Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I know it’s unlikely but it occurred to me that the statement, “Nobody’s in the running “ could mean that they already have their Bond.
  • TJCathTJCath Netherlands
    talos7 wrote: »
    I know it’s unlikely but it occurred to me that the statement, “Nobody’s in the running “ could mean that they already have their Bond.

This... was thinking the same thing...and maybe that person is still a bit young, so they stretch time a bit, so he'll fit the bill...

A name that recently popped up is Thomas Doherty, who is being popular among youth since his role in new Gossip Girl... + he is Scottish
    TJCath wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

This... was thinking the same thing...and maybe that person is still a bit young, so they stretch time a bit, so he'll fit the bill...

A name that recently popped up is Thomas Doherty, who is being popular among youth since his role in new Gossip Girl... + he is Scottish

I had never heard of him;: at a glance , in this one photo , he has a vague Connery look. But after looking at more photos and a number of YouTube videos, he seems a bit soft, bordering on androgynous; I’m not picking up the alpha quality needed for Bond.

yNq3kbc.jpg
    Wow, he does look an awful lot like Sean Connery, doesn't he? I mean, just look at this still...

hqdefault.jpg

I'm not sure if I'd write him off to be honest. From what I can see of Youtube the top hits are not of him performing as an actor but in interviews and wearing stuff for Dior... I did watch a trailer for a film called The Invitation with him, and he does seem like a talented actor able to effectively portray a character in a way that's distinct from himself. Apparently he's very good in High Fidelity too... I dunno, it's not out of the realm of possibility but I don't have enough to go on.
    Oh I absolutely wouldn’t write him off. I do think he would need to put on a bit of quality weight.

Before someone says ‘ no one should be cast because the resemble a previous actor’, that’s a given, but it also should not be held against them.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,877
    He's definitely talented from what I've seen of him in clips... like I said anything's possible.

I do think we'll potentially see another backlash against the new Bond actor similar to what happened with Craig. I do think they'll want to go with someone very different to Daniel. They might bring in someone not unlike Doherty who would play a more quiet, perhaps intense (even more seductive?) version of the character, enigmatic and dangerous onscreen, but wouldn't necessarily immediately give off that 'alpha' vibe themselves. I can imagine fans criticising the new actor for looking too 'feminine' or 'soft' or whatever just by seeing their picture... can imagine more fans having a problem with it than if the new Bond weren't white honestly, haha.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Anyway... I feel like the upcoming film Bullet Train could be a good "Layer Cake" for Aaron Taylor-Johnson. A lot of the online talk about that film, from what I've seen myself, has been about him.

I feel it's going to be Dunkirk. Don't know who in Dunkirk, but one of the actors in it.

I do feel the problem with going from that film is that most of the actors feel just a bit... well, too similar to one another... Lowden's in there, although I've gone off him as a likely candidate.

That said, I'd keep an eye on Fionn Whitehead. He's too young at 24 at the moment, but going from Dunkirk there were moments in there where I'd have believed he was an 18 year old James Bond (just little watchful looks he gives here and there between his character looking afraid). He does have the classic 'look', if that's worth anything. He's actually a solid actor too. Anyway, perhaps see in about 10 years or so...

1499984333595.jpg

613f01a77f745d43959f152a9eced82a.jpg

It's a problem from the viewer (and one of the flaws of the movie imo), but from talent hunter it's a pool. I wouldn't have noticed Craig as James Bond material in Elizabeth, because I wasn't looking for Bond in that movie. I think Dunkirk is that kind of movie where actors get noticed, not by the public (although the film itself can be quite popular) as much as by the people that matter in the movie industry.

And yes, while Fionn is too young now, what happens if the next Bond movie takes six years to be released? He'd be a year older than Lazenby and two years younger than Connery when cast.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nice to have a new suggestion re:Doherty! I don’t mind the idea of him although it’s quite hard to find clips of him acting- it’s all face care regimes and interviews! :D
    edited June 2022 Posts: 7,964
    Who knows what reinventing means; it may be semantics, but I think reimagining would have been a better, less threatening words.

