Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

If they are looking for a white actor in a similar age range, then surely Jack O'Connell is the man? He isn't seen as the British Robert De Niro for any old reason.
    While he does have the look, wasn't it said by some people here he's probably too short for the role? That aside, he could be a very good contender.
    MV5BZWRmZDIyYjUtMjE0ZS00ZGVlLWJkMDQtYWQ2NWMxOTFlYWU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BMzRkNTQzZGItZGJmZi00OTkzLTg2NjMtY2YzYWMyNTczOTZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_.jpg

Yeah, height's been a whole thing with some of these picks. I don't think it matters here really.

As @Pierce2Daniel said, O'Connell's a very talented British actor whose acting style has been compared to De Niro. Marlon Brando is another comparison I've seen, sensationalist as critics can be (interestingly, I know he was the same height, if not a bit shorter than O'Connell, which I never noticed watching his early film roles. It's the same with certain actors, the way they carry themselves along with some camera angles can make audiences believe they're 6 foot).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    O'Connell has been amazing in Rogue Heroes; you certainly wouldn't cross him.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 784
    The most encouraging thing about Aaron Taylor-Johnson's name is the fact that Eon want a younger Bond. Which is great news! I think the 'Old Bond' being retired/past his prime/etc had run its course. However, personally, I hope they go a tad younger and my top choice remains Aaron Pierre......

f5b131586829d252a55ff54ed0a4fc66.jpg

Aaron Pierre looks good in that pic.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The British tabloids tend to get it right when it comes to Bond. It is for this reason that I am a little uninspired by Aaron Taylor-Johnson's name being thrown into the mix. He seems to me to be a mix between Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan. There is something a little bland and middle-of-the-road about his casting. He has more often than not been flat in the films I have seen him in. However, he was really fantastic in Nocturnal Animals. So perhaps he just needs the right role to really show what he's got.

If they are looking for a white actor in a similar age range, then surely Jack O'Connell is the man? He isn't seen as the British Robert De Niro for any old reason.

CHATTERLEY_041022_DF-01708_R.jpg
    Chatterley_191022_L1450350-2.jpg
    bfifestival.jpgChatterley_191022_DSCF7118-2.jpg
    SAS-Rogue-Heroes-jack-o-connell-paddy-mayne-4409706.jpg?r=1669044325645

The most encouraging thing about Aaron Taylor-Johnson's name is the fact that Eon want a younger Bond. Which is great news! I think the 'Old Bond' being retired/past his prime/etc had run its course. However, personally, I hope they go a tad younger and my top choice remains Aaron Pierre......

f5b131586829d252a55ff54ed0a4fc66.jpg

Never heard of this guy. Is he any use?
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Sam Claflin
    He definitely has the right look... But he will be 40 by 2026 and I fear it's already too old for Eon. Same problem with Turner or Jamie Dornan who are already 40.
    1637372785-capture-d-ecran-2021-11-20-a-02-35-11.png
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Sam Claflin
    He definitely has the right look... But he will be 40 by 2026 and I fear it's already too old for Eon. Same problem with Turner or Jamie Dornan who are already 40.
    1637372785-capture-d-ecran-2021-11-20-a-02-35-11.png

Claflin is a choice I can certaintly agree with. Even at his age. EON will simply have to consider whether it wants to share its bed with the same actor for 10, 12, 14... years.

Personally, I appreciate seeing an actor grow in the part over the span of at least 4 or 5 films. If they do one film every 2 or so years, then Claflin may not be too old yet. (Remember, 50 is the new 40.) But if they space them out the way they have in recent times -- not entirely by their own volition, mind -- then yes, going much younger is necessary.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

O'Connell is a fine actor, though his height, regardless of ability might be an issue with some. Look how it went for Craig for a while.
    I'm not getting a Bond vibe from Aaron Pierre I'm afraid @Pierce2Daniel, he's a little too pretty imo, he looks like he'd be more comfortable on the catwalk, than saving the world.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It should still be this guy. He is everything Bond needs to be, also charisma in spades, very good in interviews and a fun guy in general. It still doesn't get any better. Sorry, not sorry.

His name is almost a meme around here of late, but he is still genuinely my 2nd choice (or 1st if Cavill is out of the running).

tumblr_inline_oen80cz4bs1tae3h3_250.gifv

It's Bond.
    Not too familiar with Aaron Pierre but I get what is meant by him looking rather 'pretty'. That's not to say that this is a bad thing nor does it disqualify him for Bond (he's certainly a handsome, objectively masculine looking man). It's more about how he'd adapt himself to the role.

That said I'll go with my gut and say what I usually do about such actors with a history of playing intense roles - I'd be more interested in seeing him play a villain, not necessarily Bond.
  • Sean Teal and Thomas Dougherty both look like they could be the sons or grandsons of Sean Connery.
    I'll add Tom Bateman to the list.
    Im not sure how old he is but Ben Starr should get a look.

