The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I cannot see a universe where that is ugly. That's a very handsome and refined design, best from Rolls for ages.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Agreed. The headlights could be a bit more prominent, though.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Rolls Royce always represented the villain vehicles in Bond, which makes sense given Fleming's Deadlier Sin Avarice, where AM/Bentley is the good guys and Jaguar Land Rover are the grey middle ground that both good and evil use. They'd be crazy not to use this car in a future Bond film. ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I share the view that that Rolls is ugly. And I also share the view that the most recent BMWs are ugly as hell, too. Although I won't part with my 2008 E93 convertible (330d) until it breaks down altogether. But hey, 212,000 kms or so is barely run-in for a six-cylinder diesel.
    More Rolls for the rest of us! ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 8,697
    Right! One fully electric Rolls for every member of the proletariat! Nobody should have more than one Rolls until everybody has one! (Borrowing a bit from Billy Wilder's One-Two-Three, regarding mink coats in that case.)
    Hey, if enough people think it’s too ugly, short demand should drive prices down a little. ;)
    Yeah, let's wait until it's down to maybe 100K (euros, not oz or can dollars!), and then we'll make a bargain.
    Rolls Royce always represented the villain vehicles in Bond, which makes sense given Fleming's Deadlier Sin Avarice, where AM/Bentley is the good guys and Jaguar Land Rover are the grey middle ground that both good and evil use. They'd be crazy not to use this car in a future Bond film.

Ahem !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzLwkVck37LRsEiIWCPv_1qq-7cy-TWWvWqg&usqp=CAU

bscap0070zk.1304.jpg
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Yeah, let's wait until it's down to maybe 100K (euros, not oz or can dollars!), and then we'll make a bargain.

Right. Trickle-down economy. Really helping poor people to finally acquire a Rolls-Royce. Just what every working-class family needs. Even an Aston Martin might probably make more sense.
    @Gerard fair enough!

@j_w_pepper Talking to yourself Sheriff?
    @Gerard fair enough!

@j_w_pepper Talking to yourself Sheriff?

You've got a point mentioning that talking to myself (I probably quoted my previous post instead of Gerard's by accident), though I'm not too sure how that came about. There probably was a different idea for the answer.

But other than that, I and my wife will probably keep our two (diesel-powered, six-cylinder) cars until they irreversably break down (or we can't afford the fuel any more!), and even if we had the money left over, we wouldn't spend it on a Rolls-Royce. Nor an Aston-Martin, by the way, which would be much more of a dream-car for me. And buying a battery-powered vehicle (of whichever make) is a long way away.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,354
    That rolls does need some proper headlights
    The rear looks ugly
    rolls-royce_spectre_ev_revealed_20.jpg
    and the interior lacks class.....
    rolls-royce_spectre_ev_revealed_19.jpg

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Kinda expected, after Wraith and Ghost.

Well, a few more than that- they've been using ghosty names for over a hundred years! :D
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Similar wheelbase and range as the Celestiq, though I do think the Cadillac is much more eye-grabbing design, for better or worse. But for the money, the Spectre strikes me as rather old-world.

This thing?! Each to their own I guess, but that looks a rather unresolved and ungainly design to me.

CadillacCelestiq_Exterior2.png

There's something Porsche 928 about the rear, I think it's in the shape of the side of the rear windscreen. It's got that coupe look, in spite of being an estate.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Kinda expected, after Wraith and Ghost.

Well, a few more than that- they've been using ghosty names for over a hundred years! :D
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Similar wheelbase and range as the Celestiq, though I do think the Cadillac is much more eye-grabbing design, for better or worse. But for the money, the Spectre strikes me as rather old-world.

This thing?! Each to their own I guess, but that looks a rather unresolved and ungainly design to me.

There's something Porsche 928 about the rear, I think it's in the shape of the side of the rear windscreen. It's got that coupe look, in spite of being an estate.

It's lots of bits stuck together, really- kind of reminds me of the SUX car in Robocop! :D The back end is a bit 928y, yeah; but it made me think of Jensen Interceptor more.
    The blunt and sharp door pillars just don't work with the rather blobby rest of the car.. I think it's horrid.
    I remember thinking Jensen Interceptors were awesome... can't remember why... maybe just the name.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

copertina-porsche-928-mito-incompreso.jpg

jensen-interceptor-02.jpg

(just because I love posting pictures) I think Porsche nailed it with the shape, it's the most elegant of the 3 cars. The Jensen always looked odd to me. The Cadillac's rear design does not work for me, the glass-dome is better suited for a 2-door GT format.
    I used to park in a garage for my job in which someone also parked a Jensen Interceptor a few years ago. I still found it awesome.

