How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    QBranch wrote: »
    Bought as a prop, but I suppose if I wanted to watch a movie late at night, they're there. Also have young Madeleine's CD Walkman headphones which had the orange foam earpads. A bit of retro fun there.

Does Q wear them very late in the film, I do recall them looking aesthetically very good, I guess with your extensive collection you are constantly on the look out for items

Have you attempted to find Madelines mothers CD player? (I have just put the pre title sequence for NTTD on. I was trying to determine what Madeline was listening to on her CD player, its difficult)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 13,937
    Q has the headphones in front of him on his desk at home, when uploading the USB Bond gives him. He doesn't wear them. You might be thinking of the David Clark aviation headset he wears on the plane, which I have as well.

I think someone here or on AJB identified the CD player. I don't have that one, just Madeleine's CD Walkman.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Q has the headphones in front of him on his desk at home, when uploading the USB Bond gives him. He doesn't wear them. You might be thinking of the David Clark aviation headset he wears on the plane, which I have as well.

I think someone here or on AJB identified the CD player. I don't have that one, just Madeleine's CD Walkman.

Of course its unlikely Q would wear the Pioneer headphones during a mission lol My excuse is I don't get past the Pre title sequence in NTTD of late.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 17,294
    My UFO Bludio Wireless Headphones I have had a few years now so decided to treat myself to another wireless set...

Sony WH-XB910N EXTRA BASS™ Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones
    71L8q7OI81L._AC_SY450_.jpg

The reviews were good and I like the customisation via the Sony app. Plus they were on sale, been keeping an eye on this set since release the price has dropped quiet a bit.

I am starting to build quite a collection of headphones.

These look really sleek! I'm sitting with my old and trusty (wired) Sennheiser's as I type this. The wires don't bother me that much, but I've been thinking of getting a wireless headset recently – for the occasions when wires are in the way. I'll add these ones to my list.
    Have you got Q's Pioneer headphones from NTTD? One of the most expensive Bond items I ever bought. My wallet was screaming so loud I had to switch to earmuffs.

Whoa, those Pioneer's are not cheap! I was looking at a pair of Bang & Olufsen wireless headphones earlier. They looked really nice, but they were even more pricy than these :))

Speaking of Bang & Olufsen: @RichardTheBruce identified the NTTD CD player as the Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Ouverture / 4000 CD Tape Player. I did a search for one of these sometime last year, but didn't find the exact same model. Did find a more entry level option though, which was quite similar. Not that expensive either, on the site I searched.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    What about the Tamagachi @QBranch? Or maybe that's old news for you.

edited January 2023 Posts: 23,378
    @Torgeirtrap I use my wired Sennheisers frequently as I listen and watch most of my media from my PC of late. The Sony wireless pair are really to use when watching a movie late evening on my 4K TV. They arrive tomorrow I am very interested to see how effective the EXTRA BASE is. I was looking at higher end headphones though just could not justify the purchase, I don't really need the Sony pair.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    To each his own, but I can't stand earphones or headphones. About fifty years ago, I initially had Telefunken headphones with my (then somewhat advanced) hi-fi equipment which gave a great sound but made me feel sort of claustrophobic, detached from the real world. I still have some Sennheisers (those with the foam pads) from a few years later, but I don't think I've listened to music via those headphones since the eighties.

I bought an iPod Classic (mainly for the car I bought then, where it still does its job) in 2008, and tried to use the earphones on occasion. Hated it. Just for the feel of something sticking in my ear. I've basically left all the earphones delivered with my smartphones after that untouched.

Give me decent loudspeakers (attached to a decent amplifier) somewhere in my living room or wherever anytime. But I don't need music when I'm outdoors or walking through the city, and especially not when it's either locking me out from city noises and/or intruding into my ear canal.

What about the Tamagachi @QBranch? Or maybe that's old news for you.
    I believe it's a custom build. Or at least I have never seen one quite like it. Pretty sure it's a cat, but it looks a bit owl-like.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    To each his own, but I can't stand earphones or headphones. About fifty years ago, I initially had Telefunken headphones with my (then somewhat advanced) hi-fi equipment which gave a great sound but made me feel sort of claustrophobic, detached from the real world. I still have some Sennheisers (those with the foam pads) from a few years later, but I don't think I've listened to music via those headphones since the eighties.

I bought an iPod Classic (mainly for the car I bought then, where it still does its job) in 2008, and tried to use the earphones on occasion. Hated it. Just for the feel of something sticking in my ear. I've basically left all the earphones delivered with my smartphones after that untouched.

