Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    talos7 wrote: »
    Nothing's certain for sure, but the rumour keeps gaining weight.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/aaron-taylor-johnson-reportedly-next-105030342.html

Gaining weight or just reverberating in an echo chamber?

Haha! It could be. But no one knows though.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,484
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/aaron-taylor-johnson-reportedly-next-105030342.html

I,'m going to be a little bold @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ and say I partly agree with you: the fans really don't know, but; in the film industry there has been zero buzz about Eon auditioning anyone at the moment, no news on writers or a script, nothing on potential directors and certainly zero word that someone was given the role (and although has been chosen, will wait until March or April for the announcement).
    Edit: as of this writing.
    peter wrote: »

I,'m going to be a little bold @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ and say I partly agree with you: the fans really don't know, but; in the film industry there has been zero buzz about Eon auditioning anyone at the moment, no news on writers or a script, nothing on potential directors and certainly zero word that someone was given the role (and although has been chosen, will wait until March or April for the announcement).
    Edit: as of this writing.

Yeah @peter it's a questionable rumour for sure. Also, one which I've not fully immersed myself in, because it's not set in stone. Yeah, and all indications present it as uncertain. But one thing I took from it though is, it might be an indication that post-Craig, it's going to be very difficult keeping the identity of Bond 7 under wraps before he's announced.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Could be @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ ...

But I think a good thing to do when following the smoke to the fire: the source(s).

We can see this happening in real time with another film company: DC.

Like Eon, they're in transition and perhaps even recasting. But they won't recast until they set the direction they want to go in (sound familiar?).

The rumours about these recent upsets hit the industry, and then legitimate industry dailies obviously heard about the rumours.

These dailies quickly did their due diligence, checked with their insider sources, and reported the latest in the DC world .

But these same dailies (Hollywood Reporter, Deadline and its sister Variety), have also heard the latest 007 rumours, but have not reported anything that we discuss here. Why?

I'll take a stab in the dark and suggest that these three main players (as well as others of equal stature), checked with their sources and returned empty handed. There's nothing to report.

Once one of these outlets gets a sniff from their insiders about the new 007, they will report it. And they will want to be the FIRST to be the "breaking news" reporters, not the last.

Keep an eye out for what these guys are saying, and then we may be led to the fire that burns at Eon's HQ. But right now they're silent because, I'd wager, they genuinely have nothing to report (and notice they haven't, to date, repeated the rumours circulating on IG accounts or info provided by the smaller publications (like The Sun, et Al).

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah if those three report something I take it seriously, not sure there are any others where I do to be honest. I know folks say The Mail often has good showbiz stuff but I don't trust it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Exactly @mtm ... They don't need the clicks, unless they have evidence supported stories (doing a quick search on their sites reveal they've discussed everything from streaming Bond films, to Bond producers want to figure out villain before casting, to an interview with Sope D, to how the writers came up with a new finale for Skyfall); all these other publications want and need the clicks or likes and therefore plow straight ahead and cut n paste the original story from The Sun.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Creasy47 wrote: »

My money's on the latter. It all goes back to that Instagram post, and somehow went from "he had a great screentest" to "he's been cast." Plus, it's Yahoo. They haven't been reputable in ages (case in point here).

True. I'm not sure any of this is reliable information. That said, ATJ is an interesting choice. He's only 32 (hard to believe considering he's already had a long list of pretty good roles in big films). Like Craig before Bond, much of ATJ's work has been in a supporting role. But also...
    • He is married to Sam Taylor-Johnson who directed Daniel Craig in the International Women's Day spot in which Bond is in drag.
    • Sam Taylor-Johnson also did a few photo shoots with Craig, which produced one fairly famous image (below) that was used as a large wall hanging in Flashbacks of a Fool.
    • ATJ starred in (and received a Golden Globe for) Tom Ford's Nocturnal Animals. And as we all know, Craig has a pretty solid working relationship with Tom Ford.

bc22a04cb674b340aff1e02bb6d1d2ae.jpg

Yeah @peter sounds like it. Well, with each passing day, we're getting closer to Bond 7 & Bond 26...since NTTD is now a year old.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'm next.

That s interesting. Will you wear the Batman suit as Bond? It will set you apart from the ones who came before you, so I strongly recommend it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm next.

That s interesting. Will you wear the Batman suit as Bond? It will set you apart from the ones who came before you, so I strongly recommend it.

💯 % in agreement.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Regardless of how concrete all the ATJ rumours are (I don't think there's any weight to them personally) it's nice to have something to chat about in this thread again.

