The Film Noir Thread

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Peggy Cummins was amazing. I may watch THE BREAKING POINT in her honor today.

Actually, Peggy Cummins wasn't in THE BREAKING POINT.

A TCM (Noir Alley) screening of that film back in 2015 (?) served as my initial introduction to film noir. While not ranked by most critics, I actually prefer this version of Hemingway's To Have And Have Not over the earlier film which featured Bogie and Bacall (yeah remakes were a "thing" even back then).

Directed by Michael Curtiz, the film features great performances by John Garfield, Phyllis Thaxter, Juano Hernandez and Patricia Neal (the wife of YOLT screenwriter Roald Dahl). In fact, according to things that I've read and seen over the past few years, Garfield - in addition to his lead acting role - was really a co-producer/co-director on this film. Unfortunately, by the time the film was completed, Garfield became mixed up in the "Red Scare" blacklisting of the late 1940's/early 1950s, so the film flew under the radar for many years.
    MV5BZTRjYTE1ZDQtZDgxZC00NDA5LWE1NjEtZjJkZGFlY2IyYTFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

https://www.framerated.co.uk/the-breaking-point-1950/

Its' always strange, the random things that cause one to be introduced to "new" films, music, etc.. at times. For me, someone sent out a tweet during a screening of CASABLANCA, that caused me to take a look ("if you like Curtiz....").
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Peggy Cummins was amazing. I may watch THE BREAKING POINT in her honor today.

Actually, Peggy Cummins wasn't in THE BREAKING POINT.

A TCM (Noir Alley) screening of that film back in 2015 (?) served as my initial introduction to film noir. While not ranked by most critics, I actually prefer this version of Hemingway's To Have And Have Not over the earlier film which featured Bogie and Bacall (yeah remakes were a "thing" even back then).

Directed by Michael Curtiz, the film features great performances by John Garfield, Phyllis Thaxter, Juano Hernandez and Patricia Neal (the wife of YOLT screenwriter Roald Dahl). In fact, according to things that I've read and seen over the past few years, Garfield - in addition to his lead acting role - was really a co-producer/co-director on this film. Unfortunately, by the time the film was completed, Garfield became mixed up in the "Red Scare" blacklisting of the late 1940's/early 1950s, so the film flew under the radar for many years.
    MV5BZTRjYTE1ZDQtZDgxZC00NDA5LWE1NjEtZjJkZGFlY2IyYTFhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

https://www.framerated.co.uk/the-breaking-point-1950/

Its' always strange, the random things that cause one to be introduced to "new" films, music, etc.. at times. For me, someone sent out a tweet during a screening of CASABLANCA, that caused me to take a look ("if you like Curtiz....").

You're right! She's not in that one. :(
    I do love that film though. Big John Garfield fan. More of a noir than the Bogart version, I'd say.
    I'll have to dig thru my movie library and see what Peggy Cummins movies I may have..............
    As you'll see @ToTheRight, Ms. Cummins wasn't in a ton of films. In fact, she's mainly known as a British/Welsh actress and her film career was over by the early 1960s after which she devoted herself to family and charitable causes.

This photo is from a 2014 book launch in London of her with Dame Diana Rigg).
    DON-TFN-096.jpg
    As you'll see @ToTheRight, Ms. Cummins wasn't in a ton of films. In fact, she's mainly known as a British/Welsh actress and her film career was over by the early 1960s after which she devoted herself to family and charitable causes.

This photo is from a 2014 book launch in London of her with Dame Diana Rigg).
    DON-TFN-096.jpg

Great picture!
    Looks like NIGHT OF THE DEMON may be the only film of hers I have in my collection. Thought I had GUN CRAZY but was mistaken.
    Yes, her filmography was quite small.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just channel hoping and watching a random episode of Murder she Wrote The Last flight of the Dixie. I am petty sure Jane Greer is in this, it definitely looks like her...

msw5-7-bonnie.jpg?w=640

Just checked it is Jane greer.

It's the eyes. Young or old, very lovely I must say.

Her eyes do stand out, I have seen Jane Greer in more TV shows than I realised on reflection not kbowing it waa her.
    With the start of a new year, comes a revised list of "essential" classic era film noirs. Expanded to thirty (from twenty-five), I have also included twenty "honorable" mentions.

