Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Venutius wrote: »
    Priorities - that bus only runs every third Wednesday at half-10...

😂😂

It still looks alien to me to see Bond being the passenger, let alone getting on a bus
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Priorities - that bus only runs every third Wednesday at half-10...

😂😂

It still looks alien to me to see Bond being the passenger, let alone getting on a bus

That part I was actually fine with. I am quite fond of passenger Bond. Makes him feel more elusive.
  • I’d like to see the new Bond go this direction:
    - focus on Bond as a spy, not an assassin
    - Embed him with the baddies (more intrigue from MI6 wondering whose side he is on)
    - Make him young
    - Amplify his heroic attributes more (so we can root for him vs the villain - the audience is jaded with distrust of their institutions)
    - remember he works for the UK government and is not a world policeman; think how to reflect that in the scope of his missions
    - Plots to be driven by a really good villain (Spectre?) and suitably horrific plans in each movie - what are we scared of and why would they gain from it?
    - Make each film stand alone, but with an overarching plan across say 5 movies for Bond to uncover who is behind it all and stop them
    - Q builds something special on-the-fly to do a specific task; with a more steam-punk approach to the gadgets (we all have better tech than Q-branch in our own homes now!)

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    😂😂

To be fair, Bond got on a bus earlier in the same film.

1c504c10c3e274e07c6a91d1d65011f3b65b3a2d.gifv
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    😂😂

He realized that way really sucked and figured it was better to actually ENTER the bus later in the film.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    Is that extra footage? I have no recollection of it.

Bring back the taxis/staff chauffeurs. Dr.No/FRWL/LALD/TND/QoS made bond more fancy.

(It's the foot chase after Mitchell in QOS. If that rings a bell.)

2371925afe3af04656fbf8eed5189d8cfff62b88.gifv
    Theojw71 wrote: »
    I’d like to see the new Bond go this direction:
    - focus on Bond as a spy, not an assassin
    - Embed him with the baddies (more intrigue from MI6 wondering whose side he is on)
    - Make him young
    - Amplify his heroic attributes more (so we can root for him vs the villain - the audience is jaded with distrust of their institutions)
    - remember he works for the UK government and is not a world policeman; think how to reflect that in the scope of his missions
    - Plots to be driven by a really good villain (Spectre?) and suitably horrific plans in each movie - what are we scared of and why would they gain from it?
    - Make each film stand alone, but with an overarching plan across say 5 movies for Bond to uncover who is behind it all and stop them
    - Q builds something special on-the-fly to do a specific task; with a more steam-punk approach to the gadgets (we all have better tech than Q-branch in our own homes now!)

I like the idea of Bond being available for a variety of missions. Maybe one he's not keen on that ends up being a big deal.

Getting in with the bad guys worked well in LTK.

Not sure how young Bond should be, but I am tired of the world weary Bond ready to resign.

Along with amplifying Bond's heroic qualities, I would like to see a lot more British pride shown and spoken of in the films. How about a Nobody Does It Better attitude? It's okay to toot one's own horn. Americans are great at it.

Agree about a good villain. But the villain doesn't always need to have a plan for world destruction.

Yes, stand alone films. The problem with an overarching plan it is links the films. I'd like to see independent villains not linked to Spectre or Quantum or whatever's next.

And yes, Q building something on the fly. I've always thought Q coming up with something that Bond needed was a bit too convenient. It would have been fun to see Bond pull out a gadget and say, "What the hell do I need this for?" And then throw it away. But Q on scene rigging up something would be a good bit.

I've been with the series since the beginning. Where it goes next needs to be fun. Not silly like so much of the RM years, but fun in the sense that Bond is not burdened as in the case of DC. Of course what I am really wanting is another Connery.
    JK Rowling to pen the script of Bond 26? 😳

(It's the foot chase after Mitchell in QOS. If that rings a bell.)

2371925afe3af04656fbf8eed5189d8cfff62b88.gifv

That film has so much cutting its insane
  • Is that extra footage? I have no recollection of it.

There were loads of great stunts in that scene. You can see them if you watch it on slow-mo.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe

Where did you get that from?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Tuxedo wrote: »

Where did you get that from?

Please call it Transworld Consortium. ;)
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited January 2023 Posts: 648
    😂😂

"Marc, there's only ten frames of the bus driver's reaction, shouldn't we include a few more so the audience can discern it?"
    "No, damn it. Cut it down to six frames. The film doesn't feel enough like a bullet yet."
    slide_99 wrote: »
    😂😂

"Marc, there's only ten frames of the bus driver's reaction, shouldn't we include a few more so the audience can discern it?"
    "No, damn it. Cut it down down six frames. The film doesn't feel enough like a bullet yet."

