It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Venutius wrote: »
    Craig really excels at selling that dark humor wonderfully.
    Absolutely - it was exactly right for his version of Bond. The combination of Haggis's writing and Craig's acting was as good as it gets.

Precisely! For me, this is why that dry, “casually sadistic” tone makes DN/FRWL and CR/QOS two of the best double bills in the series. That’s right where I want my Bond.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    My friends call me Dominic
    I'm sure they do
    Yes - another great exchange, especially coupled with the tone of Craig's voice and the look on his face as he said it. Also loved Bream's sarcastic line to Felix: 'Yeah, you're right, we should only do business with nice people!' Great writing. Haggis was far and away the best writer Bond's had in the modern period.

Yeah mate, it's Daniel's perfect delivery that makes it one of my favourite lines in the series. In different hands it wouldn't have been as good
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Absolutely - it was exactly right for his version of Bond. The combination of Haggis's writing and Craig's acting was as good as it gets.

Precisely! For me, this is why that dry, “casually sadistic” tone makes DN/FRWL and CR/QOS two of the best double bills in the series. That’s right where I want my Bond.

Interesting you mention that because when I wrote my review of QOS for the site, I mentioned how it felt like the world that they built and all the intrigue felt extremely close to that tone and intrigue of From Russia With Love, which is no small feat. I think that’s another reason why I always appreciate QOS more after each viewing.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Agree, completely. CR and QOS were exactly what I wanted. All these years later, I still wish there'd been two more films before they changed the approach for SF.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Yeah mate, it's Daniel's perfect delivery that makes it one of my favourite lines in the series. In different hands it wouldn't have been as good
    Definitely. Dan's so good, he elevates pretty much anything. Even the little lines like 'I'm sure they do', 'It's time to get out', 'Don't bleed to death' and, as Agent Zero One mentioned, 'I don't think he smoked'. They're good lines, anyway, but Craig's delivery makes them even better. Whoever the new bloke turns out to be, he's really got his work cut out by having to follow Craig. After all the stick that Dan got when he was cast, it's ironic that the main criticism of the new guy is probably going to be 'He's not as good as Daniel Craig'! Funny old world...
    LALD and DN
    Definitely. Dan's so good, he elevates pretty much anything. Even the little lines like 'I'm sure they do', 'It's time to get out', 'Don't bleed to death' and, as Agent Zero One mentioned, 'I don't think he smoked'. They're good lines, anyway, but Craig's delivery makes them even better. Whoever the new bloke turns out to be, he's really got his work cut out by having to follow Craig. After all the stick that Dan got when he was cast, it's ironic that the main criticism of the new guy is probably going to be 'He's not as good as Daniel Craig'! Funny old world...

One would think so, but there are a significant commenters who complain that they want the same thing over and over, according to the "classic formula", even two years. They might not call it that, and would say "It is not a Bond movie" or some such. Of course, some of them might then complain "It's just the same thing !" when that is what gets delivered. Therefore, some of them may be bound to say, later on, "glad it is not DC any more !" Among them might be folks who don't like when a musical performer who has performed the same songs hundreds of times changes the arrangement or lyrics. In summary - you'll not please all the people all the time, so just proceed to strive for quality. I trust the current producers more in that regard than the initial ones, who would endeavor to crank out another one within a timeframe, no matter what, which lead to some awful slips in quality here and there, even in otherwise enjoyable films.
    Yes, if the new guy's more of a traditional Bond, there'll be plenty of people who'll be glad about it. But, like you, I'm more concerned with the quality than the box-ticking. At the time of QOS, Craig said 'You've got to forget that you're making a Bond film' and QOS did, indeed, avoid much of the formula and many of the tropes. I think that's where a lot of the criticisms about it not being very Bondian or more like a Bourne film came from. Me, I didn't mind in the slightest - I loved QOS on its own merits. I'm going to try to judge the new guy on his own merits too - dunno how successful I'll be at that, but I'm going to try!

That's exactly how to help a new incoming Bond cement himself as the new 007 so that audiences want to see that next movie with him to find out what happens next.....not just some standalone adventure with the same formula and different women/setting/scar.

