What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Ruling someone out because they're not A-list is cutting off your nose to spite your face, as far as I'm concerned.

Sure, they should not rule anyone out just because they aren't A-list directors, but A-list directors should have priority.

The person who could do the best job should have priority.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As far as what Martin Campbell has done outside of Bond, I really couldn't care less; although I do like quite a few of his films. He may workman director but he gets Bond and that's what's important to me.

My analogy is, I love steak and I want to eat a great steak. I know that chef Campbell makes an incredible steak but people are telling me that outside of steak he's not as consistent. My reply is, 'that's fine, but I want a great steak.

With that said, I don't expect that Campbell will do another film: EON will go for a prestige director or a rising talent.
    A-lister or not, M Campbell managed to direct the most widely highly regarded Brosnan Bond in GE, PB's first, and likewise with CR for DC...I know - alphabet soup here. I don't think he'd be legally allowed to say no if he were asked to direct ??'s first new Bond. It's become more than a tradition, and it's been very successful, artistically and financially. In fact, new Bond actors might all make their agreements contingent on him being hired...and on not filming in or setting any Bond films in Canada, of course. That's a tradition that's gone beyond mere tradition.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Mediocre director or not, he made my favorite Bond film and one of my favorite movies of all time with CR. And I know GE has its detractors, but it is still widely regarded as a top tier Bond film. He gets Bond and is recently on record saying he would do another.

I’d also love to see Fukunaga return!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Since62 wrote: »
    Nolan jumped the shark with TeneT. Perhaps Oppenheimer will accomplish a full redemption. If not...a Bond film should not serve as his redemption film.

Totally agree @Since62 ... He had his head up his rear, and no one was brave enough to tell him to go away and develop the script so it wasn't so bloody dull. He took a simple ticking time bomb concept and made it stupidly complex for no other reason than to make it seem smarter than it was.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Mediocre director or not, he made my favorite Bond film and one of my favorite movies of all time with CR. And I know GE has its detractors, but it is still widely regarded as a top tier Bond film. He gets Bond and is recently on record saying he would do another.

GE is 27 years old. CR is now 16 years old. Between CR and now, over these 16 years, MC has done nothing significant. I'm not trying to be mean or critical, just pointing out the reasons he won't be directing another Bond.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2022 Posts: 4,247
    TripAces wrote: »

GE is 27 years old. CR is now 16 years old. Between CR and now, over these 16 years, MC has done nothing significant. I'm not trying to be mean or critical, just pointing out the reasons he won't be directing another Bond.

Yeah, but I think if he were in his 60s now, EON would have offered him Bond 26 even before they wrapped NTTD. I think age is the only thing ruling him out. Campbell is a master at launching a new Bond , it's just so evident. I don't think we can mention top Bond films without mentioning GE & CR. Campbell might direct other films without being meticulous, but when he's directing Bond, he's something else entirely.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 7,980
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah, but I think if he were in his 60s now, EON would have offered him Bond 26 even before they wrapped NTTD. I think age is the only thing ruling him out. Campbell is a master at launching a new Bond , it's just so evident. I don't think we can mention top Bond films without mentioning GE & CR. Campbell might direct other films without being meticulous, but when he's directing Bond, he's something else entirely.

I’ve seen recent interviews and he looks very fit and capable; his age should not be an issue… yet.

This is fairly recent.

talos7 wrote: »

I’ve seen recent interviews and he looks very fit and capable; his age should not be an issue… yet.

This is fairly recent.

It was an abysmal flop.

This is fairly recent.

It was an abysmal flop.

I enjoyed it but it was not Bond. Campbell thrives in the EON system; that's all that matters to me.

This is fairly recent.

It was an abysmal flop.

I enjoyed it but it was not Bond. Campbell thrives in the EON system; that's all that matters to me.

That's it! He takes Bond seriously.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited March 2022 Posts: 652
    I'd prefer they stay away from A-Listers. The best Bond movies were made by workmen directors like Young, Hunt, Hamilton, and Campbell. Honestly I don't want anyone associated with the last decade's worth of Bond movies coming back in any way, especially Mendes, Waller-Bridge, Butterworth, Logan, and Fukunaga. And maybe Purvis and Wade, too.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Is it Danny Boyle's time?

It would be pretty funny, but not totally unreasonable if they went back to him.

"You didn't want to kill him the last time, so we did it without you. As we don't want to kill him this time, why don't we give it another shot?"

