Star Wars (1977 - present)

1222223225227228236

Comments

  • Posts: 1,150
    Shadow of the Sith sounds great. I love the excerpt that was released.
    I’m very excited by all of the incoming Star Wars content!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,289
    I seriously hated the recent sequel trilogy.
    But I loved Madalorian seasons one & two. The final episode is one of my favourite hours of Star Wars, period.
    But then- The Book Of Boba Fett. Not very good IMO. And the episode with Luke was just too much. And now what? Grogu is gonna tag along with Mando for more adventures?
    My Son has cancelled Disney+ and I told him I had no problem with that. I'm basically done with the new overload of Star Wars stuff, anyway. And Marvel stuff too, for that matter.
    If I hear great things from my friends about Mandalorian season three or Obi-Wan I might get my own subscription to Disney+ in future, but I doubt that will happen...
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 3,050
    TR007 wrote: »
    Shadow of the Sith sounds great. I love the excerpt that was released.
    I’m very excited by all of the incoming Star Wars content!

    What I’m most excited about it for is seeing the relationship between Luke and Lando develop. They could be an interesting matchup that the sequels never sadly explored. It’s kind of like Seinfeld with George and Newman. A unique character teamup that could have gone far. But, both cases have certain dictators that didn’t allow it to happen. For Star Wars: Kathleen Kennedy, Michael Arndt, JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson. But points to JJ Abrams, Colin Trevorrow, Chris Terrio, and Derek Connolly for writing the dialogue that Lando talked about in TROS. For Seinfeld, the George and Newman teamup arguably didn’t happen because Jerry hates Newman, and Michael Richards always tried to get less of Newman becoming a fifth cast member. Racist in more ways than one. Wayne Knight did better career wise, other great characters. Michael Richards was a one-off hit wonder.

    https://comicbookmovie.com/tv/star_wars/obi-wan_kenobi/obi-wan-kenobis-writing-team-includes-toy-story-john-carter-and-wall-e-scribe-andrew-stanton-a192962#gs.w03j9a

    A good chance and choice of a writer for any Star Wars project.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I seriously hated the recent sequel trilogy.
    But I loved Madalorian seasons one & two. The final episode is one of my favourite hours of Star Wars, period.
    But then- The Book Of Boba Fett. Not very good IMO. And the episode with Luke was just too much. And now what? Grogu is gonna tag along with Mando for more adventures?
    My Son has cancelled Disney+ and I told him I had no problem with that. I'm basically done with the new overload of Star Wars stuff, anyway. And Marvel stuff too, for that matter.
    If I hear great things from my friends about Mandalorian season three or Obi-Wan I might get my own subscription to Disney+ in future, but I doubt that will happen...

    I don’t blame you for either Star Wars or Marvel. They do feel like feminism wrapped up in as many dumb people jokes. The main problem I have with is that the creators never give us a chance to breathe and focus on what we’re watching. They always have to cross promote their other shows and movies. And it burns people out. Marvel movies will probably go out like the western. Star Wars will have shades of popularity forever. That’s what you get when Disney owns you.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2022 Posts: 17,289
    I've never read Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy. I bought them, now it's time to read them. Live action has run its course for me.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 3,050
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I've never read Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy. I bought them, now it's time to read them. Live action has run its course for me.

    Same here!
  • Posts: 1,176
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I seriously hated the recent sequel trilogy.
    But I loved Madalorian seasons one & two. The final episode is one of my favourite hours of Star Wars, period.
    But then- The Book Of Boba Fett. Not very good IMO. And the episode with Luke was just too much. And now what? Grogu is gonna tag along with Mando for more adventures?
    My Son has cancelled Disney+ and I told him I had no problem with that. I'm basically done with the new overload of Star Wars stuff, anyway. And Marvel stuff too, for that matter.
    If I hear great things from my friends about Mandalorian season three or Obi-Wan I might get my own subscription to Disney+ in future, but I doubt that will happen...

    Yep.Pretty much agree with all this,
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,487

    The emperor is such a jolly fellow. I liked this scene better the first time I saw it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,846
    Can you blame him? He’s establishing an empire, massacring the Jedi Order, and toying with Yoda. He’s having the best time of his life!
  • Posts: 1,314
    I don’t see modern Star Wars as pro feminine propaganda any more than the originals were pro masculine propaganda.

    @chrisisall nails it though. Mando yes. Boba no. And then otherwise we’ve had mediocrity since 1983.

