Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I just finished watching Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm. It was the only thing that made sense.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll (1973)
    blue-eyes-of-the-broken-doll6.jpg

A Giallo, Naschy style. A drifter with a very murky past, is hired by 3 beautiful sisters to act as a handyman around their country home. At the same time, a local police officer is investigating the brutal killings of blue-eyed blondes, whose eyes are extracted by their murderer.
    I could have done without the pig scene. Thankfully, I was aware of it beforehand, so was ready to fast forward through that scene.

1. Panic Beats (1983)
    2. Werewolf Shadow (1971)
    3. Human Beasts (1980)
    4. Horror Rises From The Tomb (1973)
    5. Crimson (1976)
    6. Dr. Jekyll vs. The Werewolf (1972)
    7. Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)
    ***8. Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll (1973)***
    9. Exorcismo (1975)
    10. Vengeance Of The Zombies (1973)
    11. Count Dracula's Great Love (1973)

Spanish style giallo, amarillo I suppose :)), how does it compare to the Italian ones?

Considering that it isn't a legitimate Giallo, I think it stacks up very well in comparison, actually.

In that case, I will add it to my watchlist :)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I just finished watching Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm. It was the only thing that made sense.

Was lucky to see this in theaters. Great movie.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Was lucky to see this in theaters. Great movie.

Not being a huge Batman fan, I like this one the best out of all the Batman films that I’ve seen. It’s top-notch even for a non-fan.

On another note I’m watching Jesus Franco’s Count Dracula (aka Nachts wenn Dracula erwacht), Christopher Lee in a non-Hammer Dracula gives me a bit NSNA vibes. So far it’s been okay, though not phenomenal.
    All right, I know I said I was going to see Top Hat, but circumstances prevented me from doing so. But I managed to see a few more movies, either on the big screen or on DVD/Blu-Ray.

First, Black Panther : Wakanda Forever : An exploration of grief in the world of super-heroes, and a movie that has heart, in addition to the action scenes we're accustomed to. I think this is my second favourite Marvel movie, after The Winter Soldier.

Oh, What a Lovely War : I saw that one on Remembrance Day, and it's still as good as ever. Emotional scnes, mixed with moments of (very) black comedy (the leg scene has to be seen to be believed). A must-see. Here's an extract :

And last, but not least, Miss Saigon : The 25th anniversary production, at the Prince Edward Theatre. I cried. And as a bonus, some of the actors from the original production did a few numbers at the end. Here goes :

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    David Lynch s Wild At Heart (1990)
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kinolorber.com%2Fmedia_cache%2Fimages%2Ffull%2Fproduct_2613.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=38cc3f634b786f67844da1f9d00dd5ba5d36a582e2a039fd323d6cf507a88226&ipo=images
    It s been a while, but I have seen this more times than any other Lynch, and now I remember why. Great movie.
    A Cage film I haven't seen, will have to check it out.

Did you see Color Out of Space? Cage + Lovecraft = A film more enjoyable than it had any business being, IMO.

Did you see Color Out of Space? Cage + Lovecraft = A film more enjoyable than it had any business being, IMO.

No, but thanks for remindig me. I had forgotten about that one.
    BATMAN BEGINS (2005)
    Recently purchased the bluray box set, so will rewatch these again, having really enjoyed this years 'The Batman' , thought I'd see how these hold up, not having watched them for a long while!
    Have to say this was disappointing viewing, struggled with the early stages, rather dull, until Christian Bale (excellent) dons the suit and it picks up a gear, but overall, I didnt enjoy it as much as I remember. Cast are really good, along with Bale, there are memorable performances from Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson and the ever superb Michael Caine! Only noticed this time a number of lesser known Irish actors in the cast, which I never copped before!!
    Onto 'The Dark Knight', which my overall opinion was that it was brilliant, if overlong. Lets see has my view changed. Hated 'The Dark Knight Rises', have only seen it once and found it a bore, so be interesting to see what my second watch is like!?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    BATMAN BEGINS (2005)
    Recently purchased the bluray box set, so will rewatch these again, having really enjoyed this years 'The Batman' , thought I'd see how these hold up, not having watched them for a long while!
    Have to say this was disappointing viewing, struggled with the early stages, rather dull, until Christian Bale (excellent) dons the suit and it picks up a gear, but overall, I didnt enjoy it as much as I remember. Cast are really good, along with Bale, there are memorable performances from Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson and the ever superb Michael Caine! Only noticed this time a number of lesser known Irish actors in the cast, which I never copped before!!
    Onto 'The Dark Knight', which my overall opinion was that it was brilliant, if overlong. Lets see has my view changed. Hated 'The Dark Knight Rises', have only seen it once and found it a bore, so be interesting to see what my second watch is like!?