I feel sorry for the actor who played that bus driver. Probably told everyone he knew that he was in a Bond film and he’s not even in the film for a full second.
    007HallY wrote: »
    slide_99 wrote: »
    😂😂

"No, damn it. Cut it down down six frames. The film doesn't feel enough like a bullet yet."

I feel sorry for the actor who played that bus driver. Probably told everyone he knew that he was in a Bond film and he’s not even in the film for a full second.

Well that establishing shot of the bus really makes it work.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    What I would give to re-edit that film with the raw footage. I would conform it more to Stuart Baird’s style as seen in CR and SF.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Seeing as EON had the action scenes in QOS blocked out and filmed by the 2nd Unit director from the Bourne Supremacy and then got the editor of the Bourne Supremacy to edit QOS, I'm guessing it wasn't their intention to go for glacial long shots...
    Their intention doesn’t really matter to me when the result is garbage editing.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,895
    See, there's the thing: 'garbage' implies that it's poor work. But it's exactly what EON wanted - they didn't mess it up, it's meant to be like that. They wouldn't have hired Bradley and Pearson, otherwise. So it's not that it's garbage, it's just that it's not to your taste. That's not the same thing. On the the hand, I have to 'fess to a sneaking admiration for your unflinching refusal to give even an inch on the QOS hate, Makeshift - it's good to know some things don't change! ;)
    Nah, I’ll give it credit where it’s due. The ironic thing is that the camera/editing in BOURNE SUPREMACY is far more effectively used. Yet with QOS it’s a failure. Maybe if Paul Greengrass were hired instead I’d be singing a different tune. Instead we had Marc Forster.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Nah, I’ll give it credit where it’s due. The ironic thing is that the camera/editing in BOURNE SUPREMACY is far more effectively used. Yet with QOS it’s a failure. Maybe if Paul Greengrass were hired instead I’d be singing a different tune. Instead we had Marc Forster.

Yes, this exactly.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    See, there's the thing: 'garbage' implies that it's poor work. But it's exactly what EON wanted - they didn't mess it up, it's meant to be like that.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd go with that thinking. Nobody ever sets out to make a bad film or make bad choices. But these things still manifest themselves.

I like the film and I'm a fan of the cinematography, but the editing is definitely a negative, aside from a couple of nicely done sequences.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah it really works in Supremacy, but not so here.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,261
    I think I found a candidate. By pure coincidence.
    2,w=467,c=0.sport.jpg

Not what I expected.

edited January 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Maybe if Paul Greengrass were hired instead I’d be singing a different tune. Instead we had Marc Forster.
    Yeah, but Greengrass didn't edit The Bourne Supremacy and Forster didn't edit QOS. The same bloke (Richard Pearson) was the primary editor of both.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd go with that thinking. Nobody ever sets out to make a bad film or make bad choices...the editing is definitely a negative, aside from a couple of nicely done sequences.
    See, I think QOS is a genuinely great film, only very slightly down from CR and whole leagues above the rest of Dan's run, and I've never seen anything wrong with the editing - never found it confusing or hard to follow. At least, I don't think I have - I've seen it so many times, I can't remember if it was all there from the start or if it slotted in over two or three viewings and there was a time where I struggled to keep up. I'm still spotting new things in it, though - a few months back someone on here pointed out that when Bond throws the motor oil at Greene, it hits him right on his gammy foot! I'd never spotted that. ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It's a clever edit - you see about one frame of the oil can connecting with said foot, before cutting to the close-up. Funny how Greene had a split shoe and his cousin, a split wig.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 7,999
    Maybe if Paul Greengrass were hired instead I’d be singing a different tune. Instead we had Marc Forster.
    Yeah, but Greengrass didn't edit The Bourne Supremacy and Forster didn't edit QOS. The same bloke (Richard Pearson) was the primary editor of both.

It’s the same bloke, but working under two different directors who have their own agendas, as well as working under different work environments. It’s not like Pearson simply used the same exact magic he had with Bourne and applied it to Bond like a copy and paste.

The biggest difference is pacing. Whatever one can say about the editing in BOURNE, no one can accuse it of feeling too rushed for its own good. It feels exactly what it needs to be.
    Apparently we will know the next actor in a few weeks according to the daily Mail

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1727556/Next-James-Bond-announcement-new-007-Aaron-Taylor-Johnson/amp
    To be fair to QOS (and admittedly from what I remember) the editing during the action scenes isn't fundamentally awful. Most of the cuts are motivated and are designed to move the story along. They're just truncated to the point where pacing is an issue.

What generally irks me about the editing is the strange creative decisions. For instance, there's simply no need in the context of a Bond film to cut to random shots of a horse race between what is supposed to be an otherwise tense and interesting interrogation scene (it's what I'd call first year film school bulls*it personally).