"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited September 2021 Posts: 17,241
    Phew! Certainly didn't expect Arsenal to turn up like they did today. A really strong performance from them in the NLD. If only they could turn up like that more often…

Really happy for Saka and Smith Rowe in particular. Can't remember any recent PL sides more reliant on two youngsters like Arsenal are with those two lads.

'Escape clause' :))

:)) :))

Just watching the highlights, Arsenal looked good free flowing. Spurs just look like Wolves

Roe and Saka caught the eye.

Yes, that's what surprised me. Sp*rs never seemed to be able to put the pressure on when Arsenal had the ball, and Arsenal were aggressive in winning the ball back. Will be interesting to see if this was just the NLD effect, or if they can keep on doing the same against other teams.

I hope Saka and Smith Rowe will get a lot of game time together this season. They could form a dream partnership.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Phew! Certainly didn't expect Arsenal to turn up like they did today. A really strong performance from them in the NLD. If only they could turn up like that more often…

Really happy for Saka and Smith Rowe in particular. Can't remember any recent PL sides more reliant on two youngsters like Arsenal are with those two lads.

'Escape clause' :))

:)) :))

Just watching the highlights, Arsenal looked good free flowing. Spurs just look like Wolves

Roe and Saka caught the eye.

Yes, that's what surprised me. Sp*rs never seemed to be able to put the pressure on when Arsenal had the ball, and Arsenal were aggressive in winning the ball back. Will be interesting to see if this was just the NLD effect, or if they can keep on doing the same against other teams.

I hope Saka and Smith Rowe will get a lot of game time together this season. They could form a dream partnership.

Spurs often look reluctant to commit players forward or push the team as a whole forward, an issue United have under Ole on occasion.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    this makes me so happy
    Season evaluation so far for me? OMG! Roll on the summer! OTBC!!!! :))
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Paper Talk

A number of Manchester United's fringe players feel misled about their playing prospects this season amid growing frustration about Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's reluctance to rotate despite a dire run of results that have left his future hanging in the balance.

Immigrant workers in Qatar are paid a measly £12 for 11-hour days spent building the nation's 2022 World Cup stadiums in inhuman conditions - and they are dying in the burning heat.

David Beckham is under increasing pressure to reverse his decision to be a 'face' of the Qatar World Cup due to the poor treatment of migrant workers.

Glenn Hoddle has opened up about the foul-mouthed attacks he received from Sir Alex Ferguson when he was England manager after he upset the Scot with his use of Manchester United players on international duty.

Roberto Mancini bullishly claimed that Italy are 'still a great team' despite missing out on automatic qualification to next year's World Cup this past week.

Dean Smith is set to bring star midfielder Todd Cantwell in from the cold after he sealed his quickfire return to management with Norwich

Two of Newcastle's first-team coaches - Stephen Clemence and Steve Agnew - have left the club as the Eddie Howe revolution starts to gain momentum.

Olympic legend Usain Bolt has slammed Manchester United for relying so heavily on Cristiano Ronaldo.

Former France and Barcelona defender Eric Abidal is reportedly set to be questioned by police investigating the attack on Paris Saint-Germain women star Kheira Hamraoui.

Leicester's former record buy Nampalys Mendy says he wants to quit the club in January.
    Brighton chief executive Paul Barber believes manager Graham Potter is going nowhere.

Contract rebel Antonio Rudiger claims he is fully focused on performing for Chelsea despite being a reported transfer target for Bayern Munich.

Barcelona reportedly hope to secure a January loan move for Manchester City star Raheem Sterling but are being constrained by their financial situation.

Martin Odegaard will find himself in an awkward position at Arsenal should Edu's reported £80m transfer plan come to fruition.

Manchester United outcast Donny van de Beek could be offered a Premier League escape by the likes of Everton and Newcastle United.

Ashley Cole wants to become a top flight manager - and merge the best qualities of Jose Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti and Arsene Wenger.

Barcelona have begun working behind the scenes to sign Mohamed Salah from Liverpool as Xavi and Joan Laporta look to pull off a major coup, according to reports in Catalonia.

Newcastle United have set their sights on Hellas Verona duo Giovanni Simeone and Antonin Barak ahead of the January transfer window, according to reports.

Chelsea target Erling Haaland could end up signing a new and improved contract at Borussia Dortmund if he agrees a sponsorship deal with Puma in the new year, according to reports.

Chelsea star Hakim Ziyech has reportedly made a decision about his future, with the midfielder wanted by Borussia Dortmund.

Amnesty International has said that it is "more important than ever" for England's players and staff to use their position to raise human-rights concerns about Qatar after securing qualification for next year's World Cup.

• GustavGravesGustavGraves Ukraine
    Shakhtar FC till I die!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Ukraine crisis: Uefa likely to move Champions League final from St Petersburg in Russia
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/60474920.amp
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    :D
    Chelsea (putin fc) should be kicked out of football asap until they have non criminal owners.
    Be curious to see if Chelsea disappear from competitiveness in terms of being challengers for trophies next season on on wards?
  • GustavGravesGustavGraves Ukraine
    I'm glad that Russia is getting banned from everything. Keep that coming!
    Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal criticises FIFA over 2022 Qatar World Cup - "Now, everybody knows that I find that ridiculous. It's ridiculous that we are going to play in a country - how does FIFA say it? - To develop the football there, to develop it better there. That is b******t."

Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal says it is "ridiculous" that this year's World Cup is being played in Qatar, accusing FIFA of taking the tournament to the Middle East for money and commercial reasons.

Van Gaal said FIFA's reasons for awarding the finals to Qatar, where his side will be competing in the November and December finals, were spurious.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12572475/netherlands-coach-louis-van-gaal-hits-out-at-fifa-over-staging-world-cup-in-qatar
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Speaking as a Crystal Palace, last night was our most complete performance. We were sharp, focused, intense and were up for the challenge. Andersen’s past for Ayew to slot home the second was the pass of the game, and Zaha looks like he’s matured in spades since he’s returned from the AFCON. Immensely proud of the Eagles this morning. Onto Leicester this Sunday, and then the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.

Arsenal offered absolutely nothing.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 17,241
    Speaking as a Crystal Palace, last night was our most complete performance. We were sharp, focused, intense and were up for the challenge. Andersen’s past for Ayew to slot home the second was the pass of the game, and Zaha looks like he’s matured in spades since he’s returned from the AFCON. Immensely proud of the Eagles this morning. Onto Leicester this Sunday, and then the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.

Arsenal offered absolutely nothing.

This is exactly what I feared from Arsenal after a good run of games. Now they've lost another game, and top four looks to be in Sp*rs' hands. It would have been an incredible season all things considered, if Arsenal managed top four – but as many times before, they seem to stumble when they've got a shot at something.

Bodø/Glimt managed to beat Roma (again!) at home on Thursday, in the first of two UEFA Europa Conference League ties. Bodø/Glimt have played an incredible run un the Conference League, and it was no surprise they could bring out their best yet again.

What was more surprising was what happened after the match, when Roma claimed that Bodø/Glimt head coach Kjetil Knutsen attacked Roma's goalkeeper coach Nuno Santos. Bodø/Glimt on the other hand have reported Nuno Santos to the police for assault, claiming that "Roma are bombarding the media with lies, in an attempt to cover up their unsporting behaviour". Further reports in Norwegian media claim that Santos had Knutsen in a chokehold, before Knutsen managed to put the Roma goalkeeper coach on the floor. Bodø/Glimt have also handed video evidence to UEFA about the incident, asking for it to be released to the public.

It will be very interesting to see if this leads to repercussions before the second leg tie in Rome next week…
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 17,241
    An update in the Bodø/Glimt – Roma incident: Both Kjetil Knutsen og Nuno Santos are now temporarily suspended from the second leg in Rome. I have no doubt this was a planned move by Roma, Mourinho and his coaching staff, who had tried everything they could to disrupt Knutsen during the match Thursday. Huge advantage for Roma now if this stands, and I can't see Bodø/Glimt winning this without Knutsen.
    @Torgeirtrap what sparked the alleged confrontation?
    @Torgeirtrap what sparked the alleged confrontation?

Nothing. The Rome GK coach was trying to agitate Knutsen all match (no doubt a deliberate tactic they set out on doing before the game) and finally went as far as a physical assault in order to succeed in having him suspended.
    Well? Back to the Championship! :))
    RogueAgent wrote: »

And straight back up again? ;)

Maybe? Don't know whether you have heard of a guy called Richard Keyes? He presented Sky Sports for a number of years as a host of live games?

Well? He said he is glad that Watford and Norwich are relegated although Watford are not yet. And he doesn't want to see them back anytime soon! What does this idiot know about football.

Banging on about yo yo clubs, but West Brom were the same for a while. Considering the alleged big clubs are riddled with debt, or are run on credit.Take the money away from them? They possibly would be too?

Considering he got the sack from Sky for inappropiate comments? The guy needs to do us all a favour and just shut up.

Champions League Final now streaming live on YouTube
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,107
    Real score woooooo! Get in.
    pumped-woooo.gif
    edited May 2022 Posts: 23,107
    Courtios pulling of some great saves.

Real win 😂 media writing them off huge mistake.

Maybe? Don't know whether you have heard of a guy called Richard Keyes? He presented Sky Sports for a number of years as a host of live games?

Well? He said he is glad that Watford and Norwich are relegated although Watford are not yet. And he doesn't want to see them back anytime soon! What does this idiot know about football.

Banging on about yo yo clubs, but West Brom were the same for a while. Considering the alleged big clubs are riddled with debt, or are run on credit.Take the money away from them? They possibly would be too?

Considering he got the sack from Sky for inappropiate comments? The guy needs to do us all a favour and just shut up.

Late reply @RogueAgent, sorry! Really strange for a presenter (I see Keyes now works for BeIN Sports) to straight up say he doesn't want a team back up anytime soon. There's nothing wrong with being a "yo-yo club". It just means that the club has the quality and capability of taking the step ut to the PL, only to find the challenge of staying up too great. And that often comes down to factors like budget. Bigger budget = better opportunity to attract better players.
    Almost forgot Germany v England in Nations League tonight, after a long two years of football these games feel ill placed. The Nations League has not grabbed me to be honest.
    Half time no goals Germany the better team, Germany wonder kid Musiala looks a player.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 17,241
    I've seen a few Norway matches, but I've not made much effort to follow the Nations League games. Didn't even know Germany-England was on until just now!