How do you listen to music?

Comments

• edited February 2023 Posts: 17,272
    @Torgiertrap it was only a cheap one I found in a charity shop unopened and never used. Probably not a long term solution though enjoyed listening to my old LP's. They usually retail at £50 I think so nothing that great.

Charity shop finds are always fun. Unopened and never used items are probably not that common though, especially with tech and audio gear. Even though it might be a short term solution, you can always sell the turntable as a way to upgrade it.

I put the turntable through my Sound Blaster amp which has improved the sound considerably. Vinyl has such a unique sound that cannot be replicated, certainly when it comes to orchestral and big band music.

Even though it might be a cheap turntable, there are always options to bring out the best of it. Sound Blaster might be it!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I still have about 400 vinyl LP albums in my basement, the majority of which I haven't touched since 1986 when I bought my first CD player and rapidly bought the CD versions of those albums I particularly cherished. I keep wondering whether any of those albums have a real value, but I sort of refuse to discard them as long as there is storage space left in this place, and I'm afraid there's a lot of it.

Although my beloved 1973 Dual 1229 record player had to be discarded in the 90s (I guess because some lubricant had gummed...at least the sound the drive made was atrocious), I still have two different record players, from my own and my wife's previous household.

I've been planning to "digitize" those albums that I don't have as CD anyway (and I bought most of those I really love as CD)for a long time, but haven't got around to that. I bought an interface on amazon.de (Behringer U-Phono UFO202) into which you plug your classical record player, while the device itself plugs into your PC's USB sockets, two years ago, but still haven't gotten further than that. I hope to change that in the coming months.

I imagine if some of those releases are early pressings, then you might make some from those vinyl records, if you ever decide to sell.

I've read good things about the Dual 1229, but like any older turntable, it would have needed a bit of work done to function after all those years. There were a lot of good turntables made in the 70's and 80's, so if those turntables you still have are from the same period, then they might be of a similar quality like the 1229 one.

Been thinking of digitising some albums myself. There are CD's I rarely listen to which might have been played more, if made digital. But finding time to do it is always an issue, haha!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    There are CD's I rarely listen to which might have been played more, if made digital. But finding time to do it is always an issue, haha!
    Looking how much time I spend on this board now I've retired myself for over a year now, I should find time to do my further digitizing. It's just that those remaining vinyls where I still don't have a CD equivalent (or better - say the Beatles as 24-bit FLAC - see below) are somewhat low-interest to me.

img_20230205_175017254iwu.jpg
    img_20230205_1753171m2fag.jpg

Whatever one thinks of the sound difference between CD and vinyl - and I don't hesitate to say that I prefer CD for convenience and definition - once you turn vinyl into CD quality it amounts to the same, only with the hisses and scratches from the vinyl disk and the rumble of the turntable drive, if any.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,271
    As a Beatles fan I like the look of the Apple stereo.

---

just bought 2 LP's for the first time since the 90's from a charity shop. The Best of Geoff Love and The Best of Michael Legrand.

I looked in several shops, I really have missed just flicking through records checking for scratches etc. the simple things in life...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The only vinyl I own is the Billie Eilish 7" single from NTTD. I feel I need to amend that. I do have several Bond 8-tracks from the 70s I'd like to play. Bet there's a modern player for them too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    QBranch wrote: »
    The only vinyl I own is the Billie Eilish 7" single from NTTD. I feel I need to amend that. I do have several Bond 8-tracks from the 70s I'd like to play. Bet there's a modern player for them too.

I have FRWL, LALD, MR and LTK original scores on vinyl that's all I own now from Bond. Now I have got a record player I intend to buy more, it's definitely a format I have missed.
  • Anyone listening in Dolby Atmos?
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,271
    Anyone listening in Dolby Atmos?
    Yes I have a Dolby Atmos Soundslayer sound bar and 2 Echo Studios which also have Dolby Atmos. I have Dolby Atmos for headphones on my PC and Xbox.