Dwayne’s Thirty Essential Film Noirs
    (In order of release year)

1. The Maltese Falcon (1942)
    2. Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    3. Double Indemnity (1944)
    4. Laura (1944)
    5. Murder, My Sweet (1944)
    6. Scarlet Street (1945)
    7. Mildred Pierce (1945)
    8. Detour (1945)
    9. The Big Sleep (1946)
    10. The Killers (1946)
    11. Out of The Past (1947)
    12. Crossfire (1947)
    13. Nightmare Alley (1947)
    14. Born to Kill (1947)
    15. Act of Violence (1948)
    16. Force of Evil (1948)
    17. Too Late for Tears (1949)
    18. The Third Man (1949) *
    19. Night and the City (1949)
    20. The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
    21. Gun Crazy (1950)
    22. In A Lonely Place (1950)
    23. The Breaking Point (1950)
    24. Sunset Boulevard (1950)
    25. The Big Heat (1953)
    26. Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
    27. Night of the Hunter (1955)
    28. The Killing (1956)
    29. Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
    30. Touch of Evil (1958)

Twenty Honorable Mentions: The Letter (1940), Leave Her to Heaven (1945), The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946), The Stranger (1946), Lady From Shanghai (1947), Pitfall (1948), They Live by Night (1948), D.O.A. (1949), Criss Cross (1949), Where Danger Lives (1950), The Man Who Cheated Himself (1950), On Dangerous Ground (1951), Strangers on a Train (1951), The Narrow Margin (1952), Pickup on South Street (1953), Nigra (1953), Crime Wave (1954), Human Desire (1954), The Big Combo (1955), Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)

* Joint US/UK production

I have excluded any foreign noirs from this list as I want to highlight them in their own posting.
    Great list, @Dwayne !

I should do a top 30- all personal favorites...........

1. OUT OF THE PAST (1947)
    2. THE BIG SLEEP (1946)
    3. THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)
    4. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1946)
    5. IN A LONELY PLACE (1950)
    6. DETOUR (1946)
    7. KISS ME DEADLY (1955)
    8. HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1951)
    9. DARK PASSAGE (1947)
    10. LAURA (1944)
    11. NIAGARA (1953)
    12. LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945)
    13. THE HITCH-HIKER (1953)
    14. WHITE HEAT (1949)
    15. QUICKSAND (1950)
    16. JOHNNY EAGER (1941)
    17. THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1942)
    18. THE KILLERS (1946)
    19. GILDA (1946)
    20. THE BRIBE (1949)
    21. DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
    22. CRISS-CROSS (1949)
    23. CRIME WAVE (1954)
    24. ROAD HOUSE (1948)
    25. RAW DEAL (1948)
    26. ANGEL FACE (1952)
    27. THE BIG COMBO (1955)
    28. MACAO (1952)
    29. AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD (1952)
    30. SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943)

Honorable mentions:

1. MY GUN IS QUICK (1957)
    2. WHERE DANGER LIVES (1950)
    3. THE NARROW MARGIN (1952)
    4. NIGHT AND THE CITY (1949)
    5. MURDER MY SWEET (1944)
    6. I, THE JURY (1953)
    7. D.O.A. (1949)
    8. TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949)
    9. STORM FEAR (1956)
    10. THE WHIP HAND (1951)
    11. MOONRISE (1948)
    12. WHIRLPOOL (1949)
    13. WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS (1950)
    14. WHISTLE STOP (1946)
    15. KEY LARGO (1948)
    16. THE BIG STEAL (1949)
    17. PORTRAIT IN BLACK (1960)
    18. DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK (1952)
    19. CLASH BY NIGHT (1952)
    20. KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL (1952).
    Thanks @ToTheRight.

I was attempting to come up with a good cross-section of films which would include most of the major actors and actresses of that era. Unfortunately, I left out at-least two stalwarts: Veronica Lake (THIS GUN FOR HIRE) and Audrey Totter (TENSION, THE UNSUSPECTED). And you have to include GIDA on a list of this type, if for no other reason than THAT dress!
    b_rita_hayworth_black_strapless_evening_dress_prom_gown_1.jpg

Back to the old drawing board!!! ☹
    Maybe, I’ll drop Human Desire, The Letter or Strangers on a Train. So many great films.