Been quite a while for me too. I remember enjoying it the best of the Nolan trilogy. I really liked Cillian Murphy’s Scarecrow in it.

Hated TDKR as well, I have seen it twice and did not care for it on either occasion.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I really like TDKR, but I also love BB. Agree that TDKR TDK feels a touch overlong. And I'm not a huge fan of the "bat-vision" section at the end.

Edited.

No, but thanks for remindig me. I had forgotten about that one.

I wouldn't necessarily go in with any expectations, per se, but it's a fun time.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Planet of the Apes 1968
    a-poster-for-franklin-j-schaffners-1968-adventure-film-planet-of-the-apes-starring-charlton.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=4tXUNu1mfe9qlhTiQE-0texw2XyR8zp8DqWpcHCuye8=

GoldenGun wrote: »
    BATMAN BEGINS (2005)

Been quite a while for me too. I remember enjoying it the best of the Nolan trilogy. I really liked Cillian Murphy’s Scarecrow in it.

Hated TDKR as well, I have seen it twice and did not care for it on either occasion.

Yes, should have mentioned Cillian Murphy, very creepy indeed. Possibly should have made him the main villain instead of Neeson!
    I really like how they used them both, personally.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 6,813
    The Dark Knight (2008)
    Long time since I viewed it from start to finish, ( dipped in and out of it with TV)
    This was a much better viewing than BB. For one, Nolan paces it a lot better, for the first 2 hrs it moves briskly, gets a bit bogged down towards the end, and BB probably has a better finish.
    Heath Ledgers 'Joker' is a magnificent creation, he really sinks right into the part, ( my favourite shot is the one of him hanging out the window of the police car as it speeds through the city!) the film has a great look, the action, particularly with the new Batcycle is terrific, and pounding score by Zimmer and Newton Howard is excellent.( love the opening robbery set piece) Bale, Oldman and Caine are all great again, and Aaron Eckhart a perfect Harvey Dent, though not quite sure about him as Two Face!
    All in all, this film holds up really well, onto my least favorite now!
    The Dark Knight Rises ( 2012)
    Well this was a surprisingly enjoyable watch, I remember hating it in the cinema, but its very entertaining Batman film. Certainly the most spectacular, huge crowd scenes and epic shots everywhere. Cast are spot on, and this time i could actually make out what Tom Hardys 'Bane' was saying ( though I did have the volume turned up full whack!) The wonderful Michael Caine gives a very affecting performance here too,and Anne Hathaway, who I remember noting is nowhere near Michelle Pfeiffers Catwoman, made more of an impression here! ( though rhat final kiss was an error, there WAS a bomb about to go off!!) And the climax was really thrilling this time around, the major flaw of the film is the length,( especially that interminable section of Batmans capture/ escape)
    A pleasant surprise though, this film is gone way up in my estimation!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Well this was a surprisingly enjoyable watch, I remember hating it in the cinema, but its very entertaining Batman film. Certainly the most spectacular, huge crowd scenes and epic shots everywhere. Cast are spot on, and this time i could actually make out what Tom Hardys 'Bane' was saying ( though I did have the volume turned up full whack!) The wonderful Michael Caine gives a very affecting performance here too,and Anne Hathaway, who I remember noting is nowhere near Michelle Pfeiffers Catwoman, made more of an impression here! ( though rhat final kiss was an error, there WAS a bomb about to go off!!) And the climax was really thrilling this time around, the major flaw of the film is the length,( especially that interminable section of Batmans capture/ escape)

Good to know mate! It's always been my favourite Batman film. A true epic. Unlike that pretentious bore that was The Batman. Only epic in its ridiculous run time.

Good to know mate! It's always been my favourite Batman film. A true epic. Unlike that pretentious bore that was The Batman. Only epic in its ridiculous run time.

Ah, I enjoyed 'The Batman', mate. I still rate TDK above TDKR, but this was a great watch of it! Just didnt click with me first time!
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,526

The only time I had trouble understanding Bane was the preview teaser before Ghost Protocol in IMAX; I think they changed his voice after that for the release.

