The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,341
    Men who look like woman drivers.......😁
    FWmXbHMXkAEoEkG?format=jpg&name=large
    Stunt Driver Mark Higgins as Eve Moneypenny on location in Adana, Turkey during filming for the pre-title sequence of Skyfall
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Did he shave his arms?
    edited July 2022 Posts: 4,311
    An article in The Guardian reports that Ferrari asked to be excepted from an EU law to phase out petrol- and Diesel engines until 2035. The plea was rejected - in my opinion rightly so. I am curious to know what you other petrolheads think. Are we not rather motorcar heads, irrespective of what powers the vehicle?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Hadn’t heard of that, yes that sounds properly cheeky of them. I’ll miss petrol, but the world moves on and the next generation won’t miss it.
    And it’s not like electric can’t be exciting:
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    zebrafish wrote: »
    An article in The Guardian reports that Ferrari asked to be excepted from an EU law to phase out petrol- and Diesel engines until 2035. The plea was rejected - in my opinion rightly so. I am curious to know what you other petrolheads think. Are we not rather motorcar heads, irrespective of what powers the vehicle?

Aviation has had its move from inline pistons and radials to turboprops and jets. Neither of the latter will ever get close to the emotion of the former, but it doesn't mean they hold their own. It's just different. Same goes for steamtrains - electric/dieselelectric.
    I agree with your post, nevertheless I have riends that would not want to buy an electric car, citing claims that the electricty provided is not "clean" anyway. I suspect they just want to cling on to the tried and tested.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I agree with your post, nevertheless I have riends that would not want to buy an electric car, citing claims that the electricty provided is not "clean" anyway. I suspect they just want to cling on to the tried and tested.

yes, those are just random reasons. Mass produced energy, even if it isn't green, is still more efficient than locally produced (read: engine) energy. And all those stories about the need for certain elements, and the production of those, beeing less environmentally friendly and thus preferring gasoline cars is just as bonkers. They completely ignore the time, energy and pollution (!) that gasoline/petrol production has caused.

I don't know (and nobody knows) where electric technology will take us, or if hydrogine will be a part of the transition as well. Fact is electric engines are far more efficient than fuel-burning ones, and one way or another will replace petrol cars completely.

Still, knowing all that, I'm also not ready to make the change, and hope my next car can be a guilia, before I go fully electric or hydro, or hybrid.

The only valid argument I've heard up until now is that some people need to drive long distance often, and the routes they take don't have the infrastructure necessary. Still, hybids can step in there. I've recently driven one and though it was a big SUV, it still was more efficient than most smller cars.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I'm not in the market for a new car, but I think I'd certainly like a hybrid right now if I were. They seem like a pretty good idea to me.
    I'd have no real objection to fully electric in the course of things. The infrastructure and tech is improving all the time although not there quite yet. I will miss the thrill of changing gears in a sportscar, but it's hardly a huge sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.

The item on last week's Top Gear about synthetic petrol seemed rather amazing to me. If they can get a proper production going on that it seems like a great solution to keeping old combustion cars going in the future.
    Never noticed this in JAWS 2 too
    FTwm7sHXEAERENN?format=jpg&name=medium
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! Excellent!

really doesnt look sexy enough for a BOnd-film does it? this one is better: https://www.pal-v.com/
    Little nelly v2.0

really doesnt look sexy enough for a BOnd-film does it? this one is better: https://www.pal-v.com/
    Little nelly v2.0

Yes, or this one.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I kind of wonder who those things are for. Anyone who can afford one can most probably also afford a very nice car and a good little plane if they wanted them.

Little nelly v2.0

Yes, or this one.

cool, but also... sort of taking the fun out of it, you're not in control anymore... at all.
    mtm wrote: »
    I kind of wonder who those things are for. Anyone who can afford one can most probably also afford a very nice car and a good little plane if they wanted them.

well apparently the pal-v got a lot of interest from emergency services.

A multi million dollar f1 ferrari from yesterdays gp that ferrari wants to keep building ? :-O

the King of cars.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 4,311
    I am having a hard time identifying the car on the right. Does anyone have a clue?

ODItNDg0NC5qcGVn.jpeg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Looks like a Panhard 24.
    Thanks a lot, I have never seen one in real life. Pretty cool-looking, though badly parked in the second image :-)

1495528116.1849.jpg
    Panhard-24-C-01.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha! That's insane :D
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,341
    The Toyota 2000GT story, Yamaha-built

For the Croesuses among you.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Hyundai N Vision 74 concept

FXshKXCVsAMx075?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    FXshKaAVQAAtxZy?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    FXshIasUsAEDwiG?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Go-go Gadgetmobile! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 13,882
    I'm getting DeLorean vibes.

6q4c3176eo86.png

Is there a connection between Hyundai and DeLorean that I am not aware off? It can't be a coincidence.
    I was thinking more in the lines of an Audi Quatro 88
    2354_rd.jpg
    Both cars bear a certain resemblance to the Hyundai concept and it has the 1980s written all over it. In my opinion, in 2023 Hyundai should be brave and go for a much more modern design language. Unfortunately, their latest designs for the Ioniq 6 and Seven-concept are not that exciting, either.

hyundai-ioniq-6-vorstellung-1200x900.jpg

hyundai-seven-concept.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They're pretty bold!
    mtm wrote: »
    They're pretty bold!

I'd call it mnimalistic ;-) Anyway, The N vision concept I find interesting, but these two...

I'm not very fond of this new design language and I wonder how it's goin to hold up. Saw a Citroen Xantia the other day and was stunned at how dated the design was. The BX, allthough clearly an 80ties model, has aged far better.