Why so many Felixes?

1235»

Comments

GoldenGun wrote: »
    @ToTheRight I agree on Burton as well, he’s not high on the list of most fans, but I think he had good chemistry with Sean too.

Just for fun I’ve made an attempt to rank our Felixes, according to my personal preference of course:

1. Bernie Casey
    2. Jeffrey Wright
    3. David Hedison
    4. Norman Burton
    5. Rik Van Nutter
    6. Jack Lord
    7. John Terry
    8. Cec Linder

I don’t think he’s ever been really badly cast though, I’m quite fond of our Felixes, even the lesser-liked ones like Terry or Van Nutter.

I'm surprised I'm not the only one who likes Van Nutter.
    It's difficult casting a good Felix Leiter. You want someone who not only has good chemistry with the actor playing Bond, but also someone who has a stand-out screen presence which contrasts with, but doesn't outshine, Bond.

I'm 50/50 on whether Leiter should return for the next one. Obviously it'd be soon after Wright's Leiter died. Then again, I suspect the majority of audiences wouldn't care, especially given the gap between NTTD and Bond 26. It'll likely be very consciously rebooting the series too so it'd work. I'd personally like to see a Leiter a little older than our next Bond (so late 30s to early 40s) and I'd love to see a version of the character with a prosthetic leg and hand who is 'on loan' to the CIA for specific jobs.

I suspect as well that even if the next Leiter has only a little bit of screen time, they'll play a more important role than just showing up and being Bond's sidekick. I feel the likes of Terry suffered from this, and the character was somewhat shoehorned into that film when he didn't make much difference to the plot.
    Gerard wrote: »
    What, no love for Michael Pate, AKA Clarence Leiter ? The only british (well, the actor was australian, but you know what I'm saying) Leiter ?
    Yeah but this is the Felix Leiter thread, not the Clarence Leiter thread, you know what I mean?

Just kidding. Michael Pate was fine, but I wonder what people thought of his accent. Did it sound British?
    Perhaps they should've switched roles? Barry Nelson could've played Felix to Michael Pate's Bond.
  • Who could have pulled off Felix for Brosnans Bond? Still don't understand having Wade over a rebooted Felix character.

McConaughey would have been on the young side for GoldenEye at 26, but he’s always kind of had a ruggedly youthful look that reads 30s/40s. Just as he looks younger than his age today, he also looked older than his age in his 20s. Look at him in Contact in 1997. He definitely could have been Brosnan’s Leiter.

Ludovico wrote: »
    @ToTheRight I agree on Burton as well, he’s not high on the list of most fans, but I think he had good chemistry with Sean too.

Just for fun I’ve made an attempt to rank our Felixes, according to my personal preference of course:

1. Bernie Casey
    2. Jeffrey Wright
    3. David Hedison
    4. Norman Burton
    5. Rik Van Nutter
    6. Jack Lord
    7. John Terry
    8. Cec Linder

I don’t think he’s ever been really badly cast though, I’m quite fond of our Felixes, even the lesser-liked ones like Terry or Van Nutter.

I too am a big fan of Van Nutter. He’s my third favorite after Casey and Hedison. Sure, he doesn’t have a lot to do in the film, but that really is his only drawback. He both looks and acts just like how I imagine Fleming’s Leiter (albeit with silver hair instead of sandy blonde): tall, lanky, athletic, sort of youthful looking but also not, straight-shooting with casual, off-the-cuff remarks.

Next I’d go with Norman Burton. Doesn’t remotely resemble Fleming’s Leiter physically, but he has a good rapport with Connery in Diamonds as @ToTheRight mentions and the attitude is there.

Cec Linder is all right in Goldfinger. He pals about with Bond at least.

John Terry sits or stands in front of the camera as the script would have him and delivers all of his lines in a more or less human cadence in The Living Daylights.

Jack Lord was rather too serious for my taste—like he thought he was starring in some 40s noir.

Not a fan of Wright’s interpretation either. He’s dour and grumbly and just a hair less serious than Lord. May as well have made him some other character IMO.

Whoever they cast next, I hope they bring a bit more of the spirit of Fleming’s Leiter to the role.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Who could have pulled off Felix for Brosnans Bond? Still don't understand having Wade over a rebooted Felix character.

McConaughey would have been on the young side for GoldenEye at 26, but he’s always kind of had a ruggedly youthful look that reads 30s/40s. Just as he looks younger than his age today, he also looked older than his age in his 20s. Look at him in Contact in 1997. He definitely could have been Brosnan’s Leiter.