• edited August 2022 Posts: 1,280

Interesting you mention that because when I wrote my review of QOS for the site, I mentioned how it felt like the world that they built and all the intrigue felt extremely close to that tone and intrigue of From Russia With Love, which is no small feat. I think that’s another reason why I always appreciate QOS more after each viewing.

FRWL and QoS leave you wanting to see more from the characters.....the music really helped add to the haunting factor of the surrounding environments for each film. The same can be said for OHMSS and LTK which were each the last if not only Bond films by their respective actors. You have all these folks online asking what-if the actors did one more movie. And that's where the series has often fallen into avoidable positions where they risk smaller audiences, ratings, and awards....persistency, consistency, and perseverance pays off better than formula following.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think the main problem with QoS is that the film tells a different story than the promotional material did. They were still claiming Bond was still becoming Bond, but in the film he's already the Bond that we know, his surroundings, however, have trouble keeping up. 'you'd be a pretty cold-hearted bastard if you didn't want revenge for the one you loved'. M is the one a step behind, not Bond. Same goes for the oil piping, that's meant for water, not oil.
    I guess the film better suits a little oloder audience, you can't expect teenagers to keep up, but teenagers had been the target audience for decades.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

FRWL and QoS leave you wanting to see more from the characters.....the music really helped add to the haunting factor of the surrounding environments for each film. The same can be said for OHMSS and LTK which were each the last if not only Bond films by their respective actors. You have all these folks online asking what-if the actors did one more movie. And that's where the series has often fallen into avoidable positions where they risk smaller audiences, ratings, and awards....persistency, consistency, and perseverance pays off better than formula following.
    I think the FRWL and QoS scores are cut from the same cloth in certain ways. They both make me think of minimalism, grittiness, and the darker sound of violas and celli. They both remind me of dark, slightly bitter chocolate. I don't know what is it with me and music-food analogies but there you have it.

Going off-topic for a moment here, but listening to the FRWL score, I was thinking of how much it reminds me of Barry's music for Zulu, especially in the use of timpani. Just like TMWTGG reminds me of The Tamarind Seed.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited August 2022 Posts: 554
    I think the main problem with QoS is that the film tells a different story than the promotional material did. They were still claiming Bond was still becoming Bond, but in the film he's already the Bond that we know, his surroundings, however, have trouble keeping up. 'you'd be a pretty cold-hearted bastard if you didn't want revenge for the one you loved'. M is the one a step behind, not Bond. Same goes for the oil piping, that's meant for water, not oil.
    I guess the film better suits a little oloder audience, you can't expect teenagers to keep up, but teenagers had been the target audience for decades.
    I think this is only half true. Bond isn't laser focused on revenge but he's clearly struggling with it. That's why Camile telling him revenge didn't satisfy her and him subsequently leaving Kabira alive is meaningful.
  • mattjoes wrote: »

I think the FRWL and QoS scores are cut from the same cloth in certain ways. They both make me think of minimalism, grittiness, and the darker sound of violas and celli. They both remind me of dark, slightly bitter chocolate. I don't know what is it with me and music-food analogies but there you have it.

Going off-topic for a moment here, but listening to the FRWL score, I was thinking of how much it reminds me of Barry's music for Zulu, especially in the use of timpani. Just like TMWTGG reminds me of The Tamarind Seed.

Dark chocolate! I agree it does sound like that. Have you listened to Still Holding On by Conjure One? It would have fit QoS in terms of story.
    Bond isn't laser focused on revenge but he's clearly struggling with it. That's why Camile telling him revenge didn't satisfy her and him subsequently leaving Kabira alive is meaningful.
    Yes, exactly. At the end, you can clearly see the conflict in Bond between his 'see the bigger picture' learned behaviour and his natural instinct to shoot Yusef in the face. Great scene, played brilliantly by Craig - not a word said, but his face conveys everything.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote: »

Dark chocolate! I agree it does sound like that. Have you listened to Still Holding On by Conjure One? It would have fit QoS in terms of story.

Yeah, the lyrics do fit. In my opinion, the song would need a different arrangement for a Bond film though. Could be done.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »

Yeah, the lyrics do fit. In my opinion, the song would need a different arrangement for a Bond film though. Could be done.