I wonder if we'll hear rumours of who has done screentests next year? Or whether we'll have to guess
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,930
    I think it'll be super tight and we're unlikely to hear. The audition candidates for Bond #6 only leaked once I think and we've not heard much more that even in the 15-odd years since.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Yeah that's true mate, we've barely heard about the other auditions from 2005, aside from Cavill and that's only because he talks about it constantly

I imagine the process this time will be even more tricky, not only are they replacing a fantastic Bond who was loved but they're following the most crushing Bond film in history. Bond #7 needs to be a great and Bond 26 needs to be a classic
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes very true, and they need to find a new and fresh angle on it. I don't envy them at all! :)
    Well, okay, maybe I'd like their money :D
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    not only are they replacing a fantastic Bond who was loved but they're following the most crushing Bond film in history. Bond #7 needs to be a great and Bond 26 needs to be a classic
    Exactly right, Jordo. Big shoes to fill and a hell of a lot riding on the outcome. They know that too, so hopefully they won't half-ass any aspect of it. I'm sure there's a Purvis and Wade gag to be inserted at this point, but I've been up since half-five so I'm flagging a bit... ;)
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Not big on ATJ. He has an odd way about him. When Craig was cast I was all for him, but after the last decade or so of subversion and deconstruction, I think they need an actor who is undeniably appropriate for the role, and not someone they have to forcibly mold into being like James Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    So you saw NTTD @slide_99 ?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Craigs lacks both the daring, suave aspect of bond as well as the humour/irreverent aspect and that's why I think turner is the ideal choice to take over the role. bond fans are all dying for a film with a proper gunbarrel at the start, a roaring rendition of the bond theme layered throughout, an actual up-beat song for once and a fully capable, modern bond. We need someone with the same showman qualities of Moore, Brosnan and Connery, who are as good as ambassadors as they are playing him on screen, and you can clearly see how aidan turner is the most self-depricating, down to earth gent you're ever likely to meet from his interviews. I think if The Suspect, Poldark and ATTWN have shown us anything its that Turner has all the commanding presence to pull off bond, he has the dangerous aura mixed with a cheery, affable demeanour, perfect to play both the outward facing facade who charms at parties and the inward calculating mind that drinks alone in his hotel room at 2am.

Welcome back after some absence, dear @Mendes4Lyfe You are a 1000% on point, like the page count, nearly, of this rather interesting thread. I couldn't have written it better. Hopefully EoN realises this as well and ditch the younger Bond route. At about 40 Turner is perfect.

I have to hand it to you two, keeping this up for, what is it, three, four years now? Is quite impressive. I actually at one point thought you guys were one..

But dispite your tenacity as fand pulling the bandwagon, I still don't see it. I just don't think he's good enough, and your assessment that fans need a 'lighter' Bond, is not one I share. Craig had plenty of humour, a bit too much in the last two films if you ask me. Aidan is just too lightweight imo. Same goes for Cavill. I don't think he's a bad actor, far from it. But he isn't that good either, risking a rather two-dimensional Bond. That was, in the end, also Brosnan's problem and though that worked in the nineties, that day and age is long gone.

I'm glad by now some other names are popping up, and both Aaron Taylor Johnson and Theo James seem interesting enough to be considered. But I haven't seen enough of them to make up my mind at all. ATJ sure has the look though and I wouldn't mind someone with a less bulky look. After all, the literary Bond was strong, but not overtly so. Allthough I'll leave the expertese on training over to the @talos7 's of this world, who know far more about it than me.

A very reasonable post and I assure you we are two different people, haha. I have to be honest and thought the same about other members here, but was proven incorrect. All good.

One big happy Bond family now.

Well I definately posted it with the fullest respect for your dedication. It even made me waver on the Aidan front just to see you two rejoyce. But as said before, I just don't think he suits the suit. He's hansom for sure, but that's only half the story. Anyway, the rest has been said already, so I'll leave it at that.

When considering any new candidate I think it's good to remember why Broccoli choce Daniel. It wasn't his looks, it was his 'presence' (her word). She spoke it after seeing him walk (as a monk in some film or other). And tbh, he does command the screen. So perhaps that should be part of any consideration if we're doing any educated guesses.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,930
    Yes I definitely want someone who can command the screen as a top priority. Someone who looks a bit like Sean Connery: very much not the most important thing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes I definitely want someone who can command the screen as a top priority. Someone who looks a bit like Sean Connery: very much not the most important thing.