1. Bernie Casey
    2. Jeffrey Wright
    3. David Hedison
    4. Norman Burton
    5. Rik Van Nutter
    6. Jack Lord
    7. John Terry
    8. Cec Linder

I too am a big fan of Van Nutter. He’s my third favorite after Casey and Hedison. Sure, he doesn’t have a lot to do in the film, but that really is his only drawback. He both looks and acts just like how I imagine Fleming’s Leiter (albeit with silver hair instead of sandy blonde): tall, lanky, athletic, sort of youthful looking but also not, straight-shooting with casual, off-the-cuff remarks.

Next I’d go with Norman Burton. Doesn’t remotely resemble Fleming’s Leiter physically, but he has a good rapport with Connery in Diamonds as @ToTheRight mentions and the attitude is there.

John Terry sits or stands in front of the camera as the script would have him and delivers all of his lines in a more or less human cadence in The Living Daylights.

Jack Lord was rather too serious for my taste—like he thought he was starring in some 40s noir.

Not a fan of Wright’s interpretation either. He’s dour and grumbly and just a hair less serious than Lord. May as well have made him some other character IMO.

Whoever they cast next, I hope they bring a bit more of the spirit of Fleming’s Leiter to the role.
    Nutter's Felix is a block of wood to me. Lord had the benefit of being a believable opposite number to Connery.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Van Nutter strikes me as a guy who was brought in just because he’s pals with one of the producers.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    It's difficult casting a good Felix Leiter. You want someone who not only has good chemistry with the actor playing Bond, but also someone who has a stand-out screen presence which contrasts with, but doesn't outshine, Bond.

Yeah I think the suggestion of James Garner is a lovely one, but a possible problem is that he was almost too charismatic and you'd want it to be a buddy movie with the two of them! Or y'know: The Persuaders :D
    I'm 50/50 on whether Leiter should return for the next one. Obviously it'd be soon after Wright's Leiter died. Then again, I suspect the majority of audiences wouldn't care, especially given the gap between NTTD and Bond 26. It'll likely be very consciously rebooting the series too so it'd work. I'd personally like to see a Leiter a little older than our next Bond (so late 30s to early 40s) and I'd love to see a version of the character with a prosthetic leg and hand who is 'on loan' to the CIA for specific jobs.

Yes I think with Felix I'm not sure if I'm bothered if he's in it. If they have a great idea for him then fine, but equally I don't miss him in the movies he doesn't appear. I don't really know what he's like.
  • Who could have pulled off Felix for Brosnans Bond? Still don't understand having Wade over a rebooted Felix character.

1. Bernie Casey
    2. Jeffrey Wright
    3. David Hedison
    4. Norman Burton
    5. Rik Van Nutter
    6. Jack Lord
    7. John Terry
    8. Cec Linder

Nutter's Felix is a block of wood to me. Lord had the benefit of being a believable opposite number to Connery.

A block of wood? C'mon, just look at the range in expression he exhibits:

rik_main.jpg

Rik-Nutter.png

rik2.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    You have to forgive him @Some_Kind_Of_Hero. He was probably too distracted to put much effort into “acting”, since this was waiting for him at home!! :))
    740full-anita-ekberg.jpg
  • That would be distracting, @Dwayne.

rik_main.jpg
    "I wonder if Annie’s making liver and onions again."

Rik-Nutter.png
    "God, I hope it’s not liver and onions again."

rik2.jpg
    "I’m going to be sick if it’s liver and onions again."
    Who could have pulled off Felix for Brosnans Bond? Still don't understand having Wade over a rebooted Felix character.

1. Bernie Casey
    2. Jeffrey Wright
    3. David Hedison
    4. Norman Burton
    5. Rik Van Nutter
    6. Jack Lord
    7. John Terry
    8. Cec Linder

rik_main.jpg

Rik-Nutter.png

rik2.jpg

:))

But seriously, I have to defend Rik Van Nutter's performance a bit. It's not great, but I like him in the movie. He's cool in his own way. And he looks more like my idea of Leiter than Cec Linder or Norman Burton (I still like Cec, and love Norman because he's hilarious).

I have prepared this chart to demonstrate Rik's acting range.

asx8bOJ.png

Did you know he was an acting teacher? Steven Seagal was among his students.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 13,889
    Loving the Rik Van Nutter love. Nuance is key.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,526

1. Bernie Casey
    2. Jeffrey Wright
    3. David Hedison
    4. Norman Burton
    5. Rik Van Nutter
    6. Jack Lord
    7. John Terry
    8. Cec Linder

rik_main.jpg

Rik-Nutter.png

rik2.jpg

I have absolutely no memory of this actor playing Felix in any Bond film. Not a good sign :))

There are probably so many Felixes because he's an excellent spy and has extensive plastic surgery between each mission to stay one step ahead of the opposition.