I’m still high on Chris Hemsworth. He’s got a great look, yes , he would trim down fir Bond, a good deep voice and charisma to spare. While Harry Styles is my dark horse, Hemsworth is one of my my traditional picks. This is from Extraction 2. I thoroughly enjoyed the first.

rxIsQKd.jpg
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 784
    Chris Hemsworth is too tall and his eyes are too small. Tom Doherty is interesting though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd have no argument with Hemsworth (apart from his inability to do a British accent: that's why I prefer him in Extraction!), he'd be fine, but I imagine they'd want someone a bit more of their own, if you know what I mean.
    mtm wrote: »
    I'd have no argument with Hemsworth (apart from his inability to do a British accent: that's why I prefer him in Extraction!), he'd be fine, but I imagine they'd want someone a bit more of their own, if you know what I mean.

Indeed I do, and can understand why.
    Anyway... I feel like the upcoming film Bullet Train could be a good "Layer Cake" for Aaron Taylor-Johnson. A lot of the online talk about that film, from what I've seen myself, has been about him.

I feel it's going to be Dunkirk. Don't know who in Dunkirk, but one of the actors in it.

I do feel the problem with going from that film is that most of the actors feel just a bit... well, too similar to one another... Lowden's in there, although I've gone off him as a likely candidate.

That said, I'd keep an eye on Fionn Whitehead. He's too young at 24 at the moment, but going from Dunkirk there were moments in there where I'd have believed he was an 18 year old James Bond (just little watchful looks he gives here and there between his character looking afraid). He does have the classic 'look', if that's worth anything. He's actually a solid actor too. Anyway, perhaps see in about 10 years or so...

1499984333595.jpg

It's a problem from the viewer (and one of the flaws of the movie imo), but from talent hunter it's a pool. I wouldn't have noticed Craig as James Bond material in Elizabeth, because I wasn't looking for Bond in that movie. I think Dunkirk is that kind of movie where actors get noticed, not by the public (although the film itself can be quite popular) as much as by the people that matter in the movie industry.

And yes, while Fionn is too young now, what happens if the next Bond movie takes six years to be released? He'd be a year older than Lazenby and two years younger than Connery when cast.

True. If you're not looking for something you won't necessarily see it. Even then it can pass most people by.

I can't say if the guy will be 'ready' for Bond after six years. It may not even be a case of age necessarily (I do think 24 is too young for Bond, but what about 28? Or 29, which was Lazenby's age? It depends on the actor, their ability to convincingly play a seasoned secret agent, and what the film itself requires from this version of Bond). Like I said though, he's worth keeping an eye on.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2022 Posts: 5,869
    My problem with Hemsworth is that I don't want the James Bond franchise to just be another thing identifiable with him and his other franchises. He's done so much, and is even now doing the Mad Max/Furiosa prequel, and not just him, I have the same problem with Elba and Cavill. And whether he can do an accent or not, to cast him would be a waste of British talent in my opinion.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Amazing to think that Lazenby was only 29. I'd forgotten that. He certainly looked older. He did a brilliant job really, considering his age.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 338
    manover wrote: »
    Wasn't it obvious they were going to take their time?
    Especially with the ending in NTTD.
    I think a couple of years to await events/ find the right actor/ get the tone right is very reasonable.
    NTTD was released jn 2021..of course it will take 3/ 4 years to get the right actor and script in place.
    Eon is not marvel with multiple characters to make movies every 6 months.

Cubby was able to swap actors without missing a beat on the production timescale.

Sounds more like an excuse for Babs and Michael to put their feet up for a couple of (more) years. They’ve already had since 2015 to plan for post-Craig.

Anyone else get the feeling that Babs and Michael have creatively dried up?
  • slide_99slide_99 USA

1499984333595.jpg

I noticed this guy in Dunkirk, too. He could definitely pull off a more suave, understated Bond along the lines of Dalton.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    slide_99 wrote: »

1499984333595.jpg

I noticed this guy in Dunkirk, too. He could definitely pull off a more suave, understated Bond along the lines of Dalton.

No he couldn’t. You’re all really grasping at straws here…
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    QsCat wrote: »

1499984333595.jpg

And what pray tell makes you an authority to make such a comment?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Troy wrote: »
    I think a couple of years to await events/ find the right actor/ get the tone right is very reasonable.
    NTTD was released jn 2021..of course it will take 3/ 4 years to get the right actor and script in place.

Cubby was able to swap actors without missing a beat on the production timescale.

Sounds more like an excuse for Babs and Michael to put their feet up for a couple of (more) years. They’ve already had since 2015 to plan for post-Craig.