Give me decent loudspeakers (attached to a decent amplifier) somewhere in my living room or wherever anytime. But I don't need music when I'm outdoors or walking through the city, and especially not when it's either locking me out from city noises and/or intruding into my ear canal.

I use my headphones predominantly at home, I can relate in a sense in that I very rarely use headphones or earphones when out running, walking or in the gym, I don't like my senses impaired when active. Despite having several pairs of headphones my first go to is to listen to music via speakers.
    Just testing new headphones very impressed, the level of detail is on point. technology has moved on since I bought my last wireless pair. Its handy having Alexa built into the the headphones when moving about and wanting to access my Amazon music library.

Listening to GE score sounds amazing.

Edited: The biggest test when it comes to movies is Apocalypse Now the sound design on this film is second to none, with these headphones its like crickets are sat on my shoulders.
    @Torgeirtrap I use my wired Sennheisers frequently as I listen and watch most of my media from my PC of late. The Sony wireless pair are really to use when watching a movie late evening on my 4K TV. They arrive tomorrow I am very interested to see how effective the EXTRA BASE is. I was looking at higher end headphones though just could not justify the purchase, I don't really need the Sony pair.

I think I paid a similar price as the Sony WH-XB910N headphones for my Momentum Sennheisers, back when I bought my pair in 2015. I wonder how similar (or not) they are, sound quality wise.

If I end up purchasing a new set of headphones, I am tempted to at least try a higher end pair of headphones in store, just to see if I can justify going that extra step up.

Definitely see your point there, @j_w_pepper. For me, I just have to block out noises from time to time. That doesn't take away my enjoyment of a decent set of loudspeakers though!
    Just testing new headphones very impressed, the level of detail is on point. technology has moved on since I bought my last wireless pair. Its handy having Alexa built into the the headphones when moving about and wanting to access my Amazon music library.

Listening to GE score sounds amazing.

Edited: The biggest test when it comes to movies is Apocalypse Now the sound design on this film is second to none, with these headphones its like crickets are sat on my shoulders.

That's an interesting feature, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!
    The Alexa capability aside, it is funny that my headphones are randomly talking to me.

I have not set up Alexa properly yet, just been testing them out first in different modes and playing around with the equalizer.The noise cancelling is very good, sometimes I forget its activated and I am surprised when I take the headphones off at the amount of sound its blocking.

Bought some storage boxes the other day, decided to box up all my CD's, I have a lot. I am actually doing a decent job of going more minimalistic... finally. Having the extra space around my PC is great, also bought some new shelving that has 4 headphone hooks 2 on each side, saves me buying more headphone stands... its inevitable I will buy more headphones.
    The Alexa capability aside, it is funny that my headphones are randomly talking to me.

I have not set up Alexa yet, just been testing them out first in different modes and playing around with the equalizer.The noise cancelling is very good, sometimes I forget its activated and I am surprised when I take the headphones off at the amount of sound its blocking.

Bought some storage boxes the other day, decided to box up all my CD's, I have a lot. I am actually doing a decent job of going more minimalistic... finally. Having the extra space around my PC is great, also bought some new shelving that has 4 headphone hooks 2 on each side, saves me buying more headphone stands... its inevitable I will buy more headphones.

Hah, that's funny!

I'm not sure which features I want from a potential second pair of headphones, or how "smart" I want them to be. As long as the sound quality is good, the headphones blocks out a decent amount of noice, are good to wear and are easy to connect to my devices of choice, I'm happy.

I'm likely to do another clearout and a bit of organising this year too. I'm have a second bedroom which is just used as storage right now, which I'm looking to turn into a music/reading room of sorts. Will have to find some good storage solutions though, that are easy to put up, looks nice and that comes at a total cost I can justify paying.
    Just finished setting up Alexa on headphones, this takes lazyness to a new level 😂 I can just sit on sofa and ask my headphones to play all my Bond scores and not move 😂 I like these headphones the base sounds great a real rich sound.

Next week will take stuff to charity shop, I bagged up all my audio cables and adapters. It's ridiculous how many Bluetooth leads I have. I have two Roku sticks and a Fire TV box I don't even use. I need to be ruthless and stop hording. Argos has a sale on storage boxes at moment I will likely buy some more.
    Testing the 360 Reality Audio on new headphones, very impressive.

Just finished setting up Alexa on headphones, this takes lazyness to a new level 😂 I can just sit on sofa and ask my headphones to play all my Bond scores and not move 😂 I like these headphones the base sounds great a real rich sound.

