Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    OK, I'm sold. Question is, will it be available for streaming in Germany soon?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    zebrafish wrote: »
    OK, I'm sold. Question is, will it be available for streaming in Germany soon?

In the UK we have to wait, apparently Paramount + becomes available in the UK in Summer.
    Very impressed with SNW's look, feel, music and critical reactions so far...................So far.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Picard S2 Ep 10 words that come to mind... Disrespectful, fan fiction, an abomination. That was unbelievably bad writing.

Its likely season 3 won't reference any of this twaddle, as much as I want to see the Next Gen crew back I fear the worse.
    Loving SNW!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The pilot is available to watch for free on YouTube. Though I’m guessing it’s region locked.

The pilot is available to watch for free on YouTube. Though I’m guessing it’s region locked.

Will have a look cheers, I have a VPN on my TV so here is hoping it works.
    Star Trek Strange New Worlds pilot, best Trek I have watched in over a decade. Sets and score were great, the cast work extremely well together. I hope it continues to have this level of quality.
    I think it’s a good demonstration that these writers can at least do episodic television when the parameters are set for a jovial and adventurous tone.

It’s when they try to do serialized storytelling that we see things not adding up. PICARD and DISCO should have taken the DS9 route where episodes are still episodic but there’s still progression in the storyline. I’d even say the third season of ENTERPRISE did it just as good, if not better.
    I did like the Xindi season, Enterprise upped its game there, its a shame it was too late as a lot of viewers certainly people I knew had checked out already.

In SNW it was very evident the cast were having fun, Khan's ancester adds a lot to any given situation, La'an is like a grenade ready to go off at any given moment I like that and her back story is harrowing to say the least.

Even in STD there have been a few really good episodes though consistency is a major issue in the writing. Picard S2 apparently was a vanity project of Patrick Stewart, over all it really was very poor. Now we have SNW we don't need Picard anymore IMO, though I will watch the final season hoping for some semblance of quality and it will be great to see Next Gen cast one last time.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 8,000
    I don’t think PICARD was ever meant to be an ongoing thing. IIRC, they had originally considered just making it a limited series event where that first season was all we would get. But Stewart was game to make more seasons, but ultimately decided three was enough. He’s turning 82, so he’s gonna be even more selective of his work.

Given how S2 tied up things, that at least gives S3 more room to move in any direction and there’s been a writers shuffle between seasons due to SNW being in development. That’s probably why S3 is gonna play more as a TNG reunion. I previous seasons the writers were adamant that they weren’t just gonna do TNG 2.0. Now with different writers that’s obviously changed.
    In the same way that I don't outright hate any Trek series overall, I haven't disliked Picard - in fact, I think some of its episodes have been great, particularly the final two of this season - but I think it's safe to say it's the "weakest" of the five ongoing Trek series:

12: TAS
    11: VOY
    10: PIC
    9: LD
    8: PROD
    7: ENT
    6: TOS
    5: SNW (incredibly early ranking; if the rest of this show is as good as these first two episodes it's going all the way to second place)
    4: DISCO
    3: TNG
    2: Star Trek Continues (it counts IMO)
    1: DS9

I just feel really lucky to have as much Star Trek concurrently as existed in total pre-2017. Just six or seven years ago I was convinced I would never have new Star Trek on TV again.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Why doesn t Riker just say it? Why this elaborate aggressive build-up?
    Latest post by the producer of the Director’s Edition of THE MOTION PICTURE. I figured some of you in non-US countries would take interest.

VF77qHK_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I have to say 35 years on they all look well.

I have to say 35 years on they all look well.

A few look even better.
    Don't forget UK viewers Paramount + launches in 2 Days and then we will be able to watch Strange New Worlds and more importantly Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors Edition in 4K.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    From what I’ve seen of SNW it looks pretty good but seems to use snarky quips and banter between the characters a bit too much.
    In Alex Kurtzman Star Trek there is a lack of professionalism from Starfleet officers, a lot of them don't seem to have been trained particularly well.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,105
    Paramount Plus just appeared on FireTV for UK viewers a day early, Ijust signed up for the free 1 week trial and now rewatch Strange New Worlds episide One again. I am a happy person.

Star Trek The Motion Picture in 4K does not appear to be available yet.

I will be able to watch STD season 4 now also, still not watched it.

After quickly browsing there is some good content on here.
    DISCO S4 was alright, but unspectacular. The one thing I love about it is that there’s no villain, so it’s more about a conflict on how to resolve a situation rather than trying to beat the bad guys, which is notably refreshing. The Kurtzman era has become too reliant on villains, when Star Trek regularly used to have antagonists.
    DISCO S4 was alright, but unspectacular. The one thing I love about it is that there’s no villain, so it’s more about a conflict on how to resolve a situation rather than trying to beat the bad guys, which is notably refreshing. The Kurtzman era has become too reliant on villains, when Star Trek regularly used to have antagonists.

I watched STD seasons 1 - 3 amongst an uneven show there have been the odd good episode. Even when Trek is bad I will still watch it, its better than no Trek at all.

Hopefully SNW will deliver. I have Trek shows of old on Bluray and DVD, now having them all on a streaming service it's a good reason to rewatch them.

I have not watched DS9 for years though I have been holding out for a restoration. I will definitely rewatch Enterprise.
    Biggest flaws of DISCO so far is its use of characters and the pacing of the seasons. In the first season it felt like all the main characters had a very specific role to play because that was originally supposed to be an anthology show as envisioned by Bryan Fuller. However, subsequent seasons felt like they didn’t know what to do with all the characters, so sometimes they’ll be written off for good or temporarily. Adira seemed like a promising new character in S3, but with S4 it feels like they’re lost in the shuffle. This goes for other characters like Stamets and Tilly.

I think if DISCO adopted the episodic structure of SNW, that would help give the characters more opportunities to shine.
    TNG did character based episodes as well as any show, it helped build the great characters further. Admittedly Beverly Crusher had a few stinkers of an episode. Worf and Data centric episodes were always great.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh no I hated the Worf episodes. Usually it meant lots of Klingon 'honour' boredom, but the one where he broke his back was possibly the dullest 45mins of Trek ever committed to film.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 8,000
    Worf was better used on DS9.

star-trek-trek.gif
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,105
    For UK viewers considering Paramount Plus I have read a few articles, it states some content will be staggered over weeks and there is currently no 4K or Dolby Atmos support. That explains why Star Trek The Motion Pictore Directors Cut in 4K is missing from there library.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/paramount-plus-uk-no-4k-hdr/
    This is very dissapointing.
    ---
    Kate Mulgrew at the UK launch yesterday...
    Hope the UK gets HDR/4K sooner than later.

When it originally started as CBS All Access, the best video/audio quality it offered was 720p 2.0 surround. Wasn’t until S2 of Disco that they finally added HDR and 5.1 capability. I think Dolby Atmos was only implemented this year.

There’s still a lot of things they could improve on. Their search engine needs a serious upgrade. All you can search for is movie titles at the moment, no option of searching for movies featuring an actor.
    Hope the UK gets HDR/4K sooner than later.

When it originally started as CBS All Access, the best video/audio quality it offered was 720p 2.0 surround. Wasn’t until S2 of Disco that they finally added HDR and 5.1 capability. I think Dolby Atmos was only implemented this year.

There’s still a lot of things they could improve on. Their search engine needs a serious upgrade. All you can search for is movie titles at the moment, no option of searching for movies featuring an actor.

I should not complain too much based on the US launch and to be fair the cost is £6.99 a month which is a good price. Hopefully we will get another tier option soon so I can watch ST:TMP.

I read SNW and STD are shown in 4K in the US.