Interesting point!
    Well....

Here's where it gets very obvious that either Daniel Craig was directly involved or this song was made tailored to Bond....there's a moment in the last verse of the song where the music pauses or a while before it picks back up with Aruna singing "Still Holding On to love" ....that's a very similar common style among Daniel Craig's Bond. He's puase at moments in almost each of his films to let the emotion sink in with few words possible.

For instance, in QoS there is a scene where Bond stops for a moment as Camille wants him to end her life before the fire does.

Then there's the pretitle sequence in NTTD where Bond feels Madeleine has betrayed him and he stops for a moment in the car, having lost his faith in humanity.

Do you see Bond with the facial expression pausing for a moment amidst that song? David Arnold would have used this theme with hint notes throughout the movie and he could have created a new 007 theme with it if he wanted to....similar to Dead Don't Care About Vengeance.

Keep in mind, Daniel Craig was involved with the scripts and other aspect of production since day one of playing the role. In the first few years he was even involved behind the scenes of the 007 video games before that stopped by the time the last one came out.

The pause says it all. Without further development Still Holding On didn't become Bond but it's retained some of it.

• Wish The Bond Experience guy will interview David Arnold one day....but I also wish he'd talk more about QoS whenever he interviews anyone who's worked on the film especially Daniel Craig etc...he could be the guy who one day gets the ball rolling on a QoS re-edit or Daniel Craig-Cut. Or he could fans to push the producers to hire David Arnold again.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think this is only half true. Bond isn't laser focused on revenge but he's clearly struggling with it. That's why Camile telling him revenge didn't satisfy her and him subsequently leaving Kabira alive is meaningful.

Of course he's struggeling with it, it's what makes Craigs Bond so compelling. So much more so than any other. He's learned his lesson, is ahead of his environment every step of the way, but is still human. And it's in all the details. Including taking Vesper's and Yusef's picture and folding it in the middle..
  • I think the main problem with QoS is that the film tells a different story than the promotional material did. They were still claiming Bond was still becoming Bond, but in the film he's already the Bond that we know, his surroundings, however, have trouble keeping up. 'you'd be a pretty cold-hearted bastard if you didn't want revenge for the one you loved'. M is the one a step behind, not Bond. Same goes for the oil piping, that's meant for water, not oil.

Of course he's struggeling with it, it's what makes Craigs Bond so compelling. So much more so than any other. He's learned his lesson, is ahead of his environment every step of the way, but is still human. And it's in all the details. Including taking Vesper's and Yusef's picture and folding it in the middle..

And the emotion he expresses when confronting Yusef and the comfort of having prevented another Vesper with Corrine. Anybody notice how each actor in that room alone has had significant upward trajectories in their respective careers after that movie over the years?

I dunno, man, I reckon the day that Simon Kassianides spent having Eva Green lean against him for the QOS photos was the high point of his entire life, let alone his career! ;)
    I dunno, man, I reckon the day that Simon Kassianides spent having Eva Green lean against him for the QOS photos was the high point of his entire life, let alone his career! ;)

The dude has been in marvel shows and now mandalorian. He's making money.
    Yeah, but he'd swap it all to have Eva lean up against him one more time...
    Yeah, but he'd swap it all to have Eva lean up against him one more time...

Lol. He wasn't responding to the question of whether he'd appear in a future Bond movie at the premiere of QoS.

He'd have played a much better Cyclops in NTTD....
  • Vesper and Yusef....if Amazon wants a Bond based series....it can be a prequel to CR without Bond and feature Felix and Beam as side characters.
    Wouldn't you think that if humor, fantasy, and not-down-to-earth make a return to the franchise it will keep production costs high and alienate enough audiences to make the fan base a niche audience again?

No I don’t because those are all staples of the franchise, and arguably the reason why it’s lasted so long. In fact I’d argue one of the reasons Quantum of Solace still gets looked down upon is because it lacks all of those elements. There is nothing wrong with desiring Bond films that are a little more down to earth and serious, but even the best examples of those types of thrillers like From Russia With Love or The Living Daylights still have those elements in tact. Without them, you’re left with just another generic action film, and in the case of QOS, one that feels too much like Jason Bourne, and not enough like James Bond.

