What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Campbell is great and he’d be a very safe and dependable choice, but I’d rather have the risk of some fresh blood. I think the next film needs to make Bond feel really new again, a proper kick up the arse reinvention, and Campbell himself has said that he doesn’t think he could manage that a third time. There’s plenty of other directors out there who could make something that feels just as virile and fresh as GE and CR (George Miller, Gareth Evans, etc). I hope they don’t play it safe and stick with a name we’ve already had personally.

What do we think of Eggers, who did the Northman? He recently said he would never do a contemporary-setting film, but if he approached Bond almost as a period-piece (taking flourishes from the 60s and making them work today) I wonder if he'd be up for the challenge. He is seemingly great at focusing on historical accuracy and building his character's worlds with a lot of detail. He's American, but that doesn't seem to matter anymore.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    No Christopher Nolan please. I know he's made some good films, but for me they tend to be his earlier and smaller scale works (Memento, Insomnia, Following and even The Prestige, Inception and Batman Begins to a lesser extent). Tenent was a mess - outright creatively flawed sound design, a script that was purposely devoid of character (he called his main character 'The Protagonist' for God's sake) and overall confusing and boring.

Dennis Villeneuve wouldn't be an ideal option either. Very talented and skilled director, but I do find most of his films boring, except for Prisoners. Danny Boyle's planned Bond 25 didn't seem up to scratch so he's out.

Curious what your thoughts are on Nolan's next chosen project, then, which seems to be a much smaller character drama, very different from Tenet.

Oppenheimer, right? I wasn't the biggest fan of Dunkirk but I found it technically accomplished (much more so than he usually is). I'm not sure if it'll be similar and I never know what to expect from Nolan, to give him credit. But yeah, I just don't think he's up to Bond.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 2022 Posts: 4,247
    Another choice is David Fincher. Unusual choice. But one thing that's certain is, the Bond film he directs is going to be very entertaining. He doesn't need to include his usual serial killer thing, but he's sure going to make it interesting and smart, coupled with the already established Bond style, plus his witty mind.
    My instinct is the next Director won't be an A-Lister along the lines of Nolan/Villeneuve/Fincher. Perhaps Fukanaga will return, which I'm mixed on. On the one hand while NTTD was hit or miss, much of it was well directed and I think his involvement saved it from being a complete disaster. With a longer pre-production who knows what he could do. On the other hand he had alot of involvement over the story and probably some of the more controversial aspects for fans (Bond finding out he has a daughter etc.)

I'm fine with Martin Campbell returning, but the story/script will have to be solid. I can see someone like David Mackenzie doing something unique with Bond 26 too.
    My instinct is the next Director won't be an A-Lister along the lines of Nolan/Villeneuve/Fincher. Perhaps Fukanaga will return, which I'm mixed on. On the one hand while NTTD was hit or miss, much of it was well directed and I think his involvement saved it from being a complete disaster. With a longer pre-production who knows what he could do. On the other hand he had alot of involvement over the story and probably some of the more controversial aspects for fans (Bond finding out he has a daughter etc.)

I'm fine with Martin Campbell returning, but the story/script will have to be solid. I can see someone like David Mackenzie doing something unique with Bond 26 too.

Mackenzie is still my choice! He knows how to tell a story, good with actors and can handle action!
    Am not in the Nolan/Villeneuve camp either! Talented, technically proficient Directors, but not a right fit for Bond!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 2022 Posts: 4,247
    I think ever since EON tasted that Oscar win with SF, it's been all about the A-Listers. We can all see that Fukunaga wasn't Barbara's first choice, but Oscar winner Boyle, even if it didn't work out. Also, Barbara met Fukunaga after SP, Yeah? Also immediately Dan Romer was let go, everyone expected David Arnold to be announced, but Oscar winner Zimmer was chosen. So we should expect the franchise from here on out to be Oscar-laden and also with A-Listers.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 1,430
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I think ever since EON tasted that Oscar win with SF, it's been all about the A-Listers. We can all see that Fukunaga wasn't Barbara's first choice, but Oscar winner Boyle, even if it didn't work out. Also, Barbara met Fukunaga after SP, Yeah? Also immediately Dan Romer was let go, everyone expected David Arnold to be announced, but Oscar winner Zimmer was chosen. So we should expect the franchise from here on out to be Oscar-laden and also with A-Listers.