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    There are CD's I rarely listen to which might have been played more, if made digital. But finding time to do it is always an issue, haha!
    Looking how much time I spend on this board now I've retired myself for over a year now, I should find time to do my further digitizing. It's just that those remaining vinyls where I still don't have a CD equivalent (or better - say the Beatles as 24-bit FLAC - see below) are somewhat low-interest to me.
    img_20230205_175017254iwu.jpg
    img_20230205_1753171m2fag.jpg
    Whatever one thinks of the sound difference between CD and vinyl - and I don't hesitate to say that I prefer CD for convenience and definition - once you turn vinyl into CD quality it amounts to the same, only with the hisses and scratches from the vinyl disk and the rumble of the turntable drive, if any.

You can't deny the drawbacks of vinyl, that's for sure – especially when you compare it to the clarity of CD. For me, vinyl is just as much about the tactile element; the size of the record, changing it, putting it in and out of the sleeve, etc.
    QBranch wrote: »

I have a small collection of vinyl, but interestingly enough little Bond related. The only Bond related vinyl I got is a pre-owned vinyl with Bond music from (what I recall) are several artists. That vinyl has been boxed up for years; I should take it out and have a look at it one day…
    Anyone listening in Dolby Atmos?

Never tried listening in Dolby Atmos personally, but I do want to try it at some point.
    I'm thinking of maybe getting a speaker for my kitchen. It's not a must to have, but when cooking and having the fan on, I can only just hear the music playing from the living room area. I don't like to play too loud either, as my neighbours downstairs might hear.

So, I have kitchen cabinets that don't go all the way up to the ceiling, and a couple of electrical outlets above them, which means I can fit a smaller, not too heavy speaker on top – preferably one I don't have to touch to use, as that would require me to step on a stool to be able to do so. The by far easiest speaker for me to get is the Sonos One, and since we have several of these at work, I'm quite tempted.

The other options are Apple Homepod Mini or Google Nest Hub – both of which are small and easy to place, though if I ever want to use the speaker I buy for more "proper" music listening, then the Sonos One might be the way to go. The downside is I'll be introducing yet another eco system to my home, but I guess the Sonos speakers are user friendly to the extent that this won't be a major issue.

I have also considered portable speakers for convenience, but I probably want something that doesn't require me to keep remembering to charge it.
    I have 9 smart speakers in use, all being voice activated makes it very handy a smart speaker will be your best option if you don't want to constantly switch the device on. Plus you can switch Bluetooth on via voice commands, do all the speakers you are looking at support spotify?
    I have 9 smart speakers in use, all being voice activated makes it very handy a smart speaker will be your best option if you don't want to constantly switch the device on. Plus you can switch Bluetooth on via voice commands, do all the speakers you are looking at support spotify?

Nine smart speakers is a lot more than my only one, which isn't really just a speaker, haha!

Yes, as far as I can see, they all support Spotify. Voice commands are handy, though I've noticed with my Google Nest Wifi, that it isn't perfect. As long as I have easy connectivity with my iPhone, Macbook and iPad, voice commands are just a handy bonus really.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting Sonos One – the voice command one rather than the SL model without it. The price difference isn't huge anyway. It's also easy to get one, as I can just pop into any of the electrical store chains here in my hometown to pick one up, whereas some of the other options I've been looking at must be ordered.
    Ended up getting the Sonos One after work today. Very easy to set up; took me less than five minutes to take the speaker out of the box until I had registered a Sonos user on the app and have music playing out of it. It did take a bit more time to have the Google Assistant up and running on it, as for whatever reason, Google didn't identify that I had a Sonos account… It sorted itself out on the third try, which probably means it took a while before the assistant recognised that everything was indeed registered. Anyway, it works perfectly now.

Sound wise it's what I expected really, as I'm used to these speakers already. The high placement of the speaker above the kitchen cabinets spreads the sound quite well in the kitchen area, I think. It's only when you get very close to it (for example when taking something out of the cabinets directly below it), that the sound feels a little bit more muddy. A bit further away, next to the sink or the kitchen oven, it's sounds good. I briefly played radio on the Sonos as well, and speaking voices sound clear and well on it.

For the size of the kitchen area, a smaller speaker might have been more than enough too (the Google Nest Mini for example), but in the end I found it hard to find a better option than the Sonos One. It can easily be moved and do just as good a job in any other room, if needed.
    Ended up getting the Sonos One after work today. Very easy to set up; took me less than five minutes to take the speaker out of the box until I had registered a Sonos user on the app and have music playing out of it. It did take a bit more time to have the Google Assistant up and running on it, as for whatever reason, Google didn't identify that I had a Sonos account… It sorted itself out on the third try, which probably means it took a while before the assistant recognised that everything was indeed registered. Anyway, it works perfectly now.

