NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Venutius wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    The other theory could be that Nomi follows Felix and Primo follows Nomi.

Ah, now I see!

That works too. Either way, they're both tracking Bond and tailing someone else to get to him.
    echo wrote: »
    Doesn't Ash say to Valdo: "I'm with Safin now"? I took that to mean that Ash, on Blofeld's behalf, was pushing Felix to persuade Bond to get to Cuba. And then Ash switched sides.

As @ImpertinentGoon says, Ash just says "I'm with Safin", revealing to Valdo who he's working for. He isn't changing sides.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Re: Bond knowing what Heracles is; he clearly knew about this project while he was still with MI6 years prior, there are many lines of exposition in the film about this. "You should have shut it down", "Valdo's still on the books", etc.

Yes I guess, but then why does he ask Valdo what it is? He doesn't seem to know anything about it ("why didn't it kill me?") but if he knew Valdo from his time at MI6 it would be obvious wouldn't it?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    That works too. Either way, they're both tracking Bond and tailing someone else to get to him.

Ah, so Nomi's tracking Leiter because she thinks he might go to Bond and Primo's tracking Nomi for the same reason? Yep, that works as well.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    mtm wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    Moneypenny knew it was called 'Heracles'. She would've filled Bond in before seeing M.
    That would seem quite a big breaking of state secrets at that point though- Bond doesn't work for MI6. And I think we see them meet for the first time and his entire journey to M's office, don't we?
    Since when does Naomie's Moneypenny go by the book?! She agrees to be Bond's mole behind M's back, and convinces Q to get involved at his apartment later on. At MI6, Bond walks into the room alongside her, so it's assumed there was at least some kind of banter off screen before this shot. I think she would've briefed him on the situation. I'm suggesting what I think is the simplest explanation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,930

Ah, so Nomi's tracking Leiter because she thinks he might go to Bond and Primo's tracking Nomi for the same reason? Yep, that works as well.

Yeah I like that.
    Moneypenny knew it was called 'Heracles'. She would've filled Bond in before seeing M.
    That would seem quite a big breaking of state secrets at that point though- Bond doesn't work for MI6. And I think we see them meet for the first time and his entire journey to M's office, don't we?
    Since when does Naomie's Moneypenny go by the book?! She agrees to be Bond's mole behind M's back, and convinces Q to get involved at his apartment later on. At MI6, Bond walks into the room alongside her, so it's assumed there was at least some kind of banter off screen before this shot. I think she would've briefed him on the situation. I'm suggesting what I think is the simplest explanation.

She goes off the record when she thinks there's something important which needs to be done; at the time Bond has turned up to the office there's no reason to be spilling secrets to him because the situation isn't clear yet - neither Bond nor M know the full situation until they speak to each other so she certainly doesn't. And as I say: we see every second of Moneypenny meeting Bond ("How's retirement?") right up to him walking through M's door - there's no point at which anything could have been said offscreen between the two of them.
    Re: Bond knowing what Heracles is; he clearly knew about this project while he was still with MI6 years prior, there are many lines of exposition in the film about this. "You should have shut it down", "Valdo's still on the books", etc.

Yes I guess, but then why does he ask Valdo what it is? He doesn't seem to know anything about it ("why didn't it kill me?") but if he knew Valdo from his time at MI6 it would be obvious wouldn't it?

Well, it's possible that he's never actually *seen* Heracles, just is aware of it's existence. So when he sees it, he doesn't know what it is, but he's able to connect the dots at some point. M comes up during that interrogation on the boat with Valdo, right before the fight with Ash, so that might be where he begins to connect the dots.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,930
    I suppose so... you'd have thought that as he knew about Valdo already it would be pretty instant to connect the dots if he did know about Heracles beforehand, but maybe living next to the sea for five years rots your brains a bit! :D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Yeah I like that.
    If they let me write the novelisation, I'll put it in haha :D
    edited February 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I suppose so... you'd have thought that as he knew about Valdo already it would be pretty instant to connect the dots if he did know about Heracles beforehand, but maybe living next to the sea for five years rots your brains a bit! :D

You make some good points. :))

I think we need to introduce the concept of "Bond-Logic"; it's not airtight, but it's enough to get you from one scene to the next. ;)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

You make some good points. :))

I think we need to introduce the concept of "Bond-Logic"; it's not airtight, but it's enough to get you from one scene to the next. ;)

Didn't Peter Hunt always say something along the lines of their job being driving us along for two hours. Doesn't matter if we realize inconstitencies after the fact. If you don't see them while watching the film, that's enough for them.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Especially before home video and the Internet.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Check out Awards thread. Posted a video from official Academy Awards ft. NTTD footage along with Craig, Fukunaga, Linus, Wilson, Babs, the writers, etc, discussing the pivotal Safin’s Lair scene at which Bond makes the ultimate sacrifice.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So according to IMDb, Blofeld's Right Hand Man (played by Gediminas Adomaitis) introduced in Spectre, is credited as appearing in No Time To Die, did anyone spot him?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh I loved that guy in Spectre! He was just right.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    So according to IMDb, Blofeld's Right Hand Man (played by Gediminas Adomaitis) introduced in Spectre, is credited as appearing in No Time To Die, did anyone spot him?

Cuba:

image018.jpg

All the SPECTRE agents: https://archivo007.com/agentes/

Do you remember this Southafrican?

image067.jpg

Also a guest to certain birthday party...

image068.jpg

edited February 2022 Posts: 2,923
    I loved that, too - 100 miles into the Moroccan desert and there's basically a butler in a craterbase?!
    Cue creeping grin and a slow nod of approval...
    He was in the SP helicopter crash, though - how'd he escape imprisonment in order to rock up to the bunga bunga in Cuba five years later?!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh yeah. I actually thought we saw him die?
    He certainly looked pretty crocked in the wreckage, eh!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I loved that, too - 100 miles into the Moroccan desert and there's basically a butler in a craterbase?!
    Cue creeping grin and a slow nod of approval...
    He was in the SP helicopter crash, though - how'd he escape imprisonment in order to rock up to the bunga bunga in Cuba five years later?!