    Quite how the franchise continues the extent it does is baffling. And then we slate of stuff , Kenobi aside, does little to excite me. I don’t want more rebel stuff. I want Sith Lore. All the stuff that gets hinted at but never explained.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,846
    Star Wars gets a ton of goodwill because of the one-two punch that was the original and EMPIRE. If the latter had been a weaker sequel, I don’t think we would have seen such longevity.

    It’s the same reason studios try over and over to make the Terminator franchise a thing. Because T2 was such a hit, they all want that taste. But the more sequels/prequels/reboots they try, the more the franchise is diminished.

    This is why I always tell people “just stop at 2, there’s nothing left to tell”.

  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Posts: 3,050
    Star Wars gets a ton of goodwill because of the one-two punch that was the original and EMPIRE. If the latter had been a weaker sequel, I don’t think we would have seen such longevity.

    It’s the same reason studios try over and over to make the Terminator franchise a thing. Because T2 was such a hit, they all want that taste. But the more sequels/prequels/reboots they try, the more the franchise is diminished.

    This is why I always tell people “just stop at 2, there’s nothing left to tell”.

    I’m believing the same thing although there are rare stories that worked well as a third: Toy Story 3 and our own Goldfinger. Otherwise I generally agree about the rule of two (Star Wars joke aside).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 22,005
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Star Wars gets a ton of goodwill because of the one-two punch that was the original and EMPIRE. If the latter had been a weaker sequel, I don’t think we would have seen such longevity.

    It’s the same reason studios try over and over to make the Terminator franchise a thing. Because T2 was such a hit, they all want that taste. But the more sequels/prequels/reboots they try, the more the franchise is diminished.

    This is why I always tell people “just stop at 2, there’s nothing left to tell”.

    I’m believing the same thing although there are rare stories that worked well as a third: Toy Story 3 and our own Goldfinger. Otherwise I generally agree about the rule of two (Star Wars joke aside).

    I think Star Wars keeps delivering good stuff but excelling in almost every other area than story and acting. The spectacle, cutting-edge visuals, music, ... of the films have consistently been very good. In terms of story, however, we went from steak to popcorn. And the acting is sometimes spot-on, and then there's Jake Lloyd and Hayden.

    Look, I love SW. I continue to love the books, the games, the TV series and the films. Rogue One is a film I rate very high, up there with the first two in fact. And I'm not as anti-JJ as some seem to be, so I dig the recent stuff too. But, in all fairness, a film like Ep. IX feels like fanfic made by pros. Yet since salty popcorn can fill an empty stomach just as well, I fully enjoy Ep. IX, but I understand why others don't. I very much accept the accusation that SW has been Disneyfied, catering to the wee ones rather than to adults. Then again, SW has always been kids' material, but the kids from back then have now grown up and may not be able to tune in anymore. Adults see a new take on their beloved SW which drags in some of the old cast members just to get daddy's money too, only to see them killed off and be done with. I understand that this gets people angry. But while the Harry Potter audience may have been able to grow up parallel to the books, SW has always been about selling toys, regardless of the deeper themes hidden in the first few films and allegedly omitted from the later ones. In a way, even the original SW film was a Disney product just not made by Disney.

    What I will not agree with, however, is the accusation that "Star Wars" has turned into "Star Woke", as some put it. Depending on your definition of "woke", a word that seems to be given a thousand meanings by a thousand different people, we can say that SW has either always been "Star Woke" from the beginning, or is not "woke" at all. Some people appear so intimidated by the presence of women and coloured people that they seek objective reasons for being permitted to throw rocks at Kathleen Kennedy. Were Ridley and Boyega brought in because SW was previously accused of having too few women and not enough coloured people? Or did it happen because their energy and acting abilities are exactly what Abrams and others were looking for in their film? Better still, does it matter at all? Must we seek a reason? Whatever theirs may be, I have always enjoyed Ridley and Boyega in the recent trilogy; in fact, I regret that Finn ended up with so little to do. Because he's black? No, because he's a good actor whose energy I found electrifying in TFA.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,846
    Man, this sums up why stuff like Vader’s slaughtering of rebels in ROGUE ONE and Luke’s appearance in MANDO fall flat for me.



  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,289
    I disagree. But that may just be me. Vader in Rogue One & Luke in Mando freaked me just because I didn't expect them. More Luke in Boba Fett fell flat. IMHO. More Vader in will too. But maybe not. We'll see....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 22,005
    The appeal of Star Wars is largely the "badass" stuff. I will watch a Kubrick or Hitchcock if I want a great story. 😉
  • Posts: 1,314
    It’s all to do with what you do with these characters. The asteroid sequence is the most bad ass thing in the original trilogy, but it’s completely at service to the story.