Next week will take stuff to charity shop, I bagged up all my audio cables and adapters. It's ridiculous how many Bluetooth leads I have. I have two Roku sticks and a Fire TV box I don't even use. I need to be ruthless and stop hording. Argos has a sale on storage boxes at moment I will likely buy some more.

Haha! Great feature (one I wouldn't mind a similar one of myself either), but it does make it very easy to be lazy for sure 😂

From my previous clearouts, cables have been one of the big issues for me. I have (and have got rid of) lot of devices with their respective cables, but I've always ended up with more cables than I have use for. I still have a box of cables I need to sort out, but I need to plan what to keep or not.
    Bond-wise, I have the following:

Grundig reel-to-reel recorder used by M to record Tatiana's details of the Lektor
    Aki's portable Sony radio - needs a bit of cosmetic restoration
    Blofeld's voice changer in wooden casing - the Sony logo is hidden under the light-up keypad
    Blofeld's Philips cassette recorder for playing the 'World's Greatest Marches' cassette
    Vanity Fair 007 AM radio from 1973 - neat promo to coincide with Roger's introduction as Bond
    5 different walkmans, for Pola Ivanova, Necros, Dryden and two others
    Stacey Sutton's bedside radio - brand new in original box from the mid-80s
    Moneypenny's cassette recorder from TLD, also seen in Koskov's debriefing at Blayden safehouse
    Q's Philips ghettoblaster - in real nice condition but the cassette belts need replacing
    Arco 007 promotional radio from 1995 - quite large; you turn the speaker to select the station
    TND promo micro FM radio - part of a set which came with the micro camera and VHS
    TND promo Ericsson radio - small pocket radio with earphones
    QOS promo mp3 player with USB flashdrive
    M's JBL speaker from SF ('agent down')
    Young Madeleine's Sony Discman with orange foam headphones
    Q's Pioneer DJ headphones seen in his home
    Bond's Tivoli radio with wooden casing, from in his Jamaican villa

As for how I listen to music, here are my setups:

Bedroom (computer desk):

Bush Latitude DAB+ radio in silver - neat little radio - had this one for over 10 years.

Logitech Z130 speakers - these pumped, but the cord got damaged from switching it between the radio and PC monitor everyday. Had to buy another set (see below) until I can fix the cord.

Logitech Z150 speakers - Sadly, these don't have the clarity or bass that the older Z130s did.

At work:

Panasonic mini hi-fi system SC-PM250GN-S - sadly didn't have the digital stations but has served me well over the last 3 and a bit years, and is by far the best system in my whole workplace :D

Bush Latitude DAB+ radio in red - liked this one so much I bought one for work.

Logitech Z130 speakers - again, rebought these to use at work.

Small AM/FM portable radio with USB, mp3 player & LED torch - for when doing jobs away from my work station. Two other work colleagues asked me to buy them this because it's so handy. Aerial is integrated into the carry strap.

I used an mp3 player for many years, that was the Samsung Yepp YP-T6 in silver/white which kept on going even after the tab on the battery door broke off (I used a cable tie to keep it shut). I bought this one in 2005, but didn't really start using it until 2007 when it saw thorough use, all the way through until 2016 when I lost it, either dropping out of my bag at work or maybe someone nicked it.

I also have an 8gb ipod Nano (4th gen) in silver, bought around 2009. Rarely use this one these days, because it goes flat pretty quickly.
    Bond-wise, I have the following:

Grundig reel-to-reel recorder used by M to record Tatiana's details of the Lektor
    Aki's portable Sony radio - needs a bit of cosmetic restoration
    Blofeld's voice changer in wooden casing - the Sony logo is hidden under the light-up keypad
    Blofeld's Philips cassette recorder for playing the 'World's Greatest Marches' cassette
    Vanity Fair 007 AM radio from 1973 - neat promo to coincide with Roger's introduction as Bond
    5 different walkmans, for Pola Ivanova, Necros, Dryden and two others
    Stacey Sutton's bedside radio - brand new in original box from the mid-80s
    Moneypenny's cassette recorder from TLD, also seen in Koskov's debriefing at Blayden safehouse
    Q's Philips ghettoblaster - in real nice condition but the cassette belts need replacing
    Arco 007 promotional radio from 1995 - quite large; you turn the speaker to select the station
    TND promo micro FM radio - part of a set which came with the micro camera and VHS
    TND promo Ericsson radio - small pocket radio with earphones
    QOS promo mp3 player with USB flashdrive
    M's JBL speaker from SF ('agent down')
    Young Madeleine's Sony Discman with orange foam headphones
    Q's Pioneer DJ headphones seen in his home
    Bond's Tivoli radio with wooden casing, from in his Jamaican villa

As for how I listen to music, here are my setups:

Bedroom (computer desk):

Bush Latitude DAB+ radio in silver - neat little radio - had this one for over 10 years.