My favorite remains Aidan Turner.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Here's a what-if: What if the Aaron Taylor-Johnson story is an intentional story plant by the studio to test the waters of casting him, before they ever sign any deal? Could you blame them for wondering how he'd go over?

I do feel like Turner and some others are worthy of a screen test. Apparently ATJ can work a room, but who works on screen?
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Here's a what-if: What if the Aaron Taylor-Johnson story is an intentional story plant by the studio to test the waters of casting him, before they ever sign any deal? Could you blame them for wondering how he'd go over?

I do feel like Turner and some others are worthy of a screen test. Apparently ATJ can work a room, but who works on screen?

I'm not sure if even EON go to those lengths to test the waters. It really wouldn't tell them anything anyway because it doesn't matter what the public thinks about the actor before they appear/are seen onscreen. The real test is how they are received when the film comes out.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    007HallY wrote: »

I'm not sure if even EON go to those lengths to test the waters. It really wouldn't tell them anything anyway because it doesn't matter what the public thinks about the actor before they appear/are seen onscreen. The real test is how they are received when the film comes out.

I was more thinking all of the new heads at Amazon/MGM. The Sony emails revealed just how meddling execs can be with Eon.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m open to ATJ.
    Aaron Taylor Johnson seems odd to me

Like I remember him in Godzilla but I don’t remember him in Godzilla if that makes sense
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Aaron Taylor Johnson seems odd to me

Like I remember him in Godzilla but I don’t remember him in Godzilla if that makes sense

I Absolutely agree. Bryan Cranston completely overshadowed him. The film plummeted with Cranston’s early exit.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, I watched it a bit longer but ATJ was so much of a void after Cranston’s engaging hero that I gave up and turned it off.
    So I would not be without concern if he was a front runner.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    @Risico007 @talos7 100% agree on both counts.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    ATJ wouldn’t make my top five actors to become Bond #7.
    He’s a fine actor, but I don’t see him as Bond.
    That being said, if he was cast, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt, until after he’d made his debut film.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

I was more thinking all of the new heads at Amazon/MGM. The Sony emails revealed just how meddling execs can be with Eon.

I’d say that’s absolutely possible. But equally possible is that someone from his team is „leaking“ this to raise his profile and get headwind in some other negotiations. Or maybe even to get him into the conversation at Eon, but I hope they aren’t that stupid. I don’t think producers like those kinds of games all that much.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Johnson is probably going to be asked about Bond a lot in interviews, until Bond 7 is announced. Of course, even if he's the one, he's going to play coy.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I was thinking about ATJ and the fact that he's been in a few commercial film series. Then it hit me that with the exception of Lazenby, all Bonds had been in somewhat commercial projects before being cast as 007. I'm thinking Darby O'Gill, Ivanhoe, Flash Gordon, Remington Steele, Tomb Raider, ... Roger in particular had played several 'big' roles; he was in The Saint, The Persuaders, Maverick, ... So the fact that ATJ was Kick-Ass at some point, and has been seen in other commercial projects, doesn't strike me as a problem as such.

Looking back, no Bond was ever truly an unknown, was he? (Except Lazenby.) Although Connery appears to have been largely under the radar before DN.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I was thinking about ATJ and the fact that he's been in a few commercial film series. Then it hit me that with the exception of Lazenby, all Bonds had been in somewhat commercial projects before being cast as 007. I'm thinking Darby O'Gill, Ivanhoe, Flash Gordon, Remington Steele, Tomb Raider, ... Roger in particular had played several 'big' roles; he was in The Saint, The Persuaders, Maverick, ... So the fact that ATJ was Kick-Ass at some point, and has been seen in other commercial projects, doesn't strike me as a problem as such.

Looking back, no Bond was ever truly an unknown, was he? (Except Lazenby.) Although Connery appears to have been largely under the radar before DN.

I think as Bond fans we tend to forget or at least underestimate just how unusual Lazenby's casting was. No acting experience is one thing (honestly, along with Lazenby's lack of onscreen charisma this element doesn't help an otherwise solid film) but having no experience with that industry at all is another. It factored into the decisions Lazenby made in terms of renewing his contract, some of the on-set tensions he had with crew/actors etc. I suspect it was a lesson for Cubby and was a major factor in Moore's casting - don't simply cast the good looking unknown who walks into the audition office, otherwise the series as a whole could suffer.
    Benny wrote: »
    ATJ wouldn’t make my top five actors to become Bond #7.
    He’s a fine actor, but I don’t see him as Bond.
    That being said, if he was cast, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt, until after he’d made his debut film.
    I agree I rewatched the Godzilla trailer last night and just wasn’t blown away but Aaron Taylor Johnson apparently he was in avengers age of Ultron but I don’t remember him there either….

