Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• What I would give to re-edit that film with the raw footage. I would conform it more to Stuart Baird’s style as seen in CR and SF.
    What I would give to re-edit that film with the raw footage. I would conform it more to Stuart Baird’s style as seen in CR and SF.

Yes, would be great to see the ‘Zac Snyder cut’ of QoS. Give it to him to sort it out! 😁
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited January 2023 Posts: 648
    I like QOS more than most but the editing hasn't aged well. It places the film firmly in the context of late 2000s/early 2010s action movies.

I would also like a recut of the film, but it probably won't happen because Forster is happy with the final edit, and also because the producers don't seem to be into making alternate versions of their films.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,895
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I like QOS more than most but the editing hasn't aged well. It places the film firmly in the context of late 2000s/early 2010s action movies.
    But that's exactly what EON wanted - so it succeeded very well in achieving its aims, eh! ;)
    Although, as a general principal, I'd prefer it if they went for timeless rather than 'on trend'. After all, safari suits were on trend at one time...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah I don't mind about going for 'on trend'. I certainly like the safari suits! :)
    :-O
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well, I don't like them in so far as I wouldn't wear one :) , but I like seeing them as they're of the time the film was made. A bit like how I like seeing something like the Lotus Esprit- it's wonderfully 70s but that's part of what makes it cool.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Yeah, I like the time capsule elements of Bond films. It's part of what gives most every film it's own flavour.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,448
    Yeah, I like the time capsule elements of Bond films. It's part of what gives most every film it's own flavour.

I do so very much love that too about the Bonds. Not only can I pick any "flavor" like exotic, dark, sci-fi-y, Hitchcockian, ... I can also choose between '60s, '70s, '80s, and so on. Some films play in the days when my parents were children, some in the days when I was a child, and soon there will be Bonds that play in the days when my son is a child. This provides the series with a remarkable variety in all sorts of ways. The Bond series is more than the sum of 25 films; it collects reflections on all sorts of historical, cultural, cinematic and other evolutions. The time-capsule aspect of the Bonds is as important to me as its travelogue qualities.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Just me, then... ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I do so very much love that too about the Bonds. Not only can I pick any "flavor" like exotic, dark, sci-fi-y, Hitchcockian, ... I can also choose between '60s, '70s, '80s, and so on. Some films play in the days when my parents were children, some in the days when I was a child, and soon there will be Bonds that play in the days when my son is a child. This provides the series with a remarkable variety in all sorts of ways. The Bond series is more than the sum of 25 films; it collects reflections on all sorts of historical, cultural, cinematic and other evolutions. The time-capsule aspect of the Bonds is as important to me as its travelogue qualities.

Oh yes. THIS!
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited February 2023 Posts: 3,382
    Do you guys think Barbara Broccoli and EON Productions are still interested in Bond films?
    Or maybe they want to distance themselves a bit?

I read in google that his replacement as James Bond will be announced end of next month is this right or maybe?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Agent7F wrote: »
    I read in google that his replacement as James Bond will be announced end of next month is this right or maybe?

When did you've read it?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Do you guys think Barbara Broccoli and EON Productions are still interested in Bond films?

EON and Barbara Broccoli have made films outside of the Bond universe for a long time.
    Nothing to do with not being interested or trying to distance themselves.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    A thing I hope carries over from No Time To Die is the active effort made with the henchmen. While the Craig era has had interesting villains, the henchmen were always quite tame and almost too grounded despite their impressive skill in combat and stunts. Primo, Ash, Obruchev. Each of them slightly larger than life. Ash could easily have been a return to the tameness of early Craig henchmen but the writing and Billy's acting created something more than that.

I think that's why I was so up for Fukunaga's return initially because I felt he'd perfectly captured tonally what worked in both the Craig era and those early more traditional adventures with Connery and Moore in so many areas of the film, so felt giving him a blank slate would lead to an even better James Bond adventure.

I personally found the character of Logan Ash annoying and very slappable. Glad Bond dropped the car on his head. Apart from him I absolutely love NTTD.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Peculiar and colourful villains need to return in Bond 7's era.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,895
    I personally found the character of Logan Ash annoying and very slappable. Glad Bond dropped the car on his head.
    Same. I shared Bond's pained tolerance in the Jamaican bar! Worth it for the 'Book of Mormon' gag, though - classic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    A thing I hope carries over from No Time To Die is the active effort made with the henchmen. While the Craig era has had interesting villains, the henchmen were always quite tame and almost too grounded despite their impressive skill in combat and stunts. Primo, Ash, Obruchev. Each of them slightly larger than life. Ash could easily have been a return to the tameness of early Craig henchmen but the writing and Billy's acting created something more than that.

I think that's why I was so up for Fukunaga's return initially because I felt he'd perfectly captured tonally what worked in both the Craig era and those early more traditional adventures with Connery and Moore in so many areas of the film, so felt giving him a blank slate would lead to an even better James Bond adventure.

I personally found the character of Logan Ash annoying and very slappable. Glad Bond dropped the car on his head. Apart from him I absolutely love NTTD.

