The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    No, sorry, I meant to say in my 8:57 pm posting (I hope yours shows the same time) that it is not a LALD setting at all. I suppose regarding the double-decker upper section you mean the bus on San Monique. No, it's not involved here.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Environment looks a little different, but I'll say Zorin and May Day attempting to drown Bond in Cubby's Rolls.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,701
    Sorry, not AVTAK.

Concentrate on the lower center, above the water.
    Does anybody want further hints?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Is it a cave?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It's giving me Dr. No vibes... but I doubt you'd be able to see where they hid underwater from Julius' guards and dogs from Street View.
    Is it a cave?
    It is also sort of a cave. |EDIT 07:33 pm: Or rather grotto.| But not only. And it is not from Dr. No.
    And as a reminder: My answer to @zebrafish yesterday, when he suggested it was maybe above the Iguazu Falls in MR:
    You're not entirely off. But I would rather hear from you what exactly this picture shows, and why. It is obviously not [showing] the Iguazu Falls...
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I'm going to take a guess: possibly Hai Fat's residence from TMWTGG?
    (well, probably not)
    No, it is not in Thailand.

Imagine a look at the "cave" from a different angle (the "correct" one is not available on Street View), with, say, a bunch of potted yuccas in the foreground...
    Still no takers? If you look at certain "Bond locations" websites it should be obvious...
    OK. Just to save this from oblivion (= page 2 of the topics list): Now imagine water coming out of the "cave", which it apparently didn't when Google Street View came by in 2009, and keep thinking of the yuccas in the foreground. And I guess "my friend Mathis" from the novels(!) would recognise it.
    A location from the novel Thunderball?
    Nope. It is strictly a movie location...just not what it seems, I suppose.
  • SeanoSeano Minnesota. No, it's not always cold.
    How about *below* the falls in MR after Bond lands the hang glider, where he spots the woman in white?
    That's pretty spot-on...but what is the location pictured, not just the location in the movie? In other words, where was this filmed? (Hint: the concrete location for the scene is not even listed in the "filming locations" on IMDb...but as I said, others have reported on it).
    It appears to be Caverne de la Cascade, part of Bois de Boulogne in Paris.
    Yeah, great...it is the Grande Cascade du Bois de Boulogne, with the caverne below it. MR was largely filmed at the studios of Boulogne-Billancourt, and they did film at some outside locations, like this one. The "cascade" (waterfall) was built artificially in the mid-1800s as part of the park, with the just-as-artificial "caverne" under it. While the sequence with Bond flying into Drax's lair was mainly composed from shots of the Iguazu falls on the Argentine/Brazilian border and the Tikal pyramids in Guatemala, the "white woman" shot was indeed filmed directly outside of Paris, around the corner from the studio.

This is how it looked (credit to screenmusings.org and EoN):

moonraker-6122kc04.jpg

Read more about it e.g. on https://huntingbond.com/bois-de-boulogne-moonraker/

I've only discovered that website recently and find it amazing.

Well, @Seano, though being an infrequent poster, maybe you can think of the next one.

OK, how about this one? The building at the center of this Google Earth image is a continuation novel location.

52565458787_576583f0c9_b.jpg
    Great, thanks! I'm not sure I have an idea whatsoever ;:-).
    Great trivia learned, thanks @j_w_pepper
    As I said before, I'm not very knowledgeable about the "continuation novels". Those that I have read (not nearly all) I have mostly forgotten. Still I'll try. Could this Google Earth shot be in a mediterranean country?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Same about the continuation novels; I've only read the more recent ones, I haven't even read Colonel Sun yet... :( True Bond fan? Probably not...
    I think it was @ringfire211, while still on the IMDb 007 board along with myself, who insisted that a True Bond Fan was defined strictly as someone who had Goldfinger among his top 3 movies. But maybe I'm confusing him with someone else in this regard. It's been almost six years. Just saying.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 41
    Seano wrote: »
    OK, how about this one? The building at the center of this Google Earth image is a continuation novel location.

52565458787_576583f0c9_b.jpg

OK, I'll give a couple of hints.

1.) It's not in the Mediterranean
    2.) It's from a Benson novel
    3.) Bond receives an unusual request from a woman here
    4.) Bond fulfills that request the next day (in his own way)
    Thanks. But I just looked it up in my bookshelf (had to). The only Benson I have is The Facts of Death. And it looks like I read it (a paperback of course). But even after reading the liner notes, I don't remember a damn thing about it. And it's only one out of six.
    TFOD is the correct book.
    Oh, lucky me, thanks! I once more leafed through TFOD. The only locations NOT in the Mediterranean seem to be in the US (mainly Texas) and UK. I did not believe it could be Texas because there seems not to be a single pick-up truck in the parking lot :-). But fortunately I checked anyway, and it is indeed Chuy's Restaurant, 1728 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78704, mentioned in Chapter 7.

As for the woman's request, do you mean the suggestion by Dr. Ashley Anderson that he apply to be a donor to her sperm bank? It was really only a question if he intended to, which he immediately denied. But he did visit the sperm bank the next day (Chapter 9), so I guess this is it.

I wouldn't have found it if you hadn't confirmed the book, though.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I think I wrote it before somewhere, but the irony is that there was not a single mention of the Bleuchamps being buried in a specific church before that quote in the movie, so this "revelation" comes out of the blue (or le bleu).

I have to correct my posting of November 28 after watching OHMSS tonight (Christmas is coming!), since for the first time I registered that at around 1h 06' into the movie, Bond actually does mention the Bleuchamps being buried at Augsburg Cathedral to Blofeld when first meeting him (except for the past movie, but that's a different story). But apparently those people offering transcripts of the film on the Web haven't heard it either so far, since searching for "cathedral" in those supposed OHMSS scripts lead to nothing except the "reveal".

I guess it's my turn, and I throw in an easy one (I think). A filming location.

pdc8vi3w.jpg