Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, 'The Thomas Crown Affair,' 'The Matador,' 'Evelyn,' 'Seraphim Falls,' and 'Married Life' are great to me, and really show off his ability.

Many thanks, added to the list. :)
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, 'The Thomas Crown Affair,' 'The Matador,' 'Evelyn,' 'Seraphim Falls,' and 'Married Life' are great to me, and really show off his ability.

I didn't think his acting was all that good in any of those films. Brosnan's alot like Roger Moore in that his best acting was always passable but never really that great.

Sorry for going off topic.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,504
    @DoubleOhhSeven, well I've always been a fan and have seen all of his movies, so those are the ones that are not only my favorites, but really display some entertaining/skilled acting, in my eyes. Agree to disagree.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Creasy47 wrote:

I didn't think his acting was all that good in any of those films. Brosnan's alot like Roger Moore in that his best acting was always passable but never really that great.

Sorry for going off topic.

I liked him a lot in The Matador (the "don't hit me again" line on the plane at the end was pitch perfect and actually made me laugh out loud when I first saw it) and also in The Thomas Crown Affair ("Here's to the fear of being trapped").
    @BAIN123, 'The Thomas Crown Affair' is definitely a good pick.

The Matador is so raw and raunchy, I love Brosnan in those types of roles.

"...Danny, I was f***ing joking! I don't want to talk about cheerleaders unless I'm talking about getting in a soapy shower with one!"
    Brosnan can defiantly be funny when he wants to be. He's got some real comedic chops going as far back as his Remington Steele days. I actually wish he's stick closer to that as I feel he's most likable in funny situations like Ms. Doubtfire, The Matador, and Mars Attacks. Just when he's trying to be serious he's also funny but not in a good way.
    You didn't find his serious sexual innuendos blunt and hilarious in 'The Thomas Crown Affair'?

If we'll keep speaking on the matter, PM me, so we don't derail the topic further.
    Brosnan can defiantly be funny when he wants to be. He's got some real comedic chops going as far back as his Remington Steele days. I actually wish he's stick closer to that as I feel he's most likable in funny situations like Ms. Doubtfire, The Matador, and Mars Attacks. Just when he's trying to be serious he's also funny but not in a good way.

I think he can be serious effectively at times - providing he doesn't fall into the trap of overacting - which he sometimes does.

Examples:

Bond in graveyard with Alec
    Bond with M
    Bond with Dr Kaulfman
    "The coldest weapon of all" from DAD (I love his evil expression)
  • BAIN123 wrote:

I think he can be serious effectively at times - providing he doesn't fall into the trap of overacting - which he sometimes does.

Examples:

Bond with M (in Goldeneye I assume?)
    Bond with Dr Kauffman

Agreed, all among his best moments. Just too few and far between in his tenure.

Would it be fair of me to say that in the humor department, I laughed more at Zukovsky and Wade?

BAIN123 wrote:

Examples:

Bond with M (in Goldeneye I assume?)
    Bond with Dr Kauffman

Agreed, all among his best moments. Just too few and far between in his tenure.

Would it be fair of me to say that in the humor department, I laughed more at Zukovsky and Wade?

Maybe, although the "Russian minister of transportation" line from Broz has always made me smile in the past as has "head to toe".

Add to that "I gave him the limp".

Hmm...Wade maybe not but Zukovski? Perhaps.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Easily TND. A much more enjoyable film where I can actually discern what is happening.
    QOS, I never really liked TND while QOS has enough redeeming factors for me to enjoy it.
    TND
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TND

But it was close.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TND For one specific reason: I like Carver.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694

Ah, no. Wrong place for that. I think it should go here:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2689/controversial-opinions-about-bond-films/p1

;)
    Feeling better now than last night for sure, but it was a good night, quite an experience

Both these releases are a major disappointment. Don't like either for so many reasons, but Tomorrow Never Dies wins, i.e. I could tolerate it a little more than the other, but if both these releases were to be erased and lost forever, it would be no great loss..
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I will vote for Quantum of Solace because Pierce didn't throw Teri Hatcher in the dumpster after she was killed.

• DB5DB5
    Tomorrow Never Dies because that naked blonde teaching Bond Danish is HOT, HOT, HOT!

For the next round how about Dr. No vs. Thunderball?
    DB5 wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies because that naked blonde teaching Bond Danish is HOT, HOT, HOT!

That's all it takes, eh?
  • DB5DB5
    DB5 wrote:

That's all it takes, eh?

Hey, you have your reasons for preferring one film over another, I have mine!

DB5 wrote:
    DB5 wrote:

That's all it takes, eh?

Hey, you have your reasons for preferring one film over another, I have mine!

Take it easy, only joking, mate... :-j
    I will go for QOS i like the car chase on the pts, i also like the foot chase over the rooftops (maybe in the minority for liking that). tosca scene is great, any scene with mathis is brilliant too. I think if the writers strike hadn't of happened and they had time to flesh out the script it could've been great. i understand the shaky cam criticsism but it didn't bother me too much.
    I still like TND but by the end it is just a generic action film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Ah, no. Wrong place for that. I think it should go here:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2689/controversial-opinions-about-bond-films/p1

;)

Sorry, it's in the right place. I prefer Carver over Greene because... well... who's gonna notice another dictatorship in Bolivia? Greene himself mentions this. Carver, on the other hand, wants to start WW3 and take the pictures at the same time. His plan is actually brilliant, while Greene's is... meh.
    18. Tomorrow Never Dies
    17. A View To A Kill
    16. Diamonds Are Forever
    15.The World Is Not Enough
    14. Goldfinger
    13. The Living Daylights
    12. Live And Let Die
    11. Thunderball
    10. Quantum Of Solace
    QOS is really good and no way as bad as some claim. That's why it's in my top 10 and that's why is over TND
    Jazz007 wrote:

Quantum Of Solace is the better film from my view.

I would consider Tomorrow Never Dies as the absolute worst Bond film; it's pure sensationalism, not a drop of substance inside a sea of bad puns, bloated action sequences, poor acting and unintentional hilarity - it's really the worst result of what happens when the filmmakers try to pack all the boring cliches and Bond formula points possible into one film.

Meanwhile, I find Quantum Of Solace, although not perfect, to be an extraordinary Bond film with great style, theme, action and lead performance from Daniel Craig. It's no Thunderball but it's a high-class Bond picture.

Never thought I'd find myself defending a Brozza movie, but TND is without doubt the best of his Bond entries, which makes it 4th from bottom.

As for the Moneypenny argument, I have to agree that I thought Samantha Bond was better in the role. However, no one has really nailed it since Maxwell.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Tomorrow Never Dies

Both have some similarities;

Both have high budgets; both have shorter running times; both followed on from a successful debut performance; both are high on action.

royale65 wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies

Both have some similarities;

Both have high budgets; both have shorter running times; both followed on from a successful debut performance; both are high on action.

These similarities would make for a terrific double bill someday! Can't believe I've not already done that, haha.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Tomorrow Never Dies.
    Quantum of Solace