Every morning Bond wakes up and thinks to himself "I wonder what Felix is going to f***ing look like today".
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited September 2022 Posts: 4,401
    Felix is a highly dedicated CIA agent. Even went through the trouble of going through an experimental skin pigmentation procedure to help cover his identity.

We need a Felix origin story. Starting with his upbringing in Milwaukee his recruitment into the CIA. Ending with him tasked to meet Bond in Jamaica.

An Amazon Prime original
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I have absolutely no memory of this actor playing Felix in any Bond film. Not a good sign :))
    :))
    Felix is a highly dedicated CIA agent. Even went through the trouble of going through an experimental skin pigmentation procedure to help cover his identity.

We need a Felix origin story. Starting with his upbringing in Milwaukee his recruitment into the CIA. Ending with him tasked to meet Bond in Jamaica.

An Amazon Prime original

I wouldn't put it past them!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Great work @mattjoes ^:)^
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Maybe Felix can be a woman next time around.
  • Lol, @mattjoes, he was the true man of a thousand faces.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    echo wrote: »
    Maybe Felix can be a woman next time around.

No, just no! [-X
    Felicity Leiter
    Maybe bring in Cedar Leiter from Gardner's For Special Services. I'm sure we'd all like to see a scene at the end of the film where Felix essentially gives Bond permission to bang his daughter.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Great work @mattjoes ^:)^
    Thanks, but of course, I was just taking a page from the infamous Steven Seagal Emotion Chart. (Anything to sneak Seagal into a conversation ;) )
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Felicity Leiter
    Maybe bring in Cedar Leiter from Gardner's For Special Services.

Yeah I was gonna suggest Cedar Leiter. As another wooden possibility.

To be fair Rik Van Nutter could emote with the best of them when the situation warranted. She has a lovely mouth, that Anita.

NVpIM2ptOHhYRzVmUk5rM1NrNlFxYVV6enV4aGk2UFRJMmxPckdDUUVNWTdQY3lyRVh1MVJxdGZEWjFoajc5SEdoOGxmTU5WVC9Zb1NhN2ZiNFV3NFYrV1drQ0hsUUI4ZjhibTVBRjlucEh4QkcySThuOHo5UXNtekpBWGZ2cWdnQmcrMU9zZlR2U0xUY2M0L2RMVWRjR2Q1STArcG80cUxJQUFFYWJWYlplTkFNU01aQnk5MUZtam1VOXVYUk9UcDI4SW5FYWJVQXZFa3BhUkljcVlGSmptY2p3TUYxcUw3M2o5Uk5oNFp3b3B2ZlVxejBDOExMdkRFcnVEVE1DL24zRGJnd1lmZThXMkMrQ08zTHNoNlE9PQ==?square=0
    5374141.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    The reason there are so many Felixes is because everyone knows that a cat has nine lives.
    mattjoes wrote: »

asx8bOJ.png
    Just wondering in which of these images does the chameleon-like Rik wear his magical pants-no shorts-no pants-no shorts?

Amused? Confused? Aroused?
  • QBranch wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »

asx8bOJ.png
    Just wondering in which of these images does the chameleon-like Rik wear his magical pants-no shorts-no pants-no shorts?

Amused? Confused? Aroused?

Mischievous. ;)
    Mischievous. ;)
    Of course! Thanks for the briefs explanation.
    NVpIM2ptOHhYRzVmUk5rM1NrNlFxYVV6enV4aGk2UFRJMmxPckdDUUVNWTdQY3lyRVh1MVJxdGZEWjFoajc5SEdoOGxmTU5WVC9Zb1NhN2ZiNFV3NFYrV1drQ0hsUUI4ZjhibTVBRjlucEh4QkcySThuOHo5UXNtekpBWGZ2cWdnQmcrMU9zZlR2U0xUY2M0L2RMVWRjR2Q1STArcG80cUxJQUFFYWJWYlplTkFNU01aQnk5MUZtam1VOXVYUk9UcDI4SW5FYWJVQXZFa3BhUkljcVlGSmptY2p3TUYxcUw3M2o5Uk5oNFp3b3B2ZlVxejBDOExMdkRFcnVEVE1DL24zRGJnd1lmZThXMkMrQ08zTHNoNlE9PQ==?square=0
    Anita may have looked happy in these photos, but we all know who wore the trousers-no shorts-no trousers-no shorts in that household.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    He needed to blow up his shorts.