But wasn't the series making Bond seen as too much of an action HERO when PB had the role? From TND onward the films were criticized by critics for that. CR also lacked a lot of humor with it strategically placed in the script to come off as smarter than quip-y and one linerish.

Bond has always been seen as an over the top action hero well before the Pierce Brosnan films, so I don’t think the issue with those movies is down purely to the humor and fantastical elements, more the writing and directing decisions made within those films, and I say this as one of the defenders of both TND (a film that I believe I previously described on this thread as generic and bland), and TWINE. I wouldn’t say Casino Royale lacked humor, it was much more subtle and witty than the humor found in the previous films. That scene in the car with Bond and Vesper where he states her cover name is “Tiffany Broadchest” is a perfect example. Heck even in the torture scene we have Bond joking about how he got Le Chiffre to “scratch his balls.” Humor has always been a component of Bond. Using QOS as an example, the scene where that basket of fruit was dropped and you have the old lady disappointed is almost something out of a Roger Moore film.

You mean from FYEO where the olives spill? I'm trying to think of more examples it was like a scene from an RM film...the grapes weren't funny in QoS because the film had a melancholic tone.

No that scene where Bond is chasing Mitchel and he bumps into some old lady trying to carry her basket of fruit (was it grapes? I can’t remember) and causes her to drop it, afterwards you get like a quick 2-3 second reaction from her, which feels very much like something in the Roger Moore era. QOS does have a melancholic tone to the movie, but unfortunately I think it works to the detriment of the movie in the end.

Well there was plenty of comic relief in QOS from the dialogue and situations. Elvis' sole purpose was that. And pretty much Mr. Beam. Which I thought worked very well to move things along.

It was cherries. And yeah that was funny.

Quantum-of-Solace-0188.jpg
    Quantum-of-Solace-0189.jpg

I love that scene, yes it is sort of Roger Mooresque but it works fine in QOS.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Wouldn't you think that if humor, fantasy, and not-down-to-earth make a return to the franchise it will keep production costs high and alienate enough audiences to make the fan base a niche audience again?

No I don’t because those are all staples of the franchise, and arguably the reason why it’s lasted so long. In fact I’d argue one of the reasons Quantum of Solace still gets looked down upon is because it lacks all of those elements. There is nothing wrong with desiring Bond films that are a little more down to earth and serious, but even the best examples of those types of thrillers like From Russia With Love or The Living Daylights still have those elements in tact. Without them, you’re left with just another generic action film, and in the case of QOS, one that feels too much like Jason Bourne, and not enough like James Bond.

But wasn't the series making Bond seen as too much of an action HERO when PB had the role? From TND onward the films were criticized by critics for that. CR also lacked a lot of humor with it strategically placed in the script to come off as smarter than quip-y and one linerish.

Bond has always been seen as an over the top action hero well before the Pierce Brosnan films, so I don’t think the issue with those movies is down purely to the humor and fantastical elements, more the writing and directing decisions made within those films, and I say this as one of the defenders of both TND (a film that I believe I previously described on this thread as generic and bland), and TWINE. I wouldn’t say Casino Royale lacked humor, it was much more subtle and witty than the humor found in the previous films. That scene in the car with Bond and Vesper where he states her cover name is “Tiffany Broadchest” is a perfect example. Heck even in the torture scene we have Bond joking about how he got Le Chiffre to “scratch his balls.” Humor has always been a component of Bond. Using QOS as an example, the scene where that basket of fruit was dropped and you have the old lady disappointed is almost something out of a Roger Moore film.

You mean from FYEO where the olives spill? I'm trying to think of more examples it was like a scene from an RM film...the grapes weren't funny in QoS because the film had a melancholic tone.

No that scene where Bond is chasing Mitchel and he bumps into some old lady trying to carry her basket of fruit (was it grapes? I can’t remember) and causes her to drop it, afterwards you get like a quick 2-3 second reaction from her, which feels very much like something in the Roger Moore era. QOS does have a melancholic tone to the movie, but unfortunately I think it works to the detriment of the movie in the end.

Well there was plenty of comic relief in QOS from the dialogue and situations. Elvis' sole purpose was that. And pretty much Mr. Beam. Which I thought worked very well to move things along.

