The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I mean, given the option, I'd definitely take the Rolls, thank you.
    Me too. And sell it right away in order to buy a normal car and an energy-efficient family home.

Actually, same.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,342

2023 Toyota bZ3 electric sedan :-O

Anyone like it ?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Not my cup of tea, too futuristic for my taste, but usually electric cars look too futuristic for me.

In fact, the only electric car that I like, designwise, is the Fiat 500e:

em8y10xb98e0.jpg
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I do like the Toyota, it will compete with many other good-looking cars in that segment (VW id4, Tesla 3 etc). And the interior looks nicely clean.
    However, I really do not like the large centered flat panels we see on Teslas and many other electric vehicles. Who decided that just because you run your car from a big battery that you should also run all controls through a large flatscreen? It always looks like a cheap solution, a tablet attached to the center console. The screen reflects, shows smear, and there is no haptic response. Screens should be better integrated into the design and there should be real switches for stuff you need a lot (AC, Entertainment, Navigation).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,861
    The increasing removal of switchgear on cars seems like madness, and universally hated as far I can tell. I saw a video of a new Cadillac the other day where you had to go through a couple of menus to open the glovebox.

If it were voice control I wouldn't mind, that actually makes sense for driving.
    The interior of the toyota looks cheap and bland and that steering wheel is a strange shape.

Speaking of switchgear.......
    Volkswagen to axe touch-sensing controls, bring back physical buttons

Volkswagen’s controversial touch-sensing steering wheel controls will be replaced by physical buttons on future models, but the German car-maker is yet to confirm whether the common-sense decision will also apply to infotainment screens and air-conditioning controls.

German auto giant Volkswagen will join a growing number of car companies to backtrack on the roll-out of touch-sensing controls and bring back physical buttons to future models.
    https://www.drive.com.au/news/volkswagen-touch-sensing-controls-physical/
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The interior of the toyota looks cheap and bland and that steering wheel is a strange shape.

Speaking of switchgear.......
    Volkswagen to axe touch-sensing controls, bring back physical buttons

Volkswagen’s controversial touch-sensing steering wheel controls will be replaced by physical buttons on future models, but the German car-maker is yet to confirm whether the common-sense decision will also apply to infotainment screens and air-conditioning controls.

German auto giant Volkswagen will join a growing number of car companies to backtrack on the roll-out of touch-sensing controls and bring back physical buttons to future models.
    https://www.drive.com.au/news/volkswagen-touch-sensing-controls-physical/

It just so happens I rented a golf GTi for the last couple of days (I got a free upgrade) and I came to a couple of conclusions: a lowered GTi isn't the best car to use on mountain roads. A GTi is a bit too quick off the mark when you're driving in a 30km zone and you just pull up at a traffic light with a speed camera, and touch-buttons and screens are very inconvenient if you don't know the layout of the car and you don't really have time to study all the extras. Lane assist can be bloody annoying. Park assist sensors on all sides are not good for your nerves . And I definitely missed the big round buttons for the airco. But it is quite a nice car to drive .
    Las Vegas, in the Audi S1 HOONITRON
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm just sort of cleaning up my NAS drive and stumbled across some photos which I took with my Samsung S4 phone in 2014 (the place where this happened was next to my wine dealer's). It is a 1962 or 1963 Studebaker Hawk GT (it may be even a "1964 model", but they stopped making them in late 1963). Not exactly a car for "petrolheads", but perhaps some of you enjoy this unusually-styled vehicle.

studebaker1ljipq.jpg
    studebaker2chfeq.jpg
    studebaker362ceg.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    An interesting car for sure. Love how they tried to combine European and American design into something rather... middle-of-the-ocean.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 8,657
    Right...that's where it probably sank... But barring its probable rust problems, I might even buy it if the price were right (ok, these pics are 8 years old). I mean, how many people still own a Studebaker?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not a fan, but of course one person who was was a certain Ian Fleming. Not this model, he had a Studebaker Avanti, although only for a year before his death.
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm not a fan, but of course one person who was was a certain Ian Fleming. Not this model, he had a Studebaker Avanti, although only for a year before his death.
    I must say that the Avanti may certainly be considered a progressive or futuristic design, but I find it also uglier than the Hawk GT, even though (or maybe because?) the latter seems to have been trying too hard to look like a Mercedes-Benz in places (Studebaker was the representative for Mercedes in the U.S. at the time, by the way).

The Avanti reminds me more of the AMC Matador as used in TMWTGG. Certainly uglier than the Hawk GT.
    Saw this on my walk today (glare was very annoying and I couldn't get in):

313402396_461545122737137_4914322989567550836_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=kVO03-E8oFYAX9RFfeC&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AfDBJ6jnNT26LBW32718K0ndPEcC1lCoYnx2gelqJOzVfA&oe=6365B494
    313170287_461545132737136_1690814592551426058_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=vTjRvyE8W_oAX-fz_y1&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AfB0N9d-MAvoS6ecHHh4juHrD1Ggh7HSqwSb1Um8bIZGSg&oe=6366524D

Can anyone confirm if this is an Esprit?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah gorgeous. I still get excited when I see one; I just love them. That's an S3 Turbo Esprit I believe (as per FYEO).
    Well it’s here on Burrard between 4th and Broadway if you want it :D
    Remember that one ?

S0-essai-video-citroen-ami-que-vaut-l-electrique-a-6-000-eur-640503.jpg

Well, there's one parked outside my building right now. It's even stranger seen from a closer distance.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What I like about the Ami is the efficiency of the design. There’s even only one door mould, so both are identical: the door on one side opens conventionally, and the one on the other side opens like a suicide door.
    MG4 looks good
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Poor MG, look what they’ve done this legendary brand. It had better remained asleep.
    3dc7fb6ec5940154b3ddc2224deb0f77.jpg

MGA, still beautiful after all these years! What were the Chinese thinking?
    The front of the MGA Doesn't look too flash.
    71203017.jpg
    Agreed, the grille looks odd, yet in real life the long hood flanked by the oval air intakes looks pretty stylish.
    I like both the MGA and the MGB, which I saw quite a lot when I was a kid in 1960s' Germany. But you can't blame the Chinese for picking up a still (somewhat) valuable brand when the UK auto industry basically went down the drain later in the century - for shoddy quality, amongst other reasons. There's basically no British-owned firm left, even if Land Rover Jaguar (Tata-owned), Rolls-Royce and Mini (BMW-owned) and Bentley (VW-owned) as well as Ford (forever US-owned) still produce cars in the UK.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,342
    ORA Funky Cat

Chinese Electric Mini ?
    Ugliest BMW ?
    ORA Funky Cat

Chinese Electric Mini ?
    I think I won't buy an electric vehicle until both of our six-cylinder diesels have broken down, but this is quite a cute car. Doesn't look like all those pseudo-futuristic, manga-type would-be Batmobiles so prevalent these days.
    2023 Toyota Prius

Finally a nice looking Prius ?
    edited November 2022 Posts: 4,311
    i7 = eye sore

Citroen Picasso! Nice. Come on BMW, surely you can do better than that?