Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Quantum of Solace
    Quantum of Solace.
    Strong plot.
    Ending.
    Gemma.
    And action.
    TND- 16 votes
    QoS- 16 votes

Oh wow, it's a tie!!!???? WHAT?!?!?! Well, let's see, is there anyone out there who hasn't cast a vote who would like to break the tie for us? If not, we'll have to call it and move on.
    That is actually quite surprising. Both are as bad as each other almost I truly feel, but really would of thought Tomorrow would of been some way out in the clear by now, never expected a tie after 32 votes on this
    TND wins.
    My favourite of the Brosnan era.

List of rating.
    TND - 12.
    QoS - 15.
    Tomorrow Never Dies...at least it sort of embraces itself as a flippant action picture and is a little bit of popcorn munching fun. QOS has some good elements and Daniel Craig is fantastic as always, but the film lacks even a half-interesting story and has some of the worst villains in the entire franchise. (TND's Carver is quite hammy, but I far prefer him and Stamper to Greene and *shudder* Elvis....)

11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    15. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    16. Quantum of Solace (2008) - 6/10
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 127
    QOS. Quite easily. Don't like TND very much!
    All right, now Tomorrow Never Dies has broken the tie and trumped Quantum of Solace!

Next round: Dr. No vs. Octopussy
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Octopussy! It's a guilty pleasure for me! :)
    Octopussy without a doubt. In short, it has much better action than Dr. No, which bores me at some parts, and also better villains and a better 007- Roger Moore baby!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DN. Duh.
    DN. Duh.

Yeah I didn't have any problem pondering over what you might have picked out of these two, hahahaha.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    They're both pretty enjoyable films, but DN definitely gets the win for me. Perfection all around.
    DN. Duh.
    I'll have some of this, also.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Well it has to be Dr No. The original and still a great Bond. Never tire of watching this. I like OP, but there are just too many silly elements in it. Could have been Moore's best.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    This is tougher than it looks. I will go with OP because Vijay did not fetch Bond's shoes.
    DN
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    OP I've sort of found a new appreciation for this, it's in my top 10 now. Moore is great as always, the villians are good (especially Orlov), the locations are great, and there's a good serious cold war story as well as some fun.

DN just, bores me, it feels like it goes on for hours. I get that it's the first one n everything but I don't think it's that great, Connery isn't on the same level he was in some of his other films. It's my 2nd least favourite Connery film, behind Diamonds.
    I know Im gonna get heat for this but Octopussy gets my vote. It's pure fun from start to finish while DN although legendary looks cheap in certain areas and could've benefitted from a better musical score.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It might be the film that started the series. Doctor No sure is a damn fine film, and one of my favourites.
    But nothing beats Octopussy.

Bet no-one saw that coming. :P
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DN

Many people have lost perspective nowadays and fail to understand exactly how impressive it is that they were able to reach this film's high quality given its small budget, relatively inexperienced team (inexperienced at least in terms of energetic spy thrillers) and the fact that there was no blueprint for the modern Bonds yet. Considering how bold they were, how much they pushed the barrier in those days, it was nothing if not a successful gamble with many strokes of genius. Unfortunately, like I said, many people have forgotten how much more of an impact DN had on films in those days versus OP in the early 80s. And today, this is what makes me decide. I think OP is an overall great film but DN ranks much higher on my list. I not only find it an entertaining film (and I'm a fan of 'older' films), I respect this film, I appreciate what it did for the franchise, but I'm afraid only a handful of fans who really want to pay deference to it are left. Some even dare to call it dull and tedious. Wow, unbelievable, blasphemous even! This is the film that introduces Connery as Bond lighting up a cigarette (they don't even dare to do that nowadays!), this is the film that shows us the Bond girl in a bikini coming out of the water (downright revolutionary in those days), this is the film where Connery's Bond shoots Dent in one of the most iconic scenes ever in the Bonds. There was no checklist like in the later films, there was groundbreaking material in all regards, from the opening titles, with gunbarrel, the Bond Theme music, the acting, the manners of the characters... A thousand times wow - WOW - WOOOW!! And one more thing I absolutely love about the film is that there's comedy, but in a controlled fashion. No slapstick, which I often find borderline insulting, like the entire Monsoon palace escape sequence in OP. It's a big no-no for me. No matter how much I love OP, it's a good meal like I've had several meals before. DN is like reliving that very first time I tasted the most excellent stuff I'd never tasted before.
    Dr. No, but I am a big fan of Octopussy.
    Well Dr No is #9 in my list and Octopussy has moved up several places to #7

Octopussy
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,399
    i respect Dr. No for what it is, and what it lead to... but it kind of just plods along at times, and isn't nearly as refined as some of it's successors - not to mention the score is just earmuffs bad... Octopussy is one of the better Moore outings, and is a fun ride.. it had some good tension moments, and also a couple WTF moments - but the good drastically outweighs the bad..

Octopussy

btw.. i know i am late on the whole Taffin bit, but that was probably the funniest damned thing i've seen in a while... i had to replay that clip a couple dozen times, and each time it got better... the Dance Remix of it is brilliant as well
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Dr. No. Octopussy was just a no-no.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Tough choice for me. Octopussy because I enjoy it more, it's fun, good escapism, and I edge it ever so slightly over Dr. No. I completely respect and get Dr. No being the original, setting everything into orbit, etc. It is a classic and has some iconic moments for sure. But just as a personal preference, I go with Octopussy over Dr. No. Usually.
    So I'm voting for it today; but it's a close call for me.
  • This is all wrong. Every sensible thought in my head says Dr No. Every single one. And yet, when I examine it closer, when I consider whether I should pop Dr No or Octopussy into the DVD Player, Octopussy emerges triumphant.

How does Roger Moore get away with things NO other Bond actor could? He is the epitome of the sophisticate Bond, the polished Bond; if Craig brings the muscle, Dalton the steel, Moore most certainly brings the elegant insouciance.

Octopussy wins, and I for one am surprised at that. It's actually a rather special Bond entry.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I gotta say Octopussy after all.
  • OP is a good movie, but Dr. No is simply better.
    It just has to be Dr No.