This... And I think we can all guess and say this is the priority for Eon and partners: a man who can fill the screen, have a magnetism where you don't want to take your eyes off of him, but also be the face of the franchise and take on duties outside of the films (the responsibilities of the actor doesn't end with the final scene, its about promoting the brand in other ways... It's a full time job, 😂)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sope Disiru has these qualities. Unlike most of the other candidates.
    He’s a strong male, confident and self assured, with the ability to take care of himself, without being overly beefed up.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Benny wrote: »
    Sope Disiru has these qualities. Unlike most of the other candidates.
    He’s a strong male, confident and self assured, with the ability to take care of himself, without being overly beefed up.

💯 % agreed.

The other actors brought up on here just don’t seem to have this cool confidence. However, I think Hoult, in other ways, would be an incredible ambassador for the brand. Charming and eloquent and has an easy way with media.

Sope is by far my personal favourite— and not because he’d be Craig 2.0 (this is a flawed theory… there’s only one Craig, only one Moore, only one Connery. We’ve seen what happened when one doesn’t necessarily play the part, but tried to blend what came before— it’s limiting and quickly burns its welcome out in many circles. It’s also not genuine); but Hoult would certainly be a strong candidate, in my opinion.
  • Camera work didn't go as planned, however still a fun drive around town.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,923
    Univex wrote: »
    What makes someone the best man for the job, anyway? Valid questions, I think. Why not list qualities we think make for the best contender?
    I still hold firmly to the Gogol Criteria, as proposed a while back by our colleague, the General. I think he nailed it, bang on. We've gone over them a few times, but I think a prospective Bond should hit two out of the three Criteria to get a screentest and all three to make it onto the shortlist. At the moment, I've only got Sope nailing all three.

• edited December 2022 Posts: 21
    RJP banned all Bond questions from his interviews and attended a Knives Out premiere that DC missed with a cold. Reminds me of ATJ at the Bond concert. What do you guys make of it?

Bonus video of him taking the piss!
  • AmericanBondFan1994AmericanBondFan1994 Milford, Michigan

I still hold firmly to the Gogol Criteria, as proposed a while back by our colleague, the General. I think he nailed it, bang on. We've gone over them a few times, but I think a prospective Bond should hit two out of the three Criteria to get a screentest and all three to make it onto the shortlist. At the moment, I've only got Sope nailing all three.

[/quote]

What were those 3 qualities? Honestly sope is the only one I truly want to see take up the mantle?
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,363
    I would like Bond 7 to be very slick in all his doings and most of the time, would like him in a suit. Let him really show the spy part of 007 to the fullest. He doesn't necessarily needs to be a brute, but still a man of action. He should display unique intellect that surprises the baddies and femme fatales when they think they've figured him out. I think Bond 7 won't have to copy Craig's Bond or be like him, with traits like those.
    What were those 3 qualities? Honestly sope is the only one I truly want to see take up the mantle?
    The General suggested that prospective candidates for the next Bond should be judged on three criteria:
    1. Could he hold his own in a dramatic scene with Mads Mikkelson?
    2. Could he seduce (a 30-year-old) Monica Bellucci?
    3. Could he put up a fight against Dave Bautista?
    I'd like the next Bond to be capable of all of those things and they seem to me to be a pretty good way of narrowing the field down to the best candidates. 'Best' being entirely subjective, though, obvs - while these work for me, they obviously won't work for someone who wants a more left-field reinvention. Which could be EON, who knows!

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,869
    The only thing with those questions is that some of them don't even apply to previous actors. The only two actors I think could, and one of them did, hold their own against Mikkelsen is Craig and Dalton. Craig and Connery in my eyes are the only ones that could believably put up a fight against Bautista, and the only actor I couldn't believe seducing Bellucci is Roger Moore.

But if we're bringing it round to Aaron Taylor-Johnson, could he do all those things? I think so. He's held his own against actors like Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon, Glenn Close, Keira Knightley, Jude Law, Billy Bob Thornton, Ralph Fiennes, Brad Pitt and more.

He's a very attractive and charming man who I'm sure could convincingly seduce Bellucci, and I think in comparison to other Bond actors, I think he could believably put up a fight against Bautista and could even be more convincing than Craig on that front, even though Spectre wasn't really a great example of showing an actor besting Bautista...

I will also just say, personally, I think the only actor I've seen mentioned recently that couldn't do any of those 3, for now, is Thomas Doherty.
    Yeah, it's true that some past Bonds wouldn't meet all three of those tests. But Craig's raised the bar, no? Hopefully permanently. Agreed that ATJ would come out well if judged on these tests, though.