Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,021
    If Kennedy is a jackass, I’d attribute that more to her recent years as a Fox News talking head rather than her tenure on MTV 30 years ago.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,935
    talos7 wrote: »
    When doing MI marathons prior to the release of a new entry, I’ve tried to rewatch MI:2 and can’t get past the first 20 or 30 minutes . Next time I’ll pass on it.

It is pretty atrocious, I view MI:2 more as a comedy now it does veer towards the its so bad its good category for me. Its most definitely the DAD of the Mission Impossible series. I plan a series re watch soon.

I think it's stupid, and more of a Bond knockoff and not really an M:I film at all*, but it is watchable 90s fun. Probably better post-pub.

*I would say that even despite that, the climax does at least feature Ethan pulling a clever spy trick on the baddie, which is more of an M:I ending than MI3 has.
    If Kennedy is a jackass, I’d attribute that more to her recent years as a Fox News talking head

Oh that does add up.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Damn this Fox News revelation is a real plot twist. I’m officially switching sides with this new information.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll never not love M:I2. It gets cheesier as the years progress and some of it is soap opera levels of ridiculousness but it's a great action movie and has some of my favorite characters in the series. I wish Thandiwe Newton would've returned.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll never not love M:I2. It gets cheesier as the years progress and some of it is soap opera levels of ridiculousness but it's a great action movie and has some of my favorite characters in the series. I wish Thandiwe Newton would've returned.

Can't say I'm a fan of MI2 - waaaay too John Woo. That's what they wanted, apparently, and that's what they got. However, I'm with you on Ms Newton and her character. Looking a little more recently, I'd have liked seeing Paula Patton return. They certainly set it up, and then...nope. When she takes a very brief moment to remove her dress shoes before taking off after Lea Seydoux's character in MI:GP it is superb ! Of course she should !
    That's what I wanted too! Well, at the time, I didn't care and knew nothing of Woo really, since I was too young, but his name certainly stood out to me at a young age after I first saw it (and the countless rewatches afterward).

And yes, her character was great and had some fine chemistry with Cruise. Paula was excellent too and I loved the hint of attraction shared between her and Ethan without it leaning entirely into relationship territory.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah, I think she'd be even better now in fact, but I think she's moved away from that kind of stuff.
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah, I think she'd be even better now in fact, but I think she's moved away from that kind of stuff.

Indeed, unfortunately. She seems to enjoy the sci-fi sandbox afforded to her of late, particularly with Westworld.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,935
    I remember her recently telling quite a funny story about Cruise on set though: it was something like he had a pimple, but he has such a high metabolism that she watched him grow pimple in just a couple of hours :D

Ah yes, here it is: https://decider.com/2020/07/07/thandie-newton-tom-cruise-zit-mission-impossible-2/
    Weirdest superpower.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 40,459
    That's gold. I wonder if the scene in question is their argument on the balcony when he's trying to get her to infiltrate Ambrose's compound and schemes.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I'm going to have to watch 2 again. I'm sure I've seen it, I don't really remember it (not a good sign)... I feel like I would have if it was hilariously bad.

I remember being really (jokingly) bitter because Rogue Nation and Spectre came out either the same year or within very close proximity, and I felt like M:I handled the Solomon Lane archnemesis dynamic much better than Bond did with Blofeld in Spectre.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's gold. I wonder if the scene in question is their argument on the balcony when he's trying to get her to infiltrate Ambrose's compound and schemes.

Yeah from memory (which is pretty hazy of 2) it's pretty much that which is the closest thing to a dramatic conversation scene they have I think. There's one where they're sort of hiding in a bath together isn't there?
    I'm going to have to watch 2 again. I'm sure I've seen it, I don't really remember it (not a good sign)... I feel like I would have if it was hilariously bad.

I remember being really (jokingly) bitter because Rogue Nation and Spectre came out either the same year or within very close proximity, and I felt like M:I handled the Solomon Lane archnemesis dynamic much better than Bond did with Blofeld in Spectre.

