The Film Noir Thread

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Never heard of Mandrake the Magician - but having checked, yes, that's him for sure!
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 15,785
    Here's one I got in the mail today. Enjoying it as I speak.

MV5BNmU2NGM2MDAtMTI4Mi00N2NiLWFkOWEtMzliYmM3ZDYzMDIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTEwNDcxNDc@._V1_.jpg

Being a big Gene Tierney fan this is one that eluded me for some time, so I ordered it online.
    In some aspects it plays like a serial adventure, exotic drama more than a noir, but the darkness of the characters, particulalry Tierney's I think makes it just qualify.
    All star ensemble and almost has a CASABLANCA feel.
    I'm loving it!

shanghaigesture1941_1024x767_03042013103736.jpg

gene-tierney-in-the-shanghai-gesture-1941--album.jpg

MV5BNTAyZjVhNDctYmQ0YS00NDRjLThjNjMtMzYyZmRkNjFlNWY0L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @ToTheRight. The lovely Gene Tierney is always welcomed, irrespective of the film genre.

I see that THE SHANGHAI GESTURE features Walter Huston (father of John Huston) and Victor Mature. Given that I’m going through a bit of a Lizabeth Scott infatuation at the moment, I just watched Mature and Scott (and Lucille Ball !) in EASY LIVING (1949). It’s interesting to see Ms. Scott seeming invent the “WAG” type character before our very eyes.
    easyliving1949.73852.jpg

I’ll have more to say on Thursday (9/29), which would have been Ms. Scott’s 101th birthday.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @ToTheRight. The lovely Gene Tierney is always welcomed, irrespective of the film genre.

I see that THE SHANGHAI GESTURE features Walter Huston (father of John Huston) and Victor Mature. Given that I’m going through a bit of a Lizabeth Scott infatuation at the moment, I just watched Mature and Scott (and Lucille Ball !) in EASY LIVING (1949). It’s interesting to see Ms. Scott seeming invent the “WAG” type character before our very eyes.
    easyliving1949.73852.jpg

I’ll have more to say on Thursday (9/29), which would have been Ms. Scott’s 101th birthday.

Big fan of Liabeth Scott, too. She's great alongside Bogie in DEAD RECKONING .
    I'll have to look for EASY LIVING. Can't go wrong with Victor Mature.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,600
    Today, September 29th would have been actress Lizabeth Scott’s 100th or 101st birthday (sources differ). Although the studio attempted to make her out to be another Lauren Becall or Veronica Lake, Ms. Scott had a style that was (IMO) unique. With her smokey voice and deep eyes she certainly was a presence (a young Sybill Shepherd and her could have played sisters!). So, to celebrate the actress nicknamed “The Threat”:

lizabeth-scott-black-evening-dress-bogie.jpeg?w=640

MV5BMjEyOTc2ODkzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjMwMTI2._V1_.jpg

racket3.jpg?w=400&h=200&crop=1

c65fe802bd2fd7bb38a911ce89e3cf9b--cool-blonde-lizabeth-scott.jpg

Shutterstock_3230628a.jpg

And a couple of recent articles on her life:
    https://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/a-mid-20th-century-hollywood-star-i-came-to-know/
    https://www.factinate.com/people/facts-lizabeth-scott/
    And the first part (of 8) of a video interview that she did in the mid 1990s.

And while opinions differ about her acting abilities, apparently, in her later years she was a ferocious reader. So, if nothing else, she’s ok in my book. Plus, PITFALL and TOO LATE For TEARS. :D
    Can't go wrong with Lizabeth Scott. I'm a big fan. Some many cool noirs she's in.
    Also liked her in the Elvis movie, LOVING YOU.

I just got this in the mail today from a friend (as I recuperate)........

738329259068.jpg

Very nice @ToTheRight. The legendary John Garfield is electric in HE RAN ALL THE WAY. Enjoy!!!!
    Very nice @ToTheRight. The legendary John Garfield is electric in HE RAN ALL THE WAY. Enjoy!!!!