    Boba endlessly trashing tattooine riding bare back in a rancor isnt. Imo.
  • Posts: 1,176
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Star Wars gets a ton of goodwill because of the one-two punch that was the original and EMPIRE. If the latter had been a weaker sequel, I don’t think we would have seen such longevity.

    It’s the same reason studios try over and over to make the Terminator franchise a thing. Because T2 was such a hit, they all want that taste. But the more sequels/prequels/reboots they try, the more the franchise is diminished.

    This is why I always tell people “just stop at 2, there’s nothing left to tell”.

    I’m believing the same thing although there are rare stories that worked well as a third: Toy Story 3 and our own Goldfinger. Otherwise I generally agree about the rule of two (Star Wars joke aside).

    I think Star Wars keeps delivering good stuff but excelling in almost every other area than story and acting. The spectacle, cutting-edge visuals, music, ... of the films have consistently been very good. In terms of story, however, we went from steak to popcorn. And the acting is sometimes spot-on, and then there's Jake Lloyd and Hayden.

    Look, I love SW. I continue to love the books, the games, the TV series and the films. Rogue One is a film I rate very high, up there with the first two in fact. And I'm not as anti-JJ as some seem to be, so I dig the recent stuff too. But, in all fairness, a film like Ep. IX feels like fanfic made by pros. Yet since salty popcorn can fill an empty stomach just as well, I fully enjoy Ep. IX, but I understand why others don't. I very much accept the accusation that SW has been Disneyfied, catering to the wee ones rather than to adults. Then again, SW has always been kids' material, but the kids from back then have now grown up and may not be able to tune in anymore. Adults see a new take on their beloved SW which drags in some of the old cast members just to get daddy's money too, only to see them killed off and be done with. I understand that this gets people angry. But while the Harry Potter audience may have been able to grow up parallel to the books, SW has always been about selling toys, regardless of the deeper themes hidden in the first few films and allegedly omitted from the later ones. In a way, even the original SW film was a Disney product just not made by Disney.

    What I will not agree with, however, is the accusation that "Star Wars" has turned into "Star Woke", as some put it. Depending on your definition of "woke", a word that seems to be given a thousand meanings by a thousand different people, we can say that SW has either always been "Star Woke" from the beginning, or is not "woke" at all. Some people appear so intimidated by the presence of women and coloured people that they seek objective reasons for being permitted to throw rocks at Kathleen Kennedy. Were Ridley and Boyega brought in because SW was previously accused of having too few women and not enough coloured people? Or did it happen because their energy and acting abilities are exactly what Abrams and others were looking for in their film? Better still, does it matter at all? Must we seek a reason? Whatever theirs may be, I have always enjoyed Ridley and Boyega in the recent trilogy; in fact, I regret that Finn ended up with so little to do. Because he's black? No, because he's a good actor whose energy I found electrifying in TFA.





  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Posts: 6,846
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The appeal of Star Wars is largely the "badass" stuff. I will watch a Kubrick or Hitchcock if I want a great story. 😉

    To me stuff like Luke tossing his lightsaber and then telling the Emperor “I’m a Jedi” is more profound than something silly like a “badass” video game character using the force to throw a star destroyer at his enemies.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,289
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The appeal of Star Wars is largely the "badass" stuff. I will watch a Kubrick or Hitchcock if I want a great story. 😉

    To me stuff like Luke tossing his lightsaber and then telling the Emperor “I’m a Jedi” is more profound than something silly like a “badass” video game character using the force to throw a star destroyer at his enemies.

    Yep. Definitely.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,487
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Star Wars gets a ton of goodwill because of the one-two punch that was the original and EMPIRE. If the latter had been a weaker sequel, I don’t think we would have seen such longevity.

    It’s the same reason studios try over and over to make the Terminator franchise a thing. Because T2 was such a hit, they all want that taste. But the more sequels/prequels/reboots they try, the more the franchise is diminished.

    This is why I always tell people “just stop at 2, there’s nothing left to tell”.

    I’m believing the same thing although there are rare stories that worked well as a third: Toy Story 3 and our own Goldfinger. Otherwise I generally agree about the rule of two (Star Wars joke aside).