RN and SP have a ton of eerie similarities and I'd say that the M:I crew handled them infinitely better than the Bond folks did, including the late night London finale (that also involves bombs and glass boxes).

@mtm, the bath scene is actually their first meeting, when she thinks she's robbing some precious jewelry while he's actually testing her to see firsthand her skills. They argue the following night, after their slo-mo, soap opera-esque car chase and post-sex. They're clearly hitting it off but then he reveals the target he wants her help with is her ex-boyfriend, Ambrose, which is when the two have a row.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,526

RN and SP have a ton of eerie similarities and I'd say that the M:I crew handled them infinitely better than the Bond folks did, including the late night London finale (that also involves bombs and glass boxes).

In my opinion, given the comparison, Spectre crumbled under the weight of expectation and legacy, which M:I didn't seem to have as much of a problem with.
    What I love about the first few M:I films is that they feel like each belong in totally separate universes with very minimal continuity in between aside from Cruise and Rhames. That was the result of Cruise giving his directors free reign. Woo wasn’t told to follow De Palma’s style, and likewise Abrams wasn’t told to conform to De Palma or Woo. We almost got an installment with David Fincher. Imagine a M:I film done in his style!

Because of that, part of looking forward to a new installment was seeing a new director bring their own take. And McQuarrie having become the main director of the latter half of the series kind of bums me. I guess Cruise is happy to keep working with him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This is a turn up; I'd heard a description of the Cinemacon intro but I didn't think it would get out into the wild.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He’s one of a kind. Pretty cool.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That's hilarious.
    What a stud.
    I think I’ll always be conflicted about him. I respect his commitment to filmmaking, but I can never respect him as a human being given his affiliation with Scientology. So whenever he does these kind of PR bits propping him up to have people express total adoration for Tom Cruise: The Movie Star, I see right through the BS.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Wow
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A nutter in real life, but he knows how to give his audience their monies worth. I can't fault that.
    I don't care that Cruise is into Scientology anymore than I care that Mel Gibson is Catholic or Spielberg is Jewish. Whatever religion they chose to follow has no bearing on whether I enjoy their work on screen.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    I don't care that Cruise is into Scientology anymore than I care that Mel Gibson is Catholic or Spielberg is Jewish. Whatever religion they chose to follow has no bearing on whether I enjoy their work on screen.

I’m not talking about merely him being religious. He’s in a position of leadership and influence in what I consider to be a cult.

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/27/scientologists-consider-tom-cruise-to-be-a-deity/amp/
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

I’m not talking about merely him being religious. He’s in a position of leadership and influence in what I consider to be a cult.

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/27/scientologists-consider-tom-cruise-to-be-a-deity/amp/

Don't you dare call my beloved Tom a cult leader. Where do you live?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »

Don't you dare call my beloved Tom a cult leader. Where do you live?

We know where he lives. This is blasphemy.
    The real blasphemy is Kirk Cameron’s existence.
  • cooperman2 wrote: »

Yeah that’s the issue, he’s really high up. This article goes into a lot of detail about the whole thing.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tom-cruises-dark-twisted-journey-to-scientologys-top-gun

That’s why I always feel a bit grim when any mention of that stuff is just dismissed with “well he’s a weirdo but he makes good films”. I just don’t think odd/weird is a strong enough word. I think it downplays the extent of what he’s involved in and the glimpses behind the movie star PR that we’ve been given. I had a similar moment to the author of that article watching Fallout. He’s racing through Paris on that nineT, no helmet, I’m sat there with my mouth open. Then it reminds me of an article I read about how some of his motorbikes were made for free by scientology slaves.

He does make good films, I’ll definitely watch the new MI at some point, and he is probably one of the last real “movie stars” around. And of course, we can separate the art and the artist, I get that. But I guess what bugs me about Cruise is that in his case, I never see much acknowledgement of what the artist actually seems to be like. All the unsavoury stuff just gets distilled down to him being “religious” and jumping on that sofa.
    mtm wrote: »
    This is a turn up; I'd heard a description of the Cinemacon intro but I didn't think it would get out into the wild.

He just gets better and better! :-bd