Sound wise it's what I expected really, as I'm used to these speakers already. The high placement of the speaker above the kitchen cabinets spreads the sound quite well in the kitchen area, I think. It's only when you get very close to it (for example when taking something out of the cabinets directly below it), that the sound feels a little bit more muddy. A bit further away, next to the sink or the kitchen oven, it's sounds good. I briefly played radio on the Sonos as well, and speaking voices sound clear and well on it.

For the size of the kitchen area, a smaller speaker might have been more than enough too (the Google Nest Mini for example), but in the end I found it hard to find a better option than the Sonos One. It can easily be moved and do just as good a job in any other room, if needed.

Is Sono locked to Google exclusively, I have no experience with a Sonos. I used Google music years ago bought a few albums though been a while since I used the app.

Top top with smart speakers in the kitchen, don't try to use voice commands when the kettle is on 😂 my speakers never here me.

Is Sono locked to Google exclusively, I have no experience with a Sonos. I used Google music years ago bought a few albums though been a while since I used the app.

Top top with smart speakers in the kitchen, don't try to use voice commands when the kettle is on 😂 my speakers never here me.

No, the Sonos One (Gen 2) is compatible with multiple streaming services, like Spotify and Amazon Music, etc, as well as Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple Siri via iOS/AirPlay.

Haha, I actually tried talking to it with the kettle on tonight, and it didn't work 😂 It did work when I walked closer to the speaker though.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 23,271

No, the Sonos One (Gen 2) is compatible with multiple streaming services, like Spotify and Amazon Music, etc, as well as Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple Siri via iOS/AirPlay.

Haha, I actually tried talking to it with the kettle on tonight, and it didn't work 😂 It did work when I walked closer to the speaker though.

I may upgrade my Kitchen smart speakers at some point, something to consider. I have found myself shouting at my speakers and getting angry when the kettle is on :))

---

Just bought a vintage 90's dedicated CD player, I have not had a dedicated CD player since my last one broke (I have been using my PC or Xbox to play CD's).

Aesthetically I do like many of the 90's Sony CD players.

3394900-ca7c301e-vintage-sony-cdp-m18-cd-player-made-in-japan.jpg
    It does sound pretty good.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 17,272

I may upgrade my Kitchen smart speakers at some point, something to consider. I have found myself shouting at my speakers and getting angry when the kettle is on :))

---

Just bought a vintage 90's dedicated CD player, I have not had a dedicated CD player since my last one broke (I have been using my PC or Xbox to play CD's).

Haha! Kettle issues aside, my Sonos is working perfectly so far. Annoyingly, if I'd waited just a few more weeks I would have been aware that Sonos have just released their next generation of speakers, Era. The Era 100 looks to be the equivalent of the Sonos One I bought, only with better specs. Oh well, if I ever need a smart speaker in another room, it will be tempting to get the Era 100.

That's a nice looking CD player! I got one which is quite similar, a JVC XL-V311 (identical to the one pictured below) – which is the CD player I grew up with listening to. It's never been serviced, but is still working perfectly. I haven't used it for a while, but as soon as I get my audio setup up and running, I will be playing my CD collection on it again.

P1040686__60599.1631362317.JPG?c=2
    edited March 2023 Posts: 23,271

---

Haha! Kettle issues aside, my Sonos is working perfectly so far. Annoyingly, if I'd waited just a few more weeks I would have been aware that Sonos have just released their next generation of speakers, Era. The Era 100 looks to be the equivalent of the Sonos One I bought, only with better specs. Oh well, if I ever need a smart speaker in another room, it will be tempting to get the Era 100.

That's a nice looking CD player! I got one which is quite similar, a JVC XL-V311 (identical to the one pictured below) – which is the CD player I grew up with listening to. It's never been serviced, but is still working perfectly. I haven't used it for a while, but as soon as I get my audio setup up and running, I will be playing my CD collection on it again.

