Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited November 2022 Posts: 2,753
    Ludovico wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    Problems with the 'voice' of the actor (if there even is one here, which is debatable to say the least) can be a bit like having an accent which isn't the same as the characters'. Most of the picks in this thread will have to in some way adapt their voice to Bond if they audition. Many have accents from regional parts of the UK which is very distinct from even Daniel Craig's (I know he's from Chester but much like Roger Moore's RADA influenced voice it's a very 'neutralised' accent). It'll probably be the same situation with pitch, so it really depends on the actor's ability to adapt their voice to their roles, and how expressive they are.

Anyway, I don't think Johnson is a sure bet. In fact I'd say he's unlikely to get the role even if he is actually auditioning. Still, good actor and I'm sure he could be involved in a Bond film even if he isn't our next lead.

Yes an actor modulates his voice in function of the character he plays, but it's easier if he's already a natural baritone. I'm not saying ATJ or any actor with a higher voice should not be Bond, but it's an aspect that will worry me.

Like I said I think it's more dependent on how expressive the actor is with their voice and how they adapt it to their role.

I mean, Robert Pattinson has a rather posh, public school, even high pitched voice. His Batman has a varied vocal range that goes from 'raspy and whispery' into 'gruff and threatening' which is unlike his own natural pitch. I'm sure there are other examples of actors with naturally less 'powerful' voices but have the ability to adapt them to their roles.
    Problems with the 'voice' of the actor (if there even is one here, which is debatable to say the least) can be a bit like having an accent which isn't the same as the characters'. Most of the picks in this thread will have to in some way adapt their voice to Bond if they audition. Many have accents from regional parts of the UK which is very distinct from even Daniel Craig's (I know he's from Chester but much like Roger Moore's RADA influenced voice it's a very 'neutralised' accent). It'll probably be the same situation with pitch, so it really depends on the actor's ability to adapt their voice to their roles, and how expressive they are.

Anyway, I don't think Johnson is a sure bet. In fact I'd say he's unlikely to get the role even if he is actually auditioning. Still, good actor and I'm sure he could be involved in a Bond film even if he isn't our next lead.

Yes an actor modulates his voice in function of the character he plays, but it's easier if he's already a natural baritone. I'm not saying ATJ or any actor with a higher voice should not be Bond, but it's an aspect that will worry me.

Like I said I think it's more dependent on how expressive the actor is with their voice and how they adapt it to their role.

I mean, Robert Pattinson has a rather posh, public school, even high pitched voice. His Batman has a varied vocal range that goes from 'raspy and whispery' into 'gruff and threatening' which is unlike his own natural pitch. I'm sure there are other examples of actors with naturally less 'powerful' voices but have the ability to adapt them to their roles.

Oh it can be said of a lot of actors: David Suchet for instance has a deep and manly voice, while his Poirot is rather high pitched. I'm not so sure going from high to low is as easy though. Pattinson notwithstanding.

Oh it can be said of a lot of actors: David Suchet for instance has a deep and manly voice, while his Poirot is rather high pitched. I'm not so sure going from high to low is as easy though. Pattinson notwithstanding.

Depends on the actor. I mean, look at someone like Marlon Brando. He actually had a rather high pitched voice - nasal almost, certainly mumbly. Not only was he able to lower it for certain roles but his expression as an actor allowed him to adapt that voice to whatever role he was playing. He could be commanding in tone, forceful, emotional etc.

Depends on the actor. I mean, look at someone like Marlon Brando. He actually had a rather high pitched voice - nasal almost, certainly mumbly. Not only was he able to lower it for certain roles but his expression as an actor allowed him to adapt that voice to whatever role he was playing. He could be commanding in tone, forceful, emotional etc.

Maybe it's like baldness: a bald actor does not equal a bald Bond. You do bring solid arguments, but I can only go with what I see and hear from the actor himself.

Maybe it's like baldness: a bald actor does not equal a bald Bond. You do bring solid arguments, but I can only go with what I see and hear from the actor himself.

It might well be like that. Connery apparently was noticeably balding even before DN without his toupee. Hell, the guy had a Scottish accent - it's actually a bit weird that he was cast as an English 'gentleman' spy like Bond. But he was.

Casting is tricky in general, especially with major films (which I have no experience of, proffesionally speaking). With James Bond it's especially hard. My unfounded gut instinct is that the next actor may have to adapt themselves for the role more than what we've seen in the past - put on an accent, change up their usual appearance a bit more etc.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is quite curious that Broccoli and Saltzman let Connery stay Scottish really, isn't it? Considering he wasn't a star at that point, has anything been said about whether they considered making him do the accent?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,518
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/will-poulter-interview-james-bond-2022

Not advocating for him as Bond, but an interesting article regardless. Interesting that he seems to think Nomi will be sticking around; personally I doubt it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2022 Posts: 5,834
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/will-poulter-interview-james-bond-2022
    Not advocating for him as Bond, but an interesting article regardless.
    Interesting, especially his comment regarding Lashana Lynch. He seems to be under the impression that she'll continue in her role as Nomi, or he hasn't seen No Time To Die yet?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,351
    Would be quite something if the thing we most look forward to in a first trailer would be the voice! Forget the villain's plot, what frequency did he hit for his Bond, James Bond??

Edit: Doesn’t anyone have something about his height? Or his teeth? Maybe some deep psychologising about his ability to seduce Monica Bellucci?
    mtm wrote: »
    It is quite curious that Broccoli and Saltzman let Connery stay Scottish really, isn't it? Considering he wasn't a star at that point, has anything been said about whether they considered making him do the accent?