    I think Star Wars keeps delivering good stuff but excelling in almost every other area than story and acting. The spectacle, cutting-edge visuals, music, ... of the films have consistently been very good. In terms of story, however, we went from steak to popcorn. And the acting is sometimes spot-on, and then there's Jake Lloyd and Hayden.

    Look, I love SW. I continue to love the books, the games, the TV series and the films. Rogue One is a film I rate very high, up there with the first two in fact. And I'm not as anti-JJ as some seem to be, so I dig the recent stuff too. But, in all fairness, a film like Ep. IX feels like fanfic made by pros. Yet since salty popcorn can fill an empty stomach just as well, I fully enjoy Ep. IX, but I understand why others don't. I very much accept the accusation that SW has been Disneyfied, catering to the wee ones rather than to adults. Then again, SW has always been kids' material, but the kids from back then have now grown up and may not be able to tune in anymore. Adults see a new take on their beloved SW which drags in some of the old cast members just to get daddy's money too, only to see them killed off and be done with. I understand that this gets people angry. But while the Harry Potter audience may have been able to grow up parallel to the books, SW has always been about selling toys, regardless of the deeper themes hidden in the first few films and allegedly omitted from the later ones. In a way, even the original SW film was a Disney product just not made by Disney.

    What I will not agree with, however, is the accusation that "Star Wars" has turned into "Star Woke", as some put it. Depending on your definition of "woke", a word that seems to be given a thousand meanings by a thousand different people, we can say that SW has either always been "Star Woke" from the beginning, or is not "woke" at all. Some people appear so intimidated by the presence of women and coloured people that they seek objective reasons for being permitted to throw rocks at Kathleen Kennedy. Were Ridley and Boyega brought in because SW was previously accused of having too few women and not enough coloured people? Or did it happen because their energy and acting abilities are exactly what Abrams and others were looking for in their film? Better still, does it matter at all? Must we seek a reason? Whatever theirs may be, I have always enjoyed Ridley and Boyega in the recent trilogy; in fact, I regret that Finn ended up with so little to do. Because he's black? No, because he's a good actor whose energy I found electrifying in TFA.





    He was worse than Stacey.
  • Posts: 1,314
    Everyone is great in TFA. I still like that though I can’t say I’ve watched it since arise of Skywalker which was just a complete waste of my time. I might watch them again just to
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The appeal of Star Wars is largely the "badass" stuff. I will watch a Kubrick or Hitchcock if I want a great story. 😉

    To me stuff like Luke tossing his lightsaber and then telling the Emperor “I’m a Jedi” is more profound than something silly like a “badass” video game character using the force to throw a star destroyer at his enemies.

    This x1000000

    There’s more richness, drama and depth in the endor platform scene with Luke and Vader than the whole sequel trilogy combined.

    Funnily enough my two favourite scenes in the prequels is the silent one where it cuts back and forth between padme and anakin as he is struggling with his conflict. And the Darth plagueis story at the theatre
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns The Bright Side of the Road.
    Posts: 19,462
    star-wars-may-the-4th-1.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 22,005
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Everyone is great in TFA. I still like that though I can’t say I’ve watched it since arise of Skywalker which was just a complete waste of my time. I might watch them again just to
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The appeal of Star Wars is largely the "badass" stuff. I will watch a Kubrick or Hitchcock if I want a great story. 😉

    To me stuff like Luke tossing his lightsaber and then telling the Emperor “I’m a Jedi” is more profound than something silly like a “badass” video game character using the force to throw a star destroyer at his enemies.

    This x1000000

    There’s more richness, drama and depth in the endor platform scene with Luke and Vader than the whole sequel trilogy combined.

    Funnily enough my two favourite scenes in the prequels is the silent one where it cuts back and forth between padme and anakin as he is struggling with his conflict. And the Darth plagueis story at the theatre

    In that case, I recommend the James Luceno book "Darth Plagueis".

    Also, I absolutely Love -- capital L -- that scene! The way McDiarmid plays it is just nothing short of awesome. "... some considered to be ... un-natural...". His inflexion there is just delicious.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns The Bright Side of the Road.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 19,462

    Much better trailer.
  • Posts: 1,176
    star-wars-may-the-4th-1.jpg

    May 25th is Star Wars day.

  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 7,586

    Much better trailer.

    This looks fantastic.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 38,268
    Way better than the first trailer.
  • Posts: 12,436

    Much better trailer.

    This looks fantastic.

    Much better trailer! :-bd
Sign In or Register to comment.