Thanks @ToTheRight.

I was attempting to come up with a good cross-section of films which would include most of the major actors and actresses of that era. Unfortunately, I left out at-least two stalwarts: Veronica Lake (THIS GUN FOR HIRE) and Audrey Totter (TENSION, THE UNSUSPECTED). And you have to include GIDA on a list of this type, if for no other reason than THAT dress!
    b_rita_hayworth_black_strapless_evening_dress_prom_gown_1.jpg

Back to the old drawing board!!! ☹
    Maybe, I’ll drop Human Desire, The Letter or Strangers on a Train. So many great films.

I made sure to include my favorite leading ladies of the era. However, it looks like I left out one of my favorite leading men, Robert Ryan.
    I may swap I THE JURY with ON DANGEROUS GROUND.
    @ToTheRight : In the off-chance that you missed it; TCM screened DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK (1952) this past weekend. While I plan to do a small write-up for the "last movie watched" thread, I thought I would post the intros/outros here first.

NOIR ALLEY: Don’t Bother To Knock 1952 (Intro)

NOIR ALLEY: Don’t Bother To Knock 1952 (Outro)

A nice little film BTW. A bit of a slow burn at first, but once it gets going......
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 15,825
    @ToTheRight : In the off-chance that you missed it; TCM screened DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK (1952) this past weekend. While I plan to do a small write-up for the "last movie watched" thread, I thought I would post the intros/outros here first.

NOIR ALLEY: Don’t Bother To Knock 1952 (Intro)

NOIR ALLEY: Don’t Bother To Knock 1952 (Outro)

A nice little film BTW. A bit of a slow burn at first, but once it gets going......

Great stuff, @Dwayne!
    That's one of my favorite Marilyn films. She's amazing, and we ge Elisha Cook Jr, Jim Backus and of course Widmark. Can't go wrong. Always liked Roy Ward Baker from some of my favorite Hammer horrors.
    Great intro and outros by Eddie Muller.
    BTW I just got a copy of his earlier edition of his DARK CITY noir book for Christmas. I love it!
    But damn, I need to get his revised edition! The newer edition has my favorite Lana Turner on the cover from POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I write a weekly review of a noir (well, not only, but also thrillers, neonoirs, lawfilms...) in a Spanish online media. This is the one about Don't Bother to Knock: https://www.eltaquigrafo.com/articulo/cine/rubias-cicatrices-del-alma/20221023084950020353.html

Yes, it's in Spanish, but maybe you're interested.

Other titles: https://www.eltaquigrafo.com/blog/section/cine
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,630
    Thanks for making me aware of your write-up @ggl007. I've only had a chance to briefly look at it, but I already like it. (I was able to use my browser to translate it into English). I may want to borrow a couple of things for my own short write-up which I'm working on.

I’m actually starting to think that interest in film noir has never been higher. For example, essays by Josh Timmers, who writes an online column on the Chicago Cubs, is currently holding a Winter Noir Classic “tournament” in which readers get to pair off various classic era film noirs and then vote for their favorites. His essay’s on IN A LONELY PLACE often come up in my internet searches on that film.

I see that THE MALTESE FALCON, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, SUNSET BOULEVARD, THE BIG SLEEP, IN A LONELY PLACE and THE THIRD MAN all had first round “byes.” Can’t argue with that!! And @ToTheRight will be thrilled to note that some of his favs are still in contention.

Screenshot_2023_01_09_at_8.39.38_PM.png

Here is his most recent link: https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2023/1/10/23547864/bcb-after-dark-chicago-cubs-kyle-hendricks-starts-shoulder-injury
    Thank you, @Dwayne. The Killers is much better than Gilda... ;)
    Great review, @ggl007 !
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,539
    Great review, @ggl007 !

Thanks! (And you can practice your Spanish! ;))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,395
    Marlowe

This looks great.
    Marlowe

This looks great.

Nice!
    Marlowe

This looks great.

I like the 1930's look of the film.

MARLOWE, a gripping noir crime thriller set in late 1930’s Los Angeles, centers around a street-wise, down on his luck detective; Philip Marlowe, played by Liam Neeson, who is hired to find the ex-lover of a glamorous heiress (Diane Kruger), daughter of a well-known movie star (Jessica Lange). The disappearance unearths a web of lies, and soon Marlowe is involved in a dangerous, deadly investigation where everyone involved has something to hide.