I have to think they're open to a few options. What makes sense to me: if they can get Nolan and like his vision, I bet they wouldn't say no. I think they'll meet with Fukunaga, hear his take on who Bond should be this time, and if they like that they may not say no. And then they will have other contingencies, and probably meet with quite a few people. I think Waller-Bridge gets a callback for her ideas and perspective, they may have asked Craig for his final ideas before he's gone for good, and hell, they may circle back and give Sam Mendes a shot a redemption. He's technically "reinvigorated" the franchise already once with Skyfall, and they could see that as enough of a qualifier to launch a new Bond. But I bet they start with those closest to them and to the Oscars or with Oscar potential, which is all of the names I mentioned, in my view. They may view, though, that they have Zimmer somewhat in their pocket for good now, so I doubt we ever get a true "workman composer" doing the music ever again, even though that's kind of what Zimmer is.

To me, those asking for a return of Martin Campbell may end up getting a return of Sam Mendes, if they keep pushing in that direction. And I do think the fans have some sway of the course of things, at least when the franchise is in its lulls.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Brad Bird with Michael Giacchino scoring.
  • I would like to see a director known for making the most of every minute of screen time. Long brooding scenes are a cop out trend.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Mackenzie is still my choice! He knows how to tell a story, good with actors and can handle action!
    Am not in the Nolan/Villeneuve camp either! Talented, technically proficient Directors, but not a right fit for Bond!

Yes, there's something about him as a Director I think might work. Not saying every film he's made has been successful, but I can imagine someone like that doing something fresh and unique with a bit of guidance from the producers regarding a film of that scale (although I suspect the budget for the next Bond film will be about £200 Million or under).
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 1,280
    Campbell is great and he’d be a very safe and dependable choice, but I’d rather have the risk of some fresh blood. I think the next film needs to make Bond feel really new again, a proper kick up the arse reinvention, and Campbell himself has said that he doesn’t think he could manage that a third time. There’s plenty of other directors out there who could make something that feels just as virile and fresh as GE and CR (George Miller, Gareth Evans, etc). I hope they don’t play it safe and stick with a name we’ve already had personally.

You know.....Campbell was not my favorite with GE because he somewhat watered down the kind of grit that the prior Dalton film had.....notice how little blood was shown in the facility despite the deadly ordeal.

But after watching CR and noticing how well he brought back the grit to Bond and seeing the attention to the beautiful setpieces, he earned my respect. I caught onto his tropes....in both GE and CR he likes to narrow in the camera on alarm horns.

But my favorite style of Campbell is when he narrows in on the eyes of the protagonist while they are in a state of shock or incapacitated. He does a good job of making sure the audience not only sees but also feels the vibe of loneliness of the character. By the time Bond wakes up in the hospital after the opening the scene with a close-up shot of his eyes, you begin to accept "ok, this is the new Bond and we will accept/respect him".

If Campbell comes back, we don't need another GE....even he has said in interviews how ridiculous the idea of one man saving the world for a megalomaniac who wants world domination is. He was getting bored on the set while filming the ending scene of GE where Bond and 006 are fighting at the satellite amidst all the destruction.

Any director can never go wrong by keeping Bond down-to-earth. In fact, lower budget sets can save enough money to increase profits and allow for focus on the quality of characters/acting and other elements of the film.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Can we have Danny Boyle back?
    I think this is the time for him to direct a Bond film after he got rejected to direct NTTD.

You know.....Campbell was not my favorite with GE because he somewhat watered down the kind of grit that the prior Dalton film had.....notice how little blood was shown in the facility despite the deadly ordeal.

But after watching CR and noticing how well he brought back the grit to Bond and seeing the attention to the beautiful setpieces, he earned my respect. I caught onto his tropes....in both GE and CR he likes to narrow in the camera on alarm horns.

But my favorite style of Campbell is when he narrows in on the eyes of the protagonist while they are in a state of shock or incapacitated. He does a good job of making sure the audience not only sees but also feels the vibe of loneliness of the character. By the time Bond wakes up in the hospital after the opening the scene with a close-up shot of his eyes, you begin to accept "ok, this is the new Bond and we will accept/respect him".