That's the problem with new tech, new versions appear on the market very quickly. I have been stung by buying a speaker only for the next gen to appear shortly after though admittedly I got it at a cheap price.

80's/90's CD players are so durable, the one I just bought is 32 years old and works like new and barely has a mark on it. Currently I have the CD player plugged into my Bose soundbar which has a amp and subwoofer so no need for an external amp for the player. Its good to have set ups which offer different listening experiences.

Your JVC looks a good player, mine is so old it does not have a headphone port :))

---

That's the problem with new tech, new versions appear on the market very quickly. I have been stung by buying a speaker only for the next gen to appear shortly after though admittedly I got it at a cheap price.

80's/90's CD players are so durable, the one I just bought is 32 years old and works like new and barely has a mark on it. Currently I have the CD player plugged into my Bose soundbar which has a amp and subwoofer so no need for an external amp for the player. Its good to have set ups which offer different listening experiences.

Your JVC looks a good player, mine is so old it does not have a headphone port :))

Yes, it's like buying a new smartphone. There's always the next generation of phones just around the corner. Very happy with the Sonos One though, so I'm not that bothered to have missed out on the new Sonos speaker.

I think the JVC CD player is from 1989 or 1990, so it's essentially the same era as the one you've got. I know where little about this specific model, but I've read that players from the late 80's and early 90's were quite good – even cheaper ones. There was a cassette deck that went along with this JVC too, but that was unfortunately sold some years ago.

---

Yes, it's like buying a new smartphone. There's always the next generation of phones just around the corner. Very happy with the Sonos One though, so I'm not that bothered to have missed out on the new Sonos speaker.

I think the JVC CD player is from 1989 or 1990, so it's essentially the same era as the one you've got. I know where little about this specific model, but I've read that players from the late 80's and early 90's were quite good – even cheaper ones. There was a cassette deck that went along with this JVC too, but that was unfortunately sold some years ago.

CD players of that era were often packed with some good hardware. since I bought my retro player I have purchased 10 new CD's, I am really getting back into listening to music on this format.

My smart phone I have had a few years now I have hit a ceiling with them so not in a hurry to upgrade this one, its literally the size of a tablet lol thinking about it I could do with a smaller micro smart phone when out cycling etc.

---

CD players of that era were often packed with some good hardware. since I bought my retro player I have purchased 10 new CD's, I am really getting back into listening to music on this format.

My smart phone I have had a few years now I have hit a ceiling with them so not in a hurry to upgrade this one, its literally the size of a tablet lol thinking about it I could do with a smaller micro smart phone when out cycling etc.

Oh definitely, and if you see past the fact that it's a physical format (which might not be for everyone these days), it's probably the ultimate format too. I have a few records on my list that I'd love to have on CD. Mostly newer releases, but also some older ones that I just want to own rather than just stream on Spotify.

I usually keep my smart phones for several years before upgrading. My former iPhone lasted 7 years, and would have lasted a further few years if it weren't for the battery life becoming an issue. When I got my current iPhone I made sure to go for a smaller size one, as the larger models are just to big IMO.

---

Oh definitely, and if you see past the fact that it's a physical format (which might not be for everyone these days), it's probably the ultimate format too. I have a few records on my list that I'd love to have on CD. Mostly newer releases, but also some older ones that I just want to own rather than just stream on Spotify.

I usually keep my smart phones for several years before upgrading. My former iPhone lasted 7 years, and would have lasted a further few years if it weren't for the battery life becoming an issue. When I got my current iPhone I made sure to go for a smaller size one, as the larger models are just to big IMO.

Since I bought the retro CD player think I have bought around 50 CD's, they are so much cheaper than digital downloads if you shop around. I have almost completely stopped streaming/playing my digital cloud/downloaded music.

---

Since I bought the retro CD player think I have bought around 50 CD's, they are so much cheaper than digital downloads if you shop around. I have almost completely stopped streaming/playing my digital cloud/downloaded music.

There are definitely a lot of good deals for CDs these days. Even new releases, if you compare them to the much pricier vinyl editions of the same albums. There are a few albums I'd like to get physical copies of, and if I want to save some money and format isn't a big deal, I might just as well get them as CDs.

