Remastered GoldenEye 007 for Xbox and Nintendo Switch Announced - Releases 27 January 2023

Comments

Exciting , it’s the first “new” Bond video game release in over 10 years.

What about world of espi… weird a dart just hit my neeeee

Zzzzzzzzzz

On a serious note yeah apart from a crappy mobile game and a few dlcs for other games this is the first new bond game and it’s not new heck they have no new levels I mean I will still buy and play it but yeah
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,105
    Awesome I had the N64 game on original release, I know what I will be doing when I have leave at the end of next week.
  • I hear ya @Risico007 :)) but it is the first Bond game I can play on a modern Xbox console . They skipped the whole Xbox One generation and since none of the past titles are backwards compatible I will take what I can get !
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 9,731
    I hear ya @Risico007 :)) but it is the first Bond game I can play on a modern Xbox console . They skipped the whole Xbox One generation and since none of the past titles are backwards compatible I will take what I can get !

Wait I. Cant play this on my Xbox one x?
  • SilvermothSilvermoth Australia
    Yessss!!! This is wonderful news to wake up to!
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I hear ya @Risico007 :)) but it is the first Bond game I can play on a modern Xbox console . They skipped the whole Xbox One generation and since none of the past titles are backwards compatible I will take what I can get !

Yes you can. He just meant that now that PS5/Xbox Series X are out, we legitimately went an entire console generation without a single Bond game.

GoldenEye will be playable on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series family of consoles.

Additionally, if you own a digital copy of Rare Replay then GoldenEye will be downloadable into it free of charge (as originally intended).

Otherwise just shop it on the Xbox Store or download via Game Pass.
    Ryan wrote: »

Yes you can. He just meant that now that PS5/Xbox Series X are out, we legitimately went an entire console generation without a single Bond game.

GoldenEye will be playable on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series family of consoles.

Additionally, if you own a digital copy of Rare Replay then GoldenEye will be downloadable into it free of charge (as originally intended).

I will buy it tomorrow but my issue here is 11 years after Legends and the best we have is this…. Look I don’t know what the solution to this is maybe telltale giving us 007 solstice maybe something else I just hate how long it’s been…

I am also annoyed that with all the fan levels created for goldeneye they couldn’t add a few to this one so we could have some new content to talk about and play
  • RyanRyan Canada

I will buy it tomorrow but my issue here is 11 years after Legends and the best we have is this…. Look I don’t know what the solution to this is maybe telltale giving us 007 solstice maybe something else I just hate how long it’s been…

I am also annoyed that with all the fan levels created for goldeneye they couldn’t add a few to this one so we could have some new content to talk about and play

It seems that a port was the method of least resistance to get around the licencing issues. Anything from the Bond rights to the game rights to the likenesses of the stars.

Let's not forget about Project 007 - it's been a long road in Bond gaming but at least we finally have a new game in development.

I look at it this way - finally being able to play GoldenEye on modern consoles without the need for an emulator is just something to keep us busy in the mean time. Sure, the abandoned remaster would have been nice but if an enhanced port is the solution that allows it to even exist then I'm personally just glad we're getting it at all.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Its the 27th now and I am up early morning time to check this out...
    I'm jealous I'm a PC gamer and don't have the switch or Xbox but want to play it 😔
    Just installing the game now, Xbox have a deal currently £1.00 for the first month of Game Pass Ultimate.

Wow talk about quick installation, never thought i would ever play Goldeneye on Xbox.

This is awesome, great memories of this classic.

The game runs very smoothly, and I don't miss the N64 control I am targeting much better with the Xbox controller.

Guards appearing out of thin air killed me near the end of the first level, forgot you have to start right back at the beginning. A lot of fun shooting enemies with reckless abandonment😂
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Almost finished my Agent run on the Xbox. I fiddled with the controls a bit (which are fully customizable - terrific feature). I settled on somewhat of a hybrid between the new Xbox control style and the original Nintendo 64 controls (for example, my brain just needs "X" to be the action button since that's where the "B" button was on the N64 controller).

I wish the text also had the resolution boost but the game looks really good. I've unlocked every Agent cheat so far so no complaints using the Xbox controller for speed running. It works great.

The achievements are currently broken but I'm sure that will get fixed.
  • Oh it’s so great to play Goldeneye again in all its pixely goodness . Pretty impressed with the port , nice to have it in 4K… still would have loved that remaster.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Agent run in the books with all Agent cheats unlocked. What a blast. The game is still fun after all these years. Time to start Secret Agent.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 847
    So, why I don't see Oddjob in Xbox multiplayer ?
  • RyanRyan Canada
    So, why I don't see Oddjob in Xbox multiplayer ?

Oddjob is unlocked only after completing the game for the first time.
    Oh, I see. I didn't know that, thank you.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Oh, I see. I didn't know that, thank you.

No problem. It's easy to forget after so many years!
    GoldenEye 007 Switch vs. Xbox Graphics Comparison

Been busy with work so not had time to continue with the game on Xbox, I have the day off tomorrow so will blast through several levels.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I have currently made it to the ship level. Playing on Switch.

The game looks fine in handheld mode, but on a 4k tv, pretty fugly.

