he is at home. Yet he is too proud to take his wife's advice and seek out another way to earn a living. And it is that internal debate of a man trying to keep things together (his family and his pride) as he succumbs to temptation that works so well in the film.

While Garfield is the star, notice how the camera stays on his wife's face (Lucy, brilliantly played by Phyllis Thaxter) as she pleas with him to let the doctors amputate his arms so that they can save his life. Even the "femme-fatele" of the film (Leona Charles, played by Patricia Neal) works because Lucy is willing to fight for the man she loves - and still loves in spite of it. You rarely see that in a film noir. The lesson, finally, takes hold that you can't do everything by yourself and that it is OK to need help.

And of course, you have the final scene of Wesley Park's son (played by Juano Hernandez's real life son IIRC) on the dock waiting for the father that will not be coming home........ :((

When I first saw the film, my jaw was on the floor and my eyes were moist - very moist.
    Unfortunately, by the time the film wrapped up production, Garfield was under the cloud of HUCA as being a communist, so the film was dumped with little fanfare.

Excellent write-up @Dwayne! Apologies for having missed your earlier post.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Great review, @ggl007.
    That's another John Garfield film I still haven't seen.