It was cherries. And yeah that was funny.

Quantum-of-Solace-0188.jpg
    Quantum-of-Solace-0189.jpg

I love that scene, yes it is sort of Roger Mooresque but it works fine in QOS.

It's all about how it's executed....QoS did everything under an umbrella within the air of melancholy. What was funny didn't always make Bond himself laugh and that’s fine. It wasn't like NTTD or a movie from the 90s where Bond always had to be in on the jokes.
  • Let's get the pink elephant out of the way ...
    Of the 3 top mentioned actors: which do you think will best portray a QoS style of Bond?

A QoS style of Bond represents DC in his best and like the movie, the style ages better with time in addition to being able to be best at the time....

Please share your opinions in each and why:

Idris Elba- he was present at some after party with Daniel Craig much like RM was at the premiere of SC's last official Bond movie DAF. DC has supported his candidacy and the actor can certainly speak with his facial expressions and his stern silence. Elba can sure act and meshes better with the later DC version of Bond from SF to NTTD perhaps.

Tom Hardy- this guy has the serious grit which you'd find in the CR to QoS years. Like DC, he has a long list of independent films in addition to his mainstream films where he pulled off sacrificing stunts from his physical transformations playing characters like Ronson and Baine. His grittiness speaks for itself watching Mad Max Fury Road.....he can sure do a chase scene. He looks different in almost every role and much like SC and DC, it's hard to tell if he is a good or bad guy often with his acting. Physically, his face and body have looked drastically different in many films.

Henry Cavill- He was the front runner before DC. He's got class. He's not funny when he tries to be but he definitely has the 007 description kind of look similar to TD in TLD. Not sure how his style of Bond would become I am concerned that he will end up becoming another one of those people's choice Bond like PB who was also a bit screwed out of the role a decade before getting it but ending up not trying as hard and just standing in or coasting through his films with looks instead of taking an active presence behind the scenes for quality assurance like DC did.

Which of these actors is least likely to be comedic in an offsetting way?
    Out of those three, Tom Hardy's by far the best actor and I'd imagine he'd be both the least likely to be off-puttingly comedic and the most likely to succeed with QOS-style dark humour. He's probably five years too old for a new Bond, though. Cavill, I've only seen in Night Hunter and he didn't leave much of an impression on me. I've seen him in interviews, though, and he seems like he'd be good with light humour if they went that route. I hope they don't! Idris, I've never liked in anything I've seen him in. He's also nearly a decade too old for it. They're all probably too well-known to be seriously considered, too. Of the three, Cavill would be the best traditional Bond, with Hardy probably being the one to do the most interesting take on it.
    Out of those three, Tom Hardy's by far the best actor and I'd imagine he'd be both the least likely to be off-puttingly comedic and the most likely to succeed with QOS-style dark humour. He's probably five years too old for a new Bond, though. Cavill, I've only seen in Night Hunter and he didn't leave much of an impression on me. I've seen him in interviews, though, and he seems like he'd be good with light humour if they went that route. I hope they don't! Idris, I've never liked in anything I've seen him in. He's also nearly a decade too old for it. They're all probably too well-known to be seriously considered, too. Of the three, Cavill would be the best traditional Bond, with Hardy probably being the one to do the most interesting take on it.

With someone having to fill some big shoes off DC....I would refuse to watch the next Bond movie if they decide to go light hearted. It seems more important for the producers to focus on quality over quantity since each film costs a lot and runs a risk that studios can no longer afford to gamble on like they could back in the day when Cubby was just churning out and ignoring most of the literary material quality. He was recycling the GF formula over and over again.

Even if Tom Hardy is a bit older at least he doesn't require as much time to adjust to such a role since he's proved he can steal a performance and command attention.

If Idris gets the role, the productions can be filmed back to back in their own arc to save cost and time as well.

Age shouldn't be a concern until the producers really spend more years vetting a lesser known actor who they can attach with for a genuinely beneficial relationship for studios and audiences as well.

GL and PB had the worst fallout at the end.
    Tom Hardy - 5'9"
    And that's per IMdB, which might be generous
    Are we done ?