If Campbell comes back, we don't need another GE....even he has said in interviews how ridiculous the idea of one man saving the world for a megalomaniac who wants world domination is. He was getting bored on the set while filming the ending scene of GE where Bond and 006 are fighting at the satellite amidst all the destruction.

Any director can never go wrong by keeping Bond down-to-earth. In fact, lower budget sets can save enough money to increase profits and allow for focus on the quality of characters/acting and other elements of the film.

To be fair, look at the final fight between Trevelyan and Bond at the end of GE. I'd say it's actually grittier and more realistic than even the staircase fight in CR. Aside from that, yeah, GE is more of a 'classic movie Bond' plot compared to CR, but I'd also say that was more of a decision taken by the producers and writers, and Campbell arguably injected something a bit more 'down to earth' in his direction.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Have to say, I've never liked any of Danny Boyle's films. My heart sank when he was hired for NTTD and I was glad when he baled. No offence - this is IMO stuff, obvs. Mind you, he got the Queen to parachute out of a helicopter, so he can't be all bad...
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Venutius wrote: »
    Have to say, I've never liked any of Danny Boyle's films. My heart sank when he was hired for NTTD and I was glad when he baled. No offence - this is IMO stuff, obvs. Mind you, he got the Queen to parachute out of a helicopter, so he can't be all bad...

I really want Hodge's script to be released at some point. I enjoyed his and Boyle's work on Trance, and I think that film is a major reason why they gave him a go. The problem seemed to be (as far as I can tell - no one seems to know for sure) that the whole thing was a bit too experimental for the BB, MGW and Craig's tastes... which kinda makes sense as Trance is a bit bonkers, haha. I don't think he'll get another chance to direct Bond 26 for this reason. No slight against Boyle, if they let Steven Soderbergh write/direct a Bond film I suspect they'd have a similar situation - a quirky, unusual premise for a film but a potentially disastrous Bond film.
    Yes, the idea that Boyle and Hodge were going a bit too bonkers sounds plausible to me! ;)
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 175
    I think my top choice would be Martin McDonagh. I want the next films to have more humor, but more of a smart, dark humor as opposed to just injecting a bunch of corny one-liners. As far as I know he is still in a relationship with Phoebe Waller-Bridge too. I think they would make a great writing team.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    They need someone who understands Bond as a character more than they need someone who can compose pretty images and win Oscars. The attitude of these movies is just as important as the technical aspects. Sam Mendes' stiff, theatrical style of directing was so far removed from what these movies need that SF and SP at times come off as parodies of Bond. Unfortunately, given the that the recent movies have all been critical darlings, I expect that the next Bond era is going to be more of the same: lots of A-list talent making silly-yet-pretentious 3-hour movies.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 727
    The marvel movies have compelled me to have a different stance. The MCU films are full of directors that love the characters and comics. But they are terrible filmmakers. So you get a collection of films that are lacking in cinematic qualities. You get Russo Brother/Jon Watts/ Joss Whedon films that look like big budget tv shows with no cinematic flair.

The Craig films have shown the benefits of having directors who are actually cinematically gifted. You get films with unparalleled beauty and art. Not soulless marvel products.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited May 2022 Posts: 4,554

Campbell doesn't necessarily create that grit on his own. The script did about 75% or more of that work for him...and he had a terrific script to work from.

The production design of the film was hit/miss. The embassy scenes were atrocious, as were the airport scenes. For some reason, Campbell also thought he could pass off downtown Prague as Miami by just putting up some palm trees. WTH. Worst of all, back to the embassy, I haven't seen a faker-looking set in DC's entire era than the one "outside" that embassy when Bond blows up the gas tanks. Just look at the background: painted-on trees and sky that are truly an embarassment.

The Ford Fusion "commercial" shot was bad. The Skyfleet jumbo jet reveal was bad. You mention "close-ups," but far too often Campbell provides unnecessary close-ups of characters that we essentially don't care that much about. Again, we're dealing with the embassy sequence: the close-ups of Mollaka and then the "coughing" embassy guard after the explosion, and don't get me started on the James Bond somersault. All of these are just examples of...amateur filmmaking.