I think that shows he was a successful baddie if you wanted Bond to kill him! :)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    To me, Ash was a step in the right direction, but not enough. I've mentioned this in the thread about the comics series; the current run has a very good henchman. He isn't anything massively out of the ordinary on the Bond-henchman scale of things (for spoiler purposes, I'll stop there) and the confrontations he has with Bond aren't out-of-this-world set-pieces, but he has a bit of a mouth on him and that makes things interesting.
    Which made me realize that they've gone with largely mute hechmen in the film series for a long, long time now. Especially once the hand-to-hand combat starts, they all stop talking. I don't even know who the henchmen in CR are, but I don't think Obanno and his goon say anything to Bond before or during the stairwell fight and Mollaka doesn't talk at all. The less said about Elvis in QoS the better and I don't remember Mitchell saying a whole lot either. Patrice is mute, as are all of Silva's goons. Same for Hinx. And then we have Primo who gets a few lines and Ash who is indeed a bit of a talker and he immediatly stood out. So I'd be very interested in a more expressive henchman who doesn't just go toe to toe with Bond in the fisticuffs, but also in the verbal sparring. Obviously don't go too much in the 80s one-liner direction, but let them talk, for God's sake.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    That's one thing I like about Tee Hee. He's pretty quiet but speaks when he has to and gives Bond a bit of backstory at the farm. The most effective ones for me are the near silent henchmen that deliver huge chunks of dialogue when confronting Bond, just as Grant did on the train. Ash was a breath of fresh air though and his perceived Bond fanaticism quite amusing.
    It was Ash's face that annoyed me more than owt else...
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Billy's Ash keeps reminding me of Christian Slater.
    Bill Magnussen was more interesting in Get Shorty, starring Chris O'Dowd, who would be a great character for a Bond film.
    Though I wonder why Bond didn’t point out the water to the locals.

“Hey, I just saw water right over there in walking distance.”
    Benny wrote: »

EON and Barbara Broccoli have made films outside of the Bond universe for a long time.

All I am going to say is........................Cubby Broccoli gave Bond 100% of his time, except for Chitty, which was an Ian Fleming project, while Saltzman did other things.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    delfloria wrote: »

All I am going to say is........................Cubby Broccoli gave Bond 100% of his time, except for Chitty, which was an Ian Fleming project, while Saltzman did other things.

That doesn’t say much, considering that Cubby’s track record wasn’t flawless.

Besides, TILL has five other credited producers, so I don’t think Barbara Broccoli had to put as much focus on that film compared to producing a Bond film.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,748
    To me, Ash was a step in the right direction, but not enough. I've mentioned this in the thread about the comics series; the current run has a very good henchman. He isn't anything massively out of the ordinary on the Bond-henchman scale of things (for spoiler purposes, I'll stop there) and the confrontations he has with Bond aren't out-of-this-world set-pieces, but he has a bit of a mouth on him and that makes things interesting.
    Which made me realize that they've gone with largely mute hechmen in the film series for a long, long time now. Especially once the hand-to-hand combat starts, they all stop talking. I don't even know who the henchmen in CR are, but I don't think Obanno and his goon say anything to Bond before or during the stairwell fight and Mollaka doesn't talk at all. The less said about Elvis in QoS the better and I don't remember Mitchell saying a whole lot either. Patrice is mute, as are all of Silva's goons. Same for Hinx. And then we have Primo who gets a few lines and Ash who is indeed a bit of a talker and he immediatly stood out. So I'd be very interested in a more expressive henchman who doesn't just go toe to toe with Bond in the fisticuffs, but also in the verbal sparring. Obviously don't go too much in the 80s one-liner direction, but let them talk, for God's sake.

Yeah, good point about the Craig era henchmen being rather silent (and a bit lacklustre). If I’m honest even Primo doesn’t do anything for me. Ash is a secondary villain but I guess slightly different to a henchman. I guess he’s more a ‘mole’/duplicitous traitor, which seems to have cropped up in later Bond films - Mitchel in QOS, C in SP etc.

I think they can do something different with the next henchman (or indeed henchwoman). I don’t think the film necessarily needs a large, muscled opponent for Bond to go toe to toe with, but they need something about them which poses a threat. Examples which come to mind are Dario from LTK with his knife, and Tee Hee with his metal arm. In both cases the audience are shown what these men can do with these traits, but moreover they are actually given lines and even specific reaction shots which give us a sense of how sadistic they can be (ie. ‘don’t worry, we have her a nice honeymoon’ etc). The closest we got to such a threatening trait in the Craig era was Hinx with his weird eye gouging thing (which, if I’m honest, was a bit lame). Even Primo’s eye, gimmicky as it was, was not a threatening feature, and generally he seemed more of a gun for hire doing his job rather than a sadistic psychopath who enjoys what he does.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

That doesn’t say much, considering that Cubby’s track record wasn’t flawless.

Besides, TILL has five other credited producers, so I don’t think Barbara Broccoli had to put as much focus on that film compared to producing a Bond film.

Unfortunately, neither is Barbara's track record with Bond. She may be one of many producers on Till but she has also had to spend time on the Broadway play, not to mention keeping track of the Bond reality TV series. There are just so many hours in the day or brain cells you can apply to projects.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2023 Posts: 14,861
    Why should she only make Bond?
    If I think of all the other filmmakers whose work I enjoy, I can't imagine being irritated that they've made other films on subject matter I personally have enjoyed less. I love the Indiana Jones films; am I supposed to be annoyed that Spielberg dared to make Saving Private Ryan instead of Indy 4?
  • echoecho 007 in New York

And Saltzman was responsible for OHMSS and LALD, while Cubby was responsible for DAF and TMWTGG.