LOL.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    No two without three.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

This is fairly recent.

It was an abysmal flop.

I liked it well enough, too. I also liked The Foreigner.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Maybe Jon Watts? He's the director of Spider man no way home, and that film did successfully. Maybe he can do the same for Bond?
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I'd prefer they stay away from A-Listers. The best Bond movies were made by workmen directors like Young, Hunt, Hamilton, and Campbell. Honestly I don't want anyone associated with the last decade's worth of Bond movies coming back in any way, especially Mendes, Waller-Bridge, Butterworth, Logan, and Fukunaga. And maybe Purvis and Wade, too.

So if Denis Villeneuve, hot off of Dune, is available and wants to direct Bond 26, you say, "Nah, I want the 78-year-old guy who directed The Protege." Ohhhhhhhhkay.

So if Denis Villeneuve, hot off of Dune, is available and wants to direct Bond 26, you say, "Nah, I want the 78-year-old guy who directed The Protege." Ohhhhhhhhkay.

Not everyone is fond of that which has been done lately by Denis Velleneuve. Plenty of people regard him as "Hot" off directing two sure-thing properties, and yet directing them into snores with Blade Runner 2049 and Dune. Ok, "contemplative"...long, slow and contemplative.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's to argue that Campbell isn't the go-to guy for introducing new Bonds. Lightening stuck twice with CR, but could it strike thrice with Bond#26? :-? I would rather Campbell at the helm, than some of the highfalutin names thrown around.
    It's to argue that Campbell isn't the go-to guy for introducing new Bonds. Lightening stuck twice with CR, but could it strike thrice with Bond#26? :-? I would rather Campbell at the helm, than some of the highfalutin names thrown around.

+1

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    My preferred choices would be Cary Fukunaga or Martin Campbell.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 784
    I want a director that can handle complexity rather than depth which mostly ends up being shallow anyways.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Me too. He's proved himself more than capable twice now and he's still in the business; why not? Surely that'd be an achievement (helming the first film of a new era three times in a row) that would never be topped in the series too.

Beyond him, I'm really not sure. In years past, I've championed the likes of Nolan; these days, I loathe the idea.
  • quantumspectrequantumspectre argentina
    david fincher could do one 007, it will be darker than those last 007 movies.
    but if u want a light director, maybe danny boyle
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

Villeneuve is doing DUNE 2, and it should be released in October 2023. And Nolan's new movie OPPENHEIMER is also slated to hit the screens in 2023.
  • Petition to have Daniel Craig direct the next Bond movie, before Christopher Nolan does a 3-story movie arc.
    No Christopher Nolan please. I know he's made some good films, but for me they tend to be his earlier and smaller scale works (Memento, Insomnia, Following and even The Prestige, Inception and Batman Begins to a lesser extent). Tenent was a mess - outright creatively flawed sound design, a script that was purposely devoid of character (he called his main character 'The Protagonist' for God's sake) and overall confusing and boring.

Dennis Villeneuve wouldn't be an ideal option either. Very talented and skilled director, but I do find most of his films boring, except for Prisoners. Danny Boyle's planned Bond 25 didn't seem up to scratch so he's out.
    Campbell....Martin Campbell.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    007HallY wrote: »
    No Christopher Nolan please. I know he's made some good films, but for me they tend to be his earlier and smaller scale works (Memento, Insomnia, Following and even The Prestige, Inception and Batman Begins to a lesser extent). Tenent was a mess - outright creatively flawed sound design, a script that was purposely devoid of character (he called his main character 'The Protagonist' for God's sake) and overall confusing and boring.

Dennis Villeneuve wouldn't be an ideal option either. Very talented and skilled director, but I do find most of his films boring, except for Prisoners. Danny Boyle's planned Bond 25 didn't seem up to scratch so he's out.

Curious what your thoughts are on Nolan's next chosen project, then, which seems to be a much smaller character drama, very different from Tenet.
    Campbell is great and he’d be a very safe and dependable choice, but I’d rather have the risk of some fresh blood. I think the next film needs to make Bond feel really new again, a proper kick up the arse reinvention, and Campbell himself has said that he doesn’t think he could manage that a third time. There’s plenty of other directors out there who could make something that feels just as virile and fresh as GE and CR (George Miller, Gareth Evans, etc). I hope they don’t play it safe and stick with a name we’ve already had personally.