That said...

When the film moves to Montenegro, it's much better, though seeing Bond spin away from a car, during the poisoning scene, is also not great--along with another bizarre closeup of Bond, drugged and looking hapless. I'm not sure there has been a more pathetic shot of Bond in the history of the series:

9ptmgecnu4x61.png

Campbell directs some brilliant stuff: the pull away from the shower, the torture scene, all of the poker scenes. Brilliant.

But in many places, CR has not aged well at all. Just from a pure directing standpoint, Campbell is out of his league compared to Forster, Mendes, and Fukanaga.

Yeah. Even as a young lad back then I thought the “Miami” people were lacking corn fed meat on their bones.
    It will never happen. But you know who would make an amazing James Bond movie? James Cameron.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 784
    TripAces wrote: »

The Ford Fusion "commercial" shot was bad. The Skyfleet jumbo jet reveal was bad. You mention "close-ups," but far too often Campbell provides unnecessary close-ups of characters that we essentially don't care that much about. Again, we're dealing with the embassy sequence: the close-ups of Mollaka and then the "coughing" embassy guard after the explosion, and don't get me started on the James Bond somersault. All of these are just examples of...amateur filmmaking.

That said...

When the film moves to Montenegro, it's much better, though seeing Bond spin away from a car, during the poisoning scene, is also not great--along with another bizarre closeup of Bond, drugged and looking hapless. I'm not sure there has been a more pathetic shot of Bond in the history of the series.

Campbell directs some brilliant stuff: the pull away from the shower, the torture scene, all of the poker scenes. Brilliant.

But in many places, CR has not aged well at all. Just from a pure directing standpoint, Campbell is out of his league compared to Forster, Mendes, and Fukunaga

What a load of bull. Closeups of extras makes the worldbuilding feel larger and less claustrophobic. It’s one of the things I miss from pre 2015 filmmaking. The whole point of the drugging scene was to make Bond seem drugged lol. Campbell did f***** fantastic compared to Mendes and Fukanaga whose films were subpar in every aspect including blocking and cinematography.

Bond films never were and never should be all about Bond, certainly not to the point of making his most iconic nemesis his spiteful stepbrother.

Forster was great.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It will never happen. But you know who would make an amazing James Bond movie? James Cameron.

If you've seen the Controversial Opinions thread then you'll know that it would be the most overrated Bond movie of all time. ;)

• edited May 2022 Posts: 2,895
    I think it is a combination
    TripAces wrote: »

That said...

When the film moves to Montenegro, it's much better, though seeing Bond spin away from a car, during the poisoning scene, is also not great--along with another bizarre closeup of Bond, drugged and looking hapless. I'm not sure there has been a more pathetic shot of Bond in the history of the series.

But in many places, CR has not aged well at all. Just from a pure directing standpoint, Campbell is out of his league compared to Forster, Mendes, and Fukunaga

What a load of bull. Closeups of extras makes the worldbuilding feel larger and less claustrophobic. It’s one of the things I miss from pre 2015 filmmaking. The whole point of the drugging scene was to make Bond seem drugged lol. Campbell did f***** fantastic compared to Mendes and Fukanaga whose films were subpar in every aspect including blocking and cinematography.

Bond films never were and never should be all about Bond, certainly not to the point of making his most iconic nemesis his spiteful stepbrother.

Forster was great.

For what it's worth there are some odd little moments in CR which are probably due to direction. The bit where Bond and the guy are on top of the crane and throws the gun at Bond. Bond just catches that thing with no effort. It even looks like someone offscreen just casually tossed it at him and possibly sped it up in post. Minor thing though.

Not sure what the first poster is on about though. The camerawork when Bond is drugged is pretty good at evoking that sort of 'woozy' feeling. Never had any problem with the close ups. I even like Mendes and Fukanaga's direction. I'm mixed on Forster.