Here's a scan of a "Supercar" quartet game of mine from the late sixties. The Jensen had good chances to prevail against any other card if one could invoke its displacement. Even the twelve-cylinder Italian sportscars had a smaller engine than this one, using a Chrysler motor.
    jenseninterceptorh9ia5.jpg

That being said, it was slower (at 225 kph) than my Mercedes E-Class 320 Diesel station wagon (2004 - 2016 in my possession) and my now-14-year-old BMW 330d convertible. And the price given on the playing card won't even buy your a decently equipped VW Golf these days.
    I'm very curious about this game... any more details you can provide?
    Well, it was originally conceived to be just a regular "quartet" game...you had to obtain all four cards of a given group (in this case, those listed as a. to d. on the card). I don't even recall those regular "quartet" rules since they were basically suspended by what happened.

Instead, these car (or ship, or airplane, or maybe even something else I never encountered) quartets went their own way. The goal was to win the entire set of cards. And you did so by challenging the other player(s) regarding one of the specifications of your car (or else) in question. In this case (Interceptor), and if it was your turn, you'd most likely say "displacement", and the other guy(s) would have to state what their current car(d) said to that. If your own car's displacement was bigger, you'd collect the cards of your opponents, and go on with your next card. If not, you'd lose yours to the one with the best of those involved, and it was that guy's turn to determine what the next criterion would be. Say if you had a Ferrari, you'd choose the number of cylinders (12...), or maybe the top speed. Ultimately, someone ended up with all cards in the game.

I still have been keeping several of those card sets for purely sentimental reasons. At least they don't take up a lot of room. I once posted a card from an airplane quartet (it was a B-58, by the way) on some other thread of this board (don't remember what it was) several years ago. The principle was the same. Bigger is better...long before anyone would have thought the opposite.

We played those card games basically during every break between classes when I was 11, 12 or 13 or so. I guess it stopped when we got interested in girls instead :-).
    Cool! Thanks for the info.
    Here is the link to the plane quartet entry on this board in question...and a few others. Same same but different.

https://mi6community.com/discussion/18550/its-gr%CE%B5%CE%B5%CE%BA-to-me/p8

PS: OK, no need to tell me...I should have edited my previous posting for this rather than sending a different post :-)... but at least NickTwentyTwo responded in the meantime.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,962
    zebrafish wrote: »

(just because I love posting pictures) I think Porsche nailed it with the shape, it's the most elegant of the 3 cars. The Jensen always looked odd to me. The Cadillac's rear design does not work for me, the glass-dome is better suited for a 2-door GT format.

I think both are great in different ways. The Interceptor has a nicely odd style.

Both have Bond connections: Bond drove an Interceptor in William Boyd's novel SOLO, and a 928 actually stunt-doubled for Bond's Aston DB5 in Skyfall! :)
    That’s a cool bit of trivia, where was the 928? Did they dress it up in some DB5 bits and blow it up?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,962
    Yes indeed. I've seen folks drone on about how miniatures are better than CG and that they blew up a miniature DB5 for Skyfall, but it was actually a 928 transformed into a DB5 with... CG :D

D6J0SNXX4AAxROC?format=jpg&name=medium

skyfall_mpc_vfx_03a-551f6a7388ec6.jpg

Clever, isn't it? Even ten years later I can't quite figure out how they did that.

The morning after :)

6i8urjtr8a141.jpg?auto=webp&s=359ac7ba35c0ffe9848b8bf6cb1fb21af65d2092

Oh, and there's another 928 in AVTAK, parked next to Cubby's Roller.
    Hah that’s awesome
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    zebrafish wrote: »

copertina-porsche-928-mito-incompreso.jpg

jensen-interceptor-02.jpg

I agree, the Porsche’s design is more balanced-out, it just fits, the other ones seem to be a bit off, and they are also too blocky for my taste.

Lately blocky seems to be really in though, especially with electric cars.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Celestiq-Spectre-EVs-GM-RR-MB.png

little to add. The Rolls is more of the same when it comes to Rolls design, with strong herditary lines. The Cadillac is just..... big. And American. Could've been a KIA.
    I mean, given the option, I'd definitely take the Rolls, thank you.
    I mean, given the option, I'd definitely take the Rolls, thank you.
    Me too. And sell it right away in order to buy a normal car and an energy-efficient family home.