"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    This Arsenal team is so embarrassing. Arteta picks this game to start experimenting with the defence? Hope the board have a list of potential replacements…

It's beyond me. Hmmmmmm.

3-0 now, and a Xhaka red card too.

4-0, and fans have apparently left the stadium before half-time. This is just bleak.

…and those who chose to stay…

Yeah. To be honest, it's really depressing.
    Arteta's love for Xhaka that I don't seem to understand, would be his downfall. I mean why would a coach not notice Xhaka's never ending errors and inconsistencies. Xhaka is like Ramsey. He hits today and misses tomorrow...and his misses are more than his hits.
    Arteta's love for Xhaka that I don't seem to understand, would be his downfall. I mean why would a coach not notice Xhaka's never ending errors and inconsistencies. Xhaka is like Ramsey. He hits today and misses tomorrow...and his misses are more than his hits.

Xhaka keeps getting the praise for whoever is in charge. Really can't understand it either.

5-0 now. Not at all surprised.

Xhaka keeps getting the praise for whoever is in charge. Really can't understand it either.

Yeah. I've struggled to understand that too over the years.

Sure. I'm not surprised as well.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 17,293

What's next then? No indications that Arteta is under pressure, but this is Arsenal three games into the season.
    3 matches
    0 wins
    0 draws
    3 losses
    0 goals scored
    9 goals conceded

19% possession today - their lowest in a Premier League game on record.

How long should we trust "the process" that Arteta have spoken so much about?

What's next then? No indications that Arteta is under pressure, but this is Arsenal three games into the season.
    3 matches
    0 wins
    0 draws
    3 losses
    0 goals scored
    9 goals conceded

Yeah. I think the fact that they gave him money to sign players means Arteta isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

3 matches
    0 wins
    0 draws
    3 losses
    0 goals scored
    9 goals conceded

Yeah. I think the fact that they gave him money to sign players means Arteta isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Yes, it's a clear indication that Arteta have the full confidence of the owners and the board. He'd likely be gone by next game in any other top six club though.

3 matches
    0 wins
    0 draws
    3 losses
    0 goals scored
    9 goals conceded

Yes, it's a clear indication that Arteta have the full confidence of the owners and the board. He'd likely be gone by next game in any other top six club though.

Yeah. I think he's grip isn't that firm anymore.

3 matches
    0 wins
    0 draws
    3 losses
    0 goals scored
    9 goals conceded

We'll see in the upcoming weeks the character of the team facing an uphill battle, and whether Arteta has the players on his side or not. Can imagine he will lose the dressing room pretty fast, if not already.

3 matches
    0 wins
    0 draws
    3 losses
    0 goals scored
    9 goals conceded

We'll see in the upcoming weeks the character of the team facing an uphill battle, and whether Arteta has the players on his side or not. Can imagine he will lose the dressing room pretty fast, if not already.

Yeah. It's really looking like that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am watching TroopzTV he says its the worst Arsenal performance he has ever seen?
    I am watching TroopzTV he says its the worst Arsenal performance he has ever seen?

Well, this is one of the most lacklustre performances I've seen of them since Arteta took the job. It was like they didn't even try (that's before and after Xhaka's red card). I don't care for AFTV and Troopz though; the WengerOut stuff started with those guys, if I don't remember wrong – and look where the club is now…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Well, this is one of the most lacklustre performances I've seen of them since Arteta took the job. It was like they didn't even try (that's before and after Xhaka's red card). I don't care for AFTV and Troopz though; the WengerOut stuff started with those guys, if I don't remember wrong – and look where the club is now…

Those channels go over the top big time.
    I watched the highlights defending was shocking.

Those channels go over the top big time.
    I watched the highlights defending was shocking.

Indeed, and that's how they get all those views too.

Arsenal are all over the place in defence. Sure, they're missing a couple of players, but this is so far from good enough.
    First time in Premier League history Spurs have been top of the Premier League and Arsenal bottom at the same time. Great start by Nuno.
    First time in Premier League history Spurs have been top of the Premier League and Arsenal bottom at the same time. Great start by Nuno.

And all the more reason for Arsenal to look at new candidates for the job…

It will be an interesting week or so for Arteta, if he has lost the dressing room any project becomes a mute point.

It will be an interesting week or so for Arteta, if he has lost the dressing room any project becomes a mute point.

Indeed. Question is how much of the dressing room he's had, given that he has no managerial experience to look back upon.
    Carl Anka couldn't be more right here:

Dan James sold to Leeds for 30 Million, Man United did well there lol We paid 15 Million for him.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,376
    Willian is a rare breed cancelling his contract, saving Arsenal a reported 20 Million.

Willian agent has stated when Willian signed, Arteta said his plan was to build a team around him?

Willian Agent 'So far the project has not worked'

Just interviewed on Talksport
    Dan James sold to Leeds for 30 Million, Man United did well there lol We paid 15 Million for him.

Looks like a good deal for United.
    Willian is a rare breed cancelling his contract, saving Arsenal a reported 20 Million.

Willian agent has stated when Willian signed, Arteta said his plan was to build a team around him?

Willian Agent 'So far the project has not worked'

Just interviewed on Talksport

I struggle to believe he went for free, though. Expect there's a payoff included, as Arseblog mentions in this tweet.

Excellent 4 - 0 away win vs Hungary in a hostile stadium with disgraceful behavior from a section of the Hungary fans. (could have been 8 - 0)

England on this evidence are an extremely good side and bounced back well from the Euros Final loss.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Italy have set a new world record for longest international unbeaten run with 37 games and counting.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,354
    dog steals ball and nutmegs players in Bosnian football match

Fine dribbler............ :)>-

'Escape clause' :))
    Phew! Certainly didn't expect Arsenal to turn up like they did today. A really strong performance from them in the NLD. If only they could turn up like that more often…

Really happy for Saka and Smith Rowe in particular. Can't remember any recent PL sides more reliant on two youngsters like Arsenal are with those two lads.

:)) :))
    Phew! Certainly didn't expect Arsenal to turn up like they did today. A really strong performance from them in the NLD. If only they could turn up like that more often…

Really happy for Saka and Smith Rowe in particular. Can't remember any recent PL sides more reliant on two youngsters like Arsenal are with those two lads.

:)) :))

Just watching the highlights, Arsenal looked good free flowing. Spurs just look like Wolves

Roe and Saka caught the eye.