Logitech Z130 speakers - these pumped, but the cord got damaged from switching it between the radio and PC monitor everyday. Had to buy another set (see below) until I can fix the cord.

Logitech Z150 speakers - Sadly, these don't have the clarity or bass that the older Z130s did.

At work:

Panasonic mini hi-fi system SC-PM250GN-S - sadly didn't have the digital stations but has served me well over the last 3 and a bit years, and is by far the best system in my whole workplace :D

Bush Latitude DAB+ radio in red - liked this one so much I bought one for work.

Logitech Z130 speakers - again, rebought these to use at work.

Small AM/FM portable radio with USB, mp3 player & LED torch - for when doing jobs away from my work station. Two other work colleagues asked me to buy them this because it's so handy. Aerial is integrated into the carry strap.

I used an mp3 player for many years, that was the Samsung Yepp YP-T6 in silver/white which kept on going even after the tab on the battery door broke off (I used a cable tie to keep it shut). I bought this one in 2005, but didn't really start using it until 2007 when it saw thorough use, all the way through until 2016 when I lost it, either dropping out of my bag at work or maybe someone nicked it.

I also have an 8gb ipod Nano (4th gen) in silver, bought around 2009. Rarely use this one these days, because it goes flat pretty quickly.

Impressive collection where do you display all your Bond items.

My Mp3 player I probably used it twice, with modern mobile phones capabilities it made the MP3 player redundant very quickly.

Haha! Great feature (one I wouldn't mind a similar one of myself either), but it does make it very easy to be lazy for sure 😂

From my previous clearouts, cables have been one of the big issues for me. I have (and have got rid of) lot of devices with their respective cables, but I've always ended up with more cables than I have use for. I still have a box of cables I need to sort out, but I need to plan what to keep or not.

With all the electrical gear I don't use I could easily open a shop its ridiculous. though as a lot of it is old tech not sure anyone would buy it :))
    where do you display all your Bond items.

My Mp3 player I probably used it twice, with modern mobile phones capabilities it made the MP3 player redundant very quickly.
    I keep it all in the middle spare room, on six steel racks. I'd like to get either the Tivoli or ghettoblaster up and running so I can listen to music on it while organizing the room or preparing a photo shoot.

I fell behind the phone technology and kept using an MP3 long after the first iPhone came out. Believe it or not I didn't buy my first smartphone until 2020!
    I bought my first smart phone around 2014 when I finally stopped resisting online shopping, I was forced to fully embrace the digital age as where I lived high Street shops were closing at an alarming rate.
    That's a great Bond – and non-Bond collection @QBranch! Out of these, I wouldn't mind owning Aki's portable Sony radio, Blofeld's Philips cassette recorder, and maybe the Tivoli radio!
    With all the electrical gear I don't use I could easily open a shop its ridiculous. though as a lot of it is old tech not sure anyone would buy it :))

You'd be surprised what people might want to pay for. A little money here and there, and you might be able to get other stuff you actually need. I will have that in mind for my next clearout.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,378
    Just bought a USB Record player (which can be hooked up to my PC) and listened to my FRWL vinyl LP' for the first time n decades. You really cannot beat the sound of vinyl.

P.s. glad I had not got rid of all of my bagged up cables yet, as I needed them to attach some external speakers lol
    I wouldn't mind owning Aki's portable Sony radio, Blofeld's Philips cassette recorder, and maybe the Tivoli radio!
    Many Tivoli model Ones on ebay. Philips 2205 is the tape deck, but all rough examples on ebay atm. This one is notorious for losing the square button covers. Mine came with the manual.
    Just bought a USB Record player (which can be hooked up to my PC) and listened to my FRWL vinyl LP' for the first time n decades. You really cannot beat the sound of vinyl.

P.s. glad I had not got rid of all of my bagged up cables yet, as I needed them to attach some external speakers lol
    USB record player, that is cool. Now you can put on some calypso while playing Patience.
    I wouldn't mind owning Aki's portable Sony radio, Blofeld's Philips cassette recorder, and maybe the Tivoli radio!
    Many Tivoli model Ones on ebay. Philips 2205 is the tape deck, but all rough examples on ebay atm. This one is notorious for losing the square button covers. Mine came with the manual.

