"Go ahead....make my day"...Dirty Harry ,Clint Eastwood discussion.

1234568»

Comments

DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm very happy to see all the love for DH.

Up yours, Pauline Kael!

Kael is one of the most ridiculously overrated critics. I've tried to give her a chance but can't get the love for her and her style, which many revered, given she trashed films like this and hated geniuses like Kubrick and championed other things that don't compare.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 6,682
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I love every frame of DIRTY HARRY. One of the greatest films of all time in that genre.
    I think my personal favorite, though might be SUDDEN IMPACT.

Paul Drake plays such a total scumbag in this film, it's ridiculous. You can't wait for Harry to just shoot the bastard.

He's a good villain, IMO. Well cast and creepy. He's kind of forgotten, really. He did a excellent job.

Do you have a favorite scene in Sudden Impact? For me I think it's the scene where Callahan gives Frankie Pentangeli a heart attack, and the scene where he visits Mrs. Kruger.

Also, when the bad guys beat him up in the pier, that's pretty tense, because they're all hitting him at the same time, unlike some movies where they take turns.

---

I've got to watch Cry Macho too.
    I love every frame of DIRTY HARRY. One of the greatest films of all time in that genre.

Paul Drake plays such a total scumbag in this film, it's ridiculous. You can't wait for Harry to just shoot the bastard.

He's a good villain, IMO. Well cast and creepy. He's kind of forgotten, really. He did a excellent job.

Do you have a favorite scene in Sudden Impact? For me I think it's the scene where Callahan gives Frankie Pentangeli a heart attack, and the scene where he visits Mrs. Kruger.

Also, when the bad guys beat him up in the pier, that's pretty tense, because they're all hitting him at the same time, unlike some movies where they take turns.

---

Yeah, that scene where he gives Pantangel a heart attack is great, @mattjoes .

"Maybe his ass is in a ringer?"

The coffee shop scene is classic. I also love the little scene in the bar: "Only with humans", and the elevator scene towards the beginning.
    That scene on the pier is really intense. Eastwood knows how to build suspense.
    True, they all pound him at once. In FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE they take turns belting him. I think he gets thrashed in A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS as well.

---

The coffee shop scene is classic. I also love the little scene in the bar: "Only with humans", and the elevator scene towards the beginning.
    True, they all pound him at once. In FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE they take turns belting him. I think he gets thrashed in A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS as well.

Have you seen 'Coogans Bluff'? Clint takes quite a beating in that, after taking on a gang in a pool room!
    Still think the first two 'Harry' movies are the best, the rest weren't in the same league!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I often find that Magnum Force is quite underrated. The first film is iconic, but the sequel takes all the things that worked about it and runs with it. I put them on par with each other. Both great.

The rest of the sequels introduce new elements to varying success, but are mostly way below the first two. They all have things to recommend them, though - the chemistry between Eastwood and Tyne Daly in The Enforcer, the same with Sandra Locke in Sudden Impact and some of the set pieces/violence. And The Dead Pool? Well, okay.....I can't think of anything for that. It sucks, mostly.
    'Magnum Force' also had the distinction of having two heavyweight Director/writers involved in the screenplay, namely Michael Cimino and John Milius!
    I often find that Magnum Force is quite underrated. The first film is iconic, but the sequel takes all the things that worked about it and runs with it. I put them on par with each other. Both great.

Agreed. It ups the ante as far as enemies and comments on abuse of power within the department rather than just politics not allowing what perps can get away with. Magnum Force is even more timely in this way considering what we've been through in the past few years.

I'm a huge Godfather fan and been years since I've seen Sudden Impact and never made that connection that was the same actor as Pentangeli. Cool connection.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,448
    BT3366 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm very happy to see all the love for DH.

Up yours, Pauline Kael!

Kael is one of the most ridiculously overrated critics. I've tried to give her a chance but can't get the love for her and her style, which many revered, given she trashed films like this and hated geniuses like Kubrick and championed other things that don't compare.

I completely agree. I don't understand what people find so appealing about her style. She comes off as someone who tries to be deliberately contrarian. Her comments regarding the DH films also reveal a personal loathing for Eastwood. Fair enough, except that a critic should judge a film without taking such things into account.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’ve posted this , but here is me, with the clipboard, stealing a scene from Clint. 😉

This is from “Tightrope”

UF0mdif.png
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Great to see you broke out of your Firefighter/First Responder role and that potential typecasting, @talos7!

Mathis1 wrote: »

---

Have you seen 'Coogans Bluff'? Clint takes quite a beating in that, after taking on a gang in a pool room!
    Still think the first two 'Harry' movies are the best, the rest weren't in the same league!

Been ages, so I'll have to watch COOGAN'S BLUFF again.
    I've never seen Coogan's Bluff. But it's Eastwood directed by Siegel, so I have to.
    I've never seen Coogan's Bluff. But it's Eastwood directed by Siegel, so I have to.

And Don Stroud is the villain. Plus it has a cool Lalo Schifrin score, and Lee J. Cobb is a hoot in it too. Watched Ridley Scotts 'Black Rain' recently, which is essentially a remake of Coogans Bluff, right down to the final motorcycle chase! Needless to say, Clints film is far suoerior!
    It’s a shame that Clint and Sean never did a film together ; I seem to remember that Sean was concerned for “Space Cowboys “.

Clint is a one of a kind , but a man’s got to know his limitations and he knew he wasn’t right for Bond, but he would have made a great Felix playing against Sean’s Bond.
    Anyone who can get their hands on the Malick/Milius Dirty Script, it's basically Tightrope.

They just rewrote the film with a different character, but the whole shebang is the same.

Magnum Force is more Cimino than Milius, despite him claiming otherwise. Just watch Thunderbolt & Lightfoot (which was written first), then Magnum Force, and you will see how the Cimino palmprints are all over Milius. Reason he had claims with the final film.
    50 anniversary Dirty Harry
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It’s funny, last night I was watching Thunderball and was thinking what a great Felix Leiter Clin Eastwood would have made. It would have been great to see him next to Sean. I don’t know if having to Alphas would have worked though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Clint would have made a great Felix certainly around that time period, Jack Lord is probably the closest we got to a Clint Felix. Saying that Rik Van Nutter has similarities to Clint, both good felix's IMO.

I think Sean and Clint would have worked well together, its a shame they never appeared in a film.
    Thinking outside of the box, imagine Clint a a main henchmen in the Red grant mold; that could have been intense.
    Clint if I recall is or was around 6'5 certainly an imposing figure.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,102
    176127a09f18480e8370c2f9e2d3dc68.jpg
    Great photo, George Peppard in the background.
    Awesome! Sean turned down a role in “Space Cowboys “.