But let’s say it’s a done deal and he is cast tomorrow I would give his films the benefit of the doubt and watch them
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,934

I think as Bond fans we tend to forget or at least underestimate just how unusual Lazenby's casting was. No acting experience is one thing (honestly, along with Lazenby's lack of onscreen charisma this element doesn't help an otherwise solid film) but having no experience with that industry at all is another. It factored into the decisions Lazenby made in terms of renewing his contract, some of the on-set tensions he had with crew/actors etc. I suspect it was a lesson for Cubby and was a major factor in Moore's casting - don't simply cast the good looking unknown who walks into the audition office, otherwise the series as a whole could suffer.

Promotion-wise Lazenby also sounds like he was a nightmare- he grew his beard and hair apparently just to spite the producers (I think it was unreasonable of them to ask that he stayed looking like Bond, but regardless); talked about US Government complicity in the assassination of JFK on a TV show as part of the promo(!); then went on his own unofficial, privately funded promotional tour of the US when they said they didn't want him to do it. As you say, there's a standard of professionalism you get when you hire someone with a bit of experience.

Also, hearing about Craig talking about his experiences making these things, it sounds like a different level from how it used to be; how constantly busy he was, associating with the entire crew etc. I don't think a beginner could do it now, and that's before you get to the actual acting side of it.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 3,333
    Having taken a brief hiatus I thought I'd rejoin the conversation on Aaron Taylor Johnson's rumoured screen-test. Do I believe it? As a matter of fact, I do believe it. I think this gives us a much clearer insight as to the type of actor EON are going for as 007 in Bond 26. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that ATJ is probably the most wildly known out of the screen-tested candidates so far, which might explain why his name has leaked ahead of the others.

Whilst I'm slightly ambivalent to ATJ as the final choice—his David Beckham high-pitched voice and lack of height is my main concern—I do like everything else about him. He's a very good actor, although his strengths do appear to lie in playing quirky, oddball characters rather than the strong, stoic male lead type. As others have pointed out, who truly remembers his bland performance in 2014's Godzilla as Lieutenant Brody Ford? No, me neither.

Anyway, I'm not here to knock Aaron Taylor Johnson as I think he has the potential to go on and deliver a very good performance as Bond, depending on the final script, of course.

No, I thought I'd take this opportunity to throw in a few other British actor names of a similar age that could be screen-testing alongside ATJ for the role. I've only managed to come up with four names myself, those being Alex Roe, Tom Hughes, Sean Teal (as mentioned above by @parkert5) and Jack Reynor. I'm sure there are others, but I've yet to see any real suitable candidates.

I also think ATJ puts to bed any hope of Henry Cavill or Aidan Turner being screen-tested for the role, which was pretty much what I'd been told from an insider who will have to remain anonymous. (Those of you that I've confided in will know who I'm referencing). Anyway, we'll find out more about Bond 26 in the coming months.

Until then, sayōnara.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 2,877
    mtm wrote: »

Promotion-wise Lazenby also sounds like he was a nightmare- he grew his beard and hair apparently just to spite the producers (I think it was unreasonable of them to ask that he stayed looking like Bond, but regardless); talked about US Government complicity in the assassination of JFK on a TV show as part of the promo(!); then went on his own unofficial, privately funded promotional tour of the US when they said they didn't want him to do it. As you say, there's a standard of professionalism you get when you hire someone with a bit of experience.

Also, hearing about Craig talking about his experiences making these things, it sounds like a different level from how it used to be; how constantly busy he was, associating with the entire crew etc. I don't think a beginner could do it now, and that's before you get to the actual acting side of it.

I think the hair and beard was more a big deal for the time. I'm sure a future actor could promote the next Bond film with a beard/bit of stubble nowadays and it's likely that will happen. But yeah, conspiracy theories and going on your own promo tours are generally a no-no, haha!

It's definitely not easy-going for an actor, both in terms of promotion and the filming. Even looking specifically at the acting side, Hunt apparently had difficulties with Lazenby. Lazenby would get frustrated because he'd essentially be asked to various things like Connery - little gestures, looks etc. While it's perhaps not the best approach to take with a first time actor, a more experienced actor such as Moore was at least able to bring his own idiosyncrasies to the role which influenced how his Bond was written. Even if Lazenby had wanted to, it's doubtful whether he would have been able to bring those unique nuances to the role.
    I hate to be pedantic about such things, but Reynor isn't British.

True, he's Irish-American. Erase that name and replace it with Thomas Doherty then ;)
    bondsum wrote: »

True, he's Irish-American. Erase that name and replace it with Thomas Doherty then ;)

Doherty is a much better actor from what I've seen, anyway!