Watching that one today. I loved STORM FEAR. BIG HOUSE USA is great, too. Great emsemble cast: Broderick Crawford, Charles Bronson, Reed Hadley, rtc,
    At one point you get two Mike Hammers in one scene- Ralph Meeker and Robert bray.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    BasicInstinct_4KScreengrab_001-2048x858.jpg
    I finally got round to watching the Neo Noir Basic Instinct in 4k which I bought some time ago. There are some genuinely great shot's in this film though maybe I am getting old the film is far more trashier than I remember to the point its unwatchable at times, though I suppose that's the point. Part way through the film I though I would rather watch a Dirty Harry film instead.
    I finally got round to watching the Neo Noir Basic Instinct in 4k which I bought some time ago. There are some genuinely great shot's in this film though maybe I am getting old the film is far more trashier than I remember to the point its unwatchable at times, though I suppose that's the point. Part way through the film I though I would rather watch a Dirty Harry film instead.

One movie I have yet to see. Eventually I'll get around to it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ToTheRight wrote: »

It is worth watching especially if you have not seen it, Paul Verhovan (Robocop, Starship Troopers and Total recall) directed the film, there are some great Noir elements throughout the film.

It is worth watching especially if you have not seen it, Paul Verhovan (Robocop, Starship Troopers and Total recall) directed the film, there are some great Noir elements throughout the film.

I've only seen bits and pieces, so it looks to be up my alley. The other day I nearly picked up what at first glance looked to be a new Blu ray of BASIC INSTINCT. Upon closer examination it turned out to be the sequel, so I passed on it. I bought Brian De Palma's DRESSED TO KILL instead.

I've only seen bits and pieces, so it looks to be up my alley. The other day I nearly picked up what at first glance looked to be a new Blu ray of BASIC INSTINCT. Upon closer examination it turned out to be the sequel, so I passed on it. I bought Brian De Palma's DRESSED TO KILL instead.

Dressed to Kill is a great film I am a big fan of De Palma and have the majoirty of his films. Basic Instinct 2 is terrible you were wise not to get it, if you do get Basic Instinct try to get the recently remastered version of the film it looks fantastic.

Dressed to Kill is a great film I am a big fan of De Palma and have the majoirty of his films. Basic Instinct 2 is terrible you were wise not to get it, if you do get Basic Instinct try to get the recently remastered version of the film it looks fantastic.

I loved DRESSED TO KILL. De Palma's great. Hadn't seen it before, and it hit the spot. I'll look for the remastered BASIC INSTINCT.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    As for Dressed to Kill, I think the solution is too obvious. But it's been a while since I watched it. I just don't seem to remember it in such high regard because of what I said above.
    'Dressed to Kill' is a superb thriller. Love Nancy Allen in it! 'Blow Out' is an underrated film of DePalma, Terrific cast of John Travolta, John Lithgow and Allen again, great suspense!
    Speaking of Lizabeth Scott, actress model Cara Delevingne certainly gives off similar vibes.
    MV5BM2U4NmUwODQtN2IwNC00MzE0LThmYmQtNTFlYTg0OTdjYzcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE1MTYxNDAw._V1_.jpg

BTW: Today, November 1st, is the start of the annual Noirvember celebrations.

That means this month is the perfect excuse to celebrate trenchcoated anti-heroes, voice over narrations, duplicitous dames, rain-soaked streets and shadows…lots and lots of shadows.

First Up. a rewatch of an old fav: DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
    tumblr_mzeatxiQ9m1sytwjuo1_500.gif

Speaking of Lizabeth Scott, actress model Cara Delevingne certainly gives off similar vibes.
    MV5BM2U4NmUwODQtN2IwNC00MzE0LThmYmQtNTFlYTg0OTdjYzcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE1MTYxNDAw._V1_.jpg

BTW: Today, November 1st, is the start of the annual Noirvember celebrations.

That means this month is the perfect excuse to celebrate trenchcoated anti-heroes, voice over narrations, duplicitous dames, rain-soaked streets and shadows…lots and lots of shadows.