Glad to hear people enjoying TDKR; I think it’s very underrated.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    On Deadly Ground
    • Cool score by Basil Poledouris; the man always delivered. Love the percussion-heavy part that plays when Seagal is grabbing stuff from his hidden mountain arsenal.
    • There are some really beautiful camera shots in this film, especially when Seagal is being chased on horseback by the mercenaries.
    • Some really spectacular action, up a notch from some of Seagal's previous films.
    • Loved John C. McGinley's death scene.
    • I was getting disappointed that R. Lee Ermey hadn't screamed at least once, but then, finally, he yelled at someone to keep "that son of a b***h" (Seagal) from getting to the oil rig. And with that, for a brief second, Gunnery Sergeant Hartman emerged from within him.
    • The Wikipedia synopsis is making fun of the film. This is what it says about the end: "Later, Taft, far from being arrested for industrial sabotage and multiple murders, delivers a speech at the Alaska State Capitol about the dangers of oil pollution and the companies that are endangering the ecosystem." Well played, Wikipedia.
    • Loved that bit where the technician and Caine's assistant escape from the oil rig while Caine stays...
    • ...and Caine's acting when Joan Chen throws oil on his suit...
    • ...and that commercial scene with Irvin Kershner. Best part is this.
    • Interesting to see that, apart from the opening fire scene and the fight with Mike Starr, there isn't any action until the film reaches the fiftysomething mark. The three act structure makes sense, though.
    • So this film is akin to a cartoon, or a comic book, but if you accept it in that style, it's good!
    • If nothing else, it served as the basis for this bizarre masterpiece. I don't know why this was made, I'm just happy it happened during my lifetime.
    • And this hilarious re-edit of the commercial scene.

Assassination Games
    I finally watched it, @MajorDSmythe. Van Damme is really good at playing these dark, tormented characters. Adkins holds his own against him. Their fight scene was pretty great as well; best action scene in the movie. Interesting how Van Damme refuses to save his neighbor, and only after discovering her body, he realizes or admits to himself that he had feelings for her. I think in these kinds of stories, it's more common to have the character realize that when their loved ones are threatened, rather than after they've died. It was an unconventional and refreshing choice. I thought I would grow bored with the oppresive yellow tint but I ended up getting used to it. The film was pretty good; I enjoyed the character development and the shifting allegiances. That said, there are other Van Damme films I prefer, including Six Bullets, another Barbarash film released soon after.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Assassination Games
    I finally watched it, @MajorDSmythe. Van Damme is really good at playing these dark, tormented characters. Adkins holds his own against him. Their fight scene was pretty great as well; best action scene in the movie. Interesting how Van Damme refuses to save his neighbor, and only after discovering her body, he realizes or admits to himself that he had feelings for her. I think in these kinds of stories, it's more common to have the character realize that when their loved ones are threatened, rather than after they've died. It was an unconventional and refreshing choice. I thought I would grow bored with the oppresive yellow tint but I ended up getting used to it. The film was pretty good; I enjoyed the character development and the shifting allegiances. That said, there are other Van Damme films I prefer, including Six Bullets, another Barbarash film released soon after.

Oh you've seen it. Glad you liked it, at least for the most part. You liked Six Bullets too. I might have asked this before, but have you seen Pound Of Flesh? It's another JCVD/Ernie Barabash film that is atypical for Van Damme. It might sound like a silly premise, but is much better than the premise sounds.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Watched The Protege. Directed by Martin Campbell. I'd hoped he might elevate it a bit but it was just another middling, by-the-numbers thriller like Memory was. Not bad - but definitely not great. I know people are hoping that Martin'd rise to the occasion if he did another Bond film, but on recent evidence...I really dunno if he's still got it in him.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Last night, watched Spielberg's version of West Side Story. Absolutely blew me away, much more than the Jerome Robbins/Robert Wise take from 60 years earlier, which I have always loved, knew the soundtrack by heart and (much to the dismay of my way) keep singing along...all roles. :-)

But Spielberg is just a magician. He put so much more in his remake that one couldn't expect. For both applies: I don't have any connection, and much less appreciation, for ballet as an art form. But the choreography in both movies is brilliant, and one stands in awe admiring it. As I understand, his movie used a lot of the original choreography by Jerome Robbins. So they share the deserved fame for me, along with Leonard Bernstein, of course.

Special feelings about now over 90-year-old Rita Moreno (Anita in the first film) to reprise a role as a local shopkeeper who (as a Puertorriquena) sort of tutors Polish-ancestry Tony and is quintessentally the character most advocating and furthering peace between the factions.

My take on Spielberg's WSS: 10/10.
    On Robbins/Wise's: 9/10...but probably only in comparison.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2022 Posts: 6,724
    Assassination Games

Oh you've seen it. Glad you liked it, at least for the most part. You liked Six Bullets too. I might have asked this before, but have you seen Pound Of Flesh? It's another JCVD/Ernie Barabash film that is atypical for Van Damme. It might sound like a silly premise, but is much better than the premise sounds.