---

There are definitely a lot of good deals for CDs these days. Even new releases, if you compare them to the much pricier vinyl editions of the same albums. There are a few albums I'd like to get physical copies of, and if I want to save some money and format isn't a big deal, I might just as well get them as CDs.

True, I have stopped buying vinyl for the moment since I got my CD player so much cheaper.

I want some different better speakers for my CD player, the sound bar I use is good but want the sound from different areas.

---

True, I have stopped buying vinyl for the moment since I got my CD player so much cheaper.

I want some different better speakers for my CD player, the sound bar I use is good but want the sound from different areas.

I've seen examples of artists releasing albums on digital and vinyl, but dropping CD. Sometimes the vinyls are special edition coloured vinyls as well – which are often more expensive. Most artists have both a vinyl and CD option though.

A dedicated pair of CD speakers could be worth getting. They don't have the be all that expensive either, just a good fit for the CD player and the place you have available.

---

I've seen examples of artists releasing albums on digital and vinyl, but dropping CD. Sometimes the vinyls are special edition coloured vinyls as well – which are often more expensive. Most artists have both a vinyl and CD option though.

A dedicated pair of CD speakers could be worth getting. They don't have the be all that expensive either, just a good fit for the CD player and the place you have available.

I may have to get an amp, just occured to me my soundbar has the amp etc built in. Will try to get a retro amp that goes well with the cd player.
    Just bought another 10 CD's this morning :)) so much for me going minimalist.

---

I may have to get an amp, just occured to me my soundbar has the amp etc built in. Will try to get a retro amp that goes well with the cd player.

A pair of powered speakers could be an option. The first that comes to mind are Klipsch's The Fives – though there are no doubt plenty of much cheaper options than these.

Haha! CD's do have a tendency to take up quite a bit of space. When I replaced the jewel cases for the majority of my CD collection with plastic sleeves, I reduced the physical size of my collection by two-thirds – if not more. Only the more "important" albums were left in their original cases.

---

A pair of powered speakers could be an option. The first that comes to mind are Klipsch's The Fives – though there are no doubt plenty of much cheaper options than these.

Haha! CD's do have a tendency to take up quite a bit of space. When I replaced the jewel cases for the majority of my CD collection with plastic sleeves, I reduced the physical size of my collection by two-thirds – if not more. Only the more "important" albums were left in their original cases.

Cheers i will look at powered speakers options, my sound bar is good it just limited as to the field/direction in which the sound is coming from.

I see a lot of people put CD's in sleeve, have you kept the individual CD cases and boxed them up? I may look into getting a CD wallet.

---

Cheers i will look at powered speakers options, my sound bar is good it just limited as to the field/direction in which the sound is coming from.

I see a lot of people put CD's in sleeve, have you kept the individual CD cases and boxed them up? I may look into getting a CD wallet.

Soundbars have several benefits, but field/direction is one of the major drawbacks.

I have my sleeved CDs in three Tjena Ikea boxes right now. It's not an optimal solution, and I will look at finding some better boxes to store them in. I've considered a CD wallet, but haven't found one I like yet.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,271

---

Soundbars have several benefits, but field/direction is one of the major drawbacks.

I have my sleeved CDs in three Tjena Ikea boxes right now. It's not an optimal solution, and I will look at finding some better boxes to store them in. I've considered a CD wallet, but haven't found one I like yet.

I am now over run by CD's some are just scattered on the floor lol

---

Looking to purchase some new PC stereo speakers, the Dolby Atmos Sound Slayer I bought a while ago I ended using with my Xbox instead, decided I prefer stereo speakers on my PC. So far this pair is the most likely i will buy...

maxresdefault.jpg

The Creative T100 is a compact 2.0 desktop speaker system perfect for computers and laptops. With an incredible audio performance, it offers wide connectivity options - wired, wireless, and more. Stream wirelessly via Bluetooth or directly via USB drive playback. Connect to 3.5 mm AUX-in input or via optical for wired options.

Black.
    With a powerful 2.75 driver and improved BasXPort technology, it enhances the bass
    without the need of a subwoofer.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.
    2 x 20w watt satellite speakers.
    Total power output 40W. (80W at peak)

These are around £100 though thinking i should go more premium, though I do like the look of the T100's and the optical connection is exactly what I want.