That's quite the pressing question then! I didn't even know he was listed as appearing in NTTD until now.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Thanks @ggl007, and yeah I thought he was dead too, which begs the bigger question, how he was able to escape imprisonment?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    CLONES.

Bond 2.0 is back.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thanks @ggl007, and yeah I thought he was dead too, which begs the bigger question, how he was able to escape imprisonment?

With a hearse perhaps?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Perhaps this is a rare case of 'the butler didn't do it'.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

With a hearse perhaps?
    He's good friends with Shady Tree :D
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Whatever happened to the vintage helicopter Eon bought early in production? Remember that news tidbit?

Was this for the Boyle draft, or for The Rhythm Method, or something else?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2022 Posts: 5,869
    Could’ve been for Boyle. They were already building sets for his version. Or maybe they considered using it for the Norway chase?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    One of my Insta followers, Steve, played a Specte member on both the Blofeld italian meeting room set in Spectre as well as attending the Cuban party in NTTD. I will ask him to join the forum so you guys can ask away. Pretty sure he got lot of insight and info

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,389
    I'm going to nitpick here:

If Bond has been off the radar that even MI6 didn't know that he was in Matera, then how did Blofeld knew where they are? How Blofeld orchestrated such events if he's in prison? How did Blofeld hired and ordered Primo if he's in prison? They shouldn't have any connections right, because Blofeld is in Prison! And how did Blofeld called or contact Madeleine's number?
    Would have been better if it was Safin who orchestrated the plan in Matera who has been tracking Madeleine all along, this will also answers my question of how Safin went to Madeleine's clinic in London, because Safin has been tracking Madeleine since SPECTRE.
    And Bond should have called MI6 after the Matera incident, because why he didn't ask M about Blofeld?, M arrested Blofeld, then how Blofeld did those? How it happened that he's in prison but still able to communicate to his SPECTRE agents? And even to Madeleine's phone?
    And also to clarify his suspicion to Madeleine about her connection to SPECTRE.
    It was all Bond's fault really, I think if Bond told the MI6 about that incident in Matera and Madeleine's connection to Blofeld, do you think the MI6 will hire her as Blofeld's psychiatrist?
    MI6 were going to investigate and interrogate Madeleine about her comnections to SPECTRE.
    Instead, he forgot all of what happened and stayed in Jamaica.
    Now, MI6 knew nothing, they didn't know what happened, so out of their knowledge they hired Madeleine as Blofeld's psychiatrist, I know it was Blofeld's request, but they can deny it, if they know the history, because it's dangerous if Blofeld's psychiatrist will be the one who has connection to him or his organization.
    And lastly, why Madeleine didn't shoot Safin at the Cabin in Norway?

Can someone help me about this?
    Can someone clarify me this please? Thank you.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    1. He wasn't off the radar in Matera, he had retired. Spectre had already set up the bomb at Vesper's grave because there was a high likelihood that he would go it at some point, and it seems logical that Blofeld would be keeping tabs on James' whereabouts generally.

2. As to how Blofeld can do this all in prison is through his bionic eye. I don't think there's anything to suggest Primo was hired while Blofeld was incarcerated. The phone is an interesting bit of fridge logic that I'd not thought about but given that James nor Madeleine converse with it that it could be a message that Blofeld had pre-recorded. It's somewhat baroque, but then it is Blofeld we're talking about.

3. No I don't think Safin orchestrating Matera would've worked, the whole point was to make James distrustful of Madeleine, what better way than implying she's working for Spectre for which she has a familial connection (which ties the themes of the film together) and which Bond has his own animus towards. I guess Safin could've used Spectre as a guise but at this point Safin and Bond haven't met so it would ring hollow and doing it just to split Bond and Swann up sounds more baroque.

4. Okay I've already answered how Blofeld communicated in prison and the phone, so as to why Madeleine is hired as Blofeld's psychiatrist. Presumably before settling down in Jamaica James does tell MI6 about Matera, or at least about Madeleine being an accomplice of Spectre. As per the script:

BOND
    Madeleine Swann? Really

M
    Well yes, we took your information seriously, but that was five years ago. Nothing came up.

BOND
    She’s very smart and very good at hiding things.

M
    She’s a useful asset. She’s the only psychiatrist he agreed to speak to. I had to exercise my judgment.

BOND
    Your judgement is the problem.

So MI6 have seemingly done there due diligence in regards to Madeleine and that if not it's worth the risk. It's implied as with Heracles that M and MI6 more generally are quite bad at their jobs which I quite like on a personal level (how they didn't know Madeleine had a child is the one that sticks for me), but does mean that it's only when Bond and Madeleine reunite in Madeleine's childhood home that he realises the truth that yes he has been an monumental spanner.

5. Also Safin finding out where Madeleine worked is well within the realms of possibility, it's public knowledge that you could probably find it with a quick google. Whether Madeleine would be that blasé given her character and after Matera is another matter. The bigger leap in logic is why Safin waits 20 years to show up, because the Doylist explanation is that he didn't exist before Spectre the film. In-universe there could be any number of reasons why, it's not a huge problem for me but it's something that's never concretely explained in the film.

6. I'm not sure how you missed it but Madeleine definitely does shoot Safin in the cabin, with Papa's Beretta no less. Again as per the script: 'Madeleine rises, SHOOTS WILDLY, EYES CLOSED. Bullet after bullet hits the man. Until CLICK CLICK CLICK. The clip is empty.'