I don't think Connery was ever able to do accents even then. I suppose a part of Terrence Young's 'training' with Connery (the suits, the refinement etc) was to help him neutralise his accent. Not much else you can do I suppose.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I have to say, the media may force Eon's hand whether they want to cast soon or not.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I have to say, the media may force Eon's hand whether they want to cast soon or not.

I don’t think anyone is going to force Eon’s hand.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    talos7 wrote: »

Sorry for daring to suggest it.

Sorry for daring to suggest it.

Oh please 🙄
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I wonder who will be screen tested?
    There was 8 to 10 screen tested in 2005 wasn't there?
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder who will be screen tested?
    There was 8 to 10 screen tested in 2005 wasn't there?

I think only that many were confirmed to have tested (Craig, Cavill, Alex O'Loughlin, Julian McMahon, Anthony Starr, Sam Worthington etc.) The actual number may be as high as 40 actors before it was whittled down to the final few.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I know he's had a pretty weak career in some respects but I also would've really loved seeing what McMahon could've done with the role.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I know he's had a pretty weak career in some respects but I also would've really loved seeing what McMahon could've done with the role.
    Yes, definitely a charming Bastard; perfect for the role.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2022 Posts: 5,834
    Denbigh wrote: »
    So I'd certainly say (at this stage) these are my top five actors for the role...

XvcbXAD.jpg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
    So I wonder who from my top five will be rumoured next? ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yes, definitely a charming Bastard; perfect for the role.

Incredibly smooth and charming but would know when to turn up the intensity and fervor when it was called for. If only.
    Of course it's difficult to tell without having seen the auditions, but I do get the sense that the 2005 lot was a bit underwhelming really, except for Craig (Sam Worthington is barely an actor to put it nicely). I can see why the producers said he stood out from his first audition. I reckon the competition will be tighter this time round and they'll have some good performers to sift through.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    doubleoego wrote: »
    CrabKey wrote: »
    For me the search for a new James Bond always comes down to finding the next Sean Connery. IMO, that has never happened. I do like GL, TD, and DC, but they were never Connery. All these years on, when I rewatch those SC films I continue to be impressed by how watchable he is, even when he is apparently not engaged, according to those who harp on about his obvious boredom in some films. Connery seemed to inhabit the role in ways other actors did not. RM was fun, but never convincing. He always seemed to be playing the role of Bond. He never owned the role. I continue to hope we'll find that actor who brings SC's qualities to the screen. But that might never happen. No doubt many actors would make a good JB, but an actor who brings to the screen what SC did may be a lot tougher find. My hope is there's that little known actor out there ready take on the role.
    Scottish actor Thomas Doherty:

TD%25201.jpeg

the-invitation-568x319.jpeg

Invitation_b-thumb-700xauto-245835.jpg

74a309700095c3e037f4818e9bb00d34d50db838.jpg

a2e6c348bcc84090cf2cfe7c1a78c8339f1f963a.jpg

I still hope it's this guy.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 175
    I still hope it's this guy.

Agreed. I still need to watch The Invitation, but he's the only candidate mentioned on here these days that gets me very excited at all. And he's only 27.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,318
    It should still be this guy. He is everything Bond needs to be, also charisma in spades, very good in interviews and a fun guy in general. It still doesn't get any better. Sorry, not sorry.

I realize that there was a point when this board reached Turner saturation, but be absolutely should be screentested .
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I realize that there was a point when this board reached Turner saturation, but be absolutely should be screentested .

Ha, well it's Sope who strikes the clock these days, so yeah, Turner time again ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm sure Sope and Aidan and a whole slew of actors will be lined up by EON to screentest.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Aidan and Sope are leagues ahead of whoever's trailing in third place, for me. I'd definitely pick one or the other, depending on what I wanted to do with the next Bond.
  • The British tabloids tend to get it right when it comes to Bond. It is for this reason that I am a little uninspired by Aaron Taylor-Johnson's name being thrown into the mix. He seems to me to be a mix between Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan. There is something a little bland and middle-of-the-road about his casting. He has more often than not been flat in the films I have seen him in. However, he was really fantastic in Nocturnal Animals. So perhaps he just needs the right role to really show what he's got.

If they are looking for a white actor in a similar age range, then surely Jack O'Connell is the man? He isn't seen as the British Robert De Niro for any old reason.

CHATTERLEY_041022_DF-01708_R.jpg
    Chatterley_191022_L1450350-2.jpg
    bfifestival.jpgChatterley_191022_DSCF7118-2.jpg
    SAS-Rogue-Heroes-jack-o-connell-paddy-mayne-4409706.jpg?r=1669044325645

The most encouraging thing about Aaron Taylor-Johnson's name is the fact that Eon want a younger Bond. Which is great news! I think the 'Old Bond' being retired/past his prime/etc had run its course. However, personally, I hope they go a tad younger and my top choice remains Aaron Pierre......

f5b131586829d252a55ff54ed0a4fc66.jpg
  • If they are looking for a white actor in a similar age range, then surely Jack O'Connell is the man? He isn't seen as the British Robert De Niro for any old reason.
    While he does have the look, wasn't it said by some people here he's probably too short for the role? That aside, he could be a very good contender.
    MV5BZWRmZDIyYjUtMjE0ZS00ZGVlLWJkMDQtYWQ2NWMxOTFlYWU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BMzRkNTQzZGItZGJmZi00OTkzLTg2NjMtY2YzYWMyNTczOTZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_.jpg