Cubby was going to replace Moore with Brolin…; I believe he spoke to and was the catalyst behind Gavin… Spoke with Reynolds… Adam West…. Clint Eastwood…

If his daughter didn’t take over, it could be perceived Cubby was trying to Americanize Bond to win over the US audience…
    You honestly have no idea what goes on behind the curtain… Let the process play out and in the interim enjoy the books and previous films.

Most of all — enjoy life!
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Benny wrote: »
    QsCat wrote: »

1499984333595.jpg

And what pray tell makes you an authority to make such a comment?

Well, the 'along the lines of Dalton' was very presumptuous. Why Dalton in particular? Also the 'he could definitely pull off'. Again very presumptuous. Based on what exactly? If someone were to say 'maybe he could', that would be more reasonable, but to say he could definitely pull off a Bond like Dalton is going a bit too far.
    I just don't see anything suggesting he could play Bond myself. :-?
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Maybe eon will go for a mature age scooby doo gang again like this popular quintet? ;)
    FWlMjc6WQAAzvIL?format=jpg&name=medium
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Love that that was the cast of a blockbuster action movie :D

They will take their time to build up anticipation and distance themselves from Craig’s tenure.

I bet they’ve kept their eyes open but times change and so do the options available to them. They have a lot on the line since it is a large family owned franchise that increasingly relies on each cinematic iteration being successful. I doubt the next film would struggle to attract box office in any case, but they could still miss the opportunity to reinvigorate and expand the fan base for the long term. Amazon will get it when they inevitably fail to create ROI on their investment in LoTR.

I’d take my time until I was convinced I was heading in the right direction with a clear vision. Or I would just sign a safe bet like fazzie, murphy or elba and get on with it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think, in all fairness, Q, Sir Frederick, and M, could be excused. Given their respective positions. If that photo was taken again, on the next film, it would look very different.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited July 2022 Posts: 1,318

As you may have read on here, count me in. I wouldn't be particularly sad if they'd leave the franchise. To me they are not up to the task anymore. I never liked Craig a whole lot, neither most of Pierce his films, so that was a miss. I find CR his only truly good film and that was mostly thanks to Campbell. The ones that followed after weren't really my cup of tea. The whole NTTD debacle, also creatively, is the end of the line for me. That is my opinion, deal with it.

And now we have to wait even more years, probably three or so before they even put anything on film is insulting to me. As a fan, who knows how things can be done differently, better. The production, that is. Also because it has been done before, better, many times. There no longer seems to be an importance or incentive to entertain the hundreds of millions of Bond fans around the world. There are a thousand plotlines I can solely conjure up in this day and age where Bond saves the world, yet again. Why can't they? Why does Bond need to be reinvented? What is there to reinvent? Some things are perfect as they are, as they are elemental at their core. That is why Bond has been loved throughout the decades.

For effs sake just cast Aidan Turner, go either period or modern. Get Campbell on one last time as the good man created two of the best Bond films GE and CR. Rake in a billion dollars and count your blessings.

For effs sake just cast Aidan Turner, go either period or modern. Get Campbell on one last time as the good man created two of the best Bond films GE and CR. Rake in a billion dollars and count your blessings.

Campbell is old though. The rumoured Nolan/Aidan pairing might come to fruition and wouldn’t be too terrible, would however not be very interesting either. Aidan does need a good director to bring out the best in him (but neither is he alone in needing that).
    It's certainly fun, IMO to push the Aidan Turner advocacy to interminable lengths. I do think the man looks good for a potential Bond.

Aidan-Turner.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    It's certainly fun, IMO to push the Aidan Turner advocacy to interminable lengths. I do think the man looks good for a potential Bond.

Aidan-Turner.jpg

I do like him (I've never seen Poldark but I did see potential in his performance in The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot) but I'm starting to have this irrational weariness every time I see his name just because of the manner in which he has been repeatedly suggested.
  • QsCatQsCat London

Campbell is old though. The rumoured Nolan/Aidan pairing might come to fruition and wouldn’t be too terrible, would however not be very interesting either. Aidan does need a good director to bring out the best in him.

Yeh he’ll be 80 when production time comes around. He may still be up to the task though- seems to have always had a lot of energy! I don’t imagine he’d want to do it though..
    I read recently that Roger Michell was going to direct Quantum but then left the project as there was no script… would have liked to see him direct one, but he sadly died last year…