No, I haven't. Is that the one set in the empty hospital? I might watch it at some point.

I really enjoyed Six Bullets. I prefer it to Assassination Games because it's more propulsive. Games is still good though. I now remember that when watching it, I thought the subplot with the neighbor had echoes of Léon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2022 Posts: 13,894
    Assassination Games

No, I haven't. Is that the one set in the empty hospital? I might watch it at some point.

I really enjoyed Six Bullets. I prefer it to Assassination Games because it's more propulsive. Games is still good though. I now remember that when watching it, I thought the subplot with the neighbor had echoes of Léon.

The empty Hospital, sounds like Kill 'Em All, which I haven't seen yet. Pound Of Flesh is the when where Van Damme wakes up in a bath of ice cubes, with a suspiciously fresh scar on his abdomen.

Pound Of Flesh is closer to the likes of Assassination Games and Six Bullets than what we might normally think of when it comes to Van Damme films.
    Peter Farrelly s Dumb and Dumber from 1994.
    It,s still funny.
    Rage and Honor II: Hostile Takeover (1993)
    1000885759.jpg?h=b014dcc9&itok=Q-XBg55v
    Cynthia Rothrock re-teams with Richard Norton (at least 5 films they made together, they were like the Fred & Ginger of martial arts films) for this entertaining sequel.

With her short shoulder length red hair, as soon as Rothrock came onscreen, I couldn't shake a thought from my head.... why wasn't Marvel studios going in the late 80's/early 90s? She would have made a fitting Black Widow. And looking at Norton, he has a bit of a Steve Rogers look to him....
    The Wrong Trousers (N. Park, 1993)
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.fanpop.com%2Fimages%2Fimage_uploads%2FThe-Wrong-Trousers-wallace-and-gromit-343146_640_480.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8d95bec4d05d4bc5a7ed9fcaf7194469b3a4fee332f6c4cbd57d77922ab9b471&ipo=images
    This must be my favourite Wallace and Gromit film.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Glass Onion (2022):
    Short version: It's good, but not as good as Knives Out. 7.5/10.

Long version:
    After revisiting Knives Out at home I had a visceral memory of seeing it in the theatre and how much more atmospheric it was. That made me decide to go to Glass Onion in the theatre as well. Sadly, this one didn't feel as atmospheric. It's generally a bit looser, I would say (it didn't help that we were in a much bigger room that was mostly empty.). Another disclaimer: I saw the German dub, which obviously doesn't have Craig's voicework in it, so whatever humour comes from that falls completely flat. I'm looking forward to seeing it in English on Netflix..

The film takes a bit of time to get going, but once it does, the second half is pretty superb. Once again, I wished I had watched less trailers and other material. The Janelle Monae reveal was semi-spoiled for me, because the kicker in the trailer where Blanc and her character talk about Clue comes at a strangely late point in the film. The same about Blanc's private life. The actual reveal was hilarious, but I knew something was coming.

While writing this I realize that I still have to sort my thoughts. Basically, this does a lot of things very well, that the first one does superbly. The cast is good, where the first one was perfect. The mystery is fun, while the first one was smarter (which is kind of the point of this film in a way). The setting is nice, where the first one was spot-on. Blanc is good and very funny, where he was suprising before. The politics here are a tiny bit more on the nose while at the same time being muddled, where the first one was more sneakily scathing.

So, it's a very enjoyable film. I am looking forward to rewatching it. And I hope they just do one of these every four years.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 13,894
    Accident Man: Hitman's Holliday (2022)
    Following the evens of the first film, Mike has left the UK, and has set himself up in Malta (turns out that Malteesers aren't from Malta!!!). Without going too into spoiler territory, Mike is forced by a Mafia head to protect her dim witted wannabe popstar son, made harder when a contract is put out on the son, and 5 of the worlds top assassin's descend to claim the €9,000,000 bounty.
    This one had more of a visual pop to it than the original film, it looked like a comic come to life. The rival assassins all had very distinct comic book-ish appearances (though I don't know if they appeared in the Accident Man comics). Best fight probably has to go to...
    Mike vs Poco The Clown. Poco was like Pennywise crossed with Renard from TWINE.

One small complain is that fight maybe should have been swapped around with the Oyumi fight.

Once again, Scott shows Hollywood the proper way to stage fight scenes, even when on a tight budget. This was definitely a worthy follow up, and I hope we get to see more Mike Fallon. Hopefully, these won't be pirated like the Ninja movies were. :(