The one-sheet poster:
    marlowe-656x1024.jpeg

Alan Cumming, Diane Kruger, Jessica Lange (among others) also star. The film is due to be released in mid-February.
    I quite like the trailer. The period look is pretty good, and I'm hoping the film has a good noir vibe. If I have one reservation, is that it may be looking a bit too action oriented for Marlowe.
    Perhaps it's the editing, but I really don't want to see Marlowe go all TAKEN in the fight scenes. Marlowe isn't really an action hero.
    We'll see..........
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,630
    @ToTheRight. In celebration of actress/director Ida Lupino’s birthday (February 4th, 1918) and knowing that THE HITCH-HIKER (1953) is among your film noir favorites I thought I would post that movie’s NOIR ALLEY intro/outro.

The HITCH-HIKER (1953)
    Eddie Muller Intro (from 2019)

Eddie Muller Outro (from 2019)

This film has been on my must watch list for some time and TCM is screening it again on Sunday night (February 5th) as part of a short tribute to Lupino’s directing career.
    ida-lupino-director.jpg

An interesting article on Ms. Lupino's career from several years ago.
    https://elenarossini.com/2020/04/100daysofwomeninfilm-film-director-ida-lupino/
    @ToTheRight. In celebration of actress/director Ida Lupino’s birthday (February 4th, 1918) and knowing that THE HITCH-HIKER (1953) is among your film noir favorites I thought I would post that movie’s NOIR ALLEY intro/outro.

The HITCH-HIKER (1953)

This film has been on my must watch list for some time and TCM is screening it again on Sunday night (February 5th) as part of a short tribute to Lupino’s directing career.
    ida-lupino-director.jpg

The The HITCH-HIKER (1953) was on Talking Pictures channel here I the UK the other night, alas I was working at the time so could not give the film my full attention. I will see if its available on demand or elsewhere. When I saw Ida Lupino had directed it I was puzzled initially as I only knew her as an actress.

The HITCH-HIKER (1953)

ida-lupino-director.jpg

Love THE HITCH-HIKER, @Dwayne . I got a decent copy a few years ago in a noir DVD , public domain films.
    Excellent cast and genuinely suspenseful.
    I actually ended up watching one of the COLUMBO episodes she appeared in for her birthday last night. She directed a lot of classic TV as well a handful of of classc films.

ggl007 wrote: »

Great review, @ggl007 !

Great review, @ggl007 !

Thanks!
    Great review @ggl007

A really nice summary of Lupino's talents:

Today, when everyone carries a camera in their bag, it wouldn't hurt to see more bold shorts and fewer absurd selfies. Of course, not everyone is Ida Lupino.

I must admit – to my great embarrassment – that for many years I knew Ida Lupino only from her appearance as Dr. Cassandra Spellcraft – a late in the day villain on the old Batman TV program. And as for her numerous directorial contributions to TV programs of this era? - let’s face it, as a pre-teen I really didn’t read the beginning or ending credits of almost anything!

68df3077693d197b1a05201b14dbef84.png

That all started to change of course, as I begun to get more and more into “classic” films, but I still didn’t know the extent of her work, or just how pioneering she was until very recently.

edited February 2023 Posts: 2,539
    Thanks, @Dwayne! Here is another one with Ida as a femme fatale: They Drive by Night https://www.eltaquigrafo.com/articulo/cine/camiones-noche-mezcla-peligrosa/20221210110158020825.html
    Thanks, @Dwayne! Here is another one with Ida as a femme fatale: They Drive by Night https://www.eltaquigrafo.com/articulo/cine/camiones-noche-mezcla-peligrosa/20221210110158020825.html

I'm loving your reviews, @ggl007.
    Nice to see some appreciation for this somewhat rarely discussed film. I really like this movie: great cast, great atmosphere, tight direction. Great stuff!

I'm loving your reviews, @ggl007.
    Nice to see some appreciation for this somewhat rarely discussed film. I really like this movie: great cast, great atmosphere, tight direction. Great stuff!

Thanks! More than a hundred on that website (two Bonds included ;) )
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Luckily, THE HITCH-HIKER (1953) appears to be in the public domain:

Also, a nice documentary on Ida Lupino's career.