Also managed to make a decent control scheme, despite the faff.
    And now that it’s working (finally) up to streets holy cow I miss playing a bond game with a controller and just man why can’t we have more bond games
    Same! I’m dying for more. I wish that new one was out already. It’s brilliant to play as Bond again
    Well I beat it on agent up to bunker on secret agent
    Taking a leaf out of some of your books and decided to go back play easier game modes first.

The score to this game is addictive.

I have missed playing Bond games, I currently own no other games from Bond, the last games I owned were Quantum of Solace and Blood Stone.

Edited: Just noticed you can purchase GoldenEye 007 permanently as part of a Rare Replay bundle on Xbox. I will likely buy this bundle so I can own the game as I don't often subscribe to Game Pass. GE007 appears to be in the bundle in the Xbox store though could be misleading will have to look into it further.

• RyanRyan Canada
    Finished up 00 Agent and I've unlocked all but six of the cheats.

I forget how much of an endurance Caverns and Train are! Both Control and Aztec seemed easier than I remembered. It's pretty easy to nerf Jaws if you just block yourself against him and blast his head with the laser. I know there's a trick to bypass him entirely and get a guard to open the glass doors, but I've never been able to get it to work.

I used to have the Egyptian pattern memorized for the Golden Gun but I had to resort to a guide for it. Otherwise, super easy and now I've got the wonderful All Guns cheat.

Regarding cheats - the original button codes work on the Switch version if you translate them to the Switch controller mapping. Those of us on Xbox have to do it the old fashioned way!

Now, time to mess around with 007 Mode.
    Taking a leaf out of some of your books and decided to go back play easier game modes first.

I have missed playing Bond games, I currently own no other games from Bond, the last games I owned were Quantum of Solace and Blood Stone.

Edited: Just noticed you can purchase GoldenEye 007 permanently as part of a Rare Replay bundle on Xbox. I will likely buy this bundle so I can own the game as I don't often subscribe to Game Pass. GE007 appears to be in the bundle in the Xbox store though could be misleading will have to look into it further.

Code Mystics, who handled the port for Rare, hinted on Twitter that there are still licencing issues at play which is why it's only included in the digital version of Rare Replay. Fortunately, Rare Replay goes on sale all the time for less than $10 if someone wishes to purchase and play GoldenEye outside of Game Pass.

I can't help but wonder if the whole Switch Online and Game Pass approach is to somehow get around actually "selling" the game again.

---

I forget how much of an endurance Caverns and Train are! Both Control and Aztec seemed easier than I remembered. It's pretty easy to nerf Jaws if you just block yourself against him and blast his head with the laser. I know there's a trick to bypass him entirely and get a guard to open the glass doors, but I've never been able to get it to work.

I used to have the Egyptian pattern memorized for the Golden Gun but I had to resort to a guide for it. Otherwise, super easy and now I've got the wonderful All Guns cheat.

Regarding cheats - the original button codes work on the Switch version if you translate them to the Switch controller mapping. Those of us on Xbox have to do it the old fashioned way!

Code Mystics, who handled the port for Rare, hinted on Twitter that there are still licencing issues at play which is why it's only included in the digital version of Rare Replay. Fortunately, Rare Replay goes on sale all the time for less than $10 if someone wishes to purchase and play GoldenEye outside of Game Pass.

I can't help but wonder if the whole Switch Online and Game Pass approach is to somehow get around actually "selling" the game again.

I later read that the owners of the physical copy of Rare Replay will miss out. The Rare Replay bundle on digital is currently £15.99 in the UK. The other games in the bundle are decent and none that I own.

A lot of games are ring fenced to Game Pass now I think as a way of getting more subs, also I know there are a lot of licensing issues with certain games, music etc.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 9,731
    I finally beat train on secret agent In case people are wondering my plan is

Beat it in agent (done
    Beat it in secret agent (6 levels left including Aztec)
    Beat it in 007 agent (including Egypt)

Then hope they rerelease another bond game or project 007 soon

Hell James Bond the Duel can’t have to many rights issues
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I think I'm having some network problems because none of my achievements registered today. I'm hoping they re-synchronize because I really don't want to have to get that blasted 00 Agent Facility cheat again! Fortunately it only took a handful of tries to get Doak in the right spot.

---

I later read that the owners of the physical copy of Rare Replay will miss out. The Rare Replay bundle on digital is currently £15.99 in the UK. The other games in the bundle are decent and none that I own.

A lot of games are ring fenced to Game Pass now I think as a way of getting more subs, also I know there are a lot of licensing issues with certain games, music etc.

Apparently the lack of inclusion for physical Rare Replay owners is something to do with licencing differences between the digital storefront and physical releases. According to Code Mystics, anyways. It's definitely worth a purchase though. Some great classics, plus it includes the 2010 Xbox 360 version of Perfect Dark which is worth the price of admission alone.

Calvin also brought up an interesting point in his video about the facial likenesses and permissions to have those in a re-release. I can't imagine what a mess the whole thing must have been.
    I’m watching that Calvin Dyson video now, really loving it
    Jeez control is next to impossible on secret agent can someone teach me their god like talents on how to beat it