USB record player, that is cool. Now you can put on some calypso while playing Patience.

The main function of the USB is to record vinyl via the audacity app to the PC.

I got the turn table mainly because it was going cheap and I still have a few LP's left from my discarded collection. I have not listened to any vinyl in years including 4 Bond scores that I still have.

There are a lot of good (USB) turntables out there. which one did you get?

Indeed there are. I can also see some very cheap ones on Finn.no, a Norwegian site where you can sell and buy used stuff (among many other things). They go cheap because we're moving away from FM radio here, in favour of digital radio. I guess you can connect the Tivoli radio to an external source using AUX. I also see that Tivoli themselves sell refurbished radios a bit cheaper than new ones. That's also an option.
    _______

I didn't intent to get another audio device, but I ended up with one anyway earlier this week. For a while I've been looking to improve the network quality in my bedroom, which is the room furthest away from my wifi router. I looked at several options, but a colleague turned me to the Google Nest WiFi router. My apartment isn't that big, so I only needed a 2-pack mesh-system with the router and a secondary Nest Wifi point. The two devices aren't big, and the Nest Wifi point also includes a speaker with Google Assistant, which you can play music with, and control other devices. The speaker on this thing isn't bad for it's size, and I can see myself using it quite a bit.

For a small place it becomes a bit unnecessary with yet another device, and another router with wires connected to it. I'll be looking at ways to hide my router setup a bit more, so it blends more with the interior. The solution could be a cabinet/media console of sorts.
    @Torgiertrap it was only a cheap one I found in a charity shop unopened and never used. Probably not a long term solution though enjoyed listening to my old LP's. They usually retail at £50 I think so nothing that great.
    @Torgiertrap it was only a cheap one I found in a charity shop unopened and never used. Probably not a long term solution though enjoyed listening to my old LP's. They usually retail at £50 I think so nothing that great.

Charity shop finds are always fun. Unopened and never used items are probably not that common though, especially with tech and audio gear. Even though it might be a short term solution, you can always sell the turntable as a way to upgrade it.

Charity shop finds are always fun. Unopened and never used items are probably not that common though, especially with tech and audio gear. Even though it might be a short term solution, you can always sell the turntable as a way to upgrade it.

I put the turntable through my Sound Blaster amp which has improved the sound considerably. Vinyl has such a unique sound that cannot be replicated, certainly when it comes to orchestral and big band music.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,697
    I still have about 400 vinyl LP albums in my basement, the majority of which I haven't touched since 1986 when I bought my first CD player and rapidly bought the CD versions of those albums I particularly cherished. I keep wondering whether any of those albums have a real value, but I sort of refuse to discard them as long as there is storage space left in this place, and I'm afraid there's a lot of it.

Although my beloved 1973 Dual 1229 record player had to be discarded in the 90s (I guess because some lubricant had gummed...at least the sound the drive made was atrocious), I still have two different record players, from my own and my wife's previous household.

I've been planning to "digitize" those albums that I don't have as CD anyway (and I bought most of those I really love as CD)for a long time, but haven't got around to that. I bought an interface on amazon.de (Behringer U-Phono UFO202) into which you plug your classical record player, while the device itself plugs into your PC's USB sockets, two years ago, but still haven't gotten further than that. I hope to change that in the coming months.
    I still have about 400 vinyl LP albums in my basement, the majority of which I haven't touched since 1986 when I bought my first CD player and rapidly bought the CD versions of those albums I particularly cherished. I keep wondering whether any of those albums have a real value, but I sort of refuse to discard them as long as there is storage space left in this place, and I'm afraid there's a lot of it.

Although my beloved 1973 Dual 1229 record player had to be discarded in the 90s (I guess because some lubricant had gummed...at least the sound the drive made was atrocious), I still have two different record players, from my own and my wife's previous household.

I've been planning to "digitize" those albums that I don't have as CD anyway (and I bought most of those I really love as CD)for a long time, but haven't got around to that. I bought an interface on amazon.de (Behringer U-Phono UFO202) into which you plug your classical record player, while the device itself plugs into your PC's USB sockets, two years ago, but still haven't gotten further than that. I hope to change that in the coming months.

I regrettably got rid of my large Vinyl collection a few decades ago, I had a vast collection many record which wuld be almost impossible to find today.

Now I only have 6 LP's left 4 of which are Bond scores, using Audacity app on Windows 11 I can record my LP's though the LP's I have I also have on other formats already. I will buy more LP's for sure now that I have an interest in that format again.