First Up. a rewatch of an old fav: DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
    tumblr_mzeatxiQ9m1sytwjuo1_500.gif

Good shout on Delevingne, @Dwayne.
    I'll be enjoying several noir classics this month, no doubt.
    @ToTheRight. It’s the eyes (the mischievous look).
    lizabeth_scott.jpg
    @ToTheRight. It’s the eyes (the mischievous look).
    lizabeth_scott.jpg

Eyes, and a little bit in the jawline. She's probably be good casting if a bio pic were ever done on Scott.
    Today, November 14th, marks actress Veronica Lake's centennial (1922).
    VeronicaLake.jpg

At some point, I really need to re-watch The BLUE DAHLIA .
    Today, November 14th, marks actress Veronica Lake's centennial (1922).
    VeronicaLake.jpg

At some point, I really need to re-watch The BLUE DAHLIA .

Same. Been years. I'm watching THIS GUN FOR HIRE right now in honor of her 100th.
    . Although I can’t find the link at the moment, I’m reminded of something that I once read about the actresses that starred in the films of classic noir. To paraphrase:

…they were vastly underappreciated at the time, but over time fandom (and film criticism) finally caught up with them and allowed us to give them their well-deserved due. Long after they heyday, they still had a certain sparkle in their eyes that spoke to their former screen presence. **

** IIRC, I’m paraphrasing Glenn Erickson, but again, I can’t find the link at the moment. If not, I'll be happy to take credit for it!
    :D

I finally found the quote (and the link) and it is from Glenn Erickson:

Ms. Cummins’s career continued, but she wouldn’t be fully ‘discovered’ until a refined film fandom caught up with actresses like Ann Savage, Jean Gillie, Jane Greer, Marie Windsor and Audrey Totter. Even in their ‘sixties and ‘seventies, these women still had plenty of ‘it.’

https://trailersfromhell.com/gun-crazy/

And since I just saw her in TENSION (1949), how about a nice tribute to Audrey Totter.
    Audrey-Totter_79561.jpg

Audrey Totter's great. One of the best.
    FYI, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is broadcasting five (5) films centered on the Philip Marlowe character. All times EST and subject to change.

December 12th:
    8:00 PM MURDER, MY SWEET (1944) – Dick Powell (w/Claire Trevor)
    10:00 PM THE BIG SLEEP (1946) – Humphrey Bogart (w/Lauren Bacall)

December 13th:
    12:00 AM LADY IN THE LAKE (1947) – Robert Montgomery (w/Audrey Totter)
    2:00 AM FAREWELL, MY LOVELY (1975) – Robert Mitchum (w/Charlotte Rampling :x )
    4:00 AM MARLOWE (1969) – James Garner (w/Bruce Lee)
    FYI, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is broadcasting five (5) films centered on the Philip Marlowe character. All times EST and subject to change.

December 12th:
    8:00 PM MURDER, MY SWEET (1944) – Dick Powell (w/Claire Trevor)
    10:00 PM THE BIG SLEEP (1946) – Humphrey Bogart (w/Lauren Bacall)

December 13th:
    12:00 AM LADY IN THE LAKE (1947) – Robert Montgomery (w/Audrey Totter)
    2:00 AM FAREWELL, MY LOVELY (1975) – Robert Mitchum (w/Charlotte Rampling :x )
    4:00 AM MARLOWE (1969) – James Garner (w/Bruce Lee)

Love the Philip Marlowe films. Only one I've never seen is THE BRASHER DOUBLOOM. Too bad TCM isn't showing that one.
    Who's your favorite Marlowe, @Dwayne?
    A good question @ToTheRight. The 1978 version of THE BIG SLEEP (w/Robert Mitchum) and FAREWELL, MY LOVELY (1975) used to be on TV a lot when I was younger, so I will always have a soft spot for them.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I still go for Bogart. Though I don't think I ever fully understood the plot twists of THE BIG SLEEP...like everyone else, it seems.
    My fave is Bogart with Mitchum coming in a close second.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Bogart. First one I saw and I then read all the Marlowe stories before I saw anyone else play him, so Bogart = Marlowe was set in my mind from the off.