Who could/should play Felix Leiter in the post-Craig era?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I almost kind of wish they’d saved Magnussen for Felix. I think he would have been good.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Wasn’t the original plan to have Felix in the Cuba sequence, but then they wanted Ms de Armas in the film?

Magnussen would have been good. I will stay with Wyatt Russell as my pick until they announce someone else. Maybe some outside bets on Austin Butler. He looks a bit like Jack Lord. But I guess he’d be more in line for a juicy villain role and not just the third sidekick in a handful of films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I almost kind of wish they’d saved Magnussen for Felix. I think he would have been good.

Charles Gray and Joe Don Baker are proof it could still happen!
  • Sam Rockwell
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    John Cusack was underrated af during his prime.

Lance Reddick would have been really good as well

Both are a bit old now, but if they go Aidan/Cillian/Fassbender+Nolan/Villeneuve i would take Lance.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What about Aidan Turner as Felix?

I'll leave now.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Why not revert to the idea of choosing another Felix Leiter with every movie? Just to keep up the tradition. I'd be fine with that, although I'm not trying to diss the ones that played the role more than once (David Hedison, Jeffrey Wright - and, let's face it, Joe Don Baker, but he's really the same character). I think that the diversity of Leiters has done a lot to make people adjust to a changing timeline in the franchise. And accept yet another actor to play 007.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 13,006
    Don Cheadle. Though yeah he's too old now.

Or what additional 3 actors could have followed Jeffrey Wright.

• edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Why not revert to the idea of choosing another Felix Leiter with every movie? Just to keep up the tradition. I'd be fine with that, although I'm not trying to diss the ones that played the role more than once (David Hedison, Jeffrey Wright - and, let's face it, Joe Don Baker, but he's really the same character). I think that the diversity of Leiters has done a lot to make people adjust to a changing timeline in the franchise. And accept yet another actor to play 007.

Like this very much 👍
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Like this very much 👍

Appreciate your support. Thank you.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm conflicted on Felix. To me he's pretty dull in conception and doesn't really add much, but then in NTTD he was rather excellent, and I really bought that Bond and he had a real friendship. I think it depends entirely on how he's presented and played, and if they can get someone as good Wright again then I'll be up for him appearing.

Yeah. I agree. Maybe a white actor as good as Jack Lord would also work. Jack Lord was so good, that one wouldn't have had any qualms about him as James Bond....even as an American.

Jon Hamm would make a great Felix, particularly for a youngish Bond.
  • SeanoSeano Minnesota. No, it's not always cold.
    Decloaking to toss out a bunch of names...

"Old Felix" division:
    Timothy Olyphant
    Liev Schreiber
    Michael Shannon
    Sterling K. Brown

"Young Felix" division:
    Jesse Plemons
    Alden Ehrenreich
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Michael Shannon is always fantastic but I wonder would he overshadow Bond? I don't think overshadowing matters too much if you're the villain for example, but a role like Felix shouldn't overshadow I think.

Jesse Plemons though is actually not a bad shout and I can see him doing something really different with it.
    Michael Shannon is always fantastic but I wonder would he overshadow Bond? I don't think overshadowing matters too much if you're the villain for example, but a role like Felix shouldn't overshadow I think.

Jesse Plemons though is actually not a bad shout and I can see him doing something really different with it.

I'd be surprised if Plemons doesn't play a Bond villain at some point in the future.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    007HallY wrote: »

I'd be surprised if Plemons doesn't play a Bond villain at some point in the future.

Oh I'd pay for that! Plemons is fantastic in everything I've seen him in. Excellent choice, @007HallY.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

Oh I'd pay for that! Plemons is fantastic in everything I've seen him in. Excellent choice, @007HallY.

He's great, I think he'd be good. My only hope is they don't get him to reprise his role as Todd in Breaking Bad and instead get him to do something different. A bit like how Javiar Bardem played Silva in a way that was very different to Anton Chigurh from No Country - more of a trickster than a cold killing machine.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Jesse Plemons is a great choice for Felix Leiter.
    Any actor could be used, it depend on what type of American agent to want, a US version of Bond, a older worldly agent or a chemeleon who blends in. Maybe a famous actor who hasnt been seen for ages. Dennis Quaid, Andy Garcia, Laurence Fishbourne, Mark Harmon
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 21
    If ATJ is Bond it should be Brian Tyree Henry as they were great together in Bullet Train.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    An actor I've championed now and again for Felix will actually be playing the main villain in Kraven The Hunter opposite Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Christopher Abbott.

FMUFhXdX0AkGlYH.jpg
  • I LOVE the idea of Jesse Plemons. He never crossed my mind, but I’d be really excited about that casting if it were to happen. I think Glen Powell would be an interesting choice if we were going to throwback to a Jack Lord type for Felix, my choice for an older Felix has been Sam Rockwell for some time.
    1200x0.jpg
    Jon Hamm , he would be a throwback to a Jack Lord cool Felix.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Felix needs to feel like a contemporary of Bond, so we're going to need a younger Leiter next time.
    I think Glen Powell would be a fantastic choice to take on the Leiter role for the next set of films.
    T
    echo wrote: »
    Felix needs to feel like a contemporary of Bond, so we're going to need a younger Leiter next time.

That’s not a given; Felix could be a more seasoned agent who is a pseudo mentor to a younger Bond.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I wonder if we'll even see a new Felix in the next era?
    Hedison was a welcome return after a very long break. I'm not for a new Felix with every film because I like actors who can continue to develop and evolve their characters. Wright was the first actor who really had a chance to develop FL as a character. As always I am looking for an actor, not a star or a personality. I recently finished the series Blackbird and was impressed with the work of Taron Egerton whose Eddie the Eagle and Elton John would not anticipate his Jimmy Keene role. Also of note, Paul Walter Hauser who could make a great Bond villain, or against type, FL.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    talos7 wrote: »
    T

That’s not a given; Felix could be a more seasoned agent who is a pseudo mentor to a younger Bond.

I respectfully disagree...I don't find Felix works as well when he feels older than Bond. Examples are GF and LTK. In contrast, Hedison works great opposite Moore in LALD.

I prefer M as the mentor(ish) to Bond, not Felix.
    talos7 wrote: »
    T

I respectfully disagree...I don't find Felix works as well when he feels older than Bond. Examples are GF and LTK. In contrast, Hedison works great opposite Moore in LALD.

I prefer M as the mentor(ish) to Bond, not Felix.

And I can appreciate that but I think that an actor like Hamm could bridge the two archetypes; he's older but still in his prime.