Anyway, on another note, Boyle gave another variation of the same thing he's been saying for the last 3 years about his Bond 25: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/danny-boyle-james-bond-plot

So I'm guessing we're definitely not going to get a future Danny Boyle Bond film. As I've said before this isn't a bad thing.
    Every new reveal makes me glad that Boyle jumped ship, tbh. Most of the film set in Putin's Russia? Nah. A new origin? I really wouldn't want Boyle to be responsible for creating that. Have to say, I don't rate his favoured successors to Craig either. EON and Boyle really aren't a good match by the look of it. IMO, obvs.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Every new reveal makes me glad that Boyle jumped ship, tbh. Most of the film set in Putin's Russia? Nah. A new origin? I really wouldn't want Boyle to be responsible for creating that. Have to say, I don't rate his favoured successors to Craig either. EON and Boyle really aren't a good match by the look of it. IMO, obvs.

Yes, the whole origins thing sounds very strange. At first I thought he meant they were going back to Bond's roots in the sense that the books took place during the Cold War and they'd evoke that FRWL type plot/tone. I mean, we had plenty about Bond's past in the latter half of the Craig era... I'm not sure how much more was needed.

Also, while St. Petersburg and Moscow are great locations, I don't think even in 2018 setting the film there would have been a good idea for political reasons. Now of course it'd be a big no no.

As I've said, Boyle is a great director and I rate him highly, but he's very impressionistic and often his films blur the lines between reality and what characters are imagining. Not really ideal for a Bond film. I've heard weird snippets about this script which may or may not be true (apparently a good chunk of it had Bond in a prison cell). Now on top of that we learn that it definitely included Bond's death and him having a kid, as well as the fact that it went into his origins... even compared to NTTD this seems a bit out there.

Even his picks for Bond are a bit odd. Robert Pattinson and Papa Essiedu... I mean, Pattinson is too famous and would play a very different type of Bond than what we're used to (as he did with his take on Bruce Wayne) and I have seen nothing from Essiedu that strikes me as Bondian... both are very good actors by the way but they are very strange choices.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 1,430

Yes, the whole origins thing sounds very strange. At first I thought he meant they were going back to Bond's roots in the sense that the books took place during the Cold War and they'd evoke that FRWL type plot/tone. I mean, we had plenty about Bond's past in the latter half of the Craig era... I'm not sure how much more was needed.

Also, while St. Petersburg and Moscow are great locations, I don't think even in 2018 setting the film there would have been a good idea for political reasons. Now of course it'd be a big no no.

As I've said, Boyle is a great director and I rate him highly, but he's very impressionistic and often his films blur the lines between reality and what characters are imagining. Not really ideal for a Bond film. I've heard weird snippets about this script which may or may not be true (apparently a good chunk of it had Bond in a prison cell). Now on top of that we learn that it definitely included Bond's death and him having a kid, as well as the fact that it went into his origins... even compared to NTTD this seems a bit out there.

Even his picks for Bond are a bit odd. Robert Pattinson and Papa Essiedu... I mean, Pattinson is too famous and would play a very different type of Bond than what we're used to (as he did with his take on Bruce Wayne) and I have seen nothing from Essiedu that strikes me as Bondian... both are very good actors by the way but they are very strange choices.

I think Pattinson has the celebrity required for the role, without seeming too mainstream. He seems very in the mold of Dalton and Craig. He's done some interesting movies, has credibility in the artsy stuff, but he's also a big-name talent in blockbusters like Harry Potter. Not a left-field choice, imo, at least on paper.

My key gripe with both those names, however, is that they come across as boyish to me, a bit in the face and also in their mannerisms and stature. I don't want a Boyish Bond.
    Pattinson would’ve been perfect for the role. The perfect age too. Coming off of NTTD. Too bad he was snatched up by WB for the Batman IP. Eon’s loss.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    The whole point of the drugging scene was to make Bond seem drugged lol. Campbell did f***** fantastic

Well, Daniel did a fine job of making Bond seem drugged. Martin made it look like the crew had been drugged. It's really quite enough to let the actor act, and not shoot it like a garage band's no-budget music video.

cxcprz.gif

Tim's Bond was also poisoned in TLD, and John "Journeyman" Glen let Tim do his thing, and had a brief POV shot that went fuzzy, just barely revealing a smile on the villain. This is much more effective than Martin's hack